2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Civic 03 A/T gear shifter stuck on P

Gear shifter of my civic 03 A/T stucks in 'P' position whenever i start. At this moment i am unable to press the release button. Its lock or release lever/button needs multiple pressing to get it released. My brake lights are working and moreover When i press the brake pedal prior pressing unlock button i hear a click from center console side and when i press unlock button i hear a click somewhere around steering wheel but gear shifter does not release from 'P' as the i cant press the release button. But after multiple attempts it gets released. Need help.

Second problem i observed is when i remove key from ignition even after short drive say about 20-30 min metal part of key seems hot. Is it normal ??

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

How old is the car's battery?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ZainMahdi Its about 6-7 months old.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if you hear the solenoids click then check the shifter assembly for dirt buildup, you need to remove the console assembly to check on it, you also need to check the lock cylinder, if you or your mechanic or locksmith ever put WD40 in it, its a high chance its jamming somewhere.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar It doesnt sound like jamming.... The problem is that when release button of shifter is pressed it is locked and is not depressed until pressed multiple times but once depressed and shifter is unlocked it moves like charm to R or D2, D3, D and back... Only problem faced is getting the button pressed. I feel that some supply signal comes from somewhere (which I dont know from where) to allow depressing that unlock button and that signal is intermittent.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qadir12345 View Post
    @Xulfiqar It doesnt sound like jamming.... The problem is that when release button of shifter is pressed it is locked and is not depressed until pressed multiple times but once depressed and shifter is unlocked it moves like charm to R or D2, D3, D and back... Only problem faced is getting the button pressed. I feel that some supply signal comes from somewhere (which I dont know from where) to allow depressing that unlock button and that signal is intermittent.
    remove the console around the shifter and check to see. Its 99% dirt/lint/lustre rubbish stuck in it.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qadir12345 View Post
    remove the console around the shifter and check to see. Its 99% dirt/lint/lustre rubbish stuck in it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

OK... Will check and report... ... Lets see what all i find in there.... Thanx Xulfiqar.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar Thanks dear. Console was removed and not much of dirt/lint or luster was found instead Solenoid vv shaft was found little rusty. Hope bcz of Karachi moisture. This rust on spring loaded shaft was not allowing shaft to complete its travel length smoothly to unlock the shifter. Little WD-40 did the job and all is fine now.

Regarding lock cylinder... Its not jamming or giving any trouble during its operation but only issue is the temperature of key which seems a little high when removed. What should be done and how should i proceed to resolve it ? A service of lock cylinder by locksmith ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the key does get hot because in your car the contacts cluster is not very well made. Leave it like that, if you feel the need to lubricate the lock barrel - get some beeswax, heat it and apply some to the key blade and move it in the ignition, blow it out with an air duster first - make sure you dont push the frosty liquid in there. If you cannot find the wax then some graphite powder is best - under no circumstances use WD40 or similar in there as it will jam the mechanism over time when the oil becomes sticky - oil attracts dirt.

btw - how come your shaft rusted? did water contact it? or is there a humidity problem in your car?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar thanks for your advice regarding lock cylinder. As far as rusty shaft is concerned my vote goes for Karachi's humidity. Living near Clifton gives a good share of humidity to all metal objects. Moreover, whenever AC is switched OFF or windows are opened/closed for a smoke ..... humidity just says HELLO... !!! Any good advice apart from quit smoking...???

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List