Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default VTEC and Fuel Economy Question

Hi,

I recently purchased a civic vti prosmatec 2004. Which had it's engine swapped. D16W9 is the original engine which comes with this model which is 3stage VTEC Honda D engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    New swapped engine in my civic is D17A Honda D engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Which I did not find exact information about, but I think it is VTEC with Standard and performance profiles. Engine has One Solenoid.

I am experiencing very low fuel mileage of around 5 to 6 km/l with light foot at around rpm of 3000. I need experts opinion about the issue but what I think it could be something related to ecu... for example the ecu of d16w9 would switch the engine from economy mode to standard mode at 2500rpm as stated in wikipedia. and I think currently my engine is switching from standard mode to performance mode at 2500rpm. is it possible that the solenoid would be connected with the 2500rpm switch of the ecu. I don;t know how ecu and stuff works.

Also when I put little hard foot on accelerator, when it crosses rpm of around 2500 to 2800 acceleration of vehicle decreases for a while and then suddenly it increase... that's why i think vtec is switching the profile at this rpm. if it would be the case, is it possible to attach the vtec solenoid to the ecu port where it would switch the vtec at 5500 rpm? as stated in wikipedia for d16w9 second switchover occurs at 5500rpm.

I will really appreciate if someone could help me.

Thanks

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Chek the plugs ,throttle body and air filter. The milage is too low for a civic. I get 12-14 km average per litre with ac in my vti.something might be wrong. I used to get 8 with a dead vtec engine. Vtec lag is normal but 3 rpm is not a light foot .the car does 110 at 3 k rpm. Try to keep it under 3. 60 at 2 k rpm is fine in 4th gear. And see the difference.
    Past cant be brought back ..but future can be made even better than the Past..if one wants to.. ....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by wasiflaeeq View Post
    Hi,

I recently purchased a civic vti prosmatec 2004. Which had it's engine swapped. D16W9 is the original engine which comes with this model which is 3stage VTEC Honda D engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    New swapped engine in my civic is D17A Honda D engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Which I did not find exact information about, but I think it is VTEC with Standard and performance profiles. Engine has One Solenoid.

I am experiencing very low fuel mileage of around 5 to 6 km/l with light foot at around rpm of 3000. I need experts opinion about the issue but what I think it could be something related to ecu... for example the ecu of d16w9 would switch the engine from economy mode to standard mode at 2500rpm as stated in wikipedia. and I think currently my engine is switching from standard mode to performance mode at 2500rpm. is it possible that the solenoid would be connected with the 2500rpm switch of the ecu. I don;t know how ecu and stuff works.

Also when I put little hard foot on accelerator, when it crosses rpm of around 2500 to 2800 acceleration of vehicle decreases for a while and then suddenly it increase... that's why i think vtec is switching the profile at this rpm. if it would be the case, is it possible to attach the vtec solenoid to the ecu port where it would switch the vtec at 5500 rpm? as stated in wikipedia for d16w9 second switchover occurs at 5500rpm.

I will really appreciate if someone could help me.

Thanks
    Why previous owner change the engine? Is any reason?

D17A are the performance engine not economical. Max you can get 9-10km/l from these engines. Don't expect more than 9-10km/l.

If you are not happy with economy, change the engine to stock one and engine can also get from 3s dealership. 3s dealership also change the engine of your car in reasonable price.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I think u should chk ur fuel pump motor...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

wiring problem d17 are often seen with auto trannies what is our vehicle with manual or auto?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rajaatta View Post
    wiring problem d17 are often seen with auto trannies what is our vehicle with manual or auto?
    yes, it's auto...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Low Milage on D17

hi
    i m also facing same sort of problem
    i swaped my engine from D15 non efi to D17 EFI in honda city 98 but experiencing low fuel milage on long as well as on local 9.5 km/h switching AC on/off didnt make any difference.
    on long RPM is usually on 3.2 and speed is around 120km/h
    on local RPM is between 2 to 2.5
    fuel tank is also changed to match the EFI Lineup but mechanic used Reborn Fuel Pump in it as the original fuel pump is damaged

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List