Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: expert help required again! civic 96 strange sound when the car is moving

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default expert help required again! civic 96 strange sound when the car is moving

hey guys, i have a 96 civic that had an almost complete front suspension remake/replacement due to a very costly accident. i got it back from repairs today and noticed some wierd noise coming from the front end. due to the low frequency kind of sound, i cant quite isolate which side. the following is what i can share about it:

when i turn right, the car complies, but i feel an intense vibration from under the hood, and it sounds like something is rubbing.
    when i rev in neutral there is no sound. barely audible when i turn left and drive forward. car feels balanced generally.
    but from no sound to the left,
    when i turn the wheel to the middle there is moderate sound that increases only when im accelerating (ie when the rpm increases so does the volume of sound and the intensity of vibration). it has nothing to do with the speed. if im at 70kmph, and in 4th gear (low rpm) there is less sound. but at 70 still in second gear (high rpm) there is tons of sound and vibration. it sounds almost like a performance exhaust.
    when im turning right even at low rpm there is lots of noise and its quite loud...

when i say "turn" i only described fully cut to one side, but it does it through the whole arc.
    also the sound only comes if the car is moving. though not if im fully cut to the left. or rather it might be there, just very low.

i'd really be grateful if some one could shed some light on this...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

check engine mounts
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

anything else?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

what about bearing faults, hub problems (left side spindle hub was replaced completely), axle issues (one was replaced).

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bump

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if your mounts are good then check the exhaust system, if original flanges and flex joint are present then loosen the entire system and start tightening from the engine to the back. Make sure the rubber hangers are in perfect shape too.

If its redone by welder ustaad than all bets are off - you will have to get down and dirty with resonance and play with it.

The above only is good if the sound is not vehicle speed dependant,

If the sound is vehicle speed dependant, then firstly swap the tires front to back and recheck, next check the wheel bearings - if you replaced them with replacement parts then there is a 50% chance your bearings were bad, about half of the new FWD front wheel bearings Ive seen in Pakistan were about 4% filled with grease that was very poor quality too, I always packed more into them, about 20 grams.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@xulfiqar thanks for the help bro. your advice was spot on. the engine wasnt mounted right. we didnt even change anything. we just opened up the mounts and remounted the engine. sound and vibrations are both gone now. now in first gear, near around 4k rpm, there is a sound like the hood is rattling, but it goes away if i go over 3.5-4k rpm or if i push the clutch. i assume its still the mounts. after eid i'll have it looked at.

there is just one other issue now. last problem to solve before my once totaled car is 100% back from the dead MA. the steering sways a little when im at speeds of around 90 or above. feels like the car drifts just a tiny bit left and right and i can do nothing about. as though its getting buffeted around in the wind. the steering wheel moves by its self a very minute amount also. any idea what it could be? i'll be making a new thread about it and post the link to it here.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List