76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Honda Civic EG8 unusual electrical problem solved

Hello All, I faced a weird problem some weeks back that left me scratching my head. I own a Civic EG8, 1995 4 door. All the wiring is stock and OEM without any jugaarhs. The problem I was facing was solved and this thread is for educational purposes only, so that if someone in the future does face a similar problem, he may find this helpful, as I could not find any such information on PakWheels or most International forums, although the solution to the problem was very simple.

One fine day, the instrument cluster needles, along with the dash clock, reverse lights and indicators went dead, although the hazards seem to still work fine. This happened a couple of days after I had re-installed the central locking system so I had a doubt it happened because of something not wired up right during the process. But I could not for the life of me, figure out the relation between these malfunctions.

I did a bit of searching and found this to be an elusive problem that not many owners could figure out and just drove their cars like that. I found nothing on Pak Wheels, but did however manage to gather some information from US based forums e.g. d-series, club civic, etc. Turns out, the # 15 fuse which is a 10A, in the under-dash fuse box was blown, and ironically, it operates all 4 things, i.e. the instrument cluster needles, the dash clock, reverse lights and the indicators. I also read somewhere that this fuse is notorious for blowing up if you have recently gotten some sort of electrical work done to your car. I dismantled the under dash cover by taking out 4 screws, took out the fuse box and after a bit of trouble shooting, found the # 15 fuse. Replaced that with a new fuse and everything went back to normal Allah ka shukar.

I had a hard time collecting all the info and actually trouble shooting as I'm not very good with electrics, so I have summed up everything in this thread. Here is a diagram of the fusebox and a list of all the fuses. If you notice on the diagram, it only says "Back up light", but it does control all the other things as well.

Honda Civic EG8 unusual electrical problem solved -1277362Honda Civic EG8 unusual electrical problem solved -1277363Honda Civic EG8 unusual electrical problem solved -1277364

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you for sharing. Will be helpfull to some people.
    None of the brave deserve fair....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I do hope so..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

That's The Common Reason Of Meter And Lights Going Down.......!!

1st Thing 1st....You Will Have To Check Fuses 1st..

I Have Blown Them Couple Of Times And Even I Blown A Main EFi Fuse Once So Strangely That That As You See It The Metal Part Is All Attached But It Blows From Leg Side.....Physical Inspection Of Fuse Tells Its Good But As I Got Tired And Tried With Multi-Meter It shows Blown....!!
    TOYOTA Sprinter 86- AE80 DOHC 20v'D TOYOTA Corolla 98- AE101 4AFE 16v

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yea I learned it the hard way, will check the fuses 1st thing the next time something like this happens (God forbid). Ironically, someone had installed a 7.5A fuse instead of the proper 10A required, so it was just a ticking bomb. I don't know if this is a common practice nowadays or not, but I used to see my father do this when I was a kid; always carry spare fuses in the car. You don't know when you might need them.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List