Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Civic 99, need new shocks

AoA PWs
    I need to replace all 4 shocks for my civic. Plz advise on the brand and prices.
    Any Faisalabad members plz suggest a place to buy.
    A shop was selling set of 4 to me for just 13500. Both KYB and Tokiko.
    I don't know what they r. Gas or oil.
    Or should I go for qabli.
    Urgent reply required as I will buy them tomorrow

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Brother I read your article on Honda CNG and throttle body stuff you contributed a lot.

Tokico were previously made in Japan and were better than KYB since Hitachi acquired them they r made in Taiwan with complaints of leakage. Only the rear Tokico r available made in Japan.

The sad part is that KYB gas shocks for 1999 civic made in japan EXCEL-G brand will cost you 12K for front only. Malaysia ones 9K not the same as Japan but still very good.

The good news is that if u plan to keep the car they will easily last for 6 years even on village roads.

mine in 1997 city front are working fine since 2006 the rear have become soft lately since on CNG but they still dont hit the ground or speed breaker.

Rear ones are 8K for Japan and 6K for Malaysia.

Part number Front 341203 Rear 341198.

6th gen civic had the best suspension ever from Honda with double wishbone all around now you dont get them even in a 10M rupees new Accord which Honda Atlas sells.

Honda introduced cost cutting from Prosmatec shape.

I highly recommend to go for new let me know if u want any help.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@bradpit
    Thnx a lot bro. I really appreciate ur help. I will b keeping the car for atleast 2 years so that's why I was asking.
    I definitely like to go for new ones but a little short on budget these days. So I was thinking abt going for qabli.
    But will check with the shop who told me they sell 13.5k for all 4. I don't know how they can sell at such cheap price.
    I will b replacing em in the morning. Let's c wat I decide, new or qabli

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by irfan44 View Post
    @bradpit
    Thnx a lot bro. I really appreciate ur help. I will b keeping the car for atleast 2 years so that's why I was asking.
    I definitely like to go for new ones but a little short on budget these days. So I was thinking abt going for qabli.
    But will check with the shop who told me they sell 13.5k for all 4. I don't know how they can sell at such cheap price.

wateva u do...dont go with kabuli shocks...total waste of money and effort...get ur mind straight and get KYB...they are best in the price range

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@bradpit
    don't go for qabli.... waste of money, they won't last
    success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@bradpit
    Brother they r reconditioned.

Go for kabli shocks good ones cost 2000/piece.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I got the rear ones on my EG Civic re-conditioned twice from a well reputed place in Karachi, the first attempt was unsuccessful as the shocks leaked within the first week of use. The shop owner acknowledged, and then re-did the job. No leakeage as yet but the ride is not as smooth as it used to be, can feel even the slightest of bumps and the back end feels "loose". Shop owner says everything is fine under there. Lesson learned, AGAIN; There's no replacement for new parts. I will be getting new shocks installed soon In sha Allah.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

before condemning the struts - inspect the bushings really closely, if they are sloppy (very high chance) - the car will ride like a buffalo in mud.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

10 out of the 16 bushes in the rear were bad. Replaced the bad ones with new ones when the car was at the shop. It rides eaxctly like that; a buffalo in mud.

The only thing left are the springs. The guy said they have been "shortened" by someone previously, God knows why. Despite that, the car still has high ground clearance.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the OE springs in your car are 2 stage, meaning they have tighter coils at the edges and wider coils in the middle, it makes for easy movement for small bumps while controlling large movements too.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

One could expect something like that from Honda, weird company, weird cars, but in a good way none the less. I'll get new sprigs and see what becomes of it.

uiv
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by xenerking View Post
    wateva u do...dont go with kabuli shocks...total waste of money and effort...get ur mind straight and get KYB...they are best in the price range
    Quote Originally Posted by star2 View Post
    don't go for qabli.... waste of money, they won't last
    I've been running Bilal Gunj bought dampers in my car EK Civic since 2009, and they still ride like new. In fact the whole suspension was done, with RBI bushing, in mid 2009 and it's still running strong.
    Mind you, it involves sticking to the stock wheels, mostly driven in city, almost never over loading it, and absolutely never spraying diesel to its belly.

Just get good ones from a half-cut and you won't be disappointed, that should cost you around 8-10K.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by uiv View Post
    I've been running Bilal Gunj bought dampers in my car EK Civic since 2009, and they still ride like new. In fact the whole suspension was done, with RBI bushing, in mid 2009 and it's still running strong.
    Mind you, it involves sticking to the stock wheels, mostly driven in city, almost never over loading it, and absolutely never spraying diesel to its belly.

Just get good ones from a half-cut and you won't be disappointed, that should cost you around 8-10K.
    Here you go. The kabarias are way more clever than you and me brother. Why they would give you fine shocks in 4-5k or be it 6-7k. They know their product's worth more than you and me. And for the right thing, I mean a fine working one, they will sometimes ask more than the actual new replacement part is costing. It's my own experience. And as far as the shock absorbers are concerned, there is no point buying them used.... you don't know how much they are used and surely they are used for years. Its not likely that someone just replaced them in Japan and next week his car got MOT failed, they cut it and send it over to Pakistan though it may be the case if you are really really lucky....

Most of the times, they are rebuilt kits in the shocks that give very good feel for a week or so typically and after that...... you know
    success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

and that half cut scene is very rare, and they cost most probably the same or a little less than the actual replacement parts cost....

uiv
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by star2 View Post
    Here you go. The kabarias are way more clever than you and me brother. Why they would give you fine shocks in 4-5k or be it 6-7k. They know their product's worth more than you and me. And for the right thing, I mean a fine working one, they will sometimes ask more than the actual new replacement part is costing. It's my own experience. And as far as the shock absorbers are concerned, there is no point buying them used.... you don't know how much they are used and surely they are used for years. Its not likely that someone just replaced them in Japan and next week his car got MOT failed, they cut it and send it over to Pakistan though it may be the case if you are really really lucky....

Most of the times, they are rebuilt kits in the shocks that give very good feel for a week or so typically and after that...... you know
    Half-cut scene isn't rare, not for these cars atleast. But yeah you have to plan ahead sometimes.

Trick is to locate a newly imported half cut that hasn't been sold to the shopkeepers yet, and call dibs on whatever part you fancy. But you'd have to be a junkyard junkie for such routine, or have some inside source. Now, the condition of cut itself should give you enough idea about the condition of parts in it.

Yeah, sometimes you have to pay more for peace of mind or 'vehem' - but then again, sometimes new parts aren't just as good- and what if new aren't actually new?

I've had my ups and downs with the junk yard stuff, but eventually you kindda learn your way around it, and then you can consider your past bad experiences as learning, and be cool about it. It does worth to learn something.

The bottom line is: the shopekeeper is only as clever as we let him be.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The KYB Excel-G are better than stock Prosmatec shocks when the car was new they are even better than my new shape 2013 Civic.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Finally as planned, I replaced the shocks today. Actually I travelled from Quetta to faisalabad 3 days back and again will be going to Quetta by next month. On my ways I hit a bad patch near bhakkar at night where after a pulley there was no road and I was at 100+. So the car went in air and had 2 jumps before getting steady. All shocks got shot.
    KYB Japanese were not available, so I bought TOKICO Japan
    Price all 4 shocks Rs 14600.
    A few additional tasks and spent abt 20k in total.
    I m in love with this car, although it's an EXI but on my way from Quetta, it gave the average of 16.5 km per liter.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Finally as planned, I replaced the shocks today. Actually I travelled from Quetta to faisalabad 3 days back and again will be going to Quetta by next month. On my ways I hit a bad patch near bhakkar at night where after a pulley there was no road and I was at 100+. So the car went in air and had 2 jumps before getting steady. All shocks got shot.
    I m in love with this car, although it's an EXI but on my way from Quetta, it gave the average of 16.5 km per liter.
    Congratulation Bro.

What about the springs ? r they good or changed too ?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Springs were fine. Otherwise I have 2 spare sets of original springs with me. All looks good

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It is a nice decision. Now, you don't have to actually worry about shocks in your life and worry about something else, if Allah permits

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List