Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Civic 05, power steering making noise

AoA,

For quite some time now, the steering of my car is making some high pitched sound. Here are some of the observations:

-Its get louder and even higher pitched when i am turning
    -Its random but 70% of times it is there
    -I opened bonnet and felt the pipe on this part (circled in picture attached) and the pipe was vibrating quite bad. The part and the pipe itself was not vibrating but it felt like the fluid inside was really turbulent.
    -I have checked the oil levels and the levels are fine. By the look of my un professional eyes, the oil doesn't look dirty either
    -I once bent a bit near steering and i could actually hear some squeaky khsk tsk like sounds even when it was stationary.

I will be getting it checked this monday but i want to know what can i expect and what actually is wrong so that i don't get ripped off by locals.

There is another problem relating to engine on petrol which i will post the details on other section but first i need help here.
    Kindly note this is not my car, i just searched for a pic on google to identify the part
    Civic 05 steeing making noise -1280393

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

salam
    i have the same problem with my civic 2001 exi old shape. all of a sudden the steering is feeling a bit stiff and tilted towards one side. i checked the fluid and its kind of yellowish though the level is fine in reservoir. i can also see that filter in the reservoir is kind of choked. checked the suspension and that is fine. power steering pump is fine and not making any noise. no leaks. rack is also not making any noise. belt is tight. do u guys think that changing the fluid will effect the smoothness? and that tilt is may be due to the u-joint between steering column and rack inside cars cabin have misaligned?
    am asking u guys coz u know how our mechanics create a heck of a job out of a simple issue
    waiting for ue experiencd and brotherly advices , plzz

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bradpit View Post
    So can u compare its popularity to 96-2000 model or reborn 2006-2012 ?

That is why the used car price of Prosmtec shape is almost 50% less compare to reborn.

The power steering will fail, the coils will eventually fail at 80,000 km also and suspension will never adjust always go to left.

Eventually the leak of power steering oil will also lead to failure of alternator because the stupid design is that its directly below.

Not to mention that once the Prosmatec transmission requires overhaul you wont find a good mechanic in Karachi to open it and just for maintenance like torque converter and transmission filter the whole shaft needs to be opened so its a 40K expense after every 120,000 km.

These cars were only good for initial 5 years once they cross the 100,000 KM mark they will make you bankrupt in months.

A simple water pump will cost 5,500/- and a single door power motor is for 2,000 if u will go to OEM part.
    honda is honda bro, shapes dont matter
    u have said so much about new models of civic based on ur limited knowledge, but i m telling u my experience that 01-05 model civics have far more better brakes than 96-2000. they are less noisy on roads. more spacious. better engine bay fittings bla bla. the only edge a 2000 civic has on new models is that it drives faster and looks gud to me and majority of young generation due to its sporty looks and huge margin of body modifications.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hornblower View Post
    salam
    i have the same problem with my civic 2001 exi old shape. all of a sudden the steering is feeling a bit stiff and tilted towards one side. i checked the fluid and its kind of yellowish though the level is fine in reservoir. i can also see that filter in the reservoir is kind of choked. checked the suspension and that is fine. power steering pump is fine and not making any noise. no leaks. rack is also not making any noise. belt is tight. do u guys think that changing the fluid will effect the smoothness? and that tilt is may be due to the u-joint between steering column and rack inside cars cabin have misaligned?
    am asking u guys coz u know how our mechanics create a heck of a job out of a simple issue
    waiting for ue experiencd and brotherly advices , plzz
    You can get your car to dealership, tell them the symptoms and a senior guy will able to diagnose what the issue can be. After that get a price quote, if you can afford it go for it otherwise you now what the problem is so you can get it done from else where.
    Btw i dont think hydraulic system has anything to do with with tilt of steering...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by HellsGuardian View Post
    You can get your car to dealership, tell them the symptoms and a senior guy will able to diagnose what the issue can be. After that get a price quote, if you can afford it go for it otherwise you now what the problem is so you can get it done from else where.
    Btw i dont think hydraulic system has anything to do with with tilt of steering...
    thnx bro for ur advice
    i changed the PSF, steering is smooth now and tilt has gone i dont know how as soon as i changed the fluid. may be PSF has something to do with that too

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Once my Honda civic 2005/2006 power steering started making loud noise and the steering wheel becoming hard with intervals. I opened the bonnet and found the hydraulic oil level in bottle was very low. Then I found leakage from the main supply pipe. I made up the level with STP power steering oil and problem solved. Next day I bought a Chinese main pipe from Montgomery road and it just cost me Rs 3000 while at Honda dealer workshop at Kalma Chowk lahore it was costing Rs 9500. I got it replaced from a local good mechanic who charged me only Rs 600 and then I completely drained the old oil and replaced it with STP power steering oil which cost me Rs 400 for 1 liter. So I advice to all car owners to keep on checking the power steering oil regularly and try to replace it after 2 to 3 years for prolonging the life of your costly power steering pump. Khawaja Jodat, Wapda town Lahore. 03474407108

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by khjodat View Post
    Once my Honda civic 2005/2006 power steering started making loud noise and the steering wheel becoming hard with intervals. I opened the bonnet and found the hydraulic oil level in bottle was very low. Then I found leakage from the main supply pipe. I made up the level with STP power steering oil and problem solved. Next day I bought a Chinese main pipe from Montgomery road and it just cost me Rs 3000 while at Honda dealer workshop at Kalma Chowk lahore it was costing Rs 9500. I got it replaced from a local good mechanic who charged me only Rs 600 and then I completely drained the old oil and replaced it with STP power steering oil which cost me Rs 400 for 1 liter. So I advice to all car owners to keep on checking the power steering oil regularly and try to replace it after 2 to 3 years for prolonging the life of your costly power steering pump. Khawaja Jodat, Wapda town Lahore. 03474407108

thnx bro for sharing ur experience .... try to use original honda PSF bro .... honda's do mind other fluids

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^^ They really do...And once they are hooked on non Honda fluid, the system starts failing. It is then too late revert back to HONDA PSF... I did and ended with a failed Pump.

Honda PSF only....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

once i had the problem with my steering assembly in this same model...there were some strange sounds and when i turn full steering sound became high and start dropping its oil from steering pump...then i replaced my steering assembly with kabuli and then problem was resolved

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

when i was paying 9500rs to honda syugoi, i was just thinking that either this pipe is made of gold or even more valueable material

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

As you said that we should only use Honda power steering oil otherwise power steering pump may be damaged. But then why people use different brands of engine oils available in market other than Honda engine oils but that has no bad effect on engine. Then why it is so specially with power steering fluid. Please clarify me.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

As you said that we should only use Honda power steering oil otherwise power steering pump may be damaged. But then why people use different brands of engine oils available in market other than Honda engine oils but that has no bad effect on engine. Then why it is so specially with power steering fluid. Please clarify me.
    Honda uses different type of power steering pump which require a specific type of fluid. Engine oils are universal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List