Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Civic 1997 Engine suggestions

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    123rfaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    25
    Posts
    49
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Civic 1997 Engine suggestions

    Hi guys, I have a 97 model Automatic Honda Civic EXI 290k done and the engine is weak now.
    I got three options after i visited the market in rawalpindi.

    1. Same Exi engine Head assembly for 30k and complete for 45k with wiring ECU etc (Mechanic,Electrician, Gear and engine oil expense excluded )
    2. Same model's CVT Complete engine with transmission, ECU,wiring,power pump, compressor,generator, foundations etc for 65k (Mechanic,Electrician, Gear and engine oil expense excluded )
    3. Also got an option for civic 2005 but i guess its not going to work with my current automatic transmission and for changing transmission alteration will be needed.

    Please Suggest me for which engine i should go for.
    Thanks in advance


  2. #21
    PakWheeler Follow
    123rfaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    25
    Posts
    49
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hash4u View Post
    see post 1 of this thread
    this is how he checked the engine and when i swapped and took compression it turned out to be perfect

    Stethoscope leakdown testing [Archive] - The GSResources Forums
    Got it, i was also watching some videos but for that we need a guage and engine to be in operational mode, ill try this compression test tomorrow.

    BTW what is your suggestion? shall i go for this engine? now that it is clear the mileage is more then 100k? and do we really get low mileage engines from these places?

  3. #22
    PakWheeler Follow
    naturallyaspirated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    18
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    From which market did you ask about this engine? I'm assuming you've been recommend a D15b. I'd recommend the swap, it's a very good JDM Engine with a nice ratio of Power to Economy.

  4. #23
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    hash4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,366
    Follows
    18
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    3
    Good Answers
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 123rfaa View Post
    Got it, i was also watching some videos but for that we need a guage and engine to be in operational mode, ill try this compression test tomorrow.

    BTW what is your suggestion? shall i go for this engine? now that it is clear the mileage is more then 100k? and do we really get low mileage engines from these places?
    Very old engine
    Wld b extremely hard to get a engine with low miles wo b andazay say
    Aim shld b engine with good compression
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

  5. #24
    PakWheeler Follow
    123rfaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    25
    Posts
    49
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by naturallyaspirated View Post
    From which market did you ask about this engine? I'm assuming you've been recommend a D15b. I'd recommend the swap, it's a very good JDM Engine with a nice ratio of Power to Economy.
    i checked from chah sultan the famous market for cars, yes its the same engine.

  6. #25
    PakWheeler Follow
    123rfaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    25
    Posts
    49
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Guys i changed my 98 EXI's complete engine to JDM D15B Non vtec Alhamdulillah its a real Pleasure to drive a perfect combo of Power + economy car is giving me a nice consumption of 15 km/L on long routes didn't checked exactly on local but wild guess is 12km/l its been more then 20 days and no complaint yet oil/coolant level is good no leakages. I also got the running engine compression test done from Enercon diagnostic G10 islamabad and the result was good.

    complete engine costed me 43k with complete uncut engine wiring + ECU from Rawalpindi my car was already automatic so used the old transmission over all spent 70k including complete flushing of old oils, brand new radiator + coolant, foundations, new belts, mechanic + electrician charges.

  7. #26
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    hash4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,366
    Follows
    18
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    3
    Good Answers
    13

    Default

    nice congrats!
    hope it serves you well
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

  8. #27
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    ahmed2396's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,321
    Follows
    5
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    2
    Good Answers
    7

    Default

    The cover clearly states that this engine got its timing belt changed in 2010 at 109k kms. So it would be roughly 150-200k driven. But if compression is good than mileage doesn't matter.
    Your ego is writing cheques, your body can't cash.

  9. #28
    PakWheeler Follow
    123rfaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    25
    Posts
    49
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hash4u View Post
    nice congrats!
    hope it serves you well
    thanks for your suggestions and advice's, hoping same

  10. #29
    PakWheeler Follow
    123rfaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    25
    Posts
    49
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rajaahmed96 View Post
    The cover clearly states that this engine got its timing belt changed in 2010 at 109k kms. So it would be roughly 150-200k driven. But if compression is good than mileage doesn't matter.
    Compression is the only way to check an engine where as the mechanics strongly believe on the formula of checking the engine if it's silver or brown or red they dont even know about compression test. I got it checked and the compression test was good so kept it.

  11. #30
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    ahmed2396's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,321
    Follows
    5
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    2
    Good Answers
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 123rfaa View Post
    Compression is the only way to check an engine where as the mechanics strongly believe on the formula of checking the engine if it's silver or brown or red they dont even know about compression test. I got it checked and the compression test was good so kept it.
    No they are dumb to check this way, as this depends on which oil was used as some oils leave a varnish slight golden brown and some have red. The exact way to check is buy inserting comp gauge into plug holes and crank it for each cylinder until highest reading achieved.
    Your ego is writing cheques, your body can't cash.

  12. #31
    PakWheeler Follow
    123rfaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    25
    Posts
    49
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rajaahmed96 View Post
    No they are dumb to check this way, as this depends on which oil was used as some oils leave a varnish slight golden brown and some have red. The exact way to check is buy inserting comp gauge into plug holes and crank it for each cylinder until highest reading achieved.
    Agree, but this also depends on the junkyard owner they wont allow this test.

  13. #32
    PakWheeler Follow
    123rfaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    25
    Posts
    49
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Guys how about engine oil? my mechanic used his most favorite 20w 50 havoline he will not just let me go for any other engine oil. is it ok to use? i was thinking of Zic oil shall i change it to zic next time or keep running on havoline?

  14. #33
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    ahmed2396's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,321
    Follows
    5
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    2
    Good Answers
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 123rfaa View Post
    Guys how about engine oil? my mechanic used his most favorite 20w 50 havoline he will not just let me go for any other engine oil. is it ok to use? i was thinking of Zic oil shall i change it to zic next time or keep running on havoline?
    Don't use 20W50, it is not for your ride. Use Havoline 10W40 API SJ or ZIC 15W40 API SJ
    Your ego is writing cheques, your body can't cash.

  15. #34
    PakWheeler Follow
    123rfaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    25
    Posts
    49
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rajaahmed96 View Post
    Don't use 20W50, it is not for your ride. Use Havoline 10W40 API SJ or ZIC 15W40 API SJ
    here are the options from both zic and havoline
    Attached Images Attached Images   

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •