Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Radiator building pressure when cold... CIVIC 06 VTi

hello guys hope you are doing all fine n enjoying the Holy month of ramadan
    well I'm just a bit concerned as most of the regular visitors of this section must have know that I faced a heatup issue in my civic 2006 a week before almost (https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/eng...needs-done-now) ...well after removing the thermostat valve its been a week my car is doing great Alhumdulillah and the temperature stays on the 45% mark ...since after the heatup I've made a habit to check the water level every day ...My car was reducing like almost a cup of water (50km drive with a.c every day ) every morning when I check the water but no rising of temperature ,the radiator fan was kept on auto and every time when I use to open the radiator cap there was a sound of gas escaping like when you open a bottle of soft drink but yesterday mechanic put the fan on direct as he said since there's no thermostat valve at the moment I should keep the fan direct as water gets hot quickly since its circulating in the engine all the time now and tends to vaporise thus reducing the water level ...now today what I felt was the water level didn't decrease at all and the car took way too long to get to the normal temperate 45% mark even but when this morning I opened the cap the pressure built in it was too much to throw some water out of the radiator ....the engine was off and the car is cold as it was parked for the whole night
    I'm wondering could this be because of the following reasons
    1) Faulty Radiator cap
    2) I usually keep the reservoir next to the radiator full ,could this be because of that, that the water might not be able to get to the reservoir from the radiator and thus creates pressure inside the radiator and when I pump the throttle the water level in the radiator rises and some of the water falls out of the radiator when the cap is open
    3) is there some air in the system
    4) Or the worst case a weak Head gasket

P.S I know its not advisable to run without a thermostat and a direct fan but Im just wanted to make sure that it was the thermostat valve that went bad and nothing else causing the car to head up ...and as soon as I put the thermostat back I will replace the water with coolant
    the radiator cap which Im using is the oem one that comes from factory 1.1 bar

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

oh my bad ...lol
    I did study physics in my olevels but you know spending some time with these mechanics really brings your IQ to their level
    anyhow is magnitude right ...55 to 60 ?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Proverbial_Slang View Post
    Excellent advise by Xulfiqar bhai. You need to get rid of the mechanic!!!

On a separate note, change all rubber hoses and inspect the metal one underneath the engine before you go about the change.

Put the thermostat back in and engage the radiator fan switch as well. The engine should be running at operating temperature. If there is air in the system from the head and you want to delay the treatment, remove the pin from the thermostat valve, which will allow air to move about until you fix the issue with the head.

Remember that there is an order and torque with which the head bolts need to be tightened. Use a torque wrench.
    thankyou so much for the input , can you further please specify which pin are you talking about

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I just did a boiling water test with my Tstat valve and it was opening and closing perfectly, but when it was in the car the car was throwing water out of the radiator as the temperate reached half with the radiator cap open and when I removed it the water is stable but I guess its after removing it that the pressure is being built it the radiator as I didnt notice it happening before

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Head gasket leak issue.Try to tight head bolts to specific torque as Honda suggest(Nm=Newton meter).

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Seems like Bolts of Head are loose... get them tighten, i was facing same prob!!
    Platinum&Iridium Plugs,Performance 8MM Wires,Automotive Bulbs and Bosch Horns for sale Contact: 0333-3035482

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Today I took my car to a Honda 2s dealership for a checkup and the guy there was the most honest mechanic I've ever met...lol
    he took a transparent mineral water bottle, filled it half with water and placed in on the top of the radiator neck upside down is such a way that it was air tightened and the top of the water bottle was inside the radiators neck, now he asked me to start the car ,what we observed was that there were just very few bubbles which we could now see clearly in the bottle rising from the radiator and moving up the bottle till the surface of the water ,just one or two bubbles use to come after a delay of 4-5 seconds each and stopped coming altogether like after 45-60seconds,he kept observing it for 2-3 minutes but no bubble appeared and when I switched of the engine again 1 or 2 bubbles were seen in the bottle ,he repeated it again and the results were same therefore he concluded the gasket is okay not that weak, its a very minor fault and it shouldn't bother me much and told me not to get the engine head open again and again,he just asked me to check for the head bolts
    but the problem now is those bubbles create too pressure in the radiator and when I open the radiator cap the water erupts like a volcano even when the car is dead cold and left for over night, what I think is if I didnt let the air pressure to escape from the radiator every day it would result in blown hose pipe in future plz tell me is this theory of mine correct ,

other thing is that pressure made up in the radiator causes water to erupt resulting in a loss of water and I think the radiator only requires refilling for that water lost only and it doesnt reduce water on its own

lastly can this pressure which is built up inside the radiator also cause the car to heatup?? if its built up in excess

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

and that uncle at the honda dealership also told me if in case I opt to replace the headgasket he told me not to get the engine head faced as it would result in severe heatups in future and suggested me to get a carbon/fiber/soft what ever it is called gasket not the metal one

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the more mechanics I meet he more confused I get

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You see small air bubble on idle but when you are driving bubbles comes more and more often.After that you have air in your coling system(heating issue) and high pressure(can blow hose pipe or upper plastic top of radiator).Try to tight again the head bolts,if donts work replace bolts and gasket with new.Metal gasket is standard from manufacturer and fiber is standard for that uncle mechanic.Who you trust?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

lol , that uncle mechanic was an employee at the authorised Honda dealership and the Honda guys themselves are saying to go for the fiber one
    secondly what Im thinking is if the head is faced and the block doesn't needs facing and is straight that only the metal gasket would fit perfectly and if I don't face head it sounds reasonable to go for the fiber one instead as even a 0.1mm difference in the head would cause the compression to leak if the metal gasket is used while but still Im confused

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

do you fill the water resorvoir next to the radiator completely full? if you do then thats the mistake i think , a good amount of distance must be kept away for the pressure to create to suck the water to the radiator, try it there is a mark present on the bottle stating "full" if there isnt just fill up above half and add a bit more and then check, also try driving without ac for a day and check whether there is any pressure built the next day in the radiator or not.. and i too would never suggest facing and also try replacing radiator cap and then try, i hope your problem gets solved soon
    ѕαмму

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by -Sammy- View Post
    do you fill the water resorvoir next to the radiator completely full? if you do then thats the mistake i think , a good amount of distance must be kept away for the pressure to create to suck the water to the radiator, try it there is a mark present on the bottle stating "full" if there isnt just fill up above half and add a bit more and then check, also try driving without ac for a day and check whether there is any pressure built the next day in the radiator or not.. and i too would never suggest facing and also try replacing radiator cap and then try, i hope your problem gets solved soon
    When you fill the bottle with water to the max(in the midle of the bottle) engine must be HOT in normal temp.When engine is cold water is going again to radiator(the cap has two valve) and the level is reduced to min.And if you have leaked head gasket you have high pressure in the system,water expand to the bottle but can't go again back due to pressure inside.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Billa Head gasket have different size to compensate the head facing.This mechanic can't seal the engine with used bolt maybe and is suggest you for fiber gasket.Please tight the bolts again.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

here is the pic of bleeding bolt (Red circle )
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Did you find any solution of your problem ??

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

nop bro not yet as I don't face any sort of heating issue, its just the pressure being building up in the radiator nothing severe alhumdulillah , will go for the gasket change after eid iA, Im sure head gasket is the culprit
    do let me know which gasket you're going for ,the metal one or the fibre one

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by billa69 View Post
    nop bro not yet as I don't face any sort of heating issue, its just the pressure being building up in the radiator nothing severe alhumdulillah , will go for the gasket change after eid iA, Im sure head gasket is the culprit
    do let me know which gasket you're going for ,the metal one or the fibre one
    Please check your water pump. Open the rad cap start the car and give a little throttle. You should see the water travelling from on side to another .

You can look up my old thread. Last year i had similar problems and trust me 6/7 mechanics i showed my car to suggested head gasket replacement while it was always the pump. Replaced it and the whole pressure problem was solved but the system was still reducing water. So i replaced the radiator even though it wasnt leaking or anything but i just replaced it and guess what.. No more reduction in water level. I now top up every three months which is also very very little.

You should really listen to Xulfiqar. Trust me 99% of the mechanics don't know what they are talking about. Its not the matter of being honest, its just that they are not qualified enough.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by billa69 View Post
    nop bro not yet as I don't face any sort of heating issue, its just the pressure being building up in the radiator nothing severe alhumdulillah , will go for the gasket change after eid iA, Im sure head gasket is the culprit do let me know which gasket you're going for ,the metal one or the fibre one
    Tight the bolts again,its 5 min work.Your upper water hose is going to blow for sure(my experience).

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fahadwizz View Post
    Please check your water pump. Open the rad cap start the car and give a little throttle. You should see the water travelling from on side to another .

You can look up my old thread. Last year i had similar problems and trust me 6/7 mechanics i showed my car to suggested head gasket replacement while it was always the pump. Replaced it and the whole pressure problem was solved but the system was still reducing water. So i replaced the radiator even though it wasnt leaking or anything but i just replaced it and guess what.. No more reduction in water level. I now top up every three months which is also very very little.

You should really listen to Xulfiqar. Trust me 99% of the mechanics don't know what they are talking about. Its not the matter of being honest, its just that they are not qualified enough.
    thanks for your concern and sharing your experience brother but waterpump is working absolutely fine , my father had doubt on the waterpump aswell and he checked it thoroughly its working fine bro , I can see the water moving inside the radiator and the formation of foam like substance in the rad after a while which proves its working fine

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Angeldust View Post
    Tight the bolts again,its 5 min work.Your upper water hose is going to blow for sure(my experience).
    can you specify on what magnitude/torque should I tighten the head bolts again and is there some sort of sequence/pattern we have to follow while tightening them

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

User Tag List