Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 224
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Civic 95 engine swap

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    Maverickiz3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    32
    Posts
    560
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Civic 95 engine swap

    Dear members.

    So I have a weak stock carby D15 installed in my car, and after the gasket is gone 2nd time, the mechanic has proposed that I change the engine. As for the mechanic, he is considered quite reliable in the market.

    Now since the engine needs to be changed, I am thinking to jump to D15b dual vtec. I talked to the mechanic's engine guy in shershah, and he says engine with wiring and ecu for 70k.

    Considering your experiences, please guide me if thats a worthy option, and/or give suitable suggestions. Will it increase the resale value of the car, or devalue it? From what I think, the value will be increased of the car, but to those who know the potential of the dual vtec (correct me if im wrong).

    The guy also gave below options.

    1. D15b non vtec for 55k
    2. some efi engine (probably d15b non vtec) which will be combined with current carburetor in some way (if I head him correctly). Dont exactly recall the price for this option.

    Looking forward for expected assistance. Also let me know if maintenance costs will increase with vtec.

    Regards.


  2. #41
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,405
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Civic 95 engine swap -1552448


    I have never seen such deposits in the cooling system! - were you using mud as coolant or gasket made out of paper?


    btw - your mechanic should think of another way to earn money - surely working on engines is not his domain. It looks like he did not even bother to clean the engine casings before unbolting the head - there is dirt and grime everywhere which now can easily get into the engine.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  3. #42
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,405
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    the genuine gasket is multi layer steel, how do you get steel to shed this? Before condemning any engine its best to first check if its actually bad - a basic compression test and oil pressure test can tell a lot.

    did your mechanic hear piston slap too or he just wiggled the pistons and said - farigh hai - doosra engine lao aur 10,000 rupay mazdoori bhi
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  4. #43
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    dr3vil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    11,929
    Follows
    11
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickiz3d View Post
    You say the Honda engines are not overhauled well even by Honda. What makes you say this? Because this is similar to what the mechanic is saying, but contrary to what some members are suggesting.
    brother i agree with above statements as main thing is the meachincs do repair honda engines but than they lack umph
    just one civic my cuz had a white EG and when bought it gave blue smoke and same water consumption of radiator
    but body was spotless in original color so not a complete bad deal
    he went for over haul rings pistons and new head new clutch plate spent 60k on it
    car was doing good just for a month but It lacked power and i mean big time
    i driven carb egs and if engine is good then u know it is still a fast car compared to many new cars now a days
    and after 2 months again blue smoke etc
    long story short he ended up changing the engine besides spending 60k on stock engine
    so brother just go for a swap that is better in long run
    but with swap do clean ur rad put thermostate use coolant and auto fan
    that is what you should do just don't rebuild that thing no matter how much any one forces u
    Hanjiii Kaa Storeey Eehh !

  5. #44
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Proverbial_Slang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    3,906
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    I have seen such deposits in a Chery engine which never saw the face of coolant ever. The leakages were left untreated and water was refilled every few Kms. The Radiator had solid gunk in it!

    The head gaskets used by mechanics are usually "desi" supposedly made with "silicone". Originals seldom reach an engine.

    Then again, who am I telling all this? @Xulfiqar
    Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.

  6. #45
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,405
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ekdrifter View Post
    brother i agree with above statements as main thing is the meachincs do repair honda engines but than they lack umph
    just one civic my cuz had a white EG and when bought it gave blue smoke and same water consumption of radiator
    but body was spotless in original color so not a complete bad deal
    he went for over haul rings pistons and new head new clutch plate spent 60k on it
    car was doing good just for a month but It lacked power and i mean big time
    i driven carb egs and if engine is good then u know it is still a fast car compared to many new cars now a days
    and after 2 months again blue smoke etc
    long story short he ended up changing the engine besides spending 60k on stock engine
    so brother just go for a swap that is better in long run
    but with swap do clean ur rad put thermostate use coolant and auto fan
    that is what you should do just don't rebuild that thing no matter how much any one forces u

    seems like you are basing experiences out of thin air - obviously the person rebuilding your freinds engine is not upto his job, if it was the usual made in china tools and "haath ka andaaza" torque ratchet with dirty bolts and sloppy technique with improper measurements using tools like broken pieces of wood, used wheel spokes are measurement instruments then all I can do is blame the owner of the car for allowing such a mechanic to work on it.

    I have even seen Pakistani mechanics hammer valve seals into these japanese heads (I have no idea where they got this idea from as they just push in and lock with a small socket and extension with very little force)
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  7. #46
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    dr3vil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    11,929
    Follows
    11
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    seems like you are basing experiences out of thin air - obviously the person rebuilding your freinds engine is not upto his job, if it was the usual made in china tools and "haath ka andaaza" torque ratchet with dirty bolts and sloppy technique with improper measurements using tools like broken pieces of wood, used wheel spokes are measurement instruments then all I can do is blame the owner of the car for allowing such a mechanic to work on it.

    I have even seen Pakistani mechanics hammer valve seals into these japanese heads (I have no idea where they got this idea from as they just push in and lock with a small socket and extension with very little force)
    well itis not bashing thin air experience but im telling the OP that no matter how much some one calls himself biggest USTAD
    they all have the same NANI! some are less sloppy and some are just dharti ka bhoj who wants money in owners pocket !
    yeah and that pieces of wood and spokes that is the truth
    and sir ur in USA and we Get local guys who have 0 concern for others time and money
    so living in Pakistan best option for op is to not spend money on them guys and get a swap done.
    and i seen that hammering thing i think they follow clarkson "Fix it with a hammer"
    Hanjiii Kaa Storeey Eehh !

  8. #47
    PakWheeler Follow
    Maverickiz3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    32
    Posts
    560
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    Civic 95 engine swap -1552448

    I have never seen such deposits in the cooling system! - were you using mud as coolant or gasket made out of paper?

    btw - your mechanic should think of another way to earn money - surely working on engines is not his domain. It looks like he did not even bother to clean the engine casings before unbolting the head - there is dirt and grime everywhere which now can easily get into the engine.
    haha no my friend, no mud was used in the process. Like I said, those are the remains of the gasket. The gasket after being installed and heated gets glued to the body, and when it was taken off, it didnt come off like 'peeling off a screen protector'. The parts of the gasket that were strongly stuck to the body stayed there, and can therefore be seen in the picture. No cleaning was done when i took the picture.

    Also, just to reconfirm, this picture is from the time the gasket failed previously (3 months back), not currently. Currently the head hasnt been opened yet.

  9. #48
    PakWheeler Follow
    Maverickiz3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    32
    Posts
    560
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    the genuine gasket is multi layer steel, how do you get steel to shed this? Before condemning any engine its best to first check if its actually bad - a basic compression test and oil pressure test can tell a lot.

    did your mechanic hear piston slap too or he just wiggled the pistons and said - farigh hai - doosra engine lao aur 10,000 rupay mazdoori bhi
    yes its steel, but whats that dotted layer covering the gaskets? Is that steel as well? If yes, then the deposits you see are the outer most layer of the gasket stuck to the block. Correct me if im wrong.

    Again, the mechanic who opened the head is the previous one, who checked play in the pistons and suggested overhauling. I dont know if he heard piston slap, which i dont know what it is. Guidance is welcome. The current mechanic hasnt seen inside the head. According to him (current mechanic) he has worked on these engines, and therefore suggested not to overhaul but change engine since problems are bound to happen again sooner or later.


    Quote Originally Posted by ekdrifter View Post
    brother i agree with above statements as main thing is the meachincs do repair honda engines but than they lack umph
    just one civic my cuz had a white EG and when bought it gave blue smoke and same water consumption of radiator
    but body was spotless in original color so not a complete bad deal
    he went for over haul rings pistons and new head new clutch plate spent 60k on it
    car was doing good just for a month but It lacked power and i mean big time
    i driven carb egs and if engine is good then u know it is still a fast car compared to many new cars now a days
    and after 2 months again blue smoke etc
    long story short he ended up changing the engine besides spending 60k on stock engine
    so brother just go for a swap that is better in long run
    but with swap do clean ur rad put thermostate use coolant and auto fan
    that is what you should do just don't rebuild that thing no matter how much any one forces u
    thats unfortunate, and this is what im also worried about since current mechanic is also suggesting engine swap. Hence the reason of me posting here to get experienced and professional suggestions/guidance.

  10. #49
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,405
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickiz3d View Post
    yes its steel, but whats that dotted layer covering the gaskets? Is that steel as well? If yes, then the deposits you see are the outer most layer of the gasket stuck to the block. Correct me if im wrong.

    Again, the mechanic who opened the head is the previous one, who checked play in the pistons and suggested overhauling. I dont know if he heard piston slap, which i dont know what it is. Guidance is welcome. The current mechanic hasnt seen inside the head. According to him (current mechanic) he has worked on these engines, and therefore suggested not to overhaul but change engine since problems are bound to happen again sooner or later.




    thats unfortunate, and this is what im also worried about since current mechanic is also suggesting engine swap. Hence the reason of me posting here to get experienced and professional suggestions/guidance.

    the original steel gasket can never shed such deposits - dont use paper gasket in this engine it wont work.

    So lets get something straight first - your mechanic says that repairing these engines are futile effort because problems will happen sooner or later - does he actually repair these engines or does he advise every single customer to buy a new engine anytime their engine requires a timing belt, water pump, oil pan sealing or tappet adjustment?

    im not saying that your engine is perfect, because I have not seen it in person. It needs a good explanation that its actually bad rather than chucking it out on whims of someone.

    btw - did you replace the headgasket with a genuine steel item or used the paper item again? - were the bolts good? was the head and block checked for warpage?
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  11. #50
    PakWheeler Follow
    Maverickiz3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    32
    Posts
    560
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    the original steel gasket can never shed such deposits - dont use paper gasket in this engine it wont work.

    So lets get something straight first - your mechanic says that repairing these engines are futile effort because problems will happen sooner or later - does he actually repair these engines or does he advise every single customer to buy a new engine anytime their engine requires a timing belt, water pump, oil pan sealing or tappet adjustment?

    im not saying that your engine is perfect, because I have not seen it in person. It needs a good explanation that its actually bad rather than chucking it out on whims of someone.

    btw - did you replace the headgasket with a genuine steel item or used the paper item again? - were the bolts good? was the head and block checked for warpage?

    I am not sure which one it was. I just got it from the shop when it was changed last time. I do remember it was the "mota wala" because thats what the mechanic ordered.

    Yes, he does repair engines, which is why I went to him for overhauling after few people referred me to him including my dad. However, for my car he didnt recommend the overhauling. And no I am sure he doesnt advise that to all customers

    Maybe the engine is not that bad and repairable, but he is advising not to have it overhauled to avoid problems again. Maybe his years of experience is suggesting that; different mechanics, different experiences! Being a layman, we sometimes have to trust on the mechanic's judgements.

    No idea if the gasket was genuine or not. Costed around 400 if i remember correctly. The price could be the judge of it. No idea about bolts since I left the car with the mechanic and had to go to work. Had it been a Sunday, I would have been there for hours because i have the habit to get into details of what work is being done, why, and outcomes. Again, no idea whether warpage was checked.

    What im thinking, is to take the car on Monday to him (he is not free any time earlier; already had 5 cars inside his workshop), and ask him to first to check out the engine by opening/testing. Then I may have a better picture.

    Also, lets say the engine does have to be changed after all, what happens to my current engine? How much do you reckon it will go for?

    Thanks.

  12. #51
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    saboor73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    10,553
    Follows
    25
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    6
    Best Answers
    2
    Good Answers
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickiz3d View Post
    I am not sure which one it was. I just got it from the shop when it was changed last time. I do remember it was the "mota wala" because thats what the mechanic ordered.
    this part explain everything like I said your mechanic would have used thicked gasket so thick mean mota right but after it failure he advice to change the engine he right at this point because when head is uneven it need to face but your can't face it again and again so now your mechanic have decided to change the engine

  13. #52
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    hornblower's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,746
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickiz3d View Post
    I am not sure which one it was. I just got it from the shop when it was changed last time. I do remember it was the "mota wala" because thats what the mechanic ordered.

    Yes, he does repair engines, which is why I went to him for overhauling after few people referred me to him including my dad. However, for my car he didnt recommend the overhauling. And no I am sure he doesnt advise that to all customers

    Maybe the engine is not that bad and repairable, but he is advising not to have it overhauled to avoid problems again. Maybe his years of experience is suggesting that; different mechanics, different experiences! Being a layman, we sometimes have to trust on the mechanic's judgements.

    No idea if the gasket was genuine or not. Costed around 400 if i remember correctly. The price could be the judge of it. No idea about bolts since I left the car with the mechanic and had to go to work. Had it been a Sunday, I would have been there for hours because i have the habit to get into details of what work is being done, why, and outcomes. Again, no idea whether warpage was checked.

    What im thinking, is to take the car on Monday to him (he is not free any time earlier; already had 5 cars inside his workshop), and ask him to first to check out the engine by opening/testing. Then I may have a better picture.

    Also, lets say the engine does have to be changed after all, what happens to my current engine? How much do you reckon it will go for?

    Thanks.
    By no means oem steel gasket for this block is of 400 rupees..... Next time buy original one whatever u go for either overhaul or swap .... Oem is i think around 2800 rupees not sure though

  14. #53
    PakWheeler Follow
    Maverickiz3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    32
    Posts
    560
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saboor73 View Post
    this part explain everything like I said your mechanic would have used thicked gasket so thick mean mota right but after it failure he advice to change the engine he right at this point because when head is uneven it need to face but your can't face it again and again so now your mechanic have decided to change the engine
    It could be the gasket that became faulty quicker.

    However, again, the current mechanic has no idea of the condition of the block; he is suggesting engine change based on his experience that these engines shouldnt be overhauled.

    The old mechanic who changed the gasket and knows the condition of the block is suggesting to overhaul.

  15. #54
    PakWheeler Follow
    Maverickiz3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    32
    Posts
    560
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    If I am to consider changing the engine, considering the block is not in good condition and may create problems again, which option to go for?

    1. Swap to same model carb engine; CNG can also be used. Total costs expected around 45k to 50k.
    2. Swap to efi engine but with carb manifold; CNG can also be used. Total costs expected around 45k to 50k.
    3. Swap to vtec and change everything that has to be changed. To be driven on Petrol only. Total costs expected around 90k.

    One can clearly say go for cheaper options, but is going to vtec a worthy option if one is to spend around 90k?

    Things to consider:
    - I plan to keep the car for 1-2 more years.
    - My current running is approx 300 - 350km per month.
    - Want trouble free car, at least with respect to the engine, for the time I plan to keep the car.
    - Want decent fuel consumption of petrol no matter what option I go with. Current is 6km/Ltr, and expecting at least 10km/Ltr.

  16. #55
    PakWheeler Follow
    Maverickiz3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    32
    Posts
    560
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hornblower View Post
    By no means oem steel gasket for this block is of 400 rupees..... Next time buy original one whatever u go for either overhaul or swap .... Oem is i think around 2800 rupees not sure though
    Thanks for the advise. Original might not be available everywhere, so I guess Nasir Autos is the only option at Plaza?

  17. #56
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    hornblower's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,746
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickiz3d View Post
    Thanks for the advise. Original might not be available everywhere, so I guess Nasir Autos is the only option at Plaza?
    Yup u can get i frm there , although i dont like the attitude of molvi sitting at counter

  18. #57
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    hornblower's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,746
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickiz3d View Post
    If I am to consider changing the engine, considering the block is not in good condition and may create problems again, which option to go for?

    1. Swap to same model carb engine; CNG can also be used. Total costs expected around 45k to 50k.
    2. Swap to efi engine but with carb manifold; CNG can also be used. Total costs expected around 45k to 50k.
    3. Swap to vtec and change everything that has to be changed. To be driven on Petrol only. Total costs expected around 90k.

    One can clearly say go for cheaper options, but is going to vtec a worthy option if one is to spend around 90k?

    Things to consider:
    - I plan to keep the car for 1-2 more years.
    - My current running is approx 300 - 350km per month.
    - Want trouble free car, at least with respect to the engine, for the time I plan to keep the car.
    - Want decent fuel consumption of petrol no matter what option I go with. Current is 6km/Ltr, and expecting at least 10km/Ltr.
    U can use cng on vtec engine too bro . of course mileage will be impoved. Who told u vtec swap will cost 90k???

  19. #58
    PakWheeler Follow
    Maverickiz3d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    32
    Posts
    560
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hornblower View Post
    U can use cng on vtec engine too bro . of course mileage will be impoved. Who told u vtec swap will cost 90k???
    I assume you want me to consider option # 3.

    CNG on vtec would mean also getting CNG kit for EFI....no? Add that to the expense.

    As for the 90k, this is my estimate. Advise changes/corrections.

    1. Engine (with wiring & ecu).............70k (quoted by engine guy in Shershah: Mr. Shehzad. Might reduce a couple of 1000s)
    2. Swap labor.................................. 8k
    3. Wiring labor not sure by maybe...... 8k(?)
    4. Fuel tank or fuel pump only............ ?
    5. Radiator ..................................... ?
    6. Oil, coolant, etc ........................... 5k

    Total is around 91k without adding costs of fuel tank/pump and radiator.

    Any suggestions?

  20. #59
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,405
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickiz3d View Post
    I am not sure which one it was. I just got it from the shop when it was changed last time. I do remember it was the "mota wala" because thats what the mechanic ordered.

    Yes, he does repair engines, which is why I went to him for overhauling after few people referred me to him including my dad. However, for my car he didnt recommend the overhauling. And no I am sure he doesnt advise that to all customers

    Maybe the engine is not that bad and repairable, but he is advising not to have it overhauled to avoid problems again. Maybe his years of experience is suggesting that; different mechanics, different experiences! Being a layman, we sometimes have to trust on the mechanic's judgements.

    No idea if the gasket was genuine or not. Costed around 400 if i remember correctly. The price could be the judge of it. No idea about bolts since I left the car with the mechanic and had to go to work. Had it been a Sunday, I would have been there for hours because i have the habit to get into details of what work is being done, why, and outcomes. Again, no idea whether warpage was checked.

    What im thinking, is to take the car on Monday to him (he is not free any time earlier; already had 5 cars inside his workshop), and ask him to first to check out the engine by opening/testing. Then I may have a better picture.

    Also, lets say the engine does have to be changed after all, what happens to my current engine? How much do you reckon it will go for?

    Thanks.

    there is no mota or patla gasket - the so called mota gasket are the hand made replacement ones made from compressed paper material, the original steel gasket was never rs 400/- it was more close to Rs 4500/- for an OE part and about Rs 3000/- for a replacement OEM part like Stone DNJ, Cherry etc.

    the reason for Honda to use a steel gasket was that it transfers heat efficiently between the assemblies and because both head and block are the same material the gasket remains in place, dissimilar engines require a softer paper gasket as the head and block expand and contract at different rates.

    What ever you choose you to, make one thing sure, the technician or mechanic whatever you wish to call him, should follow correct procedure and work practice, not stupid whims from himself like "mota gasket leyaao" etc. These stupid whims and silly shortcuts are only done by them to ensure that you visit them every month.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  21. #60
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Proverbial_Slang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    3,906
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    The head needs to be tightened in a certain order of bolts and needs to be tightened as per factory torque with a torque wrench.

    Sent using Curiosity's onboard communications sytem.
    Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •