Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Post Vibration in civic 2004

AOA,

I need expert opinion with the issue i am currently having.

I have civic 2004 and i never had a pleasent and smooth drive(car doesnt seems to sit on the road).

Car always seems to be dancing on slow speed especially.

Changed the rims/tyres problem reduced a bit for some time.

Recently changed the front bushes and steering ends but problem started to appear again.

on slow speeds car seems to veer to left with some vibration from left side if throttle is pushed hard then it disappear and start to appear again at 80--100km/hr.

at this speed steering also gives jolts and vibration.

No balls in any tyres or bent rims.

got alignment and balancing done many times but it only resolves the issue for only couple of days(no permanent solution yet).

Mind u this vibration(plus feeling that car is out of control is only from left side not right).

Front brake pads especially the left one also gives GAR GAR sound if brakes pushed too hard.

GODA boot also seems to be weak but no goda sound is there.

Power steering pump is also noisy but does it really affect the drive of car.

what can be the soultion to get of that vibration on permanent basis which is only from left side.

Thank you.
    Jazak Allah.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I to have same model civic with bit noisy power pump nd it does not affect drive of car in anyway except for humming noise at idle/very lower speeds.

Gar Gar sound u hear on sudden hard pressing of brake pedal is of ABS kicking inn and is absolutely normal.

The vibration problem ur car have is similar to my previous car. i swapped rims along with tyres with a friends car. Got every thing inspected like 1000 times by different mechanics. Nothing worked so i started living with that lower speed vibration untill i sold my car.
    What's Behind You, Doesn't Matter - Enzo Ferrari

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bro sorry forgot to mention its an EXI so no ABS thing in it. Brakes are soft as well. car always give a sense of being out of control from left side and vibrates too from same side

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Best thing is to get the complete front end open. Even if a single joint is faulty, the car will vibrate. Had the same issue in 2012, changed the rims and tyres and got front work done. Anything weak was changed and by the grace of GOD my car is running fine till today. I remember this much that i had the complete front open and many things were changed but the end result was satisfying
    Everything that kills me makes me feel alive

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i recently travelled on highway on my civic and it gave the feeling of loosing control whenever it hit the slightest of the bumps..it was the camber misadjustment issue.. got it done and it feels solid now on bumps.

plus if you have placed packing at the rear end, that too will make the car dance on bumps..i am facing this issue currently after placing packing at the rear.

imo get these things sorted out first before opening up the suspension.
    FOCAL /// PIONEER /// AUDISON /// KICKER /// JVC /// PHOENIX GOLD.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

bro the issue is on highway and smooth silky roads of bahria town...............all front bushes and steering ends changed....car always seems to veer left on slow speeds.........at 8km the car vibrates from left side only and always gives feeling of being out of control....no packing at the back.....i can also feel vibration on clutch pedal all the time......anything to do with axle.........thats the only thing that has never been spent money on.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

what's the size of the tires?
    _ 22 km/l from '03 VTi automatic, with plenty of room for improvement
    _ How to hypermile: http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/1510/

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Please check/replace your inner CV joints.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the issue persisted with 195 tyre size and now with 205. balancing improves the conditions but only for week.

dont wana spend on balancing again. i need to rectify the fault and fix it.

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qaiser_numl View Post
    bro the issue is on highway and smooth silky roads of bahria town...............all front bushes and steering ends changed....car always seems to veer left on slow speeds.........at 8km the car vibrates from left side only and always gives feeling of being out of control....no packing at the back.....i can also feel vibration on clutch pedal all the time......anything to do with axle.........thats the only thing that has never been spent money on.
    The vibration of left side of your car is probably due to slight bending of axle. The slight jumping of your car is may be due to deformation of wheel hub. Change axle first and if problem persist then change wheel hub. Power steering pump sound can be rectified by flushing and replacing the old oil with new one. Use STP P/S oil. Also get check the supply and return power steering pipes and if anyone is found previously replaced with inferior pipe then change it with a good one from Bilal Gunj for Rs 3000 only. My car left brakes also makes Grr grr sound while applying brakes lightly at very slow speed. I am working on it to detect the fault. May be it is due to faulty brake pads. For soft brake pedal you should flush and change brake oil with new one and bleed the air from all four wheels properly. Use Guard brake oil, one small one large bottle for complete flushing and changing.

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

SPEED SENSITIVE VIBRATIONS
    Nine out of ten times, speed-sensitive vibrations are due to an out-of-balance wheel. But what about the tenth time when balancing doesn't cure the shakes? Is it a bent rim, an out-of-round rim or tire, an off-center wheel or hub, or a bent or imbalanced drive shaft? Sometimes the problem is worn shocks or a loose part in the suspension or steering linkage.

Most tire/wheel imbalance problems will make themselves evident at speeds above 45 to 50 mph. A back-and-forth shimmy in the steering wheel means one or both front wheels are dynamically imbalanced, or a rim is bent. A simple bubble balancer can't address either of these.
    An off-car electronic spin balancer will check both static and dynamic balance of the tire and wheel assembly. Some balancers can also check radial and lateral run out. But off-car balancers only do the tire and wheel assembly. They do not take into account brake rotors or drums that may be out of balance. So when a vibration problem doesn't go away even though the wheels have been rebalanced, it should tell you the balance problem is probably on the vehicle.

First, try re-indexing the rotor one or two lug positions on the hub to see if that reduces the imbalance. If there is no change, the rotor may need to be balanced or replaced.

Or, use an on-car balancer to balance the wheel on the car. Unfortunately, a conventional on-car spin balancer can't be used on most vehicles with FWD or fulltime all-wheel drive (AWD) because spinning the wheel with the suspension unsupported risks damaging the CV joint. Also, if a FWD or AWD vehicle has any type of limited-slip differential (including the viscous clutch type), you can't spin just one wheel. For these kind of balance problems, you may need an off-car balancer that can also detect force variations in the tire.

Variations in the stiffness of the sidewall, particularly in low profile tires, can have the same effect as excessive radial runout as the tire rolls down the highway. Match mounting the tire on the rim with the stiffest point on the tire over the lowest point on the rim may reduce the effect of force variation. If not, the tire may have to be replaced.

Vibrations caused by out-of-round tires or wheels, bent rims or excessive hub runout can be diagnosed on the vehicle with a dial indicator, or on a wheel balancer that has this capability. Minor runout problems can be corrected by tire matching (lining up the high and low spots on the wheel and tire to minimize runout) or tire truing (shaving the tire to make it rounder, another job that requires special equipment).

As a rule, most hubs with sealed wheel bearing assemblies should have less than .002 inches of runout. More than that may cause a vibration and/or tell you the bearing is failing.

A sawtooth or heel-and-toe wear pattern on the tires can also produce vibrations and noise that may be speed sensitive. This type of wear is common on the rear tires of some front-wheel drive cars, and may be caused by a toe-out condition on one or both rear wheels. Not rotating the tires often enough can also cause unusual wear patterns to develop on the rear tires of many front-wheel drive cars. Run your hand around the rear tires to feel for roughness. If the tread blocks are worn unevenly, you'll probably feel ridges one way but not the other. The fix here is to replace the worn tires and realign the rear wheels.

DRIVE SHAFT VIBRATIONS

If the wheels are in balance, the rims are not bent and the tires are round -- and the car still shakes -- the imbalance may be in the drive shaft. This would be more likely on a rear-wheel drive vehicle than a FWD car. Here's why.

FWD drive shafts turn at the same speed as the wheels. At 55 mph, a typical FWD drive shaft may only be turning at 800 rpm -- which isn't fast enough to cause a vibration unless the shaft is bent or severely out of balance. Because of this, most FWD drive shafts are not balanced at the factory (unlike RWD shafts), nor is runout as critical. Maximum runout for a RWD drive shaft is generally .010 inches. For FWD, twice as much runout is considered acceptable.

On some FWD drive shafts, a "vibration damper" weight is used to control torsional vibrations. If the weight has been removed or lost, it may cause cyclic vibrations to occur at certain speeds.

Worn U-joints on RWD drive shafts can cause vibrations at any speed as can an incorrectly installed U-joint. A worn U-joint (or inner CV joint in FWD applications) will usually "clunk" when the transmission is put into gear or when changing speed abruptly. A bad U-joint may also emit a cyclic chirp when starting out from a dead stop.

Cyclic vibrations can also be caused by excessive drive shaft angle. This may be a problem if somebody has raised or lowered the stock ride height of the vehicle by more than several inches.

With FWD, bad CV joints usually don't vibrate but they do click. The best way to check for worn outer joints is to turn the steering wheel to one side, then put the car in reverse and accelerate backwards. Running the joint in the opposite direction to which it normally turns exaggerates any wear that might be present.

Bad wheel bearings will usually make themselves evident before they fail. If you hear a whining, squeaking, chirping or grumbling noise that seems to be coming from a wheel, better check the bearings.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

who told you EXI does not have ABS

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by gaara View Post
    who told you EXI does not have ABS
    exi has 4 wheels disc brakes without ABS.
    FOCAL /// PIONEER /// AUDISON /// KICKER /// JVC /// PHOENIX GOLD.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

exi has 4 wheels disc brakes without ABS thats right

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

did alignment and balancing from reputed shop and problem reduced it was with tyre

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Mine EXI 2006 has no ABS brakes as well.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

VTi and VTi Oriel had 4 wheel disc with ABS, EXi came with front disc and rear drums till 2003 and from 2004 onwards EXi also came with 4 wheel discs
    Your ego is writing cheques, your body can't cash.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List