1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Left Pulling Problem 7th Gen Civic

I own a 2006 late model exi. Bought it brand new in 2006. It came with 185/65/14 generals from factory. When my odo hit 80k 3 years back my brother swapped the oem simple rims for 15inch SH rims with Dunlop702 205/65/15. I noticed it gave me a little left pull when ever I accelerated it. I went to Honda north dealership Peshawar, they made immense efforts to resolve the issue but I gave up on it for the reason my car was good as new and I didn't want them to mess with it. Since it wasn't that significant until this year when the left pull grew so immense that on motorway if I let the wheel go the car would switch lanes immediately, I started off by checking the front and rear chamber adjustments, wheel alignments, changing the chimta bushes, checking the ball joints and everything but in vane. I then rotated the right tire with the left tire on the back of my ride the problem was significantly improved but not catered completely. The mechanics from all around peshawar told me it was the tires but It wasn't making sense. I swapped all 4 wheels with identical 15's from my friends car which had different rubber with 195/65/15 Yokohama and the car got is straight as an arrow.
    For civic users I strictly recommend not to put this Dunlop702 Sp Sport on your car.
    But I still don't understand why car would pull in one tire and not on the other. My tires were directional and we're installed as per the requirements. Experts are requested to shed light upon why it pulled to the left with that rubber and not with this one.
    <<!!.... I am The Prod.. cArs Are My Cattle.... !!>>

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sounds like bad rims..
    RIP

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If rims were bad then wouldn't wheel balance detect them?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    Sounds like bad rims..
    As I said I swapped those rims with one's from a 2007 city idsi. And that car shows no signs of such an issue. My question is why do Dunlop 702 sp sport 205/65/15 had this pulling problem and not these tires. My tires were new codated 12, 3 years back.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by shabantarif View Post
    I own a 2006 late model exi. Bought it brand new in 2006. It came with 185/65/14 generals from factory. When my odo hit 80k 3 years back my brother swapped the oem simple rims for 15inch SH rims with Dunlop702 205/65/15. I noticed it gave me a little left pull when ever I accelerated it. I went to Honda north dealership Peshawar, they made immense efforts to resolve the issue but I gave up on it for the reason my car was good as new and I didn't want them to mess with it. Since it wasn't that significant until this year when the left pull grew so immense that on motorway if I let the wheel go the car would switch lanes immediately, I started off by checking the front and rear chamber adjustments, wheel alignments, changing the chimta bushes, checking the ball joints and everything but in vane. I then rotated the right tire with the left tire on the back of my ride the problem was significantly improved but not catered completely. The mechanics from all around peshawar told me it was the tires but It wasn't making sense. I swapped all 4 wheels with identical 15's from my friends car which had different rubber with 195/65/15 Yokohama and the car got is straight as an arrow.
    For civic users I strictly recommend not to put this Dunlop702 Sp Sport on your car.
    But I still don't understand why car would pull in one tire and not on the other. My tires were directional and we're installed as per the requirements. Experts are requested to shed light upon why it pulled to the left with that rubber and not with this one.
    I wonder y ever 2nd or 3rd car in peshawar is with 702 sp sport. Every tire dealer ll try to sell u either these or leemans. y?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    My dear ALLAH when I loose hope, help me to remember that Your love is greater than my disappointment and Your plans for my life are better than my Dreams.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I was out of station when my brother got this rubber and rims. And ever since it has been a pain in the ***. I have shown it to a dozen alignment walas and every body asked me to change tires. That is pointless. Every time is identical and new. Still it pulls left. I don't get it. What is wrong with This specific variant.?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

wider tires will make the car wander slightly, can you get your alignment person to dial in some inwards toe?
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yeah I might be able to do that but again I would loose my factory settings. That again would be a jugaar and I wouldn't want to do that to my car. He did move the left wheel slightly into the wheel arch and pull the right one out slightly, I don't know what adjustment does that but he said that would cater the problem to some extent. It did but it wasn't fully resolved. Now that I have my friends Yokohama and his rims on my car, the issue is resolved, and my wheels are on his 2007 city. And that too is perfectly fine. They acted funny in my civic. I always wondered what you said that the tires were 205 as factory recommends 185 but was that just it? I mean I still have 195's on. And it's straight as an arrow. No left pull nothing. Was Dunlop the culprit?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yeah I might be able to do that but again I would loose my factory settings. That again would be a jugaar and I wouldn't want to do that to my car. He did move the left wheel slightly into the wheel arch and pull the right one out slightly, I don't know what adjustment does that but he said that would cater the problem to some extent. It did but it wasn't fully resolved. Now that I have my friends Yokohama and his rims on my car, the issue is resolved, and my wheels are on his 2007 city. And that too is perfectly fine. They acted funny in my civic. I always wondered what you said that the tires were 205 as factory recommends 185 but was that just it? I mean I still have 195's on. And it's straight as an arrow. No left pull nothing. Was Dunlop the culprit?
    did he try to adjust the caster?

extra wide tires will make the car catch grooves in the roads and also induce torque steer in FWD cars.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Xulfi bhai not many mechanics in my town are experts in casters. As this vehicle is one hand driven since day one and I know that there has never been any work in the suspension of my car. I trusted the Honda mechanics with checking the caster, toe and camber of my car, yet they were unable to solve the issue except they gave me a reason which was hard for me to believe and it was that this model comes with an intrinsic issue of left pull if you put other wheels on the car other than oem. I guess I need to check the caster adjustment, your concern is catching my attention because some of my friends complained about my car that it had a hard steering as compared to other cars. It might be a possibility, that leaves me with one question. Who is the guy who would check the caster adjustment for me in Peshawar. I have exploited almost all my options.
    P.S
    My current tires which I borrowed from my friend are totally fine. The car is faultless. If the casters would have been out of alignment wouldn't it affect my cars with any tires and rims?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Which rims you installed for 702 tires? Are they Honda genuine or some other? I t may be due to the wheel offset? A honda rim will resolve the problem, I hope.

I had same problem with my exi with refurbished wheels. Your problem reminded me that i do not have the problem since i installed eagle eye's rims. The old 702s i git with these rims gave me huge vibrations and steering fluctuations. Installed new tires and problem solved.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I would also suggest to return 702 if possible as after its half life i will give you trouble.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

They have almost reached their half life and I was thinking about rotating the tires and now I realize that buying Dunlop 702 was the biggest mistake. Civic Users never buy this rubber or you would ruin your car. Go for Yokohama advan series instead. They are on my axio and I am more than satisfied with the advan dB than any other rubber in the market

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
    Which rims you installed for 702 tires? Are they Honda genuine or some other? I t may be due to the wheel offset? A honda rim will resolve the problem, I hope.

I had same problem with my exi with refurbished wheels. Your problem reminded me that i do not have the problem since i installed eagle eye's rims. The old 702s i git with these rims gave me huge vibrations and steering fluctuations. Installed new tires and problem solved.
    You are right they are not oem they are 15 inch wheels named HS or SH. Are alloy wheels indeed. I swapped them with other rims which are if the same brand size 15 and with a different rubber on them and the problem is resolved. It was the rubber as far as I can tell. Not the wheels

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You are right they are not oem they are 15 inch wheels named HS or SH. Are alloy wheels indeed. I swapped them with other rims which are if the same brand size 15 and with a different rubber on them and the problem is resolved. It was the rubber as far as I can tell. Not the wheels
    If you keep using these tires, your steering will soon start shaking...

I remember the feeling when i replaced the front tires... smoooooth ride...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

When I rotated a wheel the steering started shaking badly on the motorway. It was annoying as hell. You are spot on. But brother there is a mystery to this story. The tires are straight as an arrow with 2007 Honda City IDSI. Why?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

this model civic has an issue of squishy mounting of the steering rack and the tie rods rotating the upper part of the strut - its vital to have a genuine and good part in the strut mount too due to this.

Having a wider patch (wide tires) will kick the car as it moves in its working arc (remember there is an arm connected to the car) and may also pull left in RHD cars (in original setup the car will seem to track straight but it will drift to the left over a length of a km or so, this is due to the slight difference in caster between the wheels. It has been done so that if you fall asleep at the wheel your car will go left and off the road and crash alone, rather than drifting right and into oncoming traffic.

LHD cars drift to the right. They are aligned so. In old cars you could dial in zero difference. e.g. 6th gen civics had adjustable caster.

with wider wheels and moving the patch outwards your car will respond a bit nervous too, I can bet your steering is sensitive now - people in Pakistan mistake this for "tight grip" but its not, its a bad side effect which needs correction.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    this model civic has an issue of squishy mounting of the steering rack and the tie rods rotating the upper part of the strut - its vital to have a genuine and good part in the strut mount too due to this.

Having a wider patch (wide tires) will kick the car as it moves in its working arc (remember there is an arm connected to the car) and may also pull left in RHD cars (in original setup the car will seem to track straight but it will drift to the left over a length of a km or so, this is due to the slight difference in caster between the wheels. It has been done so that if you fall asleep at the wheel your car will go left and off the road and crash alone, rather than drifting right and into oncoming traffic.

LHD cars drift to the right. They are aligned so. In old cars you could dial in zero difference. e.g. 6th gen civics had adjustable caster.

with wider wheels and moving the patch outwards your car will respond a bit nervous too, I can bet your steering is sensitive now - people in Pakistan mistake this for "tight grip" but its not, its a bad side effect which needs correction.
    Is the caster controlled by lower arms? I am wondering if we swap these arms with used LHD ones... will it start to drift right?

So we should be careful to select wheels and tires fir this car?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
    Is the caster controlled by lower arms? I am wondering if we swap these arms with used LHD ones... will it start to drift right?

So we should be careful to select wheels and tires fir this car?
    the arms are the same, the slight difference is in the body of the car on how it mounts to it. The caster is set primarily by the arms and secondarily from the strut hats. there is only a minute or so difference between the left and right caster to induce that steer.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    the arms are the same, the slight difference is in the body of the car on how it mounts to it. The caster is set primarily by the arms and secondarily from the strut hats. there is only a minute or so difference between the left and right caster to induce that steer.
    for wheels n tires - you should be very careful with any car, not just this one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List