84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default engine oil for civic 2005 120k km driven

My civic vti is 120k km driven. I have been using honda genuine oil since day one (10w30 API SL) The car is fine, no leaks or anything. I want to go for some other brand and after researching on forums and discussing with couple of members here (thank you guys) i have short-listed few options. Kindly i am not aware if that honda oil was mineral or semi-synthetic

1. Caltex Havoline 5W40 API SN fully synthetic
    2. Caltex Havoline 10W30 API SM semi synthetic
    3. Mobil Super 2000 10W40 API SM semi synthetic
    4. Castrol Magnatec 10W40 API SN semi synthetic
    5. Liqui Moly MOS2 10w40 (read good reviews but i am not very confident to use it)

Which one is the best for my car? I am a little reluctant using fully synthetic because if honda oil was mineral then there will be deposits and synthetic might cause leaks. And according to user manual 10w40 is ok to use. I am very much inclined towards mobil1 but i need suggestions as caltex and castrol are pretty good too!
    @Xulfiqar

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i am using
    1)
    and very satisfied. considering if u put the wrong oil in idsi Honda, it starts to reduce/burn it
    odo mileage of my car 135,000 kms
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

From the list you provided, I'll recommend Castrol Magnatec 10W40 API SN semi synthetic since it's a SN rated oil and vtec engines work good with a 10W oil, heat range of 30-40 works good in our climate.
    City SX8 - Civic ES - Accord SiR CF4 F20B
    Build Threads http://ow.ly/cZpvx and http://ow.ly/cZpDb

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Experts please give advice...i am using Honda engine oil since day one from honda classic and honda center.first car is exi 2001 which is 173k km driven and second is city 2005,which is 181 k driven. So far i never faced any prob...no oil reduction no leakage till date in both cars...i change eng oil with interval of 5000 to 6000 km. Is there any harm to keep using his same oil???

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I am using Honda 10W-30 since day one in my Civic EXi 2003, and it has done 225k kms and still it does not consume oil, I change it around 3500 kms.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hash4u View Post
    i am using
    1)
    and very satisfied. considering if u put the wrong oil in idsi Honda, it starts to reduce/burn it
    odo mileage of my car 135,000 kms
    But i don't know if the honda oil that i have been always using is mineral or semi-synthetic... if it is mineral then there will certainly be sludge formations and synthetic will remove it and might cause leaks. It may not but there is risk involved do you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by rohaansaeed View Post
    From the list you provided, I'll recommend Castrol Magnatec 10W40 API SN semi synthetic since it's a SN rated oil and vtec engines work good with a 10W oil, heat range of 30-40 works good in our climate.
    Thanks! how does it compare with mobil1?

Quote Originally Posted by usama1 View Post
    Experts please give advice...i am using Honda engine oil since day one from honda classic and honda center.first car is exi 2001 which is 173k km driven and second is city 2005,which is 181 k driven. So far i never faced any prob...no oil reduction no leakage till date in both cars...i change eng oil with interval of 5000 to 6000 km. Is there any harm to keep using his same oil???
    No there is no harm, it is just that i have heard and felt that the quality is not as good as it used to be and there are better oils out there so i want to treat my car with something better (if any)

Quote Originally Posted by jehanzebnasir View Post
    I am using Honda 10W-30 since day one in my Civic EXi 2003, and it has done 225k kms and still it does not consume oil, I change it around 3500 kms.
    Mine doesn't either. I am not switching brand due to oil reduction (reason above )

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Most of you are suggesting castrol, what about mobil1? isnt it supposed to be the best currently in pakistan?

last night there were more comments and now they are gone (deleted?)
    @fazalwahab11375

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by HellsGuardian View Post
    Most of you are suggesting castrol, what about mobil1? isnt it supposed to be the best currently in pakistan?

last night there were more comments and now they are gone (deleted?)
    @fazalwahab11375

Facing the same issue in another thread.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9500 usando Tapatalk

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This saturday, i changed engine oil to castrol 10w40, got oil filter for honda dealership and bought air filter (leppon) from a shop near by. 3s mechanic said that we have guard filters and dealership is selling for 1500 whereas same filter is available in market for 500. Guard filter was 450 rupees but its quality was poorer than leppon(550rs) so i went for that.

The car seems fine, i have not observed any issues however this morning when i started the car, the engine check light remained on. Idling was very rough even with pressing accelerator, as if engine wanted to die. So i turned off the car and started again and this time it was fine. I drove on sunday morning as well and nothing such happened... I will get the error code scanned but my guess is that it is IAC sensor problem. It happened a year ago as well, i took to 3s and they said that they will do throttle body service and see if it resolves, if not, sensor will have to be replaced. However after servicing, the check light did not come back.

Can any one advise a cheap shop just to read the error code in islamabad? I dont wanna pay some 1500 to honda dealership just to read the error code.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by HellsGuardian View Post
    This saturday, i changed engine oil to castrol 10w40, got oil filter for honda dealership and bought air filter (leppon) from a shop near by. 3s mechanic said that we have guard filters and dealership is selling for 1500 whereas same filter is available in market for 500. Guard filter was 450 rupees but its quality was poorer than leppon(550rs) so i went for that.

The car seems fine, i have not observed any issues however this morning when i started the car, the engine check light remained on. Idling was very rough even with pressing accelerator, as if engine wanted to die. So i turned off the car and started again and this time it was fine. I drove on sunday morning as well and nothing such happened... I will get the error code scanned but my guess is that it is IAC sensor problem. It happened a year ago as well, i took to 3s and they said that they will do throttle body service and see if it resolves, if not, sensor will have to be replaced. However after servicing, the check light did not come back.

Can any one advise a cheap shop just to read the error code in islamabad? I dont wanna pay some 1500 to honda dealership just to read the error code.
    I was wondering that is it possible that car has a vacuum leak? because i can easily tell from exhaust that the car is running rich. Does vacuum leak case even apply to it? if so, how to confirm it
    @Xulfiqar

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Use either Shell HX7 or Total 9000 5W/30 best for cars even if the car mileage is high. It won't burn as synthetic oils have higher burning temperature tolerance. I am using both sometime Shell or Total 5W/30 and it is just perfect. Fuel consumption of car also decreases by using thin oil. No danger to car engine whatsoever.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Havoline 10W30. Do make sure its the original one cz there are a lot of fakes in the market after caltex wrapped up its petrol stations

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The manual says 10w30. Hav used 5w30 zic for quite sometime but engine seemed to get hot more then usual i dnt knw y. Shifted back to honda genuine 10w30 and its behaving normal

Sent from my LG-H818 using PW Forums mobile app
    Everything that kills me makes me feel alive

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by adilfarid View Post
    The manual says 10w30. Hav used 5w30 zic for quite sometime but engine seemed to get hot more then usual i dnt knw y. Shifted back to honda genuine 10w30 and its behaving normal

Sent from my LG-H818 using PW Forums mobile app
    5w30 is much thinner than 10w30. Even though manual recommends many grades like 0w which are still applicable to our temperatures yet i think 10w30 or 10w40 is good for safe side. As Xulfiqar once said, you dont wanna toast your engine in this heat while stuck at traffic with AC running on

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thin engine oil cools the engine more effectively as compared to thick oil. The reason is that the thin oil circulate more fast inside the engine and thus takes the heat of engine more effectively. There is no such overheating problem with thin oil as long as there is no low oil pressure indication coming on speedometer. Always use 5w/30 oil throughout year. Thin oil don't put load on engine and so efficiency of engine increases. Furthermore, thin oil is made of synthetic material so it won't burn off as these have more tolerance to higher temperature of engine. Thin oil also cleans the engine from inside more effectively. I am using 5w/30 engine oil for the last one year and my car is running great. My car mileage is around 200000.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List