Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Scanning my Honda civic exi prosmatec 2006 due to poor fuel economy.

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Scanning my Honda civic exi prosmatec 2006 due to poor fuel economy.

Today I took my car to Magic Motors in Model Town Lahore for carrying out the scanning of engine to find the fault of poor fuel economy and cause of high carbon deposits in exhaust tail pipe. After scanning the senior technician told me that he has noticed three faults. Firstly, the injectors seemed to be malfunctioning and require ultrasonic cleaning which will cost around Rs 2000. Secondly, the sensor in air filter housing is likely malfunctioning and need adjustment or replacement if found faulty. Thirdly, the throttle body sensor seem to be malfunctioning and require adjustment or changing if found faulty. Lastly, fuel filter require cleaning which is located inside the fuel tank. All these jobs shall be done within Rs 2500. So I paid them the scanning charges and got the appointment to get these jobs done by Magic Motors next week.

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Would you please tell me what is the abbreviation stands for AFR and EGA. I think the AFR stands for air fuel ratio and EGA is probably EGR which stands for Exhaust Gas Re-circulation. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks Haroon brother I have started to fill fuel tank from Total as you mentioned. Okay I understand your above stated point of view but I mostly observe same cars like mine which have very little carbon soot or rather these have a red brownish color in exhaust tail pipe. Why it is so. I recently read on internet few reasons of poor fuel economy which are here for your review; Late engine timming, defective coolant temperature sensor for engine computer which causes rich mixture, worn timing belt which may cause rich mixture in fuel injected cars with a MAP sensor, incorrect timing belt installation, timing marks should line up, clogged or defective PCV valve, incorrect valve clearance especially too tight, worn valve guides which makes fuel mixture too lean at low power, vacuum leak from bad vacuum hoses or intake system gaskets which causes lean mixture, dirty fuel injectors, bad fuel pressure regulator, bad MAP sensor for fuel injection, leaking intake duct between air flow sensor and throttle body, missing or defective thermostat, causing low operating temperature, engine misfire caused by bad spark plugs, ignition wire, coil, dist, cap or rotor, dirty air filter or fuel filter, loss of compression pressure due to worn rings or leaking valves, sticking EGR valve, causes rough idling and rich mixture on some engines, exhaust back pressure caused by clogged catalytic converter, muffler or crushed exhaust pipe.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by khjodat View Post
    Would you please tell me what is the abbreviation stands for AFR and EGA. I think the AFR stands for air fuel ratio and EGA is probably EGR which stands for Exhaust Gas Re-circulation. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Both are Correct
    CoMmiNg SoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOn

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

By EGA he probably meant Exhaust Gas Analyzer
    https://www.facebook.com/OsamaAbbasPhotography

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have been facing the same issue with my 2010 A/T 1.3 City, any how, what I did, I went to a guy "Abid" in Center Flats, Model Town Extension, His workshop name is "Abid Computerized Vehicle Tune Up Center". In my case, chaning the air filter and throttle body service solved the problem. I also changed the plugs as well. I am getting now 13~13.5 in city. So there is nothing bad to try him out.

He charges 200 for T/B service and 300 for Tune-up. Contact # 0300-8109402. Scanner and Mixture Analyzer is available with him.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by zanagra View Post
    I have been facing the same issue with my 2010 A/T 1.3 City, any how, what I did, I went to a guy "Abid" in Center Flats, Model Town Extension, His workshop name is "Abid Computerized Vehicle Tune Up Center". In my case, chaning the air filter and throttle body service solved the problem. I also changed the plugs as well. I am getting now 13~13.5 in city. So there is nothing bad to try him out.

He charges 200 for T/B service and 300 for Tune-up. Contact # 0300-8109402. Scanner and Mixture Analyzer is available with him.
    so far the best mechanic for tune ups i have seen in lahore!!highly recommended.
    FOCAL /// PIONEER /// AUDISON /// KICKER /// JVC /// PHOENIX GOLD.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ali454 View Post
    so far the best mechanic for tune ups i have seen in lahore!!highly recommended.
    True Bro, Its hard to find such honest and dedicated workshops these days. Been a customer for almost a decade now, and I have seen people asking to change the filter and Abid refusing that its workable for now and money should not be spent unnecessarily.

Highly recommnded for all PakWheelers.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Haroon_Tarar View Post

brother, it is true. our petrol has carbon deposits a little above average. white silencer is just a dream now.

i had asked you to try fuel from TOTAL pump near LDA office. did you try that?
    petrol has carbon deposits ? lol.....

if you ever try heating a piece of metal on a candle, you notice that when its very close to the flame, it doesn't become black, but when you move it away from the flame, it starts to become black very quickly. When it was close, there was enough momentum in the air surrounding the metal that the unburnt carbon was unable to stick to the metal. But when you moved the metal away, now the hot air doesn't have enough momentum to keep the unbrunt carbon floating with it, so it sticks to the metal.

That's pretty much how exhaust tips become black as well. You can avoid this by maybe reducing the exhaust outlet size, which would increase exhaust pressure to make sure carbon doesn't stick to the tip. In this case the carbon will simply slow with the gas and out into the open air...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i want to scan my 96 civic and get the injectors checked.. getting some unburnt fuel in exhaust... and slightly unsteady idle..

whats the best place in karachi who has injector testing equipment? preferably in the northern region..
    the problem is not our govt... its the people..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bigmaster View Post
    petrol has carbon deposits ? lol.....

if you ever try heating a piece of metal on a candle, you notice that when its very close to the flame, it doesn't become black, but when you move it away from the flame, it starts to become black very quickly. When it was close, there was enough momentum in the air surrounding the metal that the unburnt carbon was unable to stick to the metal. But when you moved the metal away, now the hot air doesn't have enough momentum to keep the unbrunt carbon floating with it, so it sticks to the metal.

That's pretty much how exhaust tips become black as well. You can avoid this by maybe reducing the exhaust outlet size, which would increase exhaust pressure to make sure carbon doesn't stick to the tip. In this case the carbon will simply slow with the gas and out into the open air...
    reduce exhaust pipe size? a very good idea. you mean we alter the company specifications?

mistake accepted. carbon deposits formed due to poor quality of fuel available in our country.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

reduce exhaust pipe size? a very good idea. you mean we alter the company specifications?
    that will reduce performance and maybe economy as well. But shiny exhaust may stay shiny longer...

And I've heard rotary engines are very good with emissions...So I'm guessing rx-8 exhaust tips are always shiny....

Did you ever notice that? (serious question)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

that will reduce performance and maybe economy as well. But shiny exhaust may stay shiny longer...

And I've heard rotary engines are very good with emissions...So I'm guessing rx-8 exhaust tips are always shiny....

Did you ever notice that? (serious question)
    i dont think it is feasible to compromise on economy and performance just to have a shiny exhaust tip. What about the engine? The reduction in exhaust pipe size wont make any impact on your car engine?

the Rx-8's I have always seen are either too fast to let their exhaust tips be seen or swapped with a Toyota engine. Cant comment about it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i dont think it is feasible to compromise on economy and performance just to have a shiny exhaust tip. What about the engine? The reduction in exhaust pipe size wont make any impact on your car engine?

the Rx-8's I have always seen are either too fast to let their exhaust tips be seen or swapped with a Toyota engine. Cant comment about it.
    It will reduce car performance and economy, that's what the manuals say anyways...

A fancier way to keep a shiny exhaust tip is to reroute the exhaust to some hidden location but keep the original silencer in original place to keep it real. The hidden silencer of factory spec could perhaps be hidden under the car somewhere...Now you should have shiny tips without sacrificing fuel economy...

Or just live with a black tipped car....

I'm also going to keep an eye out for RX-8 exhaust tips from now on...especially in workshops...

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes i already got replaced the old air filter with new one but the conditions are same. Can anyone tell me how the auto choke works in honda civic exi 2006. Because whenever i start the engine i feel the un-burn petrol oder which subsides after sometime. I suspect its choke is malfunctioning. Secondly how its ignition timing is adjusted.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

White silencer was due to TEL (leaded petrol) i.e., lead salts. Lead also reduced the life of spark plugs. That is why in older engines people normally used to change spark plugs between 10,000~20,000kms range. Now a days spark plugs remain serviceable even at 40,000kms. Silencer inside is black even in cars running in Germany or USA. Visible black smoke coming out of the exhaust could be due to incomplete combustion and there could be number of reasons for that.
    as hash4u said, do whatever you want to. ur car is not going to go above 10km/ltr.
    secondly, how are you measuring ur car's fuel avg? did u top up the tank, drive da carand then top up again?
    8-9km/ltr is the avg for this model.

i once went to a mechanic about 10-12 yrs ago. i said to him, ustad ji gari ka silencer sufaid kyu nhi hota. mere to long routes bhi bht ziada hain.
    ustad ji said, wo din gye jb lahore se pindi jate huay dina k pas ja k silencer anday ki tarah ho jata tha. hum cousins aik dusre ki cars k aage peeche car rakh k silencer dekha krte thy. ab to petrol itna ganda aata hy k sufaid silencer khwaab hi reh gya hy.

brother, it is true. our petrol has carbon deposits a little above average. white silencer is just a dream now.

i had asked you to try fuel from TOTAL pump near LDA office. did you try that?
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes i already got replaced the old air filter with new one but the conditions are same. Can anyone tell me how the auto choke works in honda civic exi 2006. Because whenever i start the engine i feel the un-burn petrol oder which subsides after sometime. I suspect its choke is malfunctioning. Secondly how its ignition timing is adjusted.
    some petrol odor at start up is fine
    the 'auto choke' system is controlled by the ecu using the idle air control valve on the throttle body

you can check the ignition timing by connecting an obd scanner, it cannot be adjusted because it is varied by the ecu according to the input from various sensors on the engine
    https://www.facebook.com/OsamaAbbasPhotography

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It will reduce car performance and economy, that's what the manuals say anyways...

A fancier way to keep a shiny exhaust tip is to reroute the exhaust to some hidden location but keep the original silencer in original place to keep it real. The hidden silencer of factory spec could perhaps be hidden under the car somewhere...Now you should have shiny tips without sacrificing fuel economy...

Or just live with a black tipped car....

I'm also going to keep an eye out for RX-8 exhaust tips from now on...especially in workshops...

BUT.........

I like black exhaust, (maybe because Im a diesel freak - and my old Golf would be a blackboard at the rear after a month without washing - in more POWAA mode I could roll literal coal and mask out an entire street with black smoke)

All the MB AMG, BMW M, Audi S etc etc sedans/wagons I have seen have industrial sized exhaust that is black.

One remedy as you mention is to make it like old W210 model mercedes - NO exhaust for showing off - its just two pipes that are pointing down and sideways and are sort of just level with the rear bumper edge. - Usually black as sin too.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

what i did is clean it with sandpaper until the metal is smooth, it is easier to clean after that (but who wants to clean it anyways )
    haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List