58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default How to change gear oil filter in civic prosmetic

Salaams. Well i had a small discussion on this topic before and was told civic's oil filter of automatic transmission is fixed somewhere inside it and thus cannot be changed. Well own a civic EXi Pros 2003 and have a feeling that the oil filter is clogged of my auto tranny. Reason, sometimes in winters my CHECK ENGINE LIGHT comes on and the car doesnt shift gear till 3200-3400 RPM but when ever the car is restartd aftr travelling 4-5kms (temperature needle in middle) the light goes off and the auto tranny works like a charm. Got the oil changed 3k kms back i think. Aftr the oil change i didnt face the problem for a few days but after that it started again. Well my question for GURU's is that like LIQUI MOLY offers engine flush to clean the engine do they offer something for auto tranny aswell? or can i use the engine flush in auto tranny and change the oil again? or can i change the oil filter somehow without opening my auto tranny to small pieces and than get it fixed again? Well my car is driven by my dad n he has no issues or wat so ever with it. The car runs max 100kms a month or sometimes even remains parked for weeks. Right now i m in karachi and my car is in islamabad and if anyone has a suggestion which can really help me than plz share i can try it on my car whenever i visit home. Thanx

Everything that kills me makes me feel alive

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Filter cannot be changed. Change of ATF in quick successions might do the job.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by omkhan View Post
    Filter cannot be changed. Change of ATF in quick successions might do the job.
    Well this is also in my mind but m waiting for more suggestions coz i should hav sone choices in front of me before trying

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

to replace the transmission filter a full teardown is required - infact at this mileage or symptom a full rebuild is done to eliminate any weak parts - its a Honda automatic transmission and they are not built for long life anyway.

The clutch material wearing off is distributed and trapped in the filter. There are some flush solutions for automatic transmissions but they seldom work as the distributed particulate matter will only get loose and get trapped somewhere else, if that somewhere is the pressure regulator valve body - you will hate your life.

For easy remedy, take off the shift solenoids from the outer casing and remove their little screens to clean them out. It may buy you some time, dont expect miracles though.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    to replace the transmission filter a full teardown is required - infact at this mileage or symptom a full rebuild is done to eliminate any weak parts - its a Honda automatic transmission and they are not built for long life anyway.

The clutch material wearing off is distributed and trapped in the filter. There are some flush solutions for automatic transmissions but they seldom work as the distributed particulate matter will only get loose and get trapped somewhere else, if that somewhere is the pressure regulator valve body - you will hate your life.

For easy remedy, take off the shift solenoids from the outer casing and remove their little screens to clean them out. It may buy you some time, dont expect miracles though.
    Thanx for the reply xulfiqar bhai. The car is 130k driven till now so i dnt xpect that the transmission would hav gone bad till now. Well do u recommend flush?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I recommend to remove and clean the shift solenoids. Then do a full ATF change with Honda DW1 or with a Highly friction modified multivehicle ATF.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    I recommend to remove and clean the shift solenoids. Then do a full ATF change with Honda DW1 or with a Highly friction modified multivehicle ATF.
    Xulfiqar bhai any trusted workshop u might suggest for the said job? I normally get my work done from sultan ka khoo but thats only for changing brake discs and stuff havent tried anything like this before and if possible any estimation of cost? Gear oil will cost around 2.5k for 3 bottles of 1 litre each.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List