Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Unhappy Help Needed Civic 8th generation maintenance and Mandatory Inspections

AOA PWs, Recently i bought a 2011 Civic from one of my ____ (ok forget it). When i purchased it the lights for Hand brake and ABS are ON. He told me that the hand brake light may be due to low brake oil whereas the ABS light is due to worn brake pads. I have taken his word as granted and didn't pay any heed (As i m not that much experienced). Recently I have took my ride to Honda Fort Lahore for tune up works and surprisingly the guy told me that the light for Hand Brake and ABS are On simultaneously because of malfunctioned of ABS modulator and this part need to be replaced (He did it after thoroughly checking through the Computer and the wiring) The price for new modulator is 90K. Although I know ABS is not that worth worthy to spend that much of money until or unless I encounter snow fall or slippery road. But still i want to dig out, replacing modulator is the solution? or I have to give second chance to some good mechanic (Although Honda fort has a very good reputation). Some one told me to buy it from Bilal Gang and you get it very cheaper. Expert suggestions are required how to deal with that problem.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks once again @msabbasi @rustam54 . One more quick question as I m going to bleed it again which barke oil you recomend?

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I would have said Seiken (for a budget bleed) but those Cans are reported to be fake/replica in some circles.

Go for Honda Brake Oil. You may buy from 3rd Party Sellers at Montgomery road (those have Thai Printed on them) and are a little cheaper. If price difference is not much, buy from Honda Sughoi or any other 3S.
    The Soul's Journey After Death in Islam (www.bit.ly/SoulsJourney) -- Originally Shared by kse101

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rustam54 View Post
    I would have said Seiken (for a budget bleed) but those Cans are reported to be fake/replica in some circles.

Go for Honda Brake Oil. You may buy from 3rd Party Sellers at Montgomery road (those have Thai Printed on them) and are a little cheaper. If price difference is not much, buy from Honda Sughoi or any other 3S.
    Agree with @rustam54. Use only Honda Brake fluid. It is DOT3. This will help you in future when you go for the usual service and there is need to top up the fluid. They will use the exact same type during the top up process.

One thing you need to consider. You had the modulator job done by International Motors, I am guessing you have no idea which fluid was used by them so it is not known if it is compatible with the Honda fluid being recommended here. It is better that you go for a 100% fluid change replacing whatever there is in there at the moment with the Honda fluid.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

how about the guard oil, im seeing guard everywhere, and the good thing is that the big oil stores now also keep liqui moly brake oil, i saw it today and it is also dot 3
    haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@rustam54 @msabbasi yes you are right i dont know what they poured into it. I will change it by the hondas one. Furthermore there is a metallic screeching sound when i apply brakes. I think it is due to rear worn brake pads as the front one are quite new as described by the honda fort 3s mechanic. So u know my next question, Do i have to go for the genuine honda rear brake pads set which is going to be almost 10k or i have some other reliable and ecnomical option as well. And atlast i have written brakes instead of barkes

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by margallar View Post
    how about the guard oil, im seeing guard everywhere, and the good thing is that the big oil stores now also keep liqui moly brake oil, i saw it today and it is also dot 3
    Yes Guard oil is what is left after Sieken is gone. I have used Guard oil once. About 2 years ago during second bleed of Cultus. Havnt had to hear any problems from the new buyer about brakes.

But you cant compare OEM to Guard my dear friend. The same goes for difference in Quality of Oil Coated Air filters and those of Guard.

And yet, same goes for quality of Oil Filters. I tried alot to summon up the courage to switch to Guard to save some costs for the maintenance. But physical inspection always inspired me to spend more and get the Honda ones.

No idea...or should I say....zero experience with Liqui Moly.

Quote Originally Posted by ras719 View Post
    @rustam54 @msabbasi yes you are right i dont know what they poured into it. I will change it by the hondas one. Furthermore there is a metallic screeching sound when i apply brakes. I think it is due to rear worn brake pads as the front one are quite new as described by the honda fort 3s mechanic. So u know my next question, Do i have to go for the genuine honda rear brake pads set which is going to be almost 10k or i have some other reliable and ecnomical option as well. And atlast i have written brakes instead of barkes

Well this question of yours is a bity difficult for me to answer. Thats because I spend based on the past record of the vehicle. Although I am always in favor of OEM replacements, I have to honest on this one.

For example, I would never buy aftermarket for a 09 City. But for the 04 City that I just acquired, I had to opt for a budget solution. I think the ones from Nissin are pretty good brake pads and they dont cause damage to Disk Plates. More cheaper (Replica Honda Pads) start glazing the disks.

Have used the Nissin ones in City 07 and City 04. No problem so far. If they dont last as long as 60K, I think I am good if they last 40K for less of the OEM price.

Again, its your choice. How do you want to maintain your car.
    The Soul's Journey After Death in Islam (www.bit.ly/SoulsJourney) -- Originally Shared by kse101

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Heh Heh!! yes you seem to have caught the "barkes" vs "brakes" thing

The screeching sound can be due one of three reasons:

1 - Brake dust
    2 - Missing anti squeal shims
    3 - Worn brake pads (in our cars that don't have a pad wear warning light)

Before I go into one of my long winded posts just remember, "menga roye aik bar, sasta roye bar bar".

All of these 1, 2, 3 will be addressed when you go for the brake bleed job at your local 3S shop. Ask them to do a brake service at the same time they do the bleed. It is one of the standard jobs the Honda people do at every 5000km service. All pads are taken out checked for thickness, cleaned, roughened up with emery to remove glaze, disc thickness checked. In your case, when the guy opens up the rear pads, if they are thin, you will be told, if the anti squeal shims are missing, you will be told and if the noise is due to brake dust, it will be removed as part of the normal service.

I am going to carry on from where @rustam54 left off, the question if you should go for original or duplicate (cheaper) pads. Are you sure OEM ones are 10k for the rear set? I think they are cheaper than 10k. I have owned 12 cars since 1986 (my first car) in the maintenance and care of all these I have always asked myself this question, "If I buy this low price duplicate part will I be saving in the long run?" ask yourself the same question. In fact since we are talking brake pads there is an additional question you need to ask yourself, "In an emergency if I crash, could it have been avoided if I had used OEM pads?" If you can satisfy yourself go for the cheaper pads.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by margallar View Post
    Don't think much of Guard products. Never used them. Probably never will. An engine rebuild can be as much as 70k depending on the car. I can afford the 50 or 100 or even 500 rupee price difference in buying established or OEM brands over Guard products but I cannot afford to spend 70K on my car's engine rebuild.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank u @rustam54 and @msabbasi for your contineous guidance. Ok i want to admit that i m very un experinced in case of Pakistani market as i was away for the last five years. And before that i had my fathers 3 door land cruiser and toyota 86, never bothered about their maintenance as my father himself take care of them. Its my first ride in Pak although I had an experience of ford Mondeo and volvo but not in Pak. So i will keep asking for your guaidance thank u for bearing me. Recently i have used 5w-30 fuel economy shell helix oil. I hope you understand my nxt question.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank u @rustam54 and @msabbasi for your contineous guidance. Ok i want to admit that i m very un experinced in case of Pakistani market as i was away for the last five years. And before that i had my fathers 3 door land cruiser and toyota 86, never bothered about their maintenance as my father himself take care of them. Its my first ride in Pak although I had an experience of ford Mondeo and volvo but not in Pak. So i will keep asking for your guaidance thank u for bearing me. Recently i have used 5w-30 fuel economy shell helix oil. I hope you understand my nxt question.

No issues. Gald to help. You are not all that inexperienced in the area of cars. After all, you chose the best locally assembled car .

Outside Pakistan even the non dealer workshops do good work. Sometimes even better. As far as oil is concerned, the 8th Gen Civic oil change interval is 5000km. Oil filter interval is 10,000km. Using cheaper oils of the correct density is OK, but you have to change oil at shorter intervals, maybe 2500-3000km. Maybe @Xulfiqar will be in a better place to explain the differences in LDO (long drain oils) and the cheaper ones.

One thing is for sure, that is, the cheaper oils hydro-carbon chains break down early (characterized by oil becoming black) compared to the LDO or synthetic oils. Check your car's owner's manual for the correct oil grade. Honda 3S shops use fully synthetic oil. I'll check my car's manual for correct grade in the morning (book is in the car). Off the top of my head I think it is 10W-30.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

😊 waiting for that by book thing @msabbasi

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@rustam54 @msabbasi when i turned on the ignition today i heard a weird sound. Just like the sound which came when your vehicle is already started and you still kept the key on start position grrrrrrrrr with high pitch. Its the second time i felt that sound. Is that normal or i m becoming irrational

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@rustam54 @msabbasi when i turned on the ignition today i heard a weird sound. Just like the sound which came when your vehicle is already started and you still kept the key on start position grrrrrrrrr with high pitch. Its the second time i felt that sound. Is that normal or i m becoming irrational

Most likey thats the sound of fuel pump pressurizing the fuel line before ignition. Nothing to worry about.

It turns off after couple of seconds. Again comes on when you start the car. But you cant hear it then.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I am going to go out on a limb and say that the starter bendix is the culprit. Bendix is probably an American word, Honda call it "overrunning clutch". That is item 11 in the drawing you will see by clicking on the link: http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Pr...=13989 1483873

Well, what is the bendix you might ask? If you have ridden a bicycle, its function is basically similar to the rear drive of the bicycle. When the pedals are turned forwards (starter is cranking the engine) the rear wheel turns but when the bike is going down hill it allows you to keep the pedals in one place (engine started and turning faster than the starter motor). Sometimes the small dogs in the rear sprocket of the bike slip and the pedals become free in the forward direction. As kids we used have a real good laugh when one of our friends bike became free. He would furiously pedal away but get nowhere. When the bendix is on its way out, it begings to slip same as the bike. IMHO the Grrrrr you hear is the slipping bendix. The bendix - Honda p/n 31207-PCA-003 - is not as expensive as changing the whole starter.

Oh there is one other reason for the noise. Bad or loose battery terminals. It is possible that the current from the battery is not strong enough to operate the starter solenoid. So first clean the battery terminals (as that is easy and costs nothing). If the noise is still there, it is the bendix.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

�� waiting for that by book thing @msabbasi

Sorry fo the delay. Was too busy all morning. The correct oil for the Civic for our climate is 10W-30 (what the 3S place uses). The oil you used (5W-30) is a bit thin, manual says it is for ambient temperatures of -30C and below. You can also use 15W-40.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks guys way too technical for me 😁. But cleaning the battery terminals are easy. I will do that and update you people.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Most likey thats the sound of fuel pump pressurizing the fuel line before ignition. Nothing to worry about.

It turns off after couple of seconds. Again comes on when you start the car. But you cant hear it then.
    With reference to the above post, may I ask what is the mileage on your car? Reason for asking is that Honda specifies replacement of fuel filter of the Civic every 40,000km. The filter and the pump are "one unit" located inside the fuel tank accessible after removing the back seat lower cushion. If your car's mileage is more than 40,000km and the filter has not been changed, then as a matter of routine maintenance you get the 40,000Km service done. The pump gets changed with the filter. Price is about Rs 9,000 (for just the pump/filter).

It seems that with all these issues the gent who owned this car before was not too keen on its maintenance. These Civics, if looked after, are reliable as the sun.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@msabbasi @rustam54 Dear the odo even cross 80k mark when i bought it. And i m not sure weather its 80k tune was done or not. Didnt find any record with the 3s dealer. they have given me a 54k estimate for 80k tune up. Neither they were confidant about the tune up either it was done or not. Is there any way to check weather its tune up was done or not. Or i have to swallow that 54k thing for mind satisfaction. Only thing I have done after purchasing it is its oil change and the other one was its Abs as you know. Rest i didnt do any thing yet.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@msabbasi @rustam54 Dear the odo even cross 80k mark when i bought it. And i m not sure weather its 80k tune was done or not. Didnt find any record with the 3s dealer. they have given me a 54k estimate for 80k tune up. Neither they were confidant about the tune up either it was done or not. Is there any way to check weather its tune up was done or not. Or i have to swallow that 54k thing for mind satisfaction. Only thing I have done after purchasing it is its oil change and the other one was its Abs as you know. Rest i didnt do any thing yet.

No need for spending 54 k they are just RIP OFF's

Treat others the way you want to be treated
    Always respect your parents

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What are they going to do in 54K....an engine swap with a new one?..... i think that 3S dealer who gave you this quote is totally out of his mind.....
    Just go to some good trusted mechanic and ask him to change plugs and clean TB.....change Engine oil, air filter and oil filter and fuel filter, get brake pads replaced if neccessary ...if it is manual replace gear oil....if car is Prosmatic...dont do anything if you are not getting any prob...and you are good to go....these are very basic and only required things...any reasonable mechanic would be able to do it....no need to take extra "pangas".....you may not need to do all the above mentioned things btw...
    NiGhT ShAdE>>~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

User Tag List