Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Civic EG meter repair; where to go?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Civic EG meter repair; where to go?

Guys,

I own an EG Civic and am facing with a small but annoying issue. The fuel and temperature dials in my meter are not working like they should. The fuel shows half a tank even when empty and the temp does not rise at all. Have tried repairing once but to no avail. Anyone know of a good meter repair guy in Karachi?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i think it a wiring problem ur fuel guage wire is earthing
    if there is problem in meter then dont get it repaired change it with kabli one
    Muhammad Ali Murad

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by supraman2jz View Post
    Guys,

I own an EG Civic and am facing with a small but annoying issue. The fuel and temperature dials in my meter are not working like they should. The fuel shows half a tank even when empty and the temp does not rise at all. Have tried repairing once but to no avail. Anyone know of a good meter repair guy in Karachi?
    First you have to check the sending units for both temperature and fuel since it very unlikely that both have got damaged simultaneously so the problem seems to be with cluster. If you check the back side of the cluster
    Civic EG meter repair where to go? -1183402
    here you see temperature gauge at the left and the fuel gauge at the right. The power and sending unit signals are transferred to the gauge through the three screws present at the back of each gauge. You will be able to see "+", "-", "T" and "F" written near the screws. "+" and "-" are for 12 volt supply for each of the gauge, similarly "T" and "F" are for the Temperature and Fuel signals respectively.
    Connect 12 volt to the "+" and "-" terminals and then short the "T" screw with the "-" terminal check the needle it should start moving towards H, but remove the shorting between "T" and "-" before it reaches H, repeat similar procedure for the fuel gauge. Be careful not to connect "T" or "F" with "+" as there should be some minimum value of resistance between these two points.
    If the gauges are working then trace back the error towards the connector and check he continuity along the whole track.
    If all is OK except the gauges itself then you might have damaged the gauges by overtightening the screws at the back of the gauges. For this you have to remove the dial that contains the fuel and temp gauges and check the thin wires that run from each screw post to the bobbin-coil.

Regards
    Honda Enthusiasts Against Ricer Trash

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Wow that's some good info. I'll check this myself or get it checked by someone. I had the fuel and temperature sensor units checked and they seem to be working fine. Problem is with the cluster.

One meter repair guy suggested that the bobbin coil was faulty, changed that with another one, checked it when the cluster was out and it worked fine but upon installing it back in the car, it would not work.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Seems like the track on the sheet is damagaed somewhere, it may be a microscopic crack that may not be visible to the naked eye. Try to scrub a little the surface of the track where the connector sits in, so that a proper connection is ensured there. And if the track is damaged then you have to use a wire piece to bypass that area. The sheet at the back of the cluster can also be changed it is a simple task, all you have to do is to find another apparently damaged cluster and replace the sheet with that one.

Regards
    Honda Enthusiasts Against Ricer Trash

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List