Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: oil for civic exi prosmatec 2004

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    ayan_cdkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    44
    Posts
    194
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default oil for civic exi prosmatec 2004

    hello guys,

    I have recently purchased a civic 2005 exi prosmatec in karachi. Its a petrol driven car with mileage 140,000 kms approx. I will be going for an oil change in a couple of days. The previous owner was using zic A 10w40, which i think is very thick for my ride and will not give me the best fuel economy. My neighbour has a 2005 vti manual and uses these two oils:

    1. ZIC 0W (0W-30) 100% synthetic
    2. ZIC A+ (5W-20) or (5W-30) 100% synthetic

    I was aiming to use zic xq 5w40 but my neighbour insisted on the above two options as he says that zic xq 5w40 is fully synthetic and not a wise option for my car.
    I am seeking the maximum fuel economy and the best acceleration and performance. Please recommend me an oil from these options ONLY for an all year use in Karachi. I am a resident of Karachi. I will be very grateful to you all. I expect an informative and supportive response since I am new to PW and this is my first post. I am also attaching a snapshot of the oil grades and temperature coverage from my civic's owners manual. Plus plz also tell me the difference between 100% synthetic and fully synthetic oils? ZIC mentions zic a+ and zic 0W as 100% synthetic and zic xq as fully synthetic. What is the difference? Is it just a marketing gimmick??? and is zic a+ 5w20 or 5w30??? I have seen both of these viscosities at a shop nearby

    Regards,
    Ayan Siddiqui

    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    PakWheeler Follow
    hassaaniqbal92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    24
    Posts
    870
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    I dont think these viscosities are for the climate of karachi. Xperts can guide better. @ZainMahdi, @Xulfiqar

  3. #3
    PakWheeler Follow
    ayan_cdkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    44
    Posts
    194
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hassaaniqbal92 View Post
    I dont think these viscosities are for the climate of karachi. Xperts can guide better. @ZainMahdi, @Xulfiqar
    i knew k yehi response milega. That is why I have attached the chart. Even 0w20 covers less than -30 degrees and more than 40 degrees. so please guide according to this chart. ZIC 0w and A+ come under the chart

  4. #4
    PakWheeler Follow
    ayan_cdkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    44
    Posts
    194
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    bump!!!!!!!!!!

  5. #5
    PakWheeler Follow
    ayan_cdkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    44
    Posts
    194
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hassaaniqbal92 View Post
    I dont think these viscosities are for the climate of karachi. Xperts can guide better. @ZainMahdi, @Xulfiqar
    well 0w20 also covers the range from less than -30 degree C to more than 40 degree C according to my owners manual.

  6. #6
    PakWheeler Follow
    ayan_cdkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    44
    Posts
    194
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    No one??? Cmon guys

  7. #7
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    galant1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    1,175
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    @ayan_cdkey

    5W30 fully synthetic is highly recommended for your car. I think 0w is not good for such old engines.

    I would recommend you to use Honda genuine 5w30 fully synthetic for your car. Always buy fluids, engine oil and engine oil filter from 3s dealership.
    Engineer + Car's Passion = Enthusiastic Personality.

  8. #8
    PakWheeler Follow
    ZainMahdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    22
    Posts
    928
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    0w-30 and 5w-30 are have the same viscosity at operating temperatures. The 0w will flow better during cold starts, leading to less engine wear. In Karachi weather though, the advantage of 0w is neglibible.

    As for fuel economy, you will be best off with 5w-20, or 0w-20 if you can find one. 5w-20 is quite shear resistant, with a spread of only 15 between hot and cold viscosities. If you are uncomfortable with SAE 20 oil, you can go up to SAE 30 oil (0w-30 or 5w-30). You will barely note the difference; a 20 weight oil behaves quite similarly to a 30 weight oil. Whatever you choose, you should regularly check the oil level on the dipstick; don't let it fall below the min mark, or go above the max mark. Both will damage the engine.

    As for the API ratings, this is quite an outdated manual, when advanced grades were not available in Pakistan. You can use any API rating; this car is not particularly picky about the grade, since it lacks a cat con and it has roller rockers. Older grades will not have 0w/5w-20 or 0w/5w-30 though.

  9. #9
    PakWheeler Follow
    ayan_cdkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    44
    Posts
    194
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZainMahdi View Post
    0w-30 and 5w-30 are have the same viscosity at operating temperatures. The 0w will flow better during cold starts, leading to less engine wear. In Karachi weather though, the advantage of 0w is neglibible.

    As for fuel economy, you will be best off with 5w-20, or 0w-20 if you can find one. 5w-20 is quite shear resistant, with a spread of only 15 between hot and cold viscosities. If you are uncomfortable with SAE 20 oil, you can go up to SAE 30 oil (0w-30 or 5w-30). You will barely note the difference; a 20 weight oil behaves quite similarly to a 30 weight oil. Whatever you choose, you should regularly check the oil level on the dipstick; don't let it fall below the min mark, or go above the max mark. Both will damage the engine.

    As for the API ratings, this is quite an outdated manual, when advanced grades were not available in Pakistan. You can use any API rating; this car is not particularly picky about the grade, since it lacks a cat con and it has roller rockers. Older grades will not have 0w/5w-20 or 0w/5w-30 though.
    So whats the final verdict???

    Should I opt for zic ow, zic a+ or zic xq???? Please recommend according yo my 140,000 km mileage and karachi environment
    Zic ow and zic a+ are 100% synthetic while zic xq is fully synthetic, whats the difference????

  10. #10
    PakWheeler Follow
    ayan_cdkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    44
    Posts
    194
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by galant1 View Post
    @ayan_cdkey

    5W30 fully synthetic is highly recommended for your car. I think 0w is not good for such old engines.

    I would recommend you to use Honda genuine 5w30 fully synthetic for your car. Always buy fluids, engine oil and engine oil filter from 3s dealership.
    Are you sure that fully synthetics will not cause leaks in a 140,000 km engine????

  11. #11
    PakWheeler Follow
    hassaaniqbal92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    24
    Posts
    870
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    keeping in mind that ur ride is 140k ms driven and karachi driven, I would suggest that you stick to caltex havoline formula 10w30.
    Fully synthetics or semi synthetics might ruin ur engine at this stage.

  12. #12
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    galant1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    1,175
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ayan_cdkey View Post
    Are you sure that fully synthetics will not cause leaks in a 140,000 km engine????
    It is old saying that by using the fully synthetic engine oil causes leaks but in real this is all fake thing, I experience it myself. I am using Honda genuine fully synthetic 5w-30 in my civic 99 vti oriel automatic. No leaks or odd things have seen so far.
    Engineer + Car's Passion = Enthusiastic Personality.

  13. #13
    PakWheeler Follow
    hassaaniqbal92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    24
    Posts
    870
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    well honda oil is sure rip off. What is the purpose of selling a can of 3.75 litres only. It is a repackaged total oil with more the price total demands.

  14. #14
    PakWheeler Follow
    ayan_cdkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    44
    Posts
    194
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Is no one willing to help????? I dont need any suggestions other than zic xq, ow and a+. If there is something wrong with using these oils in my car then please justify it

  15. #15
    PakWheeler Follow
    hassaaniqbal92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    24
    Posts
    870
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ayan_cdkey View Post
    Is no one willing to help????? I dont need any suggestions other than zic xq, ow and a+. If there is something wrong with using these oils in my car then please justify it
    if i were u, I'd not even think about these in a high mileage vehicle

  16. #16
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    tintin1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    1,828
    Follows
    7
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    7
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ayan_cdkey View Post
    So whats the final verdict???

    Should I opt for zic ow, zic a+ or zic xq???? Please recommend according yo my 140,000 km mileage and karachi environment
    Zic ow and zic a+ are 100% synthetic while zic xq is fully synthetic, whats the difference????
    Sir blindly go for ZIC XQ 5w-40.
    This oils is among THE BEST SYNTHEIC OILs and has very long change intervals.
    Believe me you can change it upto after 8~10k. But use good quality oil & air filter also.
    This choice is much much better than ZIC A+, ZIC OW, Havoline, Honda oil, etc.

    You know, presently this one (5w-40) is most expensive and higher performance oil. Its suitable in almost every vehicle, small or big, even petrol or diesel.
    Be Addicted To Help Others.

  17. #17
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    galant1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    1,175
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    @tintin1

    What about civic 99 vti? Can I use 5w-40 in it?
    Engineer + Car's Passion = Enthusiastic Personality.

  18. #18
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    tintin1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    1,828
    Follows
    7
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    7
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by galant1 View Post
    @tintin1

    What about civic 99 vti? Can I use 5w-40 in it?
    If engine does not burn/reduce the oil.
    If there is no any leakage from any of its seals.
    If rings are perfect.

    Then why cannot use 5w-40 ?

    Presently i am using Synthetic formula oil in my 1991 lancer. And its performance is far batter as compared with Mineral oil.
    Be Addicted To Help Others.

  19. #19
    PakWheeler Follow
    ayan_cdkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    44
    Posts
    194
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Bump!!!!!

  20. #20
    PakWheeler Follow
    ayan_cdkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    44
    Posts
    194
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Help! I just poured in shell hx7 yesterday anf since then strange sounds have started coming from the engine

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •