17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default API grading for honda civic 2005 manual vti

i have recently purchased a 7th gen honda civic 2005 eagle eye manual transmission. the car is petrol driven. the previous user did not use the oil as per the requirement of the car and poured it randomly. I have the owners manual which says use api grade SG, SH or SJ only. Nowadays, most of the oils are either SL, SM or SN grade. My question to all and especially @Xulfiqar bhai, @goodman2 and @Storm is that can i upgrade to SL, SM and SN grade or will it deteriorate my engine. I had gone through some threads which stated that newer grades lack zddp which is essential for some engines. My cars engine is D16w9.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ajall View Post
    Sir, Xulfiqar, has recommended to use shell heilix hx7 5w - 30. Some other PW members are recommending Havoline formula. Now I am really confused. Pls advise me finally what to do, as tomorrow I intend to change oil. Regards.
    waisay is hx7 5w30 semi synthetic ok for using in a high mileage 2005 civic keeping in mind the hot climate of karachi?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Synthetic is better than mineral for extreme temperature conditions (very hot or very cold). It is more resistant to break down from hot conditions. Karachi weather is not that hot though, compared to Islamabad for example.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ZainMahdi View Post
    Synthetic is better than mineral for extreme temperature conditions (very hot or very cold). It is more resistant to break down from hot conditions. Karachi weather is not that hot though, compared to Islamabad for example.
    @ZainMahdi pmed you something. please check and reply

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Roller rocker arms.

API grading for honda civic 2005 manual vti -1514275

I have a d15y3 civic exi 2005. It has flat tappets. People at dealerships told me. So high zddp is neeeded

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I use Castrol Magnetic 5W30 which is API-SL/CF with drain interval of 5k km with Honda filter in my Vti 05 120k driven. Till 50k km it was used on Honda Oil 5W30 which was total repacked but i quit is after 50k km and shifted to Castrol.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ok so i had poured in zic m 15w40 api sj when I had purchased honda civic 2005 vti manual. Today i had gone for a second oil change and had opted for caltex havoline formula 10w30 api sm mineral oil. overall, the drive of the car has improved alot, but upon checking the dipstick in the afternoon, i had discovered that the oil has started to turn black within 20 kms of the oil change. Is this normal? The shopkeeper was insisting to pour in shell helix hx7 5w30 api sn semi synthetic. I was reluctant so proceeded with havoline formula for the time

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hassaaniqbal92 View Post
    Ok so i had poured in zic m 15w40 api sj when I had purchased honda civic 2005 vti manual. Today i had gone for a second oil change and had opted for caltex havoline formula 10w30 api sm mineral oil. overall, the drive of the car has improved alot, but upon checking the dipstick in the afternoon, i had discovered that the oil has started to turn black within 20 kms of the oil change. Is this normal? The shopkeeper was insisting to pour in shell helix hx7 5w30 api sn semi synthetic. I was reluctant so proceeded with havoline formula for the time
    Bhai refrain from using 5w oils. My exi 2004 is 140000 kms driven and the previous owner was using shell hx5 10w40. I had poured in shell hx7 5w30 semI synthetic and my engine is screwed. It has started making noises and emitting white smoke too. Same can happen to ur ride too. I was planning to feed my car with fully synthetic oils such as zic a+ 5w20, zic 0w 0w30, zic xq 5w40, total quartz 9000 5w30, shell helix ultra 5w40, honda original oil 5w30 or caltex havoline fully synthetic 5w40. These were under my considerations. But to be on the safe side I opted for shell helix hx7 5w30 semi synthetic and even that backfired!!!!! 10-11 saal purana engine hai. Seal waghera kamzor hochuki hoti hain. Itna heavy formulation nae handle kar paata engine

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedraja1996 View Post
    I use Castrol Magnetic 5W30 which is API-SL/CF with drain interval of 5k km with Honda filter in my Vti 05 120k driven. Till 50k km it was used on Honda Oil 5W30 which was total repacked but i quit is after 50k km and shifted to Castrol.
    isnt it api sn??

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ayan_cdkey View Post
    Bhai refrain from using 5w oils. My exi 2004 is 140000 kms driven and the previous owner was using shell hx5 10w40. I had poured in shell hx7 5w30 semI synthetic and my engine is screwed. It has started making noises and emitting white smoke too. Same can happen to ur ride too. I was planning to feed my car with fully synthetic oils such as zic a+ 5w20, zic 0w 0w30, zic xq 5w40, total quartz 9000 5w30, shell helix ultra 5w40, honda original oil 5w30 or caltex havoline fully synthetic 5w40. These were under my considerations. But to be on the safe side I opted for shell helix hx7 5w30 semi synthetic and even that backfired!!!!! 10-11 saal purana engine hai. Seal waghera kamzor hochuki hoti hain. Itna heavy formulation nae handle kar paata engine
    Just becoz 5w ruined ur engine, it is not necessary that it will ruin mine too

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ayan_cdkey View Post
    Very strange explanation specially the "heavy formulation" thing....
    NiGhT ShAdE>>~

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lol with heavy formulation.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My friend (owner of oil shop) says, that when we keep using same company's engine oil, then after every oil change, it slowly turns to black.
    But when we change the company even with same oil viscosity, then usually engine oil turns black quicker. But, its normal as far as engine response is usual.
    Be Addicted To Help Others.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by tintin1 View Post
    My friend (owner of oil shop) says, that when we keep using same company's engine oil, then after every oil change, it slowly turns to black.
    But when we change the company even with same oil viscosity, then usually engine oil turns black quicker. But, its normal as far as engine response is usual.
    Your freind does not know what hes talking about.

I think he is trying to explain the concept of "patina" of the varnish that applies in the deposit phase of the oil life. The colour of the varnish may vary, it even happens with full synthetic lubes. They can range from light silver blue right upto butterscotch.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    Your freind does not know what hes talking about.

I think he is trying to explain the concept of "patina" of the varnish that applies in the deposit phase of the oil life. The colour of the varnish may vary, it even happens with full synthetic lubes. They can range from light silver blue right upto butterscotch.
    Thank you sir.

I also asked my friend that there are few people at PW who has very vast knowledge about cars, transmissions, engines, oils, almost everything.
    He told me that many people (Especially who runs company's operated workshops) have "CAR SOFTWARE DATA BASE". They can just put the name of engine or model, and it gives all types of actual informations according to company's recommendations.

e.g. If we put Audi A4 1.8 or 2KD-FTV or 1NZ-FE, etc. the software explains the Article number of each & every part. Even brake pads, hubs, monts, about suspensions, Oils, Battery, Wires, etc. almost each & everything about that Car.

Sir do you have same software? Can I also buy it plz?
    Be Addicted To Help Others.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What is the recommended change interval of caltex havoline formula 10w30 api sm. I was reading a pakwheels blog where the author mentions to change mineral oil after 3000 kms max.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What is the recommended change interval of caltex havoline formula 10w30 api sm. I was reading a pakwheels blog where the author mentions to change mineral oil after 3000 kms max.
    Bump!!!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

UOA for an 05 Civic on Havoline 5w-20 mineral. The oil was fine after 10k miles (16k km), which is the recommended normal service interval for that car.

Your local Civic can't run that far though - it doesn't have O2 sensors (the 8th and 9th gen have them). The engine produces more soot, and more fuel dilution takes place. Go for at least 5k km / 4 months if you are driving mainly in severe conditions; go for 10k km/ 8 months otherwise. (I read these intervals in the Khyber service manual; see if you can find a local service manual for your car).

Severe conditions in Karachi count as:

-repeated short trips under 8 km
    -driving in traffic jams
    -excessive idling, and stop-and go driving in temps above 32*C

This is not a complete list; I just listed the conditions relevant for Karachi.

Most people think that they are always driving under severe conditions - this is not the case. Any details about your daily commute can be helpful.
    _ 22 km/l from '03 VTi automatic, with plenty of room for improvement
    _ How to hypermile: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/1510/

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

UOA for an 05 Civic on Havoline 5w-20 mineral. The oil was fine after 10k miles (16k km), which is the recommended normal service interval for that car.

Your local Civic can't run that far though - it doesn't have O2 sensors (the 8th and 9th gen have them). The engine produces more soot, and more fuel dilution takes place. Go for at least 5k km / 4 months if you are driving mainly in severe conditions; go for 10k km/ 8 months otherwise. (I read these intervals in the Khyber service manual; see if you can find a local service manual for your car).

-driving in traffic jams

Most people think that they are always driving under severe conditions - this is not the case. Any details about your daily commute can be helpful.
    The car is sparingly used. I drive it to my college once a week. The total drive for that day is 50 kms. u can say that it is driven around 100 kms per week

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

-driving in traffic jams

The owners manual of my 7 th gen vti says to replace the oil and filter by 5000 kms. But a very detailed blog here on pakwheels said to replace mineral oil and semi synthetic oil by 3000 kms max due to the traffic and dusty conditions of Karachi.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If that detailed blog can post a UOA, that would be great. 3000 km is a motorcycle interval. Following it on cars is a waste of money.

Get the air filter blasted with pressurized air once a month; get the tires pumped while you are at it. The car wash guys do it for free. Use a good oil filter. When owner's manuals say "dusty environment", they mean the type of environment in heavy construction zones and unpaved roads. Karachi's roads are mostly paved.

I assume that your get to your university in the morning, and get back in the evening. Even on really hot days, the temperature is not above 32*C in the morning and in the evening.

Any traffic is fine as long its not a bumper-to-bumper situation. If you are using 3rd and 4th gear frequently, the traffic is probably thin enough.

If your college is at least 8 km away from your home, you might consider the 8 months interval.

edit: does the owner's manual say anything about normal/severe service? If not, thats just Honda copy pasting the outdated generic 3k mile interval followed in the U.S. The service manual can give more details in this regard.
    _ 22 km/l from '03 VTi automatic, with plenty of room for improvement
    _ How to hypermile: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/1510/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

User Tag List