Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP!

i recently purchased this civic 96 jdm nav system the whole panel but i cant get the screen to work does any 1 have any idea how to make it work? plz help! i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! -356669

"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very ruff, mean place, and no matter how tuff you think you are, it will always bring you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.You or nobody ain't never gonna hit as hard as life, but it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward. If you know what you're worth, go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hit."
    - Sylvester Stallone

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

didnt u checked it before paying $$$? may be its just a screen from outside...
    Your grandchildren will likely find it incredible - or even sinful - that you burned up a gallon of gasoline to fetch a pack of cigarettes!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the guy said that it would work and if it dint he would take it back! n 2 screens both of em arent working !
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very ruff, mean place, and no matter how tuff you think you are, it will always bring you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.You or nobody ain't never gonna hit as hard as life, but it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward. If you know what you're worth, go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hit."
    - Sylvester Stallone

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

do u have the wiring diagrams & complete wiring with plugs

In Intensive Care Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Is the air conditioning system working?I guess not.This has a totally different operating system.Plus you can't shift from cold/hot hair with this unit because PDM 6th gen Civic's temperature control is operated using hand force.I always like the way this unit looks.But then i don't feel like messing with my original wiring.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i love this one but the only reason i didnt buy it was that i did not see any working unit with my own eyes.
    btw i have a writeup on installing this unit from internet. will post it here when i go home as i m in office now.
    kindly do let us know if it works. wat abt other buttons, r they working.
    The most problematic thing is that the heater wire is manual but with this panel it is a touch button. i have the diagrams of heater box of both models. i think there is a motor missing in pk models which can operate it. the motor is similar as installed for air vent modes.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

R u attaching all wires properly.There is one wire blue or pink need to attach with earth to active screen.
    upload pictures of both connector or wires.
    I hope there comes a day when cancer goes back to just being a zodiac sign

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

keep us posted.
    I'd luv to hav 1 for my ride. but only if u get it right

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

iv given it haroon radio to check it out lets see now what happens! lets hope for the best!
    - Sylvester Stallone

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

How To Install the JDM EK4 Navigation

April 13, 2010 - I also posted this on www.thejdm.com - I am Wax_Hands
    Ok this will be a on going how to thread. I am currently working on the car and will add photos and directions on what to do as they develop, so be patient because I am in college everyday of the week. So from the beginning:

Here is a quick shot of the tools you will require when doing the wiring to make your work easy, electrically safe and neat. A bit cramped but I was getting ready to watch some Netflix will doing the wiring. I'm a multitasker i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - emsmilep
    i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0713

I purchased the much sought after and much loved/hated EK4 Navigation Unit second hand. All there is, is the main nav unit with pigtails. No tape deck, wiring harness or CD software.

(edit: 14 April 2010, I found a auction on eBay that has 95% of everything required to install the navigation. Go here to see)

So just not I got off the phone with a Honda Dealer in the Shinagawa district of Tokyo and they are gong to order me up a new service manual and CD software for the 1998 Honda Civic Si-R. WOOT! I will probably only 1 of a handful of people who will actually have one of these too LOL.

Click all images to expand to full size!!!

Here is your standard 96-98 SiR or Type R Navigation Unit. This houses your monitor, remote control/docking station and HVAC Controls. All three pieces can be individually removed for replacement. One thing I have found out is that if you are missing the controller you may have to buy the entire remote and docking station. I noticed that on both my units they have different ID numbers on the back of the docking stations. So I believe that they are synced to each remote. Can you replace a broken remote and use the old docking station? Im not sure but I will find out soon enough, again when the service manual arrives.

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0703

OK so for starters since I don't have the full harness I had to lengthen the harness's substantially. Here is some pictures indicating which pigtail pertains to what. All the writing on the back is correct except for where it says media unit, that is not a media unit plug in, it is the plug in for the GPS Antenna.

Most units come like this if you buy them off eBay or second hand. I mean that the harness's are cut leaving you with just pigtails. It can be wired up to work but its going to take you many hours to complete. I started doing that without a wiring diagram and I was doing pretty good. I will elaborate on that some more later.

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0709 1

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0702

I had an old spare harness from a Honda Passport which shares some of the same color coded wires so I cut and used some of them to extend the harness. This was actually a waste of time, LOL But if you are hard off about having the entire harness look the same then this is an option.

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0716

Here I am extending the length of the tape deck harness before it gets covered up my split pvc loom. Everything gets heatshrinked too!

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0719

After extending the wires ALWAYS check continuity to ensure you have a solid connection. Nothing sucks more to get everything installed only to have something not work because of a bad splice.

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0717

Here are some close ups of the connectors that go to the Navigation itself. I will have pin outs posted when the manual arrives.
    This is the plug in for the HVAC Controls. It is straight plug and play with the USDM harness.

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0710

However you will have to unplug the USDM harness The blue connector you see that is down in the back of the photo is where it is located in your USDM Civic. It will have the adapter harness that splits off your plugins for the USDM and possibly EDM HVAC controls.

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0708

This is the GPS Antenna pigtail I spoke of earlier, also pictured is the rare GPS Antenna. I don't know where this was mounted in the JDM Civic but I will find out and let you know. However as you can see the wiring shares the same colors. I will post more on this at a later date. I am not going to install the GPS Antenna at this time.

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0763

Some more close ups of the connectors so you can see what wires go where. This is temporary until the manual gets here. Going to put thumbnails in for these as they are not pertinent at the moment. First is the HVAC connector.

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0720 i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0721

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0723 i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0724
    i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0725

Tape Deck Connector on the Navigation side.
    i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0722

Ok once you have removed your USDM or EDM center console, trim pieces, etc, you will have to move wires around and start trimming the subframe to make room for the navigation unit. Otherwise the monitor hits and wont fit. You also have to trim the vents back to clear the new vents. Also the news vent ducts do not line up entirely. It will still function but you may lose a little flow.

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0706 1

I left as much of the subframe in place for two reasons. One is not to cut out the bottom section of the subframe as it is what your lower center console trim screws into to hold it in place. You cut that lower piece of metal out and the trim may sag making it an eye sore.

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0748

Also there are a ton of sharp edges and Im not a fan of sharp metal with electrical wiring running around it. So i have a ton of rubber trim that is made specifically to cover those edges up. Here are some key areas where the harness will be on.
    If you would like some PM me as I sell this stuff for $10 for ten pieces. It is easily cut and bendable to fit odd spaces, it is actually stainless sections coated in rubber, extremely durable! They come is about 10" strips.

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0742 i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0746 i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0747

This is what everything looks like now, with it all out, metal trimmed, etc. Ya be prepared to have a nice mess to clean up. It was time for break as I was getting tired and the kids were asking what I was gonna cook for dinner. So I decided that pork chops was whats gonna be for dinner and I love to BBQ!

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0749

....lathered in some Jack Daniels BBQ sauce! Not long after this I actually called it a night.

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0718

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So after dinner I did some surfing on eBay and came across a HELLA DEAL on an almost complete Navigation system. It came with everything you needed except for the tape deck and cup holders. So i bought it right then, emailed the seller and he called me back. He had the tape deck but not the cup holder. So I bought the tape deck as well, some authentic CTR side markers and some Japan parking registration decals.

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0762 i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0764 i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0765 i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0766

So I stopped working on the car until my stuff came in the mail. Along with my new nav stuff, my laptop mount and clear ecu cover came in as well. Here is everything I have so far plus all the interior that needed to be removed.

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0775

The other items that I procured in the second purchase other than the new nav unit. GPS Antenna Assymbly, note the color of the wires.

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0763

So all the steps above this still apply as you still have to do all that to get it prepped. Since I got the full harness now it saves me an *** load of time of building a new harness. As mentioned before I will put up the wiring diagram for the harness later. I will also be building full harnesses at a later date to save you all time, for a small fee of course.

Removal of the cluster, the USDM harness for the cluster only has four connectors, 2 blue, 1 yellow, 1 green. The JDM harness for the cluster has 5 connectors, the extra big green one as pictured is the JDM one. I'm not sure what the fifth on is for. Ill find out later and post that information. Thumbnails:

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0777

USDM cluster connectors, notice no large green connector.

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0778

Removal of the USDM dash harness. Thumbnails, click to enlarge:

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0771 i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0772

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0773 i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0774

Here is a picture of the JDM Dash Harness. I will take a picture of the USDM harness later and make and overlay of the two together.

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0768

Also a little side uninstall, I got tired of the Indiglo gauges, they never worked anyways so i took them off. Thumbnails:

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0769 i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0770

As the heat goes up I keep myself hydrated with a some SOBE Life Water 0 Calories, FTW!

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - th IMG 0780

Ok once you get your new harness in you will begin to notice a few new connectors, on the far left there is a blue connector that I did not know how to identify but I assume that it must be for the GPS Antenna because of the color of the wires match the GPS harness on the back of the navigation unit. This blue plug (Ill get a picture later) will be hanging down along side the plugs for your power mirros, moonroof and fog lights.

At this time you can reinstall your cluster, after that you will find a two prong connector with wires color coded as brown with one gray ring and white with a blue strip I think (I'll recheck tomorrow). After talking with .saint he said it was the ambient light sensor. This is mounted in the top middle of the dash right near the windshield. Now it is impossible to access this area by hand due to the HVAC ducting. A lot of people say you have to remove the entire dash to install this. However I choose to "Work Smarter, Not Harder". If you take a large zip you can easily fish it through the top of the dash and the duct work exiting right near where the breakout is in the harness where this wire set comes from making it easy to fish it back through the dash as pictured. You can now plug the ambient light sensor in and snap it into the dash.

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0779 i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0783

Since you are here you will soon find out that that if you try to install the navigation the harness plug for the hazard lights is not long enough. Well thats because its designed to install on a RHD (duh!) where the hazards are on the right not the left like in the USDM models. So you will have to cut and extend the harness for the Hazard Lights. This is the plug:

i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0751 1 i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0753 1

Time for some jams by Pandora Radio on my Motorola Droid!
    i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0752 1

By now you are familiar with what goes where. Go ahead if you havent and route all the remaining harness's and whatever else you have through the backside and down to the lower portion of the dash. You should be getting ready to install the navigation into the center console which you can now do.
    i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0757 1

You can start connecting the media unit to the navigation and tape deck. You will also have to plug the antenna cable into the media unit. The media unit will have an additional antenna cable that you plug into the tape deck. Luckily for me the previous owner installed a antenna signal booster.The plug ins for the media unit are pretty self explanatory.
    i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0766 i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0767

I am guessing that the media unit's factory install location was in the trunk space due to the extra long cables that are attached. I just rolled them up and zip tied them to save space. With the media unit you can plug in a TV Antenna, PS2/DVD player of your choice (sans HD, this is mid 90's tech remember LOL), I will be using my PS2 so I am going to mount the Media Unit inside the dash tucked away.

So after reinstalling all the panels and not having the cup holders the media unit and tape deck are gonna fill the hole for the time being. Picture of everything installed with the power on.
    i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0787 i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0790

----------------
    ----------------
    I will finish this HOW TO when the manual gets here so I can post pics out of it as well. But here is the 98% complete installation along with my laptop mount for tuning.
    i bought this civic 96 nav system but i cant get the screen to work! HELP! - IMG 0859

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sorry for clutterring everything. i realized after posting that a link would hav worked
    Sierra Fox Racing : Specializing in Honda

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thanx a lot bro! i hope this works out! once again thanx!!!
    - Sylvester Stallone

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

kindly post updates on progress.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

sure will...
    - Sylvester Stallone

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

any update?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

bro the update is that iv got the screen working but the nav system seems 2b locked it needs 2b unlocked using some kind of code or something bcoz when u insert an audio cd it gives some error in japanese! so so any suggestions what 2 do and from where?
    - Sylvester Stallone

In Intensive Care Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by aamirq View Post
    bro the update is that iv got the screen working but the nav system seems 2b locked it needs 2b unlocked using some kind of code or something bcoz when u insert an audio cd it gives some error in japanese! so so any suggestions what 2 do and from where?
    Zalil ho gaye na.Kuch nahi ho sakta ab.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers