Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Civic Reborn ATF change Help Required

Dear All,
    I would be grateful if you can give me advice/suggestions on the following problem
    I have a 2010 civic reborn with a mileage of 100k, the car has been regularly maintained from Honda with all the fluids changed on time. With its age my car has developed one very annoying little problem, it vibrates on light throttle between the speed of 20-40, the amount of vibration varies randomly. I had the car checked at Honda City Sales and they diagnosed it to be a fault with the transmission and recommended a transmission overhaul. I had the ATF changed 15,000 kms ago but I changed it again and the problem was solved for a few weeks.
    After about 2 weeks, the same problem has re emerged, although the amount of vibration has decreased but it is still there and can be felt.
    I discussed the problem with another Honda technician and also read the blogs of 8th gen civic. Apparently this problem is fairly common in this model and the problem occurs when solenoids are clogged and are not able to distribute the ATF evenly at low throttle.
    According to the forum and the 2nd Honda technician the problem can be resolved by changing the transmission oil 3-4 times after short intervals which would effectively clean the transmission. Honda does not recommend a transmission flush so the frequent oil changes would effectively clean it.

To perform this procedure I need clarifications:
    1) Which ATF should I use? I have heard that AMSOIL ATF is better but the problem is my car currently has Honda ATF in it and as I cannot flush the previous ATF, so in order to use AMSOIL I would effectively be mixing it with the Honda ATF in the transmission, will that be safe for my transmission?
    2) I also read somewhere Honda has a transmission filter and changing ATF without the filter can be useless, therefore should I change the filter, as Honda terms it as a non replaceable part. If I should change the filter can anyone please recommend a workshop where it can be done and from where can the filter be bought?
    3) The last but the most important, by doing ether or both of the above can be problem be solved?

I know it is very long query but I wanted to describe the situation as best as I could, I would be grateful for inputs in this matter.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

throttle pedal position?

about slightly less than half?
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    throttle pedal position?

about slightly less than half?
    @Xulfiqar

As I said that I am not aggressive driver and yes the paddle position is less then half.
    Engineer + Car's Passion = Enthusiastic Personality.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Every driver is different, what you call calm driving maybe too aggressive for others. Thats why I asked throttle position as in oldschool hydraulic shift Honda that decides the shift point.

all in all - the gearbox sounds to be shifting at correct timing.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Every driver is different, what you call calm driving maybe too aggressive for others. Thats why I asked throttle position as in oldschool hydraulic shift Honda that decides the shift point.

all in all - the gearbox sounds to be shifting at correct timing.
    @Xulfiqar

okay, its great to hear gearbox is working fine as it should. Thanks for your help so far. You are so nice person to help others.

As you said "hydraulic shift Honda that decides the shift point" - it means if I press the gas paddle more then half then all shifting point would be occurred at different rpm's and at different speed's then when gas paddle is less then half?

But why there is little jerk when gear shifting is done?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by galant1 View Post
    @Xulfiqar

okay, its great to hear gearbox is working fine as it should. Thanks for your help so far. You are so nice person to help others.

jerk as in - hard bruce lee kick to the car?

jerk as in - shift nudge (thats honda automatic behaviour - it never can shift smooth as a General Motors, ZF, Mercedes-Benz or even Toyota)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

jerk as in - hard bruce lee kick to the car?

jerk as in - shift nudge (thats honda automatic behaviour - it never can shift smooth as a General Motors, ZF, Mercedes-Benz or even Toyota)
    @Xulfiqar

No hard bruce lee kick to the car as such.

Just very little jerk that identify the gear shifting to higher gears- Why is it so?

As you said "hydraulic shift Honda that decides the shift point" - it means if I press the gas paddle more then half then all shifting points would be occurred at different rpm's and at different speed's as compared to when gas paddle is less then half?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar

Just very little jerk that identify the gear shifting to higher gears- Why is it so?

As you said "hydraulic shift Honda that decides the shift point" - it means if I press the gas paddle more then half then all shifting points would be occurred at different rpm's and at different speed's as compared to when gas paddle is less then half?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar

As you said "hydraulic shift Honda that decides the shift point" - it means if I press the gas paddle more then half then all shifting point would be occurred at different rpm's and at different speed's then when gas paddle is less then half?

Honda Prismatic gear are not designed for comfort they are designed for power and economy

However toyota super ect gears and cvt are designed for smoothness and economy

Thus honda shift gears roughly while toyota smoothly

Thus when you press accelerator honda shift gear quikly than corolla and whith power

This feels good for some time but in routein and long route driving you feel uncomfortable

One more thing that make honda drive rugh is drive by wire because you have to do effort to keep your foot still for smooth cruising.

While corolla sensors ignore slight foot movements

You can only understand that if you drove booth cars on highway aswell as in city

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar

Honda automatic transmission design is silly and crude in my opinion - it will always shift with a nudge rather than a surge of power like any other sensible gearbox should (e.g. GM, Aisin or MB automatics)

The throttle cable position on your transmission decides the shift points e.g. if you press the accelerator 100% each shift will occur at rpm redline and will be really powerful shifts (you will feel the car being tugged into gear) - the throttle cable lever is what tells the transmission that the driver is wanting full engine power.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by KhurrumIftikhar1 View Post
    Honda Prismatic gear are not designed for comfort they are designed for power and economy

However toyota super ect gears and cvt are designed for smoothness and economy

Thus honda shift gears roughly while toyota smoothly

Thus when you press accelerator honda shift gear quikly than corolla and whith power

This feels good for some time but in routein and long route driving you feel uncomfortable

One more thing that make honda drive rugh is drive by wire because you have to do effort to keep your foot still for smooth cruising.

While corolla sensors ignore slight foot movements

You can only understand that if you drove booth cars on highway aswell as in city

there are a ton of more manufacturers than the two you mention - the world does not start and end with toita and 'ondaa.

this fellows car is not drive by wire - its oldschool cable throttle with a similar cable going to the full hydraulic shift transmission.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

xulfiqar bahi i have a question. Since i am new here and don't know how to open a new thread. My 2009 civic auto 1.8 vtech gear gives shift shock some times in accelerating usually in traffic rush while car is slow in traffic jam and u have to juggle in between accelerator and break. I changed transmission oil spark plugs.all mounts are in ok condition. But car gives a jolt some times and car try to take off like a 125 bike.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

where was that written,

I said to use ATF DW1 and change out all the 6 or 7 litres of ATF in the gearbox.
    @Xulfiqar bhai, which version should be used for honda civic 7th generation prosmatec transmission. d16w9 engine code. z1 or dw1?

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Never ever try to use ATF other than Honda. Your car is new so don't experiment with it. Honda ATF is the best oil for your car. Yes I do agree with your idea to change ATF 2 to 3 times with short intervals as changing the ATF once, the entire old oil is not drained. With short intervals, changing ATF you can be able to replace all the old oil with new one. I have read somewhere that the total quantity of ATF in Honda civic is almost 5 liters or maybe more. So when you drain ATF, you could only succeed to drain 3 liter old oil and remaining 2 or 3 liters remains inside the transmission system. In Europe they recommend to change the transmission oil with power system which pushes the old oil from deep inside transmission system and hence all the old ATF is removed thoroughly. But here in Pakistan we do not have this machine. So better change ATF 2 to 3 times with short intervals of 500 KM or maybe less. All the best.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

buy 7 liters and change out all the ATF from the cooler line, the new civic uses dw1 as it provides extreme slushy shifts (its programmed to use it) Z-1 has a bit more "friction" meaning it catches faster than DW1.

The 2.4 or 3 litres that you remove from the drain bolt is the residual in in the case, the other half of it is stuck in the torque converter and accumulator pistons. Cooler line pumping removes all nearly all ATF
    dw1 or z1 for 7th gen exi prosmatec transmission?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have civic 2002 vti auto.I changed its gear box on 230000km and put the JDM gear.I put DW1 ATF it it and its working nicely.Agood pickup and no issue.I speed up it till 140km on motorway.No issue.Transmission is working fine.I used Caltex 10-40 synthetic oil.No issue with engine.So change DW1 ATF.Its good and both are mixable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

User Tag List