Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By msabbasi

Thread: Honda Civic 1988 Problems

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    ammar.dbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Honda Civic 1988 Problems

    So I got a Honda Civic 1988 EX which I love but I didnt regularly maintain it (mainly due to my laziness). Its got idling problems, cold start is really bad, I have to warm it up by keeping the RPM to about 2500 for 2-3 minutes before going anywhere otherwise the engine just dies out, Ive had this car for around 3 years now and never had any spark plug changes or stuff. Moreoever, it doesnt go beyond 5500 RPM in any gear, and the engine kind of bogs down at that point, and thats quite a problem. What would you suggest I do to solve these problems? and what else can I do to improve its performance? Any mod suggestions? Thanks!


  2. #2
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    argtr65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,645
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Get the engine simply tuned up.
    Never loose hope in life,every step gives u something.

  3. #3
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    mansoor_qadir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Attock
    Posts
    1,476
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ammar.dbs View Post
    So I got a Honda Civic 1988 EX which I love but I didnt regularly maintain it (mainly due to my laziness). Its got idling problems, cold start is really bad, I have to warm it up by keeping the RPM to about 2500 for 2-3 minutes before going anywhere otherwise the engine just dies out, Ive had this car for around 3 years now and never had any spark plug changes or stuff. Moreoever, it doesnt go beyond 5500 RPM in any gear, and the engine kind of bogs down at that point, and thats quite a problem. What would you suggest I do to solve these problems? and what else can I do to improve its performance? Any mod suggestions? Thanks!
    Do some basic maintenance...no plug change in 3 yrs
    <..If everything seems under control, U r not going fast enough..>

  4. #4
    PakWheeler Follow
    ammar.dbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mansoor_qadir View Post
    Do some basic maintenance...no plug change in 3 yrs
    Haha, sure will do. Which spark plugs would you recommend?

  5. #5
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    mansoor_qadir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Attock
    Posts
    1,476
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ammar.dbs View Post
    Haha, sure will do. Which spark plugs would you recommend?
    Bro, buy original ngk or denso...both r good 4 normal operation...
    <..If everything seems under control, U r not going fast enough..>

  6. #6
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    msabbasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,483
    Follows
    4
    Following
    3
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    If it has a catalytic converter, is it choked?

  7. #7
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    bradpit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,064
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msabbasi View Post
    If it has a catalytic converter, is it choked?
    Bhai 1988 mein tu America mein bhi stock catalytic converter nahi aata tha Civic mein.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

  8. #8
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    msabbasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,483
    Follows
    4
    Following
    3
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bradpit View Post
    Bhai 1988 mein tu America mein bhi stock catalytic converter nahi aata tha Civic mein.
    That is why I said (IF) and under lined it. Was not sure if it was a JDM car. Anyhow wish the owner good luck with fixing his problem. Maybe he should have given his ride a little more care so he would not be in this situation.

    FYI catalytic converters have been around since 1975!!

  9. #9
    PakWheeler Follow
    ammar.dbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mansoor_qadir View Post
    Bro, buy original ngk or denso...both r good 4 normal operation...
    I'll do it ASAP. Thanks

  10. #10
    PakWheeler Follow
    ammar.dbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msabbasi View Post
    If it has a catalytic converter, is it choked?
    I really don't think it has a catalytic converter installed, not certain though.

  11. #11
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    mansoor_qadir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Attock
    Posts
    1,476
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ammar.dbs View Post
    I really don't think it has a catalytic converter installed, not certain though.
    definitely its without cat converter.
    <..If everything seems under control, U r not going fast enough..>

  12. #12
    PakWheeler Follow
    ammar.dbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Yes it doesn't have a Catalytic converter

  13. #13
    PakWheeler Follow
    IHateRollas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    475
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Change the plugs, air filter, engine oil, oil filter, check the tappets, tune the engine

  14. #14
    PakWheeler Follow
    ammar.dbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IHateRollas View Post
    Change the plugs, air filter, engine oil, oil filter, check the tappets, tune the engine
    Will get it done. Thanks for the response.

  15. #15
    PakWheeler Follow
    saif.naushad.5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    25
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    hello I have a 96 Civic and and I have faced all these problems which you mentioned and Alhamdullilah have solved them with a little research, guidance of a few friends and ofc the Pakwheels community, Btw which engine are you running? cuz there are different factors for different engines, anyway hope I helped this is what you can do.

    For your idling problem get your TP(Throttle Positioning) sensor checked and adjusted using a volt meter, also get your IACV(Idle Air Control valve) checked It may be clogged by dust or maybe damaged.

    Secondly your car is not going above 5500 rpm anyway you try, and also you haven't changed the engine oil in a long time probably indicates a damaged crankshaft, please check and tell me if you have ever noticed your engine is producing a kr kr kr noise somewhere,
    Never Go Full Retard!

  16. #16
    PakWheeler Follow
    ammar.dbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saif.naushad.5 View Post
    hello I have a 96 Civic and and I have faced all these problems which you mentioned and Alhamdullilah have solved them with a little research, guidance of a few friends and ofc the Pakwheels community, Btw which engine are you running? cuz there are different factors for different engines, anyway hope I helped this is what you can do.

    For your idling problem get your TP(Throttle Positioning) sensor checked and adjusted using a volt meter, also get your IACV(Idle Air Control valve) checked It may be clogged by dust or maybe damaged.

    Secondly your car is not going above 5500 rpm anyway you try, and also you haven't changed the engine oil in a long time probably indicates a damaged crankshaft, please check and tell me if you have ever noticed your engine is producing a kr kr kr noise somewhere,
    Glad to hear you got your problems fixed, well, its a D15B carburetor'd engine, I did get the engine oil changed when needed, and theres no "kr kr kr" sound, the engine sounds pretty good actually, so I dont think the crankshaft is damaged. Will get it and the other things checked though. Any other performance tweaks or mods that you may recommend?

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •