Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Honda Civic 1997 VTi Engine Job ( over heating reducing oil) suggestions

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Honda Civic 1997 VTi Engine Job ( over heating reducing oil) suggestions

I have a civic vti which is suffering from over heating. The needle goes up to the redline and stays there if i drive normally but when I decelerate or go down hill the needle come back down( eg when going down hill in the salt range the needle comes back to normal. The engine never had a head job or gasket change. I changed the radiator to double nali desi one some 5 years ago.
    I am getting oil in the radiator as well, burning a plug of one cylinder and oil reduction but the car is still half self start.

I am going to get some things done this weekend from a mechanic in Faisalabad EId Gah road as he always had figured out problems of my Honda but in a desi way. Had a bad experience with Honda pit stop the couldn't even fit a side view mirror properly . Would have got it done from Lahore but the car cant travel that far now L

1. Head gasket replacement
    2. A ring and valve seals job depending upon the damage done to the engine
    3. Water body replacement
    4. New timing belt
    5. New radiator
    6. New silencer as the old one may have clogged with oil.

Any suggestions and information about any other good mechanics will be appreciated.

DAY 1 : The weather was quite ideal for spending a day at the work shop. The engine was opened up and was taken out for complete over haul.
    After inspecting the cylinders the mechanic said that a simple gasket change will not do the job the block needs work to be done and needs to be taken out or the other option is get it swapped he gave me both options. I gambled with the overhaul.30- 40 k might go down the drain but I am mentally prepared for that. The block was taken to the kharadia. Came back at 3 the mechanic said he will inspect the engine in detail and tell me about the parts to be replaced by tomorrow.

DAY 2.. Went to buy the parts
    bought will be assembled today by kharadia and again by mechanic tomorrow
    1.Pistons
    2.Rings
    3.Valve set
    4. Clutch Plate
    5.Misc. Bearings
    6.Timing belt
    7.HeadGaskit
    Costed me 22 k.

Total expenditure till now 22k+4000 khardia+3 for kabli piping and junkyard items=29

DAY: 3 The engine block is ready and in the Engine bay.The head will be places tomorrow. Got a new water Pump today worth 2400 that makes the total expenditure till now 29000+2400=31400

DAY: 4 The overhaul was eventually completed today. Got the double Nali DEnSO/HONDA Radiator. A set of belts. Total Spent on the radiator 5000 and belts 600 and some nuts and bolts 200=5800 ,Oil and fluids,coolants 3200, miscellaneous 2000
    The total Spent on Parts 31400+5800+3200=2000=42400+8000 Mechanic Labor=50400 Rs for the engine over haul

DAY: 5 Today I got the some sounds resolved that were coming from the driver side wheel.
    Got new
    Disc Pads whole set , Goda Boot,steering boot,Chimta bush, Discs Facing,end repair, Ball joint repair,front brake cylinder kabli,break oil
    This wheel job costed Rs 6540.

Got a new silencer worth 2200, Wheel alignment Rs 150
    Total spent today 6540+2200=150= 8790
    Total Spent during 5 days =50400+8790=RS 59190
    1.Pistons
    2.Rings
    3.Valve set
    4. Clutch Plate
    5.Misc. Bearings
    6.Timing belt
    7.HeadGaskit
    8.water Pump
    9. Ball joint
    10. 3 pump belts belts
    11. Radiator
    12. Pipping
    13.O rings
    14. Break Pads
    15. Silencer
    OVERHAUL COMPLETED Thanks GOD Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job  ( over heating reducing oil) suggestions - smiley smile I pray that it stays this way . It's the first 5 minutes of running time that can wipe out a new cam. The other 15 minutes is just insurance. Lets see what it does in the future Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1403440
    Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1403868
    Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1408168
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Past cant be brought back ..but future can be made even better than the Past..if one wants to.. ....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by shuja11 View Post
    Sorry yar but i had to say this.

DONT TRUST HONDA PIT STOP GO TO A GOOD RUNNING DEALERSHIP.

pitstops are small local workshops converted to pit stops by honda atlas cars, i think.

there is one in abpara market lahore n a friend's father got his car maintainted from it. it was a 2005 or 6 vti.

i had a 2002 vti maintained entirely from honda fort queens road.

both cars had substantial difference when the ran together in 2008. his car suked n mine was smooth.

its about the mechanic n he knows **** or knows only ****.
    @Xulfiqar I heard from a person who knows cars a lot about cars that when overhalling an engine, block head should not be shaved or cleaned on a machine since it reduces height of the head and pistons go more towards the pistons than they should.
    is it wise to clean the head only with cleaning agents n not a machine?
    he says by reducing the height of head or block the engine sound changes n it overheats.
    what is ur take on this?
    You heard correct, shaving the head will cause the compression ratio to increase which leads to high temperature burn, In OHC engines the problem of mistimed camshaft also occurs due to excessive shaving/facing - meaning the total height of the engine reduces which then causes the belt/chain to sit a bit slack - when tightened by the tensioner the timing moves because the reduction in overall height is quite low compared to the tooth gap of the belt or link gap of the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by faisalayub View Post
    I dont know what has happened to the so called KHARADIA now a days.. I think that most of the workshops and kharadias are in contract that if you received any engine block or head you must of reface (shave it)... instead without checking and knowing that is there any need for refacing or not, and if needs refacing they shave it too much that any one them got bye bye, which only needs just only proper and minor sanding...

we are in this business (means lathe business) from more than 3 decades, but never ever do a reface of either head or engine block in first attempt. some of mechanics came to our workshop and they immediately say that head or blocks needs refacing, but we said to them first we check it if it needs refacing we will do other wise no need of it... and after refacing we also try to put small size connecting rods so pistons cannot sit above the engine block or direct hit to head... and ALHAMDULILLAH we never ever received any complaint from owners... Even we give them guarantee also for the work done...

In my seven years of stay in Pakistan for studies, I have seen many lathe workshop labor guys opened their own lathe workshop after left the workshop where they worked, and do a very pathetic job in very less amount. which results in creation of bad name and image of those lathe workshops which are experts and working since decades..

I think the problem is two fold.

1 - mechanics are not qualified now - as you are in this business you also know that if you start to take out head bolts without proper sequence you will crack or warp the head if you dont loosen them in the right pattern and in the right steps (at least 3 steps in TTY bolts)

2 - the machinists are there to loot money - they will shave any and everything to make money. The mechanic not being qualified cannot help and the machinist is in agreement with them to get business which also involves mandatory machining to run up the bill.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    I think the problem is two fold.

1 - mechanics are not qualified now - as you are in this business you also know that if you start to take out head bolts without proper sequence you will crack or warp the head if you dont loosen them in the right pattern and in the right steps (at least 3 steps in TTY bolts)

2 - the machinists are there to loot money - they will shave any and everything to make money. The mechanic not being qualified cannot help and the machinist is in agreement with them to get business which also involves mandatory machining to run up the bill.
    Agreed with you, the problem is at both ends, Head bolts required proper sequence while tightening and loosing... Thats why I already mentioned above that some of the so called "KARIGAR" labor who worked at lathe shops, worked for 3 4 years and say that am expert, now opened their own lathe shops and doing jobs in such a way that you cannot believe it... even some mechanics not bother to wash the engine block or head properly and thoroughly before fitting and if there comes any problem in engine they skip by just saying that KHARADIA NE ENGINE SAHI NAHI BNAYA" just to rip off money and creating bad image of lathe shops..

Even some lathe shop owners rip off too much money from the owner by showing that we have a quality work and they works like dumb. ALHAMDULILLAH we also repaired cracked block and jointed crank (known as jaur wali crank) upon customer request and never ever got any complaint.

Its not only the case of mechanic with machinists, same is the case of dealings between spare parts shop and mechanic...
    Toyota Cressida 1982 GL ... Mazda Cx-9 2009... Toyota Corolla 2007 XLI EXECUTIVE (SOLD)...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Is she alive ? Did she survive the bypass conducted by hathorra surgeon ?
    None of the brave deserve fair....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i once asked the ******** and a shitzuki dealership that can i just get my head fixed without messing with the block (at that time i used to think only my engine head was bad) and the manager said that overhauling the head without doing the block will not work

now i know why it won't, the shaved head would reduce clearance between the piston top and the valves. if what i understand is correct, then these guys are complete retards
    haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by faisalayub View Post
    Agreed with you, the problem is at both ends, Head bolts required proper sequence while tightening and loosing... Thats why I already mentioned above that some of the so called "KARIGAR" labor who worked at lathe shops, worked for 3 4 years and say that am expert, now opened their own lathe shops and doing jobs in such a way that you cannot believe it... even some mechanics not bother to wash the engine block or head properly and thoroughly before fitting and if there comes any problem in engine they skip by just saying that KHARADIA NE ENGINE SAHI NAHI BNAYA" just to rip off money and creating bad image of lathe shops..

Even some lathe shop owners rip off too much money from the owner by showing that we have a quality work and they works like dumb. ALHAMDULILLAH we also repaired cracked block and jointed crank (known as jaur wali crank) upon customer request and never ever got any complaint.

Its not only the case of mechanic with machinists, same is the case of dealings between spare parts shop and mechanic...

so they are completely cool with assembling the engine with metal swarf in it? The other oddity I see is that mechanics in Pakistan would wash the engine with petrol after it came from machining. - What good would that do??? you need a surfactant to remove the swarf

surfactant = soap
    soap = detergent.

and lots of hot water and some brushes

clean till you can wipe a clean white cotton cloth and nothing sticks to it. Thats how I do it.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Drove back home with my baby :-) full torque and power :-) even at lower rpms :-) no leaks or bad errors and the engine is just like new no vibrations or funny sounds ..

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0200 using PW Forums mobile app
    Past cant be brought back ..but future can be made even better than the Past..if one wants to.. ....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I cheked the surface of piston and cylinder head the piston could easily be felt below the cylinder head that was a good sign :-)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Though the mechanic said dont go out of city its fine for city driving till it breaks in

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Next weekend will be the suspenion and breaks and a new silencer (the current one might be clogged)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Today i bought a kabli radiators of honda worth 5000 after giving old radiator its of Denso and came with its own fan

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Good. But where are the pictures ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Will be posting them was a bit exhausted spent all day at the workshop after bunking office also made a video of the engine firing up :-)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

They didnt use any hathora another same model civic vti was also awaiting a engine job the owner of it brought a rusted vtec engine new engine :-) the condition of the engine was scary . Hopefully they will do the same with that engine after they open it up and change parts bla bla

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

post a soon as possible.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

things what i purchased today 3 set of belts, A Honda Denso double NALI radiator some nut bolts= 600+5000+200=5800
    here they are Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1402830

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

honda civic 1997 vti  engine job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1402831

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

honda civic 1997 vti  engine job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1402832

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by janleva View Post
    They didnt use any hathora another same model civic vti was also awaiting a engine job the owner of it brought a rusted vtec engine new engine :-) the condition of the engine was scary . Hopefully they will do the same with that engine after they open it up and change parts bla bla

the only way you can repair such a rusted engine is to replace the block. The block face is literally open as the cylinder liners are put in place and the block is cast around it. Once the material erodes from the face surface due to lack of coolant changes or using plain water as coolant you are required to change the block.

filling up with welding does not work as it creates stress points in the metal - aluminium is a pretty nuisance metal and it having stresses usually causes pain - the engine working at 90-100C (operating temp) will give the welded stuff a real hard time. (remember that if plain water etc can corrode casting it can also corrode your weld far more easily)

if you resleeved the block then it must have been a "epoxy bonded sleeve" as only the largest machining facilities in Pakistan had an engine oven. - even then when the sleeves are pushed out or pushed into such engines the block cracks.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    so they are completely cool with assembling the engine with metal swarf in it? The other oddity I see is that mechanics in Pakistan would wash the engine with petrol after it came from machining. - What good would that do??? you need a surfactant to remove the swarf

surfactant = soap
    soap = detergent.

and lots of hot water and some brushes

clean till you can wipe a clean white cotton cloth and nothing sticks to it. Thats how I do it.
    Before doing any work we wash the engine block and head throughly with high pressure water and surf and for heavy junk also use ketosene. And after completing the job we also recommend same thing to mechanic that must wash throughly with high pressure water and surf...

Sent from my MediaPad 7 Youth using PW Forums mobile app
    Toyota Cressida 1982 GL ... Mazda Cx-9 2009... Toyota Corolla 2007 XLI EXECUTIVE (SOLD)...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I think u should run the engine on idle for it to get smoother.

i think u should start it up at home after evening when weather is colder and put a pedestal fan infront of the engine to keep it from overheating.

i think its called idle running.

which engine oil did u use?
    is the CNG still installed?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

User Tag List