EDIT: The X in title does not mean 10 years, its a variable which can have a value in number 3, 5, 8, 11 etc Sorry if its miss-leading. I tried to edit it but not working i guess
So I have to make the big decision whether to sell my civic or spend some bucks and keep it. Beware wall of text ahead Please take time to read, assess the situation and give your expert and honest opinion.
Some history of the car:
Its a Honda civic 2005 Vti oriel manual, Islamabad registered (stone canyon silver). We bought the car zero meter and for last 9 years, i am the only driver of the car. It has clocked 123k kms on odo. For eight years, it was used only in Islamabad and had 70k on odo however since 2013, i got a job in rawalpindi so the running of car increased drastically. (70k kms in 8 years VS 53k kms in 3 years)
1. A long time ago, the car's right fender (behind wheel) was hit by a taxi while turning to right. The car was on instalments and hence insured that time so they replaced the fender. The door was also slightly hit but i am not sure what they did of it. My mamu was in army and he had links in bank so he got with all the claims and stuff. May be they replaced it too or repaired it I honestly don't know.
2. Left rear door was once hit with another car's bumper while parking. I got it dry dented so it is still visible
3. Bottom area of driver side door was once hit by a taxi. The hit was minor so i did not do anything to it. It is barely visible
4. Front and back bumpers corners have been scratched many times.
5. I hit a suzuki pickup once while reversing from car wash (low visibility). The dent is not big but noticeable. It is on rear boot cover (near honda emblem)
I have never got any work done on body, not because of resale (i had no plans of selling it) but because of my laziness.
The reason i am thinking to sell the car is because of mechanical maintenance it now requires. Until now, all work was done on car by honda dealership I-9. I have receipts btw so here is the
Now as you can see, there is a lot of expensive work required on the car. Here are the questions now:1. Recently AC compressor was changed with kabli one. Reason is that the clutch bearing of genuine sanden gave up and it bit on the seat. Mechanic called it GAATTA, its called bearing seat right? The pulley had too much play so we were forced to go for another compressor. Mechanic said previous compressor is irreparable and is useless now.
2. I have always used honda genuine engine oil and filter, always got it changed from dealer ship. However on last oil change i went for castrol magnatec.
3. Once a spark plug got stuck inside. The mechanic skilfully removed it by using wd40 and some to-and-fro motion. He then installed a new plug. The plug has been removed once after it but no problems
4. Have been periodically getting throttle body serviced and tappets adjustments.
5. Timing belt was changed at 100k kms.
6. Gear oil has been changed only once since the car came.
7. Fuel filter has never been replaced/cleaned.
8. Brake fluid + service performed twice since car came. Brake pads have been changed whenever required
9. Clutch fluid never been changed. The mechanic at 3s said that it looks ok
10. PSP has been rebuilt once, no problems so far.
11. Coolant has never been changed (i know i will be bashed for this)
12. Car hits bumps hard and makes thuz thuz noise when it is moving on road with bumps. On expressway the ride is smooth as silk So i am guess suspension overhaul is required.
13. Tires need replacement now
14. Spark plugs need replacement now
15. I assume the car runs rich because the exhaust is smelly and eyes get watery if you stick in your face. I told couple of mechanics including 3s they said its normal. There is no CEL. Smell is both on petrol and cng
16. Clutch assembly has never been changed. Clutch is still strong but the bearings have started to give up. There are random noises which discussed it with @Xulfiqar bhai and he has thrown some good light to it. 3s quoted me 2900 for Throw out bearing and 9000 labour charges. But obviously once this is done, all bearings and plates will be changed. You dont pay 9000 for labour every other day
17. Engine mount has been changed once, 3s took 5000 for one mount!
18. Driver power window switch and harness has been changed once. Rain water dripped in rendering it useless. They charged me 5500 for harness and price for switch was 12000 but they gave it free saying that this model had some fault so factory is giving free replacements.
19. The car has cng installed. The mileage per litre is almost same, 12km/litre on cng ISB-RWP drive with AC and 11km/l on petrol but obviously due to low price of cng, 42rs/l it turns out to be much cheaper.
20. Hand brake cable once jammed so had to replace it, costed 4200 from 3s.
1. Other then the work mentioned above, there might be other stuff required which i do not know of (please suggest). So what is the estimated cost to make the car in its top notch condition?
I can at max throw in 1 lac rupees for car maintenance but considering it a 11-12 years old car and the heavy maintenance cost i am paying, will the car go with me good for another XYZ years? fill in the XYZ I cannot spare such large amount for the car every year or so.
2. If It is advisable to sell the car and get some other then please note that the maximum budget i can stretch for some other car is this car's selling price + 2 lac max. So if i have to buy some other car, then it must be it good condition and must not ask for heavy maintenance (except routine maintenance) otherwise the point of buying some other car fails.
Lastly, yes i have been lazy for its maintenance but it was due to busy routine, finances and simply being unaware of its needs.
BUT not anymore!
- Used Cars
- New Cars
- Cool Rides
- Post an Ad