Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vtec head on a Civic exi 96/97 D15B possibility?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Vtec head on a Civic exi 96/97 D15B possibility?

possible or not? If possible how much will be the cost of conversion from bilal gung? ECU needs to be changed or some settings to be changed or anything? I am not a technical person...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If there r oil feeding lines to operate the vtec hardware then u can, and u would also be needing the vtec ECU+wiring loom+distrubuter(i guess) n some fabrication work to install the knock sensor on a non-vtec head(if the knock sensor isnt already there.)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Why would you need the knock sensor ?

I guess you will need the VTEC head (off a D16Z6 or Y8), sensors and chip the ECU to run VTEC on it (or buy another ECU) ... some wiring changes, but no new looms.
    1st Generation Integration

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ahsan1702
    it is there to detect any unwanted noise being generated by any type of mismatched event,i.e, preignition/auto ignition n that might be leading to detonation.

So in order to avoid detonation the ecu needs a sensor which can hear the engine knock sound.

Besides few days back i have done this kind of work on a y8. Believe me bro i had to do that fabrication.Without the knock sensor, the ecu was not switching over to the higher power cam profile. Waysay,,! y8 head only switch over from 12v to 16v configuration(vtec-e), so no high lift profile involved here.

In another (dual vtec) instance, which i m doing these days, the ecu is not switching over to the second vtec. The reason, because the ecu is not getting the proper signal from the knock sensor. And the reason of receving wrong signal from knock sensor,,,,is,,, that one of the pin of a piston has become loose inside the piston n so generating a "tick tick' sound.
    any thing else?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dual Vtec ?? explanation ?
    any linky for a thorough read abt this ? im kinda lame abt Honda engines ??

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

anwar sahib.the jdm d15b vtec doesnt need knock sensor so u can easily use p08 ecu.the 3 stage and the usdm versions and dohc vtecs need knock.even pakistani vtecs have ks.but knock sensros on almost all hondas are same so hopefully it isnt that difficult to hook it up.
    u dont want to mess wiht the wiring or ecu?simply hook the vtec up with an rpm switch but it wont be as good as oem vtec ecu or a chipped one.
    Dazed and confused.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@datpak
    ab yeh tou behas wali baat hay k konsay vtec ko knock sensor key zaroorat hoti hay or konsay ko nai.
    If any one can crack in the ecu's bin file then it can do any thing. In our dual vtec case I just used a cheat to let ecu know that there is no such event taking place(which in reality is true).
    prior to that the ecu was not providing the current to turn on the second vtec solnoid valve. N for assurance i did checked the ecu code for reassurance about the reason of it. N u know what? the code was for knock sensor.
    Apart from the original positive voltage provided at vtec pins at 3k n 6.2 k Rpms, i m not aware about which RPM switch u r talking about coz for me those two pins r infact the rpm switches to engage n dis-engage the vtec mechanisms.
    The knock sensors r infact piezo sensors which generate voltage reading mechnanical stress n sounds inside the engine.
    oh! the chiped ecu,,ya, sir i think one can also use a p30.
    mmmm! now as far as the ecu's signals n functionality is concerned it is working fine. But still, the first vtec is not disengaging below 3k n the second is not engaging at 6.2k, so I'd be poping up the tapet cover tommorow morning to check whats wrong mechanically inside all the vtec mechanism n hydraulics.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List