Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Gear oil for civic vti manual 2005

Dear Pakwheelers,

I am planning to get my civic's transmission oil changed. The onwer's manual says to purchase the oil from honda only known as mtf. This oil costs around 1210 per litre. And I believe that my car is going to need 2 litres. On the other hand, the owner's manual also states that a premium motor oil sae 10w30 or 10w40 can also be used as a substitute. What do experts recommend here????

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I am completely noob in case of transmissions. But using engine oil as gear oil is completely off the charts here. And salute to people saying manual transmission of HONDA is special and is completely different than ones being used in other manufacturers.

I am not sure if u guys are really trying to be stupid or u r stupid. Pouring engine oil as gear oil is temporary and should NOT be used as permanent solution in any circumstances.

3. 21-01-2015, 06:53 PM

PakWheeler

Reason
    not needed and were reported

4. 21-01-2015, 06:56 PM

PakWheeler

Reason

5. 21-01-2015, 07:17 PM

PakWheeler

Reason

6. 21-01-2015, 07:18 PM

PakWheeler

Reason

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by babarhyd View Post
    I am completely noob in case of transmissions. But using engine oil as gear oil is completely off the charts here. And salute to people saying manual transmission of HONDA is special and is completely different than ones being used in other manufacturers.

I am not sure if u guys are really trying to be stupid or u r stupid. Pouring engine oil as gear oil is temporary and should NOT be used as permanent solution in any circumstances.
    nobody here is saying or recommending to use engine oil as a permanent solution. the honda mtf is the only appropriate fluid for our rides, but due to some scarcity issues, I had raised up this thread. The owners manual quotes to use original honda brake fluid or any compatible dot 4 brake fluid. Like wise it should have said "use honda mtf or any other gear oil", but it doesn't. instead it says to use engine oil, thus there are some differences or possible complications that could arise by using simple gear oils. SO as a backup the engine oil was prescribed.

8. 21-01-2015, 07:25 PM

PakWheeler

Reason

9. 21-01-2015, 07:27 PM

PakWheeler

Reason

10. 21-01-2015, 07:34 PM

PakWheeler

Reason

11. 21-01-2015, 07:35 PM

PakWheeler

Reason

12. 21-01-2015, 07:35 PM

PakWheeler

Reason

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hassaaniqbal92 View Post
    nobody here is saying or recommending to use engine oil as a permanent solution. the honda mtf is the only appropriate fluid for our rides, but due to some scarcity issues, I had raised up this thread. The owners manual quotes to use original honda brake fluid or any compatible dot 4 brake fluid. Like wise it should have said "use honda mtf or any other gear oil", but it doesn't. instead it says to use engine oil, thus there are some differences or possible complications that could arise by using simple gear oils. SO as a backup the engine oil was prescribed.
    Brother did u go through the contents of HONDA mtf? There is something called monopoly. Every manufacturer prefers that people use there prescribed oils. Why would Honda say to use there Honda MTF? Ofcourse because of profits. And do u always use Honda Engine oils? Or do u use zic or shell or caltex? Come on man be reasonable.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Brother did u go through the contents of HONDA mtf? There is something called monopoly. Every manufacturer prefers that people use there prescribed oils. Why would Honda say to use there Honda MTF? Ofcourse because of profits. And do u always use Honda Engine oils? Or do u use zic or shell or caltex? Come on man be reasonable.
    Well I am not that of an expert. By my car was previously maintained by honda dealerships. I have the invoices which show the transmission oil change in 2012 december. However, I went to one of their dealerships and they were short of the mtf so I raised up this thread. And when I got the recommendations, I went up to my mechanic for replacing the mtf. And the drained fluid was nothing like an ordinary gear oil. Nor did it smell like gear oil. I have not done much content search yet. In in the words of one "SUPREME" pakwheeler, I am knowledge less :p

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hassaaniqbal92 View Post
    Well I am not that of an expert. By my car was previously maintained by honda dealerships. I have the invoices which show the transmission oil change in 2012 december. However, I went to one of their dealerships and they were short of the mtf so I raised up this thread. And when I got the recommendations, I went up to my mechanic for replacing the mtf. And the drained fluid was nothing like an ordinary gear oil. Nor did it smell like gear oil. I have not done much content search yet. In in the words of one "SUPREME" pakwheeler, I am knowledge less
    My logic is if you are a pakwheeler, you shouldn't just trust blindly to dealerships. Actually I agree with nightshade here. Pouring engine oil in transmission oil is worst decision one can make.

16. 21-01-2015, 08:04 PM

Senior PakWheeler

Reason

uiv
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Calm down every one, why are we all so easily offended?
    This is a web forum, and we are here to learn and help each other. How'd we learn if everyone agrees to everyone and there's no healthy discussion?

Arguments are the beauty of learning process, and and when some one brings their share of knowledge via an argument, we should only welcome them. Let there be more arguments, please.
    Peace.
    Please help us improve Pakwheels.com: https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/site-feedback-suggestions/280118-petition-pakwheels-store-spamming

18. 21-01-2015, 08:27 PM

PakWheeler

Reason

19. 21-01-2015, 08:31 PM
    uiv

Senior PakWheeler

Reason

20. 21-01-2015, 08:34 PM

PakWheeler

Reason

21. 21-01-2015, 08:41 PM

Senior PakWheeler

Reason

22. 21-01-2015, 08:44 PM

PakWheeler

Reason

uiv
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Please go through my post, #26 and #28, and be amazed. Up until 1995, Honda only recommended using motor oil in their manual transmission. So if any one IS stupid here, that has to be Honda folks

They didn't say this or that motor oil, so you can rule the monopoly thing out.

When manufactures recommend some oil or some other thing, they suggest the type, limit, etc- usually by saing use OEM, XYZ type or equivalent. Go through any Honda owner manual, and see recommendations for ATF, brake fluid etc.
    But for manual transmission they've been insisting to use only Honda or an engine oil if Honda is not available. Even for temporary use they advised to go for motor oil instead of an MTF. They're being so specific, so you can assume that any other MTF is not suitable for your Honda.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by uiv View Post
    Please go through my post, #26 and #28, and be amazed. Up until 1995, Honda only recommended using motor oil in their manual transmission. So if any one IS stupid here, that has to be Honda folks

They didn't say this or that motor oil, so you can rule the monopoly thing out.

When manufactures recommend some oil or some other thing, they suggest the type, limit, etc- usually by saing use OEM, XYZ type or equivalent. Go through any Honda owner manual, and see recommendations for ATF, brake fluid etc.
    But for manual transmission they've been insisting to use only Honda or an engine oil if Honda is not available. Even for temporary use they advised to go for motor oil instead of an MTF. They're being so specific, so you can assume that any other MTF is not suitable for your Honda.
    so should i buy original honda MTF? how many liters?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by cooldevil View Post
    so should i buy original honda MTF? how many liters?
    Honda mtf is perhaps the best option. 2 litres would do

uiv
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

BTW, I haven't done or rebuilt any Honda transmission myself- or any transmission for that matter- but I've had some Honda transmission disassembled, repaired and rebuilt.

Now the point being: synchros on pretty much all old Honda transmissions- H,D,F,B- are yellow, i.e. look like they're made of uncoated brass. This could very well be the reason to avoid ordinary MTF, coz most of them contain Sulphur compounds as EP additives, and we know sulphur attacks copper alloys.

Can anyone confirm or reject it, peacefully and gracefully?

27. 21-01-2015, 09:06 PM

Senior PakWheeler

Reason

28. 21-01-2015, 10:59 PM

Senior PakWheeler

Reason

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

BTW, I haven't done or rebuilt any Honda transmission myself- or any transmission for that matter- but I've had some Honda transmission disassembled, repaired and rebuilt.

Now the point being: synchros on pretty much all old Honda transmissions- H,D,F,B- are yellow, i.e. look like they're made of uncoated brass. This could very well be the reason to avoid ordinary MTF, coz most of them contain Sulphur compounds as EP additives, and we know sulphur attacks copper alloys.

Can anyone confirm or reject it, peacefully and gracefully?
    yes
    sulfur content ep additives corrode brass under high temperatures

so as we can see
    Honda knows what you should use in their manual transmissions.

and to the guys who are denying what the manual states.. what do you think about some manual transmissions that use ATF?
    https://www.facebook.com/OsamaAbbasPhotography

uiv
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by syncview View Post
    yes
    sulfur content ep additives corrode brass under high temperatures
    so as we can see
    Honda knows what you should use in their manual transmissions.
    and to the guys who are denying what the manual states.. what do you think about some manual transmissions that use ATF?
    We'll tell Mercedes and BMW to stop this nonsense, go for ZIC FF, and stop using ATF in some of their manual boxes

IIRC, Daewoo Racer in Pakistan takes ATF in manual transmission.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yep :d because they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about

never worked on a daewoo racer so no idea. it has a killer ac btw
    https://www.facebook.com/OsamaAbbasPhotography

uiv
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

There's a simple moral of the story: keep it simple, follow the manual.

There's a reason why they give you a owner's manual with your car; no one can guide you better about that car, than the people who made it. Honda had been telling their customers to put motor oil in manual trans. for over a decade, so it's highly unlikely that it were a printing mistake.

If your second hand car shouldn't come with one, download and recite its manual right away, it'd save you from a lot of trouble.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I am planning to change my civic exi gear oil over the weekend... It takes 1.5 litres of honda MTF. If anybody is willing to share the cost with me, we can purchase 3 litres instead of 4... I am based in ISB. If anybody else in islamabad is planning to purchase honda mtf and needs 1.5 litres, let me know.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

so what you're saying is that Honda doesn't know that 'gear oils' gl-4/5 are better for their manual transmissions as compared to engine oils they recommend?
    Honda are paagal LOL. (according to lube shop owners in Pakistan)

I have seen caltex rpm delo 400 and 500 (silver n gold) being used in gear type hydraulic pumps, tractor threshers, diesel engines, petrol engines, suction pumps, massage oil at truck adda (lol)

I have used the delo gold and silver in all manual shift honda transmissions - infact the difference between shifting with the mollases glue SAE 280 GL3 lube and this thinly flowing diesel engine lube was so vivid that the customers thought I had rebuilt the gearbox.

The reason to use this oil specifically was its foaming resistance and high pressure additives and that it met the specifications that Honda wrote in their service manuals Never had issues with that.

Sadly in Pakistan such lube businesses are run by "karyana shop"owners who treat everything as "maal" and will conjure up any story to sell their product - whether its applicable or not.

I had a customer who had a best freind selling oils - he gave him 2 gallons of ATF, customer asked me to use that "super duper ATF" in his corolla

the containers had a picture of an automatic shifter on it, below the picture was written

SAE 140
    GL3

I told the customer its not ATF, it was a sort of "honor saving" situation for him - but in the end he went and returned the bottles and got proper ATF for the job (some ENOC brand)
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

We'll tell Mercedes and BMW to stop this nonsense, go for ZIC FF, and stop using ATF in some of their manual boxes

IIRC, Daewoo Racer in Pakistan takes ATF in manual transmission.
    MB and BMW are nuts - They should be shot, bhala danda gheyr mein aatometick haail kaise chalay ga.

on the same note - line up Land Rover too - their later manual shift boxes also use ATF (off with their heads)

btw - devoo racer fill was a mix of ATF and GM synchromesh additive - a fantastic additive that makes the gears glide into action - that additive was sold at the deawoo dealers.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yep :d because they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about

never worked on a daewoo racer so no idea. it has a killer ac btw

and somehow that CCOT system is fail in Pakistan.. That harrison compressor is really Heavy duty.

BUT NO

feil teknalojee hai - average scarecrow AC tech in Pakistan who has never seen a CCOT system in his life would scratch his head on how the damn thing works, and going further would completely jack up the quick couplers at the accumulator instead of buying the correct compression tool.

I have also seen one who did not understand there is an orifice tube trapped in the liquid line and that it needed to be changed when it gets plugged

replacement tube comes with nuts and requires the AC tech to cut the original line and flare it to accept the replacement compression nuts. The original factory orifice tube was trapped between two pinched ears in the liquid line.

NOPES - too much techy for them - install made in china TXV in the most ghaslty manner and then blame the design.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

User Tag List