Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Unhappy Help Needed Civic 8th generation maintenance and Mandatory Inspections

AOA PWs, Recently i bought a 2011 Civic from one of my ____ (ok forget it). When i purchased it the lights for Hand brake and ABS are ON. He told me that the hand brake light may be due to low brake oil whereas the ABS light is due to worn brake pads. I have taken his word as granted and didn't pay any heed (As i m not that much experienced). Recently I have took my ride to Honda Fort Lahore for tune up works and surprisingly the guy told me that the light for Hand Brake and ABS are On simultaneously because of malfunctioned of ABS modulator and this part need to be replaced (He did it after thoroughly checking through the Computer and the wiring) The price for new modulator is 90K. Although I know ABS is not that worth worthy to spend that much of money until or unless I encounter snow fall or slippery road. But still i want to dig out, replacing modulator is the solution? or I have to give second chance to some good mechanic (Although Honda fort has a very good reputation). Some one told me to buy it from Bilal Gang and you get it very cheaper. Expert suggestions are required how to deal with that problem.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ras719 View Post
    @msabbasi @rustam54 Dear the odo even cross 80k mark when i bought it. And i m not sure weather its 80k tune was done or not. Didnt find any record with the 3s dealer. they have given me a 54k estimate for 80k tune up. Neither they were confidant about the tune up either it was done or not. Is there any way to check weather its tune up was done or not. Or i have to swallow that 54k thing for mind satisfaction. Only thing I have done after purchasing it is its oil change and the other one was its Abs as you know. Rest i didnt do any thing yet.

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by NiGhTShAdE View Post
    What are they going to do in 54K....an engine swap with a new one?..... i think that 3S dealer who gave you this quote is totally out of his mind.....
    Just go to some good trusted mechanic and ask him to change plugs and clean TB.....change Engine oil, air filter and oil filter and fuel filter, get brake pads replaced if neccessary ...if it is manual replace gear oil....if car is Prosmatic...dont do anything if you are not getting any prob...and you are good to go....these are very basic and only required things...any reasonable mechanic would be able to do it....no need to take extra "pangas".....you may not need to do all the above mentioned things btw...
    Quote Originally Posted by huzaifa.haroon View Post
    No need for spending 54 k they are just RIP OFF's

Treat others the way you want to be treated
    I think it is safe to say no service was done to your car other than an oil change now and then. Probably a local Guard filter was used. Can you please share the breakdown of the 54k? It seems a bit steep. Getting the throttle body washed is inviting trouble so avoid that at all costs. Also there is no need to have the discs machined. This a very bad practice exercised here in Pakistan. Discs are replaced when they become thin. (I think that might be one of the things in the 54k estimate). If your car is an auto, its tranny fluid and filter MUST be changed at the stipulated mileage or your next thread will be, "Civic Prosmatic not shifting". Replacing fuel filter involves replacing the pump as well that is about 8,500. I wonder if there is a timing belt replacement included? .

I agree with @huzaifa.haroon that 3S are expensive compared to ustaat Rehmatullh sitting under a tree in G-10 with a screwdriver and pliers in his tool box. Could that be because he has no access to an exhaust analyser, OBDII reader, or the training Honda techs got by the Japs, or the repair procedures specified by Honda, or the Honda special service tools. Sure he is cheaper than the 3S place. When I see a Honda standing by the side of the road with it bonnet open or being towed, I ask myself, "I wonder if that car had all its service done as per the service booklet"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

when ever you come to Islamabad, contact me and I will get it done for you. I bet, it will be done in less than 10k in any case.

ABS is very important feature of the car. Please don't ignore it.
    Ehtesham Bokhari
    https://www.facebook.com/sebokhari

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Cleaning throttle body is no problem at all....no complex parts at all like carburetor...it is the most low tech job....i have done it number of times on many cars as a DIY..... only care is that you should not disturb IACV...clean IACV openings using nozzled device...do not open it....

As for ATF i have seen number of people getting in trouble after taking proactive measures on auto transissions....something or the other goes wrong.....everyone should do it as he likes...

and for 3S dealers ....all i can say is they are expensive way to provide you with false satisfaction...
    And nothing happens to the discs after just 80K...no need for replacing them....
    NiGhT ShAdE>>~

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by NiGhTShAdE View Post
    Cleaning throttle body is no problem at all....no complex parts at all like carburetor...it is the most low tech job....i have done it number of times on many cars as a DIY..... only care is that you should not disturb IACV...clean IACV openings using nozzled device...do not open it....

As for ATF i have seen number of people getting in trouble after taking proactive measures on auto transissions....something or the other goes wrong.....everyone should do it as he likes...

and for 3S dealers ....all i can say is they are expensive way to provide you with false satisfaction...
    And nothing happens to the discs after just 80K...no need for replacing them....
    You are right about the discs, they should be OK at 80k ..... no one said they needed to be changed. One of my cars has crossed 175,000km on the original discs - never been machined.

One can never be to old to learn. I am sure this will be one occasion where my knowledge base will be increased. As part of my education process, following are the questions come to mind.

- What is to be achieved by washing the throttle body?

- What impact does the wash have have on the operation of the engine?

- After your DIY job of throttle body wash, which aspects of your cars performace showed a positive improvement and how long did this improvement last?

- Why is throttle body wash not listed as a regular service item in the service booklet if it essential to the good running of the car? After all, auto manufacturer's spend billions on conducting surveys from owners and worksops to detrmine improvements in their cars. It costs hardly one cent to add one line in the service booklets, "carry out throttle body wash every ..... km"

- Why is this activity not done as a regular job in other parts of the world? I have lived in many parts of the world and own a number of cars in these locations over the last 25 years. Heard about throttle body wash first time in Pakistan.

Looking forward to learning from you. Please don't think this as a antagonistic post, just want to learn.

Regarding the ATF, if proper fluid replacment procedure is followed, draining, with care to ceanliness and followed by refilling ATF of the correct specification to the correct level with the OEM filter, there is no reason for transmission to have problems following a ATF change. ATF change is done world over as a normal job. My old Jaguar used to have its ATF replaced almost every year (I used to drive huge distances in it), Never missed a beat, so did my 540i and the 745Li and the 500SEC and the Caprice and the Camry, and ... and....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by msabbasi View Post
    You are right about the discs, they should be OK at 80k ..... no one said they needed to be changed. One of my cars has crossed 175,000km on the original discs - never been machined.

One can never be to old to learn. I am sure this will be one occasion where my knowledge base will be increased. As part of my education process, following are the questions come to mind.

- What is to be achieved by washing the throttle body?

- What impact does the wash have have on the operation of the engine?

- After your DIY job of throttle body wash, which aspects of your cars performace showed a positive improvement and how long did this improvement last?

- Why is throttle body wash not listed as a regular service item in the service booklet if it essential to the good running of the car? After all, auto manufacturer's spend billions on conducting surveys from owners and worksops to detrmine improvements in their cars. It costs hardly one cent to add one line in the service booklets, "carry out throttle body wash every ..... km"

- Why is this activity not done as a regular job in other parts of the world? I have lived in many parts of the world and own a number of cars in these locations over the last 25 years. Heard about throttle body wash first time in Pakistan.

Looking forward to learning from you. Please don't think this as a antagonistic post, just want to learn.

Regarding the ATF, if proper fluid replacment procedure is followed, draining, with care to ceanliness and followed by refilling ATF of the correct specification to the correct level with the OEM filter, there is no reason for transmission to have problems following a ATF change. ATF change is done world over as a normal job. My old Jaguar used to have its ATF replaced almost every year (I used to drive huge distances in it), Never missed a beat, so did my 540i and the 745Li and the 500SEC and the Caprice and the Camry, and ... and....
    Sir i would like to explain a little bit in this regard.

After cleaning throttle body, you get better idle, smooth acceleration and better economy. And you know clean things run better.

Throttle body is cleaned all over the world. Maybe you have not heard of it. Here it is cleaned more due to our dirty environment and fuel.

I also have always cleaned the throttle body myself on my cars. Its a fun and easy job with very good results. I am the kind of guy who just needs to see the work done once and i can perform the thing myself. I saw the mechanic clean it during the tuning and after that i cleaned it myself when needed. I cleaned the throttle body of city 2001 and civic 2002.

Then we bought civic 2008.

I being my old self was super excited on getting new car and getting my hands on it opening stuff. I saw the service manual and opened it. I then noticed that the TB of this car was very difficult from the ones i have seen. So despite being the mad scientist i am, i just cleaned the throttle plate and did not fiddled with any other thing.

Then i started the car and the RPM went crazy. The car became horrible and gave hard jerks while driving. I tried every thing i could do, tried every method found online to reset the idle settings. Then i searched about it and came to know about the Drive by Wire throttle system of this car.

After failing miserably i finally decided to take it to my mechanic at honda pit stop. He told me that only the throttle plate needs to be cleaned of this car and any other thing should not be messed with. ( Thank God I didnt ) My TB was saved. He then reset the idle using the Honda Diagnostic Module attached to my car and his computer and told me that this is the only way to set the idle on this car.

Since then, i havent opened the throttle body myself. Mainly due to the cost of new throttle body he gave me
    None of the brave deserve fair....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the throttle plate on an EFI engine is quite large compared to a carby and is not subjected to liquid either, Cleaning it has no beneficial effect whatsoever - specially on DBW cars. even on drive by cable engines if the idle motor is part of the throttle you can shoot a jet of cleaner in it followed by a dousing of spindle oil and leave it be. the idle control motor when run dry will destroy itself. The metal coating on the motor itself is porous and is filled with an oil - more like zeolite bearings on a small motor.

I have repaired cars driven 250,000 miles (equal to 400,000 kms) that had DBW systems and never needed a throttle body wash because the idle is consistently adjusted to the new learned position. - Same toyota corolla/civic - with bad enough fuel that you may even find twigs in it. Recycled engine oil all its life and still pushing hard.

Even with old throttle systems the reason for failure in Pakistan is the consistent fiddling with it as a monthly regime because people "assume" its normal to visit the mechanic every 25 days and also due to the fact that most engines have the coolant connection disconnected or plugged shut with rust and muck from using plain water in the cooling system - the coolant connection is to provide a temperature hold on the throttle and prevent binding and wear because the throttle bore and blade are of dissimilar materials.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saadkhangul View Post
    Since then, i havent opened the throttle body myself. Mainly due to the cost of new throttle body he gave me
    Good thinking and thank you for being so honest in your post. Another word for doing something and ending up in a mess is "EXPERIENCE"

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@msabbasi @NiGhTShAdE @hizaifa.haroon @saadkhangul @Xulfiqar . The break up from 3s Dealer that is honda fort for 50700 (not 54k as i mentiioned earlier) is.
    Engine oil 5W-30 Rs 2400
    Oil Filter 820
    Air Filter 1730
    Fuel Filter 9150
    Front Disk Pads 8790
    Rear Disk Pads 6920
    P.s.f x 1 Rs 1040
    A.T.F x 3 Rs 4320
    Break Oil x1 Rs 930
    Spark Plugs x 4 Rs 7600
    Labour for
    80000 km check up, Engine tunning , throttle body service , Brake service , wheel Alignment , wheel balancing , Computer Checkup , General Check up = Rs 5000
    Fuel Injector Service Rs 2000
    Summary
    Parts = Rs 43700
    Labour= Rs 7000
    Total = 50700

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@msabbasi @NiGhTShAdE @hizaifa.haroon @saadkhangul @Xulfiqar . The break up from 3s Dealer that is honda fort for 50700 (not 54k as i mentiioned earlier) is.
    Engine oil 5W-30 Rs 2400
    Oil Filter 820
    Air Filter 1730
    Fuel Filter 9150
    Front Disk Pads 8790
    Rear Disk Pads 6920
    P.s.f x 1 Rs 1040
    A.T.F x 3 Rs 4320
    Break Oil x1 Rs 930
    Spark Plugs x 4 Rs 7600
    Labour for
    80000 km check up, Engine tunning , throttle body service , Brake service , wheel Alignment , wheel balancing , Computer Checkup , General Check up = Rs 5000
    Summary
    Parts = Rs 43700
    Labour= Rs 7000
    Total = 50700

Wow!! That is a lot of work (I better be prepared for my 80k Service). I can't say that any one or the other job can be omitted. All needs to be done at 80k km. However one can be a bit smart about getting the work done.

The bulk of the cost (43,000) sits in the parts. There are two things to consider:

One, Honda will list all the jobs and parts possible. Many times inspection reveals that a certain part does not require replacement so the actual invoice will be lesser than the estimate.

Two, I know that if the customer brings in the parts, Honda will replace them. It is not mandatory to buy them from the 3S place. Retailers selling original Honda parts give a discount while the 3S place has fixed prices. So if you went about collecting the parts from the market there is money to be saved ENSURING you get HONDA ORIGINAL PARTS. During your shopping be careful of parts that are fake Honda items. Generally, fast moving items (filters, brakes) fall into that category.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Engine oil 5W-30 Rs 2400
    Oil Filter 820
    Air Filter 1730
    Fuel Filter 9150
    Front Disk Pads 8790
    Rear Disk Pads 6920
    P.s.f x 1 Rs 1040
    A.T.F x 3 Rs 4320
    Break Oil x1 Rs 930
    Spark Plugs x 4 Rs 7600
    Labour for
    Summary
    Parts = Rs 43700
    Labour= Rs 7000
    Total = 50700

I would skip the throttle body cleaning and also the injector cleaning.

And make sure they use antisize behind the disc pads
    haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Engine oil 5W-30 Rs 2400
    Oil Filter 820
    Air Filter 1730
    Fuel Filter 9150
    Front Disk Pads 8790
    Rear Disk Pads 6920
    P.s.f x 1 Rs 1040
    A.T.F x 3 Rs 4320
    Break Oil x1 Rs 930
    Spark Plugs x 4 Rs 7600
    Labour for
    Summary
    Parts = Rs 43700
    Labour= Rs 7000
    Total = 50700

All things mentioned by Honda are neccessary after 80k....but the big question is ...do these parts cost so much? You can easily get equally good or maybe even better parts from outside...and labour is insanly high too....none of the things included in labour are high tech jobs...even from best mechanic would do them in under 2k ...and believe me none of the 3s dealers have good mechanics.....3s is all show sha....and as i said 'an expensive way to get false satisfaction'

Sent from LG Optimus LTE LU-6200 using PW forums mobile app
    NiGhT ShAdE>>~

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Engine oil 5W-30 Rs 2400
    Oil Filter 820
    Air Filter 1730
    Fuel Filter 9150
    Front Disk Pads 8790
    Rear Disk Pads 6920
    P.s.f x 1 Rs 1040
    A.T.F x 3 Rs 4320
    Break Oil x1 Rs 930
    Spark Plugs x 4 Rs 7600
    Labour for
    Summary
    Parts = Rs 43700
    Labour= Rs 7000
    Total = 50700

Prices of most of the stuff is okay. I would suggest to get these parts from the 3s dealer as it will be original. A lot of fake stuff in market.
    I would suggest you to skip the fuel injector service. They wont need service this early. And get plugs here from pakwheels. There are a lot of good sellers here. You can easily get laser iridiums. This will save you near 5000. Not much but still its a saving.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Its almost a year I have given the break up of cost required to go through the service they ( Honda dealership) recommended. The only thing i changed is engine oil, air filter and oil filter regularly and ATF only once and that is to in last month. The car is still in the same condition as I bought it last year. I am just wondering was all the things stated in my last post have no impact or I m stretching them to their limits. Never did the tunning thing as well. The avg is same as that of last year. I have almost driven it 25K kilometers in last One year. Any suggestion should i keep on driving or have to do some tunning or other mandatory check up?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Its almost a year I have given the break up of cost required to go through the service they ( Honda dealership) recommended. The only thing i changed is engine oil, air filter and oil filter regularly and ATF only once and that is to in last month. The car is still in the same condition as I bought it last year. I am just wondering was all the things stated in my last post have no impact or I m stretching them to their limits. Never did the tunning thing as well. The avg is same as that of last year. I have almost driven it 25K kilometers in last One year. Any suggestion should i keep on driving or have to do some tunning or other mandatory check up?
    I would recommend to change the brake pads so that they dont eff up the rotors. Can you tell me from where you bought the abs modulator ?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@saadkhangul thanks for the reply. I get it changed from international motors gulberg lahore.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

User Tag List