Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Unhappy Help Needed Civic 8th generation maintenance and Mandatory Inspections

AOA PWs, Recently i bought a 2011 Civic from one of my ____ (ok forget it). When i purchased it the lights for Hand brake and ABS are ON. He told me that the hand brake light may be due to low brake oil whereas the ABS light is due to worn brake pads. I have taken his word as granted and didn't pay any heed (As i m not that much experienced). Recently I have took my ride to Honda Fort Lahore for tune up works and surprisingly the guy told me that the light for Hand Brake and ABS are On simultaneously because of malfunctioned of ABS modulator and this part need to be replaced (He did it after thoroughly checking through the Computer and the wiring) The price for new modulator is 90K. Although I know ABS is not that worth worthy to spend that much of money until or unless I encounter snow fall or slippery road. But still i want to dig out, replacing modulator is the solution? or I have to give second chance to some good mechanic (Although Honda fort has a very good reputation). Some one told me to buy it from Bilal Gang and you get it very cheaper. Expert suggestions are required how to deal with that problem.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Any One

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums

3. 04-07-2014, 12:52 AM

PakWheeler

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bump

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Before buying a used car, always get a complete inspection done from an authorised dealer

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ras719 View Post
    AOA PWs, Recently i bought a 2011 Civic from one of my ____ (ok forget it). When i purchased it the lights for Hand brake and ABS are ON. He told me that the hand brake light may be due to low brake oil whereas the ABS light is due to worn brake pads. I have taken his word as granted and didn't pay any heed (As i m not that much experienced). Recently I have took my ride to Honda Fort Lahore for tune up works and surprisingly the guy told me that the light for Hand Brake and ABS are On simultaneously because of malfunctioned of ABS modulator and this part need to be replaced (He did it after thoroughly checking through the Computer and the wiring) The price for new modulator is 90K. Although I know ABS is not that worth worthy to spend that much of money until or unless I encounter snow fall or slippery road. But still i want to dig out, replacing modulator is the solution? or I have to give second chance to some good mechanic (Although Honda fort has a very good reputation). Some one told me to buy it from Bilal Gang and you get it very cheaper. Expert suggestions are required how to deal with that problem.
    First off, we may forget that, but you wont forget the teeka that person caused you.

Second, Moral for you and everyone else, Buying a car with Check Engine/ABS/EPS/SRS lights on is a recipe for headache.

Third, You dont need ABS on Snow or Slippery Roads only. For that, there is a term called traction control. ABS is there not to reduce braking distance but to allow steer under wheel jam (emergency) inputs from user.

Fourth, whoever told you that you need a new modulator, ask him to tell you the complete list of DTC codes that he saw "THROUGH THE COMPUTER". With that information, only then can the members here advise you what to do.

Fiifth, ABS modulators are not prone to such early failures. In my opinion, there must be some wiring disturbed in the system. Like I said, first you tell the codes, then based on diagnosis, all the subsequent wiring has to be checked for continuity and any possible shorts in circuit.

Example, an open loop in one of the ABS sensors may cause ABS light to turn on (with the code indicating possible sensor failure). There best way to check if the sensor is faulty is to first troubleshoot the wiring. Happened with me 2 months back diagnosing the ABS DTC of a Corolla X.
    The Soul's Journey After Death in Islam (www.bit.ly/SoulsJourney) -- Originally Shared by kse101

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My experience is that the modulator is pretty bullet proof. They fail but it is very rare. If ever the ABS light (or its equivalent) comes on it is from the wheel speed sensor or from the wire connections to/from the afore mentioned sensors. Since we are talking about 90k I could suggest going to any one of the other Honda Dealers in Lahore and getting a second opinion. If it is confirmed a second time that the modulator has failed, the only other place you can get a cheap(er) one is from a scrap yard.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Get a used one from bilal gunj.
    A member here from peshawar had also faced the same issue and he had got a quote of 72k for the sensor from honda north and he got it from scrap market(shoba bazar) in 4k only.
    Try your luck in bilal gunj and get it fixed.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using PW Forums mobile app

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

When i bought my Nissan Pino it had A.B.S light on .
    I went to pindi got it scanned and the error was Wheel Hub sensor or wheel hub disc , he checked and wheel hub disc was missing as it had been replaced with the lower trim of alto , after putting those discs , he started making story that sensor is malfunctioning and etc , ill repair it in 3000 rs etc , I bought car back home and just connected the sensor wire and then after some mins the computer refreshed it self and A.B.S light went away!
    A.B.S sensors or unit are non repairable but they donot malfunction too! Dont believe the honda guys! Just check and take a shot of error from the scanner .... And then post it here !
    Check sensor for dirt and wiring and thats all!

Treat others the way you want to be treated
    Always respect your parents

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you @Tahirwajee @rustam @msabbasi @Sk_KingpiN @huzaifa.haroon
    I get it checked by authorised 3s dealer that is Honda Fort. Secondly after inspecting and diagonising via Computer he bring some thing from his drawer and attached it with the modulator and said ab dekhay lights off ho gai hai I thought the problem was resolved but at the very next moment he told me k aap ka abs modulator kharab hai ye change karna paray ga. Will you guys kindly reccomend me which work shop other than 3s dealers I have to visit in Lahore. I will share the DTC codes as soon as i get them.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you @Tahirwajee @rustam @msabbasi @Sk_KingpiN @huzaifa.haroon
    I get it checked by authorised 3s dealer that is Honda Fort. Secondly after inspecting and diagonising via Computer he bring some thing from his drawer and attached it with the modulator and said ab dekhay lights off ho gai hai I thought the problem was resolved but at the very next moment he told me k aap ka abs modulator kharab hai ye change karna paray ga. Will you guys kindly reccomend me which work shop other than 3s dealers I have to visit in Lahore. I will share the DTC codes as soon as i get them.

You are better off going to the 3S dealership. Just have the diagnosis re-confirmed. The local ustaat will screw up your car beyond repair. Here is a list of all 3S Honda dealerships in Lahore:

Honda City Sales 75 B, Block L, Gulberg III, Ferozepur Road, Lahore (042) 35841100-06 (042) 35841107
    Honda Fort 32 Queens Road, Lahore (042) 36314162-3, 36309062-3, 36313925 (042) 36361076
    Honda Point Main Defence Road, Lahore (042) 35700994-5, 35700997, 0333-4777921 (042) 35700993
    Honda Gateway 15-Km Multan Road, Lahore. (042) 111 333 789 (042) 37511075

It is the same as going to a doctor for a diagnosis. If the disease is serious, one goes for two or even three other opinions.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ok the code is 54-03 Fail Safe Relay 1 Stuck On

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@msabbasi same code (as above) has been retrived from 3 diiferent locations. Almost same procedure was followed by all the electricians removing the connector from the modulator and then check the conectivity by connecting the tester with battery and the other end with the connector pin points , the connectivity is fine as the light bulb glows with each point. Dear experts kindly share your opnion. My google search about that code is the loose connection which i think they have check with above procedure or replacement of modulator.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Poster: I'm not expert though, but you should seek some other suggestion rather than Honda Dealership. Go through this article posted on Pakwheels ( Honda Stealerships: Avoiding the dealerships to get our cars fixed for less | PakWheels Blog )

Some times instead of fixing the thing, dealerships stress on purchasing new one. You may need to do some "khuwari" to find the part(s), but tomorrow is Sunday so utilize the day

Good luck with your fixture.
    "May God keep you away from the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger, and the revenge of the Afghans." ~Alexander the Great.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

u know the code n problem.and that to from dealership.wat r u waiting for?go to bilal ganj ASAP n get a replacement if u cant afford new one

Sent from my GT-I9300 using PW Forums mobile app
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@msabbasi same code (as above) has been retrived from 3 diiferent locations. Almost same procedure was followed by all the electricians removing the connector from the modulator and then check the conectivity by connecting the tester with battery and the other end with the connector pin points , the connectivity is fine as the light bulb glows with each point. Dear experts kindly share your opnion. My google search about that code is the loose connection which i think they have check with above procedure or replacement of modulator.

Quote Originally Posted by hash4u View Post
    u know the code n problem.and that to from dealership.wat r u waiting for?go to bilal ganj ASAP n get a replacement if u cant afford new one

Sent from my GT-I9300 using PW Forums mobile app
    I totally agree with @hash4u. So now we have confirmed that the modulator is shot (very rare). Next step is to locate a working modulator at the lowest possible price. Bilal Gunj is your next stop. Make sure that the one you get is with a return guarantee, though it is hard to get one on electrical items but try anyway. Not sure if the JDM one is compatible with the Pakistani model so make sure it is from a Pakistani local market car. One more thing, you need to ensure that your 3S workshop will have no problems with fixing this for you.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by msabbasi View Post
    I totally agree with @hash4u. So now we have confirmed that the modulator is shot (very rare). Next step is to locate a working modulator at the lowest possible price. Bilal Gunj is your next stop. Make sure that the one you get is with a return guarantee, though it is hard to get one on electrical items but try anyway. Not sure if the JDM one is compatible with the Pakistani model so make sure it is from a Pakistani local market car. One more thing, you need to ensure that your 3S workshop will have no problems with fixing this for you.

Now that you have the code that Indicates a fault in electronics, now its justifiable to move to replacements. You have your answer up there.
    The Soul's Journey After Death in Islam (www.bit.ly/SoulsJourney) -- Originally Shared by kse101

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you @hash4u and @rustum54 Finally modulator was replaced at international motors in gulberg. Total cost incurred 20k including modulator labour and break oil. The modulator is of Nisin. The lights went off but the break paddle is bit spongy i think they will have to bleed the breaks again, the mechanic whom i fortunately know has given me two days gurantee. He has taken money from me and told that he is not going to give money to the person who supplied that modulator untill or unless we are satisfied. He told me if you face any problem come again and we will sort it out by replacing or what ever it is going to take . I tested the abs by the little knowledge i have. It seems ok as the car is not skidding even i apply sudden hard brakes. Dear experinced PWs kindly let me know what else i have to do to test it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you @hash4u and @rustum54 Finally modulator was replaced at international motors in gulberg. Total cost incurred 20k including modulator labour and break oil. The modulator is of Nisin. The lights went off but the break paddle is bit spongy i think they will have to bleed the breaks again, the mechanic whom i fortunately know has given me two days gurantee. He has taken money from me and told that he is not going to give money to the person who supplied that modulator untill or unless we are satisfied. He told me if you face any problem come again and we will sort it out by replacing or what ever it is going to take . I tested the abs by the little knowledge i have. It seems ok as the car is not skidding even i apply sudden hard brakes. Dear experinced PWs kindly let me know what else i have to do to test it.

Good to know that the issue is resolved to some extent. For spongy breaks, be generous and completely bleed the brake oil from master cylinder to modulator to wheel hubs. Keep in mind that there might be some air trapped in the system (while you replaced the modulator) and if that air goes in the modulator, you would have to manually switch the modulator solenoids (using Diagnostic Tool) so that the air is purged. I learned that from @Xulfiqar bhai.

Some mechanics hesitate and partially bleed the system, so that the customer can see a clear oil color in the reservoir. They fear that a possible rust in the lines would cause more problems when tried to flush completely.

Regarding how to test it, drive upto around 40 to 50 KM/h on a clear carpeted road (with proper tyre inflation pressure). Make sure there is no one behind you. Once absolutely sure, slam on the brakes as if you want the wheels to jam.

When the ABS kicks in, you will start feeling a vibration in pedal and hear a grinding noise. Thats all normal. Thats how ABS works

But I doubt if the paddle is spongy, it wont allow that now.

----------------------
    By the way you forgot to credit @msabbasi

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you @rustam54 yes i m really sorry that i forget to mention @msabbasi thank you Sir as well. Yes i tested in that way as well. Despite of hard barking the Abs come in to play only two times in almost 7 tries and i felt it as well. It may be due to that air trapped. I will post the pictures of the new part along with the old one. Do i need to compare any part number written on it

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rustam54 View Post
    Good to know that the issue is resolved to some extent. For spongy breaks, be generous and completely bleed the brake oil from master cylinder to modulator to wheel hubs. Keep in mind that there might be some air trapped in the system (while you replaced the modulator) and if that air goes in the modulator, you would have to manually switch the modulator solenoids (using Diagnostic Tool) so that the air is purged. I learned that from @Xulfiqar bhai.

Some mechanics hesitate and partially bleed the system, so that the customer can see a clear oil color in the reservoir. They fear that a possible rust in the lines would cause more problems when tried to flush completely.

Regarding how to test it, drive upto around 40 to 50 KM/h on a clear carpeted road (with proper tyre inflation pressure). Make sure there is no one behind you. Once absolutely sure, slam on the brakes as if you want the wheels to jam.

When the ABS kicks in, you will start feeling a vibration in pedal and hear a grinding noise. Thats all normal. Thats how ABS works

But I doubt if the paddle is spongy, it wont allow that now.

----------------------
    By the way you forgot to credit @msabbasi
    Thank you @rustam54 yes i m really sorry that i forget to mention @msabbasi thank you Sir as well. Yes i tested in that way as well. Despite of hard barking the Abs come in to play only two times in almost 7 tries and i felt it as well. It may be due to that air trapped. I will post the pictures of the new part along with the old one. Do i need to compare any part number written on it

Thank you. It was my pleasure, glad to offer help. Great to hear that all is "almost" well and at the very reasonable price of just Rs. 20k. Solution to the spongy brake pedal has been provided - bleeding. Once your car's brakes are properly sorted, you will find that this car has one of the best brakes on any of the locally produced cars. I too own a 8th gen Civic (2007) and find it very pleasing to drive. One small advice, follow the service as laid out in the service booklet. You will find your car to be VERY trouble free.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

User Tag List