Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Caltex Havoline Fully Synthetic 5w-40..Wise choice for my Civic 8th gen?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Caltex Havoline Fully Synthetic 5w-40..Wise choice for my Civic 8th gen?

OK guys so Currently im using Caltex havoline Formula 10w30 in My Civic( reborn) and thinking of Getting the Caltex Synthetic Oil..Is this a wise choice or shuld I just stick to The havoline formula..???

My car is 74k driven till now and is in perfect nick Both engine and Body wise..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My experience with Caltex Havoline fully synthetic was not good. I have same car 90k driven Manual Transmission.

I was using Formula 10w-30 in my civic and switched to 5w-40 fully synthetic caltex. Oil level dropped like anything in first 3k kilometers.

At first I thought that there is some problem with my engine but then I again poured 5w-30 Genuine Honda oil fully synthetic instead of Caltex 5w-40. Car is running totally fine with no oil level dropping problems at all. Been using Genuine Honda oil 52-30 for last 4 oil changes and absolutely no problems.
    Pick and power of car remained same however I noticed better fuel economy. I'd suggest to use engine flush while switching from mineral to synthetic oil and give Genuine Honda Fully synthetic oil or Shell helix ultra fully synthetic a try. Been hearing good reviews about it shell.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sk_KingpiN View Post
    My experience with Caltex Havoline fully synthetic was not good. I have same car 90k driven Manual Transmission.

I was using Formula 10w-30 in my civic and switched to 5w-40 fully synthetic caltex. Oil level dropped like anything in first 3k kilometers.

At first I thought that there is some problem with my engine but then I again poured 5w-30 Genuine Honda oil fully synthetic instead of Caltex 5w-40. Car is running totally fine with no oil level dropping problems at all. Been using Genuine Honda oil 52-30 for last 4 oil changes and absolutely no problems.
    Pick and power of car remained same however I noticed better fuel economy. I'd suggest to use engine flush while switching from mineral to synthetic oil and give Genuine Honda Fully synthetic oil or Shell helix ultra fully synthetic a try. Been hearing good reviews about it shell.
    Thanks for ur Valuable input bro..Well ive never used shell oils in any of my Rides so therefore im Skeptical in Using it..And as far as i know Honda Oil is just Total quartz 9000 repacked by Honda so dont Trust that oil as many ppl on pakwheels say Its not a Good oil...I think il Just stick wid my Caltex Havoline Formula 10w30 but since i heard alot of ppl saying that 5w40 is suitable for Pakistani Climate i thought i would give it a try But certainly not After u told me ur Car oil level Droppped!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ziyad.ahmad.391 View Post
    Thanks for ur Valuable input bro..Well ive never used shell oils in any of my Rides so therefore im Skeptical in Using it..And as far as i know Honda Oil is just Total quartz 9000 repacked by Honda so dont Trust that oil as many ppl on pakwheels say Its not a Good oil...I think il Just stick wid my Caltex Havoline Formula 10w30 but since i heard alot of ppl saying that 5w40 is suitable for Pakistani Climate i thought i would give it a try But certainly not After u told me ur Car oil level Droppped!
    No problem.
    Same here bro as I also never ever used shell oils in any of my car. Well my experience with Honda oil is going good so far and Total quartz 9000 is a good oil. My daily drive is more than 100kms and I never ever faced any issue Alhamdolillah.

I'd suggest you to switch from Havoline Formula to some better synthetic oil other than caltex and keep an eye on oil level. Better is to flush your engine then use synthetic oil as your car is running on mineral oil. You will notice better acceleration and fuel economy. My car with Havoline formula used to give 10-11 km/l with light foot in city driving and now it gave me exact 12.88 km/l with normal foot and 15km/l on long.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

No problem.
    Same here bro as I also never ever used shell oils in any of my car. Well my experience with Honda oil is going good so far and Total quartz 9000 is a good oil. My daily drive is more than 100kms and I never ever faced any issue Alhamdolillah.

I'd suggest you to switch from Havoline Formula to some better synthetic oil other than caltex and keep an eye on oil level. Better is to flush your engine then use synthetic oil as your car is running on mineral oil. You will notice better acceleration and fuel economy. My car with Havoline formula used to give 10-11 km/l with light foot in city driving and now it gave me exact 12.88 km/l with normal foot and 15km/l on long.
    Wow I must say that is certainly an improvement in fuel economy!!..what are ur views about zic a+ or Zic Xq? Xq is I bepieve the fully synthetic one!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Wow I must say that is certainly an improvement in fuel economy!!..what are ur views about zic a+ or Zic Xq? Xq is I bepieve the fully synthetic one!
    Zic's oils are good. I have no experience with these oils. However there are a lot of fake zic oils in market nowadays and it's really hard to find a genuine zic product.
    Liqui Moly oils are good though.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Zic's oils are good. I have no experience with these oils. However there are a lot of fake zic oils in market nowadays and it's really hard to find a genuine zic product.
    Liqui Moly oils are good though.
    LM's are very gud but hell expensive..I think in pakistan we should change oil at 5k interval not more than that because of the dusty environment so no use I think spending on LM's oil.
    I think 10w30 will be fine for me as recomended by everybody before

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

LM's are very gud but hell expensive..I think in pakistan we should change oil at 5k interval not more than that because of the dusty environment so no use I think spending on LM's oil.
    yes they are and I agree that drain interval should be max 5k. yes 10w-30 is good enough for normal use.
    Happy driving.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Total Quartz 9000 5/30 "SN grade" 4L price is Rs. 2800/- SCI is 6K
    Honda's 5/30 fully synthetic SM grade 3.7L price is Rs. 2200/- SCI is 3-4K
    Hence it looks difficult that Honda is filling expensive oil and selling at low price to their customers.
    (SCI= Suggested Change Interval)
    No Guts, No Glory.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ofcoarse LM's engine oils seems very expensive. But for the long run, they are very fuel saving, have long change intervals, good thermal stabilities at high temperatures, keep engine clean like mirror, etc. etc.
    And after knowing/adding all these benefits against cost, the expensive engine oils doesn't seem really expensive, IMHO.
    No Guts, No Glory.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

No problem.

my reborns average is going on 11km per litre and i dont drive with light foot ad using havoline formula in it
    M @ c!v!c '95 L0v3&

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ashbal View Post
    my reborns average is going on 11km per litre and i dont drive with light foot ad using havoline formula in it
    Name:  1390345833211.jpg
Views: 3974
Size:  93.4 KB
    Kya khayal hay bhai? see the trip meter and fuel guage. You will have better idea.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using PW Forums mobile app

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Switched from havoline formula 10w30 to KIXX G1 10w40 fully synthetic. Felt a little improvement in performance and economy. No drop in oil level. Changing at 5k. The viscosity stays the same but oil tends to get more dirty as compared to havoline but i guess that is due to the cleaning effect of synthetic oil as it absorbs sludge and dirt to keep the engine clean. Used KIXX for 3 intervals and till now i,m satisfied.
    None of the brave deserve fair....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saadkhangul View Post
    Switched from havoline formula 10w30 to KIXX G1 10w40 fully synthetic. Felt a little improvement in performance and economy. No drop in oil level. Changing at 5k. The viscosity stays the same but oil tends to get more dirty as compared to havoline but i guess that is due to the cleaning effect of synthetic oil as it absorbs sludge and dirt to keep the engine clean. Used KIXX for 3 intervals and till now i,m satisfied.
    Yes correct. Modern Synthetic oils (specially SN Grade, GF-5) do the engine cleaning by themselves very well.
    But changing interval of Kixx G1 10/40 as 5K looks ok for the first time. But next time if using the same oil and there is no oil decrease, then 6~7K change interval would be OK subject to engine's condition & model.
    No Guts, No Glory.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

a couple of my friends had bad experience with caltex fully synthetic 5w40 golden pack.....the oil level get low after 2-3k km
    My lugnuts require more torque than your Vtec can put out...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I switched to shell helix hx7 for my vitz. Pleasantly surprised as i switched from caltex havoline 20w-50. The engine sound has decreased and drive is smooth specially a noticeable improvement after a cold start.

I will change the oil after 7k.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
    I switched to shell helix hx7 for my vitz. Pleasantly surprised as i switched from caltex havoline 20w-50. The engine sound has decreased and drive is smooth specially a noticeable improvement after a cold start.

I will change the oil after 7k.
    If the VTIZ engine is 1KR-FE, and car is less then 80K driven and engine is in good condition, then try to use 0w-20 oil. Yesterday I read the manual and it clearly says to feed the following oils

1000 CC engine (1KR-FE) 0W-20
    1300 CC engine (1NR-FE) 5W-30

They repeatedly mentioned in the manual that for "BEST FUEL CONSUMPTION" feed 1KR-FE with 0/20 oil. it will give the best mileage.
    Presently Kixx G1 (Tin pack) is 0/20. Price 2800/4L. SCI is 5~6K. Just forget either its summar or winter, if you want to save on fuel consumption, then 0/20 is the best choice.

Moreover I've also discussed with LM's head office Germany. The range of oil viscosity for 1KR-FE engine is from 0/20 to 5/40.
    It means these engines will not work "ideally" if we will feed them 10/30, 10/40, 15/40, 20/50 etc. oils.

I'll post this information as separate thread also so that more people can read it.
    No Guts, No Glory.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

As per my experience of maintenance of heavy duty engines the Caltex's oils are not that good. They lead to sulphated ash deposits. Shell's oils have an edge there. So i ll recommend Shell.

^^^
    This info is not related to shell helix or caltex havoline. it is about similar products: (Caltex HDAX and Shell Mysella both SAE 40 Engine oils)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by GoodMan7 View Post
    If the VTIZ engine is 1KR-FE, and car is less then 80K driven and engine is in good condition, then try to use 0w-20 oil. Yesterday I read the manual and it clearly says to feed the following oils

1000 CC engine (1KR-FE) 0W-20
    1300 CC engine (1NR-FE) 5W-30

They repeatedly mentioned in the manual that for "BEST FUEL CONSUMPTION" feed 1KR-FE with 0/20 oil. it will give the best mileage.
    Presently Kixx G1 (Tin pack) is 0/20. Price 2800/4L. SCI is 5~6K. Just forget either its summar or winter, if you want to save on fuel consumption, then 0/20 is the best choice.

Moreover I've also discussed with LM's head office Germany. The range of oil viscosity for 1KR-FE engine is from 0/20 to 5/40.
    It means these engines will not work "ideally" if we will feed them 10/30, 10/40, 15/40, 20/50 etc. oils.

I'll post this information as separate thread also so that more people can read it.
    Thanks for the info. BTW i read somewhere that 1kr-fe requires 5w-30 as recommended by Toyota. Also my car's engine must be more than 80k driven but i am not sure (meter reversed probably).

I am not sure what would i be using in summers. My current plan is to keep going with hx7 5w-30 as shell do not have hx7 or ultra in any other viscosity so my guess would be that these oils are good for summers too.

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Honda genuine oil 5/30 and caltex Havoline 5/30 are the same. Actually what happens when you switch from a heavy oil to light oil your car engine absorb it for sometime and then it becomes stable. So you may go with Caltex 5/30 next time and hope you may not face any problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

User Tag List