0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Exclamation Toyota Corolla Se Saloon 2003 A/T Problem

Dear Brothers, Salam to all. I wish to ask you all a problem that relates to my sisters (family) car which is a 2003 Model Toyota Corolla SE Saloon that has an automatic transmission. It has been driven nicely and has covered over 100000Km (mashallah). Recently after being taken care of properly and with timely maintenance and all it has developed a weird problem. The cars transmission now shifts gears but along with the gear change and rpm drop which is quite normal, it jerks the car slightly which kind of feels awkward. The jerk which I am trying to explain was not present earlier and since the last 2 oil changes (transmission oil) has seemed to appear. Although we have always put genuine ATF Type IV fluid as suggested this gear issue has still not been resolved. We have gone to Toyota workshops only to here that this is a normal issue and a problem in this model(Model Fault, all cars develop this at some time or the other in this category and trim). So we went to many mechanics but still got the same response of this jerk being normal and it denoting a optimum and proper gear shift. (I do not agree on this jerk shift being normal). I mean we have used this car for over 7 years and never have I or my sister seen/felt this issue. Even her driver is saying that this jerk is weird. The worst part is that my brother in law also drives his A/T 3.0L Prado 1998 RZ (Diesel) and his A/T Toyota Corolla Altis 2005 (sold this car earlier this year) but says he has never seen/felt this problem in those cars and this developed in this car(SE Saloon) overtime. As the driver mostly drives the car we want this issue resolved asap as it causes my sister along with her husband (my brother in law) a problem as this is their family car and needs to be used daily and hence this is a huge problem. I wish my PakWheel brothers/Sisters (anyone) can help resolve this issue asap.

Car is fully maintained on timely intervals hence assistance is needed to resolve this issue ASAP. I request all Corolla Owners and Ex Corolla Owners to help me out here. No non-genuine parts are installed in the vehicle.

[P.S] The Problem in a Summary:

Gear changes from 1st to 2nd - Normal RPM drop - Abnormal Slight Jerk that can be felt as the gearshift is not smooth. @ 2 - 2.5K RPM

(Mentioned RPM cause this is where the problem is felt at max)

Same Problem for 2nd to 3rd Gear but jerk is less.

Somehow the 4th (Final Gear) does not have an issue like this and that transition is smooth. But if O/D (Overdrive is off) this gear does not engage hence all gears are jerky. We got the transmission inspected and every mechanic and Toyota workshop said all is ok.

!! Only some lucky times if the car is driven under 2K rpm (1000 to 1500rpm) the gear change is smooth but that is not possible in stop and go traffic (normal usage) !!

I Came, I Saw, I Conquered!---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Divide and Conquer!----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------PAKISTAN ZINDABAD!

** BOYCOTT ALL THE CRAPPY AND OVERPRICED CARS AND JOIN THE BOYCOTTING GANG, for a better and improved Pakistan!! **

There is only Democracy - Demo and Crazy ... what do you want ??

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

car is driven on cng or petrol?
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

very odd - is this vehicle on CNG - as the ECU should be retarding timing during shifts to soften them. An Advancer kills this function
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Exclamation

No brothers, car has totally been on petrol since the beginning and has never seen or tasted cng.

Help or Suggestions any one ??

*bump*
    I Came, I Saw, I Conquered!---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Divide and Conquer!----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------PAKISTAN ZINDABAD!

** BOYCOTT ALL THE CRAPPY AND OVERPRICED CARS AND JOIN THE BOYCOTTING GANG, for a better and improved Pakistan!! **

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

xulfi bhai can help better
    will disconnecting the battery terminal help ?

if it was on cng, my cousin has burnt his se saloon transmission infront of me
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default @xtreme1racer

Have u cleaned ur cars throtle body? if yes,then the machanic must have messed with ur cars shift sensors (just behind the throtle body).
    You have to rotate it towards the air cleaner.
    But remember this problem can also be caused by low-quality or choke air filter,&
    or by thick ATF.

I have se-saloon but never faced such problem but once in my 97 landcruiser which was solved by adjusting the shift sensor.Toyota Corolla Se Saloon 2003 AT Problem -228820

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by solo7 View Post
    Have u cleaned ur cars throtle body? if yes,then the machanic must have messed with ur cars shift sensors (just behind the throtle body).[IMG]G:\Images\201104\201104A0[/IMG]
    But remember this problem can also be caused by low-quality or choke air filter,&
    or by thick ATF.

I have se-saloon but never faced such problem but once in my 97 landcruiser which was solved by adjusting the shift sensor.
    I cannot see the image but will give that a test ... any other suggestions?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question

Quote Originally Posted by solo7 View Post
    Have u cleaned ur cars throtle body? if yes,then the machanic must have messed with ur cars shift sensors (just behind the throtle body).
    or by thick ATF.

I have se-saloon but never faced such problem but once in my 97 landcruiser which was solved by adjusting the shift sensor.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme1racer View Post
    I cannot see the image but will give that a test ... any other suggestions?
    I added new (OEM / Original ATF Type IV Fluid) Transmission fluid and checked the air filter (got it cleaned by air pressure via service station) and also the sensor you said but problem still is there.

Help please!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Brothers the problem still remains...need assistance/guidance!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

get the throttle body service from Toyota adjust it according to EBD.
    tuning, injector cleaner, mixing hi octane with petrol or using octane booster.

this will solve the problem if it is not gear related.

secondly check the cars manual which transmission fluid is recommended.
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    get the throttle body service from Toyota adjust it according to EBD.
    tuning, injector cleaner, mixing hi octane with petrol or using octane booster.

this will solve the problem if it is not gear related.

secondly check the cars manual which transmission fluid is recommended.
    Thank you for your response. I will get the car's throttle body service done again bro but I think my car does not have a EBD(Brake Distribution) system as it does not have ABS. It only has a 4 wheel disc brake system. Car will be re-tuned, and I will add the injector cleaner from toyota, will mix some hi-octane[ sky-high prices ] or some octane booster.

But I think this is a gear related issue linking to some transmission or so ... please refer to 1st post please. Car jerks on gear changes

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

*bump*

problem is still there!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

*bump*

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The only reason for your trans to shift hard if everything is upto spec, (TPS sensor in perfect adjustment etc) is jamming shift solenoids or sticking modulators.

Remove the transmission oil pan and replace the trans filter - fill with new fluid and flush the old fluid from the convertor on first startup through the oil cooler lines - be very careful as it can make quite a mess.

Firstly be sure that your fluid is not like mud or black - otherwise you may face a completely neutral trans after the flush.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

One of the prime reasons for automatic transmission problems occurring after the oil is changed is using of the wrong grade of oil. Every manufacturer clearly mentions what grade of oil is to be used in case of an oil change. Make sure that your mechanic used only this grade of oil for the oil change. Using any other grade of oil, however small the difference may be, could prove extremely fatal for your vehicles transmission unit. It is also possible that your mechanic has told you that he has used the specified grade of oil, but in reality has used oil of some other grade, possibly left-over after changing the transmission oil for some car of a different make. Always make it a point to be present when your mechanic is getting the oil changed. Also make very sure that he changes the oil filter. Using an old filter will result in the clean oil getting dirty with all the previous oils contaminants.
    Never loose hope in life,every step gives u something.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List