Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 58 of 58
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Gear oil for civic vti manual 2005

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    hassaaniqbal92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    24
    Posts
    870
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Gear oil for civic vti manual 2005

    Dear Pakwheelers,

    I am planning to get my civic's transmission oil changed. The onwer's manual says to purchase the oil from honda only known as mtf. This oil costs around 1210 per litre. And I believe that my car is going to need 2 litres. On the other hand, the owner's manual also states that a premium motor oil sae 10w30 or 10w40 can also be used as a substitute. What do experts recommend here????


  2. #41
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    babarhyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hyderabad
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,956
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    I am completely noob in case of transmissions. But using engine oil as gear oil is completely off the charts here. And salute to people saying manual transmission of HONDA is special and is completely different than ones being used in other manufacturers.

    I am not sure if u guys are really trying to be stupid or u r stupid. Pouring engine oil as gear oil is temporary and should NOT be used as permanent solution in any circumstances.

  3. 21-01-2015, 06:53 PM

    PakWheeler

    Reason
    not needed and were reported

  4. 21-01-2015, 06:56 PM

    PakWheeler

    Reason
    not needed and were reported

  5. 21-01-2015, 07:17 PM

    PakWheeler

    Reason
    not needed and were reported

  6. 21-01-2015, 07:18 PM

    PakWheeler

    Reason
    not needed and were reported

  7. #42
    PakWheeler Follow
    hassaaniqbal92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    24
    Posts
    870
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babarhyd View Post
    I am completely noob in case of transmissions. But using engine oil as gear oil is completely off the charts here. And salute to people saying manual transmission of HONDA is special and is completely different than ones being used in other manufacturers.

    I am not sure if u guys are really trying to be stupid or u r stupid. Pouring engine oil as gear oil is temporary and should NOT be used as permanent solution in any circumstances.
    nobody here is saying or recommending to use engine oil as a permanent solution. the honda mtf is the only appropriate fluid for our rides, but due to some scarcity issues, I had raised up this thread. The owners manual quotes to use original honda brake fluid or any compatible dot 4 brake fluid. Like wise it should have said "use honda mtf or any other gear oil", but it doesn't. instead it says to use engine oil, thus there are some differences or possible complications that could arise by using simple gear oils. SO as a backup the engine oil was prescribed.

  8. 21-01-2015, 07:25 PM

    PakWheeler

    Reason
    not needed and were reported

  9. 21-01-2015, 07:27 PM

    PakWheeler

    Reason
    not needed and were reported

  10. 21-01-2015, 07:34 PM

    PakWheeler

    Reason
    not needed and were reported

  11. 21-01-2015, 07:35 PM

    PakWheeler

    Reason
    not needed and were reported

  12. 21-01-2015, 07:35 PM

    PakWheeler

    Reason
    not needed and were reported

  13. #43
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    babarhyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hyderabad
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,956
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hassaaniqbal92 View Post
    nobody here is saying or recommending to use engine oil as a permanent solution. the honda mtf is the only appropriate fluid for our rides, but due to some scarcity issues, I had raised up this thread. The owners manual quotes to use original honda brake fluid or any compatible dot 4 brake fluid. Like wise it should have said "use honda mtf or any other gear oil", but it doesn't. instead it says to use engine oil, thus there are some differences or possible complications that could arise by using simple gear oils. SO as a backup the engine oil was prescribed.
    Brother did u go through the contents of HONDA mtf? There is something called monopoly. Every manufacturer prefers that people use there prescribed oils. Why would Honda say to use there Honda MTF? Ofcourse because of profits. And do u always use Honda Engine oils? Or do u use zic or shell or caltex? Come on man be reasonable.

  14. #44
    PakWheeler Follow
    hassaaniqbal92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    24
    Posts
    870
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babarhyd View Post
    Brother did u go through the contents of HONDA mtf? There is something called monopoly. Every manufacturer prefers that people use there prescribed oils. Why would Honda say to use there Honda MTF? Ofcourse because of profits. And do u always use Honda Engine oils? Or do u use zic or shell or caltex? Come on man be reasonable.
    Well I am not that of an expert. By my car was previously maintained by honda dealerships. I have the invoices which show the transmission oil change in 2012 december. However, I went to one of their dealerships and they were short of the mtf so I raised up this thread. And when I got the recommendations, I went up to my mechanic for replacing the mtf. And the drained fluid was nothing like an ordinary gear oil. Nor did it smell like gear oil. I have not done much content search yet. In in the words of one "SUPREME" pakwheeler, I am knowledge less :p

  15. #45
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    babarhyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hyderabad
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,956
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hassaaniqbal92 View Post
    Well I am not that of an expert. By my car was previously maintained by honda dealerships. I have the invoices which show the transmission oil change in 2012 december. However, I went to one of their dealerships and they were short of the mtf so I raised up this thread. And when I got the recommendations, I went up to my mechanic for replacing the mtf. And the drained fluid was nothing like an ordinary gear oil. Nor did it smell like gear oil. I have not done much content search yet. In in the words of one "SUPREME" pakwheeler, I am knowledge less
    My logic is if you are a pakwheeler, you shouldn't just trust blindly to dealerships. Actually I agree with nightshade here. Pouring engine oil in transmission oil is worst decision one can make.

  16. 21-01-2015, 08:04 PM

    Senior PakWheeler

    Reason
    not needed and were reported

  17. #46
    uiv
    uiv is offline
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    uiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    1,683
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Calm down every one, why are we all so easily offended?
    This is a web forum, and we are here to learn and help each other. How'd we learn if everyone agrees to everyone and there's no healthy discussion?

    Arguments are the beauty of learning process, and and when some one brings their share of knowledge via an argument, we should only welcome them. Let there be more arguments, please.
    Peace.
    Please help us improve Pakwheels.com: https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/site-feedback-suggestions/280118-petition-pakwheels-store-spamming

  18. 21-01-2015, 08:27 PM

    PakWheeler

    Reason
    not needed and were reported

  19. 21-01-2015, 08:31 PM
    uiv

    Senior PakWheeler

    Reason
    not needed and were reported

  20. 21-01-2015, 08:34 PM

    PakWheeler

    Reason
    not needed and were reported

  21. 21-01-2015, 08:41 PM

    Senior PakWheeler

    Reason
    not needed and were reported

  22. 21-01-2015, 08:44 PM

    PakWheeler

    Reason
    not needed and were reported

  23. #47
    uiv
    uiv is offline
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    uiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    1,683
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babarhyd View Post
    I am completely noob in case of transmissions. But using engine oil as gear oil is completely off the charts here. And salute to people saying manual transmission of HONDA is special and is completely different than ones being used in other manufacturers.
    I am not sure if u guys are really trying to be stupid or u r stupid. Pouring engine oil as gear oil is temporary and should NOT be used as permanent solution in any circumstances.
    Please go through my post, #26 and #28, and be amazed. Up until 1995, Honda only recommended using motor oil in their manual transmission. So if any one IS stupid here, that has to be Honda folks

    They didn't say this or that motor oil, so you can rule the monopoly thing out.


    When manufactures recommend some oil or some other thing, they suggest the type, limit, etc- usually by saing use OEM, XYZ type or equivalent. Go through any Honda owner manual, and see recommendations for ATF, brake fluid etc.
    But for manual transmission they've been insisting to use only Honda or an engine oil if Honda is not available. Even for temporary use they advised to go for motor oil instead of an MTF. They're being so specific, so you can assume that any other MTF is not suitable for your Honda.

  24. #48
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    cooldevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    3,047
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uiv View Post
    Please go through my post, #26 and #28, and be amazed. Up until 1995, Honda only recommended using motor oil in their manual transmission. So if any one IS stupid here, that has to be Honda folks

    They didn't say this or that motor oil, so you can rule the monopoly thing out.


    When manufactures recommend some oil or some other thing, they suggest the type, limit, etc- usually by saing use OEM, XYZ type or equivalent. Go through any Honda owner manual, and see recommendations for ATF, brake fluid etc.
    But for manual transmission they've been insisting to use only Honda or an engine oil if Honda is not available. Even for temporary use they advised to go for motor oil instead of an MTF. They're being so specific, so you can assume that any other MTF is not suitable for your Honda.
    so should i buy original honda MTF? how many liters?

  25. #49
    PakWheeler Follow
    hassaaniqbal92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    24
    Posts
    870
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooldevil View Post
    so should i buy original honda MTF? how many liters?
    Honda mtf is perhaps the best option. 2 litres would do

  26. #50
    uiv
    uiv is offline
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    uiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    1,683
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    BTW, I haven't done or rebuilt any Honda transmission myself- or any transmission for that matter- but I've had some Honda transmission disassembled, repaired and rebuilt.

    Now the point being: synchros on pretty much all old Honda transmissions- H,D,F,B- are yellow, i.e. look like they're made of uncoated brass. This could very well be the reason to avoid ordinary MTF, coz most of them contain Sulphur compounds as EP additives, and we know sulphur attacks copper alloys.

    Can anyone confirm or reject it, peacefully and gracefully?

  27. 21-01-2015, 09:06 PM

    Senior PakWheeler

    Reason
    not needed and were reported

  28. 21-01-2015, 10:59 PM

    Senior PakWheeler

    Reason
    not needed and were reported

  29. #51
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    syncview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,364
    Follows
    7
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uiv View Post
    BTW, I haven't done or rebuilt any Honda transmission myself- or any transmission for that matter- but I've had some Honda transmission disassembled, repaired and rebuilt.

    Now the point being: synchros on pretty much all old Honda transmissions- H,D,F,B- are yellow, i.e. look like they're made of uncoated brass. This could very well be the reason to avoid ordinary MTF, coz most of them contain Sulphur compounds as EP additives, and we know sulphur attacks copper alloys.

    Can anyone confirm or reject it, peacefully and gracefully?
    yes
    sulfur content ep additives corrode brass under high temperatures

    so as we can see
    Honda knows what you should use in their manual transmissions.

    and to the guys who are denying what the manual states.. what do you think about some manual transmissions that use ATF?
    https://www.facebook.com/OsamaAbbasPhotography

  30. #52
    uiv
    uiv is offline
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    uiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    1,683
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by syncview View Post
    yes
    sulfur content ep additives corrode brass under high temperatures
    so as we can see
    Honda knows what you should use in their manual transmissions.
    and to the guys who are denying what the manual states.. what do you think about some manual transmissions that use ATF?
    We'll tell Mercedes and BMW to stop this nonsense, go for ZIC FF, and stop using ATF in some of their manual boxes

    IIRC, Daewoo Racer in Pakistan takes ATF in manual transmission.

  31. #53
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    syncview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,364
    Follows
    7
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    yep :d because they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about

    never worked on a daewoo racer so no idea. it has a killer ac btw
    https://www.facebook.com/OsamaAbbasPhotography

  32. #54
    uiv
    uiv is offline
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    uiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    1,683
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    There's a simple moral of the story: keep it simple, follow the manual.


    There's a reason why they give you a owner's manual with your car; no one can guide you better about that car, than the people who made it. Honda had been telling their customers to put motor oil in manual trans. for over a decade, so it's highly unlikely that it were a printing mistake.

    If your second hand car shouldn't come with one, download and recite its manual right away, it'd save you from a lot of trouble.

  33. #55
    PakWheeler Follow
    adi_isb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    46
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    I am planning to change my civic exi gear oil over the weekend... It takes 1.5 litres of honda MTF. If anybody is willing to share the cost with me, we can purchase 3 litres instead of 4... I am based in ISB. If anybody else in islamabad is planning to purchase honda mtf and needs 1.5 litres, let me know.

  34. #56
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,402
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by syncview View Post
    so what you're saying is that Honda doesn't know that 'gear oils' gl-4/5 are better for their manual transmissions as compared to engine oils they recommend?
    Honda are paagal LOL. (according to lube shop owners in Pakistan)

    I have seen caltex rpm delo 400 and 500 (silver n gold) being used in gear type hydraulic pumps, tractor threshers, diesel engines, petrol engines, suction pumps, massage oil at truck adda (lol)

    I have used the delo gold and silver in all manual shift honda transmissions - infact the difference between shifting with the mollases glue SAE 280 GL3 lube and this thinly flowing diesel engine lube was so vivid that the customers thought I had rebuilt the gearbox.

    The reason to use this oil specifically was its foaming resistance and high pressure additives and that it met the specifications that Honda wrote in their service manuals Never had issues with that.

    Sadly in Pakistan such lube businesses are run by "karyana shop"owners who treat everything as "maal" and will conjure up any story to sell their product - whether its applicable or not.

    I had a customer who had a best freind selling oils - he gave him 2 gallons of ATF, customer asked me to use that "super duper ATF" in his corolla

    the containers had a picture of an automatic shifter on it, below the picture was written

    SAE 140
    GL3

    I told the customer its not ATF, it was a sort of "honor saving" situation for him - but in the end he went and returned the bottles and got proper ATF for the job (some ENOC brand)
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  35. #57
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,402
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uiv View Post
    We'll tell Mercedes and BMW to stop this nonsense, go for ZIC FF, and stop using ATF in some of their manual boxes

    IIRC, Daewoo Racer in Pakistan takes ATF in manual transmission.
    MB and BMW are nuts - They should be shot, bhala danda gheyr mein aatometick haail kaise chalay ga.

    on the same note - line up Land Rover too - their later manual shift boxes also use ATF (off with their heads)

    btw - devoo racer fill was a mix of ATF and GM synchromesh additive - a fantastic additive that makes the gears glide into action - that additive was sold at the deawoo dealers.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  36. #58
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,402
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by syncview View Post
    yep :d because they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about

    never worked on a daewoo racer so no idea. it has a killer ac btw


    and somehow that CCOT system is fail in Pakistan.. That harrison compressor is really Heavy duty.

    BUT NO

    feil teknalojee hai - average scarecrow AC tech in Pakistan who has never seen a CCOT system in his life would scratch his head on how the damn thing works, and going further would completely jack up the quick couplers at the accumulator instead of buying the correct compression tool.

    I have also seen one who did not understand there is an orifice tube trapped in the liquid line and that it needed to be changed when it gets plugged

    replacement tube comes with nuts and requires the AC tech to cut the original line and flare it to accept the replacement compression nuts. The original factory orifice tube was trapped between two pinched ears in the liquid line.

    NOPES - too much techy for them - install made in china TXV in the most ghaslty manner and then blame the design.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •