1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Left Pulling Problem 7th Gen Civic

I own a 2006 late model exi. Bought it brand new in 2006. It came with 185/65/14 generals from factory. When my odo hit 80k 3 years back my brother swapped the oem simple rims for 15inch SH rims with Dunlop702 205/65/15. I noticed it gave me a little left pull when ever I accelerated it. I went to Honda north dealership Peshawar, they made immense efforts to resolve the issue but I gave up on it for the reason my car was good as new and I didn't want them to mess with it. Since it wasn't that significant until this year when the left pull grew so immense that on motorway if I let the wheel go the car would switch lanes immediately, I started off by checking the front and rear chamber adjustments, wheel alignments, changing the chimta bushes, checking the ball joints and everything but in vane. I then rotated the right tire with the left tire on the back of my ride the problem was significantly improved but not catered completely. The mechanics from all around peshawar told me it was the tires but It wasn't making sense. I swapped all 4 wheels with identical 15's from my friends car which had different rubber with 195/65/15 Yokohama and the car got is straight as an arrow.
    For civic users I strictly recommend not to put this Dunlop702 Sp Sport on your car.
    But I still don't understand why car would pull in one tire and not on the other. My tires were directional and we're installed as per the requirements. Experts are requested to shed light upon why it pulled to the left with that rubber and not with this one.
    <<!!.... I am The Prod.. cArs Are My Cattle.... !!>>

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    this model civic has an issue of squishy mounting of the steering rack and the tie rods rotating the upper part of the strut - its vital to have a genuine and good part in the strut mount too due to this.

Having a wider patch (wide tires) will kick the car as it moves in its working arc (remember there is an arm connected to the car) and may also pull left in RHD cars (in original setup the car will seem to track straight but it will drift to the left over a length of a km or so, this is due to the slight difference in caster between the wheels. It has been done so that if you fall asleep at the wheel your car will go left and off the road and crash alone, rather than drifting right and into oncoming traffic.

LHD cars drift to the right. They are aligned so. In old cars you could dial in zero difference. e.g. 6th gen civics had adjustable caster.

with wider wheels and moving the patch outwards your car will respond a bit nervous too, I can bet your steering is sensitive now - people in Pakistan mistake this for "tight grip" but its not, its a bad side effect which needs correction.
    Xulfi bhai First off the steering column is poorly placed in this model I agree to that. Secondly as per the quality of the strut mounts of my car, they have not been messed with and are factory as this car just hit 1lac on its odo and If you say, I'll cross examine the strut mounts to be sure that they are intact and in good condition.

The difference in the casters between the wheels to prevent road accidents is ingenious. And I didnt know about that. Fact however is that it pulled to the left in less than 2 meters length and not a km. I mean I am travelling at 120kph on motorway and I let got he steering, the car would switch lanes instantly. So the minute caster difference might be no more minute. & that calls to examine the caster adjustment yet again.

Does my car that is a 2006 Honda Civic Exi come with an adjustable caster? If yes what is the local name for caster adjustments?

Quote: with wider wheels and moving the patch (What patch?) outwards your car will respond a bit nervous too, I can bet your steering is sensitive now ( It was hardened and the cars grip was compromised as well. It wasn't a good grip at all) - people in Pakistan mistake this for "tight grip" but its not.

Grip is what I have with my Toyota Corolla Axio, Masha Allah. I have hit the turns on the motorway at almost 160kph and it has been as smooth as a baby's butt. Tires are Advan DB 195/65/15 with Ken's Emotion Rim.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I remember there used to be engineers at Honda back in 2006 who used to visit the dealerships workshops and used to cater critical issues. It has been ages since I have heard about them. Why have they gone extinct? :/
    We have to deal with the mistris and burn both our money and blood. :/

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by shabantarif View Post
    Xulfi bhai First off the steering column is poorly placed in this model I agree to that. Secondly as per the quality of the strut mounts of my car, they have not been messed with and are factory as this car just hit 1lac on its odo and If you say, I'll cross examine the strut mounts to be sure that they are intact and in good condition.

The difference in the casters between the wheels to prevent road accidents is ingenious. And I didnt know about that. Fact however is that it pulled to the left in less than 2 meters length and not a km. I mean I am travelling at 120kph on motorway and I let got he steering, the car would switch lanes instantly. So the minute caster difference might be no more minute. & that calls to examine the caster adjustment yet again.

Does my car that is a 2006 Honda Civic Exi come with an adjustable caster? If yes what is the local name for caster adjustments?

Quote: with wider wheels and moving the patch (What patch?) outwards your car will respond a bit nervous too, I can bet your steering is sensitive now ( It was hardened and the cars grip was compromised as well. It wasn't a good grip at all) - people in Pakistan mistake this for "tight grip" but its not.

Grip is what I have with my Toyota Corolla Axio, Masha Allah. I have hit the turns on the motorway at almost 160kph and it has been as smooth as a baby's butt. Tires are Advan DB 195/65/15 with Ken's Emotion Rim.
    by minute I meant minutes of degrees, not minute (maeeniyoot) small.

You can have this tested on an alignment rack, just ask the tech to measure caster angle, he will turn the wheels side to side and measure the camber - the resulted camber will be removed from the actual - infact even ancient blue beissbarth machines will calculate those for you right there.

Whilst aligning, get two pieces of wood - they should be able to go between the front of the tires and have a car jack between them, this will simulate the car driving down the road.

now read the final toe in. Also make sure the front bushing of the lower arm is not torn or too soft, if its soft the car will act like marshmallow on the road. By your writing of problems it sounds like you have an extremely shitty alignment technician.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    by minute I meant minutes of degrees, not minute (maeeniyoot) small.

You can have this tested on an alignment rack, just ask the tech to measure caster angle, he will turn the wheels side to side and measure the camber - the resulted camber will be removed from the actual - infact even ancient blue beissbarth machines will calculate those for you right there.

Whilst aligning, get two pieces of wood - they should be able to go between the front of the tires and have a car jack between them, this will simulate the car driving down the road.

now read the final toe in. Also make sure the front bushing of the lower arm is not torn or too soft, if its soft the car will act like marshmallow on the road. By your writing of problems it sounds like you have an extremely shitty alignment technician.
    Je je I am familiar with the terminologies minute and minutes and units such as radians and degrees. Choti si engineering ki Hai Mai ne electronics Mai aur ajkal chota sa masters bhi Kar raha hun.

I will for sure follow your procedure which is duely noted. And come back to you with its feedback.

For the record I had changed the worn out bushes of the lower arms. Indeed it was acting like a marshmallow and I got them changed.

As per the alignment technicians, I used to rely on Hondas authorized dealership. Then I took opinion from a dozen other alignment walas. The best in peshawar. And majority of them were of the opinion that Tires are the culprit. More specifically Dunlop 702 is the culprit.

And I would also want to divert your attention to another thing which I mentioned but is out of out debate and that is that after changing my wheels, the issue is resolved. I didn't get an alignment check or anything else. But the problem is resolved after I swapped my wheels with another set. And my wheels show no issues with the city I had swapped my tires with either. There lies the mystery.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I dont know whats exactly the problem is but I have civic 2005 it also pulls on left side when I accelerate, my mechanic said its very common issue in civic 2005 (but I have stock 15 inch rims not 14 inch)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by islamabadboys View Post
    I dont know whats exactly the problem is but I have civic 2005 it also pulls on left side when I accelerate, my mechanic said its very common issue in civic 2005 (but I have stock 15 inch rims not 14 inch)
    First check your suspension health with alignment wala.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Once I rotated my tires, and the car started pulling to one side. Went back and got the tires back in their original places, and the pulling stopped just like that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List