Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Honda Civic 1997 VTi Engine Job ( over heating reducing oil) suggestions

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Honda Civic 1997 VTi Engine Job ( over heating reducing oil) suggestions

I have a civic vti which is suffering from over heating. The needle goes up to the redline and stays there if i drive normally but when I decelerate or go down hill the needle come back down( eg when going down hill in the salt range the needle comes back to normal. The engine never had a head job or gasket change. I changed the radiator to double nali desi one some 5 years ago.
    I am getting oil in the radiator as well, burning a plug of one cylinder and oil reduction but the car is still half self start.

I am going to get some things done this weekend from a mechanic in Faisalabad EId Gah road as he always had figured out problems of my Honda but in a desi way. Had a bad experience with Honda pit stop the couldn't even fit a side view mirror properly . Would have got it done from Lahore but the car cant travel that far now L

1. Head gasket replacement
    2. A ring and valve seals job depending upon the damage done to the engine
    3. Water body replacement
    4. New timing belt
    5. New radiator
    6. New silencer as the old one may have clogged with oil.

Any suggestions and information about any other good mechanics will be appreciated.

DAY 1 : The weather was quite ideal for spending a day at the work shop. The engine was opened up and was taken out for complete over haul.
    After inspecting the cylinders the mechanic said that a simple gasket change will not do the job the block needs work to be done and needs to be taken out or the other option is get it swapped he gave me both options. I gambled with the overhaul.30- 40 k might go down the drain but I am mentally prepared for that. The block was taken to the kharadia. Came back at 3 the mechanic said he will inspect the engine in detail and tell me about the parts to be replaced by tomorrow.

DAY 2.. Went to buy the parts
    bought will be assembled today by kharadia and again by mechanic tomorrow
    1.Pistons
    2.Rings
    3.Valve set
    4. Clutch Plate
    5.Misc. Bearings
    6.Timing belt
    7.HeadGaskit
    Costed me 22 k.

Total expenditure till now 22k+4000 khardia+3 for kabli piping and junkyard items=29

DAY: 3 The engine block is ready and in the Engine bay.The head will be places tomorrow. Got a new water Pump today worth 2400 that makes the total expenditure till now 29000+2400=31400

DAY: 4 The overhaul was eventually completed today. Got the double Nali DEnSO/HONDA Radiator. A set of belts. Total Spent on the radiator 5000 and belts 600 and some nuts and bolts 200=5800 ,Oil and fluids,coolants 3200, miscellaneous 2000
    The total Spent on Parts 31400+5800+3200=2000=42400+8000 Mechanic Labor=50400 Rs for the engine over haul

DAY: 5 Today I got the some sounds resolved that were coming from the driver side wheel.
    Got new
    Disc Pads whole set , Goda Boot,steering boot,Chimta bush, Discs Facing,end repair, Ball joint repair,front brake cylinder kabli,break oil
    This wheel job costed Rs 6540.

Got a new silencer worth 2200, Wheel alignment Rs 150
    Total spent today 6540+2200=150= 8790
    Total Spent during 5 days =50400+8790=RS 59190
    1.Pistons
    2.Rings
    3.Valve set
    4. Clutch Plate
    5.Misc. Bearings
    6.Timing belt
    7.HeadGaskit
    8.water Pump
    9. Ball joint
    10. 3 pump belts belts
    11. Radiator
    12. Pipping
    13.O rings
    14. Break Pads
    15. Silencer
    OVERHAUL COMPLETED Thanks GOD Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job  ( over heating reducing oil) suggestions - smiley smile I pray that it stays this way . It's the first 5 minutes of running time that can wipe out a new cam. The other 15 minutes is just insurance. Lets see what it does in the future Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1403440
    Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1403868
    Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1408168
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Past cant be brought back ..but future can be made even better than the Past..if one wants to.. ....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

will get it done this weekend fingers crossed
    Past cant be brought back ..but future can be made even better than the Past..if one wants to.. ....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by whiteangel View Post
    I agree, never use wipers on highway bugs

By the way have you done a compression test on the rebuilt engine?
    will get it done this weekend,,, it feels like a new car right now no leaks at all had had a chance to drive on the motorway today the temperature gauge was little bit towards the cool mark with light usage of AC all the way. I varied the speed between 60 and 80 km/h now it has 450 kms on the trip meter. Approximately it gave an average of 11 km/L. Before the rebuild it was giving 6 with AC and 9 without AC in that bad condition. I presume the average will improve as the engine breaks in around 13-14 will be good

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Are you running your engine without the thermostat valve?
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    Are you running your engine without the thermostat valve?
    with it and auto fan

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1403861

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i was about to say same thing as whiteangel

get compression check
    if compression is near 150........ gari baich do

if u r super lucky, and compression is around 170-180
    keep the car
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i have heard that the lower limit is 135 and the upper is 190 in this engine . lets see what it comes out to be

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I don't think you should be very concerned if the compression is not within spec. It's a new engine it needs some time to break-in. With only 450km, it might be too early to come to any conclusions.

I found this video by Eric the car guy, about breaking in a rebuilt engine. Coincidentally, it is for a 1999 Civic engine and it has some good tips about how to break in a new engine. It's worth taking a look.

How to Break In A New or Rebuilt Engine - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube
    Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by whiteangel View Post
    I don't think you should be very concerned if the compression is not within spec. It's a new engine it needs some time to break-in. With only 450km, it might be too early to come to any conclusions.

I found this video by Eric the car guy, about breaking in a rebuilt engine. Coincidentally, it is for a 1999 Civic engine and it has some good tips about how to break in a new engine. It's worth taking a look.

How to Break In A New or Rebuilt Engine - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube
    thanks mate

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@janleva
    Please tell me is seat belt indicator and beep is present in your car or not.?????

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

no seat belt indicator. if you wan to stop the beep just stuck a coin/ match stick in there

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The temprature guage needle wasnt coming to the middle changed thermistat even then it was always in the middle between cool and mid point. The mechanic switched of the fan only then the needle went above the half mark .that insures that the guage is working fine this thung was buging me .also bought caltex coolant today previously the mechanic used osaka . Well no coolant is reducing so i thought of geting some long life coolant.

Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1404696
    Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0200 using PW Forums mobile app

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1404715the coolant and some other things got the caltex coolant for Rs 900 per bottle bought 2 as i thought 4.5 diluted would be enough but i forgot that about a gallon sits in the engine as well

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by janleva View Post
    also bought caltex coolant today previously the mechanic used osaka
    Osaka coolant is crap I bought two cans several years ago. When I opened the cans, I found it rusted from the bottom. Threw away both cans. If it can't protect the can how is it supposed to protect your cooling system.

Caltex, Honda OEM, Toyota OEM, ZIC, Liquimoly are all good.
    Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the car completed its 1000 km after the overhaul. No leaks from the engine , no reduction in coolant and oil. No overheating, Got the oil and filter changed the oil was still yellow no carbon deposits . Its really a treat to see the car perform like that after a very long long time. Lets see what it does after 5000 Kms.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Did you get the compression test done? just wondering what the results would be!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

No comp test uptill now but yesterday it had a road test went and came back from sialkot a 540 km round trip yesterday. No overheating, no leaks ,no reduction in coolant at all.no oil consumption. Didnt need to switch of the AC for Zig zag overtaking no noises the drive was smooth and engine was responsive. The car has done 1650 kms after the overhaul now

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0200 using PW Forums mobile app

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    24 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Now that you have done so much work to your satisfaction. Also check air filter box that it seals properly and always use a high quality filter in it.
    Keep a cool head and wear seatbelts!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by spectra View Post
    Now that you have done so much work to your satisfaction. Also check air filter box that it seals properly and always use a high quality filter in it.
    changed it with the PVC valve when i got the oil changed

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

this morning i heard weird sounds coming from the engine bay to my surprise there was a reptile in the engine bay took quite an effort to get it out. I was expecting the engine will not start as these things love to chew on plastics and cables but it did. When i got on the road and drove above 2000 rpm or 80km/h the check engine light came on . It went away after i switched the car of again and then turned it on. This thing bugged so much. Checked all the visible sensors but they were okay. Thought of getting a computer scan as i couldn't see any obvious damaged wires or sensors. Was a bit confused but took it to the mechanic who over hauled it. First of all he reved the engine to see the chek engine light then disconnected the battery terminal and reconnected it that didnt work then he checked all the senors at the top and then he began to look deeper around the block and found a grip attached with a broken sensor top.He said that you have a broken knocking sensor. Then after quite of a hassle he took out the sensor and asked me for replacement or repaired he told me that he can repair it. He fixed it and re installed it after fixing it . it worked no more check engine light .Today i came to know about another thing of a car the "knocking sensor" thanks to the Saara hardwickii (sanda).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

User Tag List