Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How to improve petrol consumption of Honda civic exi prosmactic 2006.

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default How to improve petrol consumption of Honda civic exi prosmactic 2006.

I have recently purchase a Honda civic exi prosmatic 2006 without CNG kit. I found its fuel economy not good. Almost 9 KM per liter. Did engine tuning from a good local workshop but problem remained the same. Anybody have a suggestion how to improve the mileage. I am a good driver and don't race the engine and always keep tire pressure 30 psi. Changed spark plugs, air filter, did tappets clearance readjusted, use caltex havoline formula 10w/30. New tires with normal size 185/65/15R. Engine never overhauled and engine burns very little oil. Please suggest. Khawaja Jodat Wapda Town Lahore. 03008457344

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bro as far as my experience. Ave u r getting frm an exi prosmatec is almost normal its not gonna give more than dat. As m using 2004 vti oriel prosmatec and getting 8km/l in lahore city now a days with 207000 on odo. These 7th gen civics are fuel guzzlers. I m using 5w 30 cleans filter every 500kms tyre pressures at 30. Had it tuned up injectors serviced plus tappets adjustment too. But not getting mote than 8 in local.

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Prosmatic have more fuel consumption...
    Some tips

Try to Drive at higher gear
    Try to remain under 2000rpm when shifting gears
    Jb speed breaker/traffic/stop point aaraha ha to peche se pedal chorden na k karib aa k pedal choren... Sari energy brake ne waste hi krni ha to koa faeda ziada petrol engine mai push ker k brake lagane ka

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks. Anyway can you please clarify me the reason that why these CF model civic cars consume so much petrol. Is this due to heavy weight of this model or something else. Despite of EFI system in this model it seems strange why it has a high petrol consumption. Do I need to clean the fuel injectors with ultrasonic cleaner device which cost up to Rs 2000 or the fuel injectors need to be replaced with new ones. Furthermore, what is the average mileage of toyota GLI 2013 as compared with civic exi prosmatic 2006. Khawaja Jodat Wapada town lahore 03008457344

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by khjodat View Post
    Thanks. Anyway can you please clarify me the reason that why these CF model civic cars consume so much petrol. Is this due to heavy weight of this model or something else. Despite of EFI system in this model it seems strange why it has a high petrol consumption. Do I need to clean the fuel injectors with ultrasonic cleaner device which cost up to Rs 2000 or the fuel injectors need to be replaced with new ones. Furthermore, what is the average mileage of toyota GLI 2013 as compared with civic exi prosmatic 2006. Khawaja Jodat Wapada town lahore 03008457344
    the mileage depends on many factors..ur driving habit..type of route travelled..fuel quality..vehicles parameters (tyre pressure,load,engine health,type of oil air filter used,type of tyres,etc,etc)
    9kmpl in lahore is ok imo..
    my Father's exi manual gives 12 kmpl in lahore without ac as 40% of his travelling is via Canal Bank road..otherwise not more than 11..
    gli roughly does the same 12 or 13 on a good day..
    in a recent motorway trip i manage to get 17kmpl on my civic exi without ac and speed at 100kmph..
    both 7th and 8th gen prosmatecs are fuel guzzlers..
    FOCAL /// PIONEER /// AUDISON /// KICKER /// JVC /// PHOENIX GOLD.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default How to improve petrol consumption of Honda civic exi prosmactic 2006.

My eagle eye vti manual gives 12 with gear shifts @ 2k rpm in isb

Being prosmatic and considering lahore traffic 9km/l seems fine.

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums
    What's Behind You, Doesn't Matter - Enzo Ferrari

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the best way to get premium avg from automatic honda's is to

(sell it)

and buy a manual city
    if someone is saying anything else like prosmatech gives 11-12 etc....its story book stuff
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The actual cause of poor fuel economy is in fuel injection system design
    U heard very often that city is designed for fyel economy and civic not.... This is all what company desire to want

Ecu(computer) of efi car is programmed in such a way that low amount of fuel is injected in engine as compared to those cars which are designed for more power and acceleration..

Civic has higher rate of fuel injection in engine to gain power.. I have the city 99neo honda installed civic engine in it but they used ecu of higher mileage tgats y same engine give me 13-15km local and 18km on highway......

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If this car came with a cat converter and 5 wire O2 sensor, like it was supposed to, it would have given comparable results to a City. Even with this design, you could still reduce the fuel consumption with your driving style. First of all, get its air/fuel ratio adjusted; it has probably never been adjusted by the previous owner.

You will have to learn some fuel saving techniques for automatic cars. One of them is the rate of acceleration. Find out the minimum shift speeds and torque converter lock up ranges. In my '03 VTi, the minimum shift speeds are: first to second at 1800 rpm, 2nd to 3rd at 32 km/h, which is where the torque also locks up. The car will slowly accelerate to 50 km/h like this.

If you want to go faster than 50, press just enough accelerator to unlock the converter. At about 60 km/h, momentarily let go of the accelerator; this will make the transmission shift to fourth and lock up. In my experience, it stays in lock up at or above 60 km/h, but it will unlock with the slightest hint of a heavy foot. If you want to go even faster, unlock the tq again (don't let it downshift); release the race and then press it again to lock the tq.

TL;DR version:
    -keep the rpm between 1500 and 2500
    -keep the transmission in lockup as much as possible

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Manual exi gives far more better mileage

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^^on the highways, the prosmetic will tear the manual apart, in terms of consumption.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Fuel economy can easily be improved, you just need to take your petrol tank off,

1. First internally clean it, make sure that there is no rusting inside, if yes then treat it. Nobody does this step but that’s the key to restoring your vehicles and bringing it to factory aspects.
    2. Replace the fuel filter
    3. Injector’s cleanup using ultrasonic injector cleaning machine.

Rest assured that by doing so, you have restored your fuel delivery mechanism which basically is a key to long lasting economy.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ZainMahdi View Post
    If this car came with a cat converter and 5 wire O2 sensor, like it was supposed to, it would have given comparable results to a City. Even with this design, you could still reduce the fuel consumption with your driving style. First of all, get its air/fuel ratio adjusted; it has probably never been adjusted by the previous owner.

You will have to learn some fuel saving techniques for automatic cars. One of them is the rate of acceleration. Find out the minimum shift speeds and torque converter lock up ranges. In my '03 VTi, the minimum shift speeds are: first to second at 1800 rpm, 2nd to 3rd at 32 km/h, which is where the torque also locks up. The car will slowly accelerate to 50 km/h like this.

If you want to go faster than 50, press just enough accelerator to unlock the converter. At about 60 km/h, momentarily let go of the accelerator; this will make the transmission shift to fourth and lock up. In my experience, it stays in lock up at or above 60 km/h, but it will unlock with the slightest hint of a heavy foot. If you want to go even faster, unlock the tq again (don't let it downshift); release the race and then press it again to lock the tq.

TL;DR version:
    -keep the rpm between 1500 and 2500
    -keep the transmission in lockup as much as possible

that would cause an incredible headache for a simpleton like me. I do not like the way the honda stupidmatic torque converters behave when the start to lock their clutch.

driving the way you mention will also cause rapid wear, your engine needs to breathe properly to keep itself rolling clean. the PCV system needs airflow to keep functioning. I drove cars in Pakistan to what are called galatic mileages for there, 400,000 kms without major rebuild - just maintenance. I did not baby it all the time either.

rule of thumb when buying a used car also says to stay away from cars owned by very old folks who only drive it ever so gently for 4 kms each day
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar, i wonder if the coils get good enough input voltage, that might be a reason for bad fuel economy,(this is a coil over plug setup, right?)
    haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    that would cause an incredible headache for a simpleton like me. I do not like the way the honda stupidmatic torque converters behave when the start to lock their clutch.

driving the way you mention will also cause rapid wear, your engine needs to breathe properly to keep itself rolling clean. the PCV system needs airflow to keep functioning. I drove cars in Pakistan to what are called galatic mileages for there, 400,000 kms without major rebuild - just maintenance. I did not baby it all the time either.

rule of thumb when buying a used car also says to stay away from cars owned by very old folks who only drive it ever so gently for 4 kms each day
    This driving style is not to bad once you get used to it. It actually becomes second nature, just like driving a manual transmission takes getting used to.

If you are worried about the PCV valve, there is another driving style you might be interested in: pulse and glide. It combines loading up the engine quite heavily at its BSFC sweet spot rpm range, then gliding and using all that efficiently built up potential energy, rinse and repeat.

If you actually drive like I have explained above, you will find that its not light throttle all the time; at 50 km/h, I find that I have to press the accelerator about 1/2 before the torque converter starts slipping again. The PCV gets plenty of airflow. An Italian tune up before an oil change also helps a lot.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ZainMahdi View Post
    This driving style is not to bad once you get used to it. It actually becomes second nature, just like driving a manual transmission takes getting used to.

If you are worried about the PCV valve, there is another driving style you might be interested in: pulse and glide. It combines loading up the engine quite heavily at its BSFC sweet spot rpm range, then gliding and using all that efficiently built up potential energy, rinse and repeat.

If you actually drive like I have explained above, you will find that its not light throttle all the time; at 50 km/h, I find that I have to press the accelerator about 1/2 before the torque converter starts slipping again. The PCV gets plenty of airflow. An Italian tune up before an oil change also helps a lot.

what you are writing is pretty much normal driving style anyway, one does not consistently gun the car on every single stretch of road.

when I drive I never allow the engine to labour when cold - once its at 80C mark - I then vary it depending on what is needed. engine power when required is demanded and I even reach to 5000 rpm and then ease off to drive normally. Never had problems with fuel usage or engine wear either. Any travel has a built in cost associated with it.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What does the pcv valve have to do with driving style? All I am aware of is that you just clean it with carb cleaner if it is choked

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

its a breather valve and it requires air to work, the air vent at the top of the engine is also part of the PCV system. When you see slow driven cold run cars come for repairs - you almost everytime see sludge or excessive oil wear in the engine compared to a normally used car.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

what you are writing is pretty much normal driving style anyway, one does not consistently gun the car on every single stretch of road.
    Most people don't drive autos like I have described. They suddenly press the gas and then release it, letting the RPM fluctauting wildly, never letting the converter stay in lock up, frequently upshifting and downshifting. My mom and dad drive like that, and they average 10 kml. I can average 13-14 driving like this, in heavy traffic, and this is on a car that doesn't have O2 sensors; it definitely runs a bit rich.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

its a breather valve and it requires air to work, the air vent at the top of the engine is also part of the PCV system. When you see slow driven cold run cars come for repairs - you almost everytime see sludge or excessive oil wear in the engine compared to a normally used car.
    Got your point, pcv system won't function effectively if the car is driven too gently or without t stat. After fixing both things my car's engine oil is very clean

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List