1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default dangerous swaying of my new xli

hello,,i am back in pindi with my second trip of M2 and M3 on my new xli,,,,,i posted the experience of my first trip to lahore ,,,,,,now here is a biggest highlight of my second trip,,,,,,,my new xli,,sways and lurches like a suzuki Fx while crossing a truck or a bus at speed of 120 and higher,,,,,and guess what happened on River Swan bridge close to islamabd on M2,,,,,,as soon as i entered the bridge at speed of 125 km/hr,,,,the car suddenly went out of control and it swayed to the left in a dangerous way,,,this was without applying any brake,,,i slowed down the car by applying brakes and afterwords never crossed 110km,till reaching islamabad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the car is with stock tyres,,,someone tell why it happened???????
    nothingh last forever,,even cold november rain.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Why is everyone pointing out at the tires? it has NOTHING to do with the tires. Almost every local assembled car is equipped with general tires and none of them sways except this corolla. the problem is with its high ground clearance, height, and some aerodynamic fault...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    24 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@g16b
    all these things u mentioned when coupled with General Tyres compounds the problem further, so changing those does have some favourable impact overall on all cars.
    Keep a cool head and wear seatbelts!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

change tyres, and with the passage of time suspension will become less stiff and a bit more responsive in a couple of months time.
    edit: btw, i like ur way of breaking (in)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

get atleast 195s if not 205, if u running on petrol, these sizes shouldnt be a problem. i have 195 in older corolla on CNG, although it takes good 16-17 seconds to reach 100 and top speed of 120 on CNG , but it does handle very good and stable.

i suggest dunlop 901 series, mechilen ES100 or pareli tires,
    even with these tires, the problem, will remain there to an extant.
    Alpha Romeo 156

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well i would say that the tyres have to be changed. Throw those generals away before the cause any more trouble. Taking fuel eco in mind buy tyres which are light weight (maybe 185/65)and from a good manufacturer.

Also get the alingnment checked and wheels balanced. Usually these cause a problem for you at specific speeds.
    Leave sooner, drive slower, live longer.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well i would say that the tyres have to be changed. Throw those generals away before the cause any more trouble. Taking fuel eco in mind buy tyres which are light weight (maybe 185/65)and from a good manufacturer.

Also get the alingnment checked and wheels balanced. Usually these cause a problem for you at specific speeds.
    Leave sooner, drive slower, live longer.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

small problem,big discussion.... If you feel you are not happy with 175 millimeter tyres, replacing them with 185 millimeter ones wont help you much, why spend so much money for extra 10mm only, If have to change put the 195mm ones with a brand which do spend alot on research Pirelli/Michellin/Bridgestone, even Dunlop or Yokohama, these all are great performing tyres, if you are looking for the latest Directional Treads .... go for them

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    24 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

based on my own expereince with a GLi
    i think it needs softer tyres to comensate for already stiff suspension. not fully but somehow.
    A539 will be a good choice but they need extra care especialy with the sidewall.
    Good Year NCT have excellent dry traction and softness but wet traction is average. Will work well on the rolla
    dont go above 185/65/14
    it will have many adverse effects as discussed many times. meter error is just one problem.
    Keep a cool head and wear seatbelts!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i always suggest yoko's A539, 've done 60k in our baleno, still going good.
    and go for 195 R14.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

get the camber checked

dont put heavy loads in the trunk near the back end but try to pack it closer to the back of the rear seats.

that way ur centre of gravity wont be shifted a lot
    AE 86

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

it is a cross wind i am sure. other wise there is no reason for such a bad behaviour. i have driven 2002 model crolla at 150/h on M3. although it was unstable. you must not exeed 120/h. because its has light weight to have maximum accelaration.
    on the otherhand i had mitsubishi lancer 90 model few years back. guys it was so smooth . i managed to maintain 150/h several times on M3 with A/C when it was on petrol. (on cng it only got upto 120/h).......and guys it had sumotomo 175 tyres. nothing can come upto mitsubishi for road grip. i have sold it but still remember its ride
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

First of all it was a stupidity of class A1 to approach a bridge at a speed of 125km/h.

DON'T change tyres or ANYTHING. The roads here are slippery. See the shine on them when the sun is burning bright. They let the rear end of the cars slip quite easily and skid while braking too is decreased.

Most of the people are giving *dumb* diagnostic remidies like for instance for e.g. change tyres, get chamber checked, alignment and balancing, etc.

If you increase the size of the tyre (in width or height) the pick-up will decrease, fuel consumption will increase and the suspension will wear out quickly.

Directional Tyres are the WORST tyres for our country.
    Directional tyres have BAD braking in dry, stability, etc.
    Stability of the car is associated with the lining in the tyre tread. In directional tyres there IS no lining.

Hopping over to the topic again, i must say, the swaying can be because of certain factors like for e.g:

- Cross winds
    - Oil on the road
    - Worn out tyres
    - Cutting on a road which is shiny
    - Less weight in the car than originally intended

Moreover, the most problems of grip, stability, traction, etc is just because of our roads.

According to International standards our roads are beyond the point "Dangerous"...
    Internationally when the road begins to shine, they quickly rebuild it with another layer.

While our standards are that until and unless, the stones beneath the road get visible the road is said to be unreliable and dangerous.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@tech_wiz

nice assumptions

and who says directional tyres are worst for our countries
    and the roads are not good or slippery or watever

i assume u have a driving license
    AE 86

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i have a civic that does the same on general tires.,, i dont drive above 60 km/hr on general..,, (use for city use),, i am surprised you doing 120km/hr on General..,, id get a set of low profile tires if i were you.
    ,,, unless you know the track, you're not good enough to sit behind the wheel." K T

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ tech wiz

DON'T change tyres or ANYTHING. The roads here are slippery. See the shine on them when the sun is burning bright. They let the rear end of the cars slip quite easily and skid while braking too is decreased.

one cant repair or rebuild roads, but can compensate for them by using good tires

Most of the people are giving *dumb* diagnostic remidies like for instance for e.g. change tyres, get chamber checked, alignment and balancing, etc.

at certian speeds, things at times do resonate, thou not the case he mentioned, but valubale suggestions nonetheless.

If you increase the size of the tyre (in width or height) the pick-up will decrease, fuel consumption will increase and the suspension will wear out quickly.

safety should be second to none.

Directional Tyres are the WORST tyres for our country.
    Directional tyres have BAD braking in dry, stability, etc.
    Stability of the car is associated with the lining in the tyre tread. In directional tyres there IS no lining.

plz elaborate,
    Alpha Romeo 156

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

tech-wiz:
    lol,, how many years of driving experience you have?.. legally speaking you should get yr driver's license next year
    ,,, unless you know the track, you're not good enough to sit behind the wheel." K T

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

well,thank u all for guiding and giving response,,,,,,,,,,one of the memebers above pointed out an interesting thing about the weight at the back of car,,,,,,yes,the car was loaded with my bag at the end of "diggy",,,,,,,,,but its weight was not more than 10 kg,,,,,,,,,,,but i do think now that was one of the contributing factor in weird swaying of car,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,today i went ot Toyota Rawal motors and "apparently" they have balanced the wheels,,because i was not present at the time of balancing act.........i will go for "185/65/R14 tyres whenever i have extra "$" to spend,,,,,i also installed "fog lamps" worth 2900 rupees,,,,but i dont know what happened to the "AC" afterwords,,,,before the inspection it used to start effortlessly and without any"click" sound,,,,,,,,,,now when i push the "ac" button it takes a gap of second and start with a "bloody" click sound which i hate,,,reminded me of my cultus,,,,,,,,,,,,,,why this happened,,,,,,,,,,,is it because of Fog lamps,,installed directly to battery of car???????????

i hope u are not fed up with my questions.
    nothingh last forever,,even cold november rain.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@asd123

If you were in islamabad today, you would have felt the strong wind at around 5:30ish....I was on constitution ave at that time doing around 110km/hr on a corolla and it swayed considerably to the left. I'm sure though if it had been any other similar car(civic etc) it would have swayed too.
    Wind was the culprit in my case. And most probably in your case too.
    and as I said earlier, chaning tires wont help this but you should change them as general tires are very slippery on the wet. You feel like the car is going even faster if you get the tires to lock
    Drive safe..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@kkool:

I've used Goodyear Eagle Ventura around 30,000 kms on a 2003 2.0D Saloon & back then my safety was at stake.
    Slight cornering at speeds in excess of 80km/h used to be surely a suicide mission in those days.

They ARE slippery. Move you UK, KSA, USA and touch the roads there see their grippy-ness.

What i've stated above isn't based on mere assumptions but on practical observations. I would rather consider our roads as "snow tracks" according to international standards when im refering to the word "slippery".

@RedBull_ar:

Dude, your optimistic yet biased approach sends a shiver down my spine.

As a matter of fact, the average joes out there put customized tyre sizes, usually on corollas (to compensate safety by using good tires, as you said) to make their cars more safer.

Then drag the Rollas with Civic VTis (which have stock 15" tyres) and spam on all forums saying YAY! Civy won.
    Dude, the ONLY problem with Corolla is its ride height & that too is just configured so as to overcome road uncertainities (yes i got that right kkool, im talking about the ROAD issue).

Guys never brag such things about lets say, for instance these tyre problems in a Kia Classis because no one pays a f*** to the Classics.

For "resonance" all i can say is that, the manufacturer of the car has MORE information, knowledege AND resources to counter & overcome problems arising due to resonating bodies in the car's chassy. So i think its better you don't apply YOUR custom physics on your car by changing tyre sizes according to the advise of the "ustaaad jeee" next door.

If safety is second to none, i wonder why guys here on forums literally yell about so called modified corolla losing to stock VTi. But once asked about the modified corolla, one comes to know that it has a 205 16" rim and stock 108hp 3ZZ-FE engine.

For directional tyres refer to my reply above to kkoool.

@levin:
    I learnt driving when i was in class 6. Back then, i used to drive around in my complex when i was in class 7.
    This June, i'll turn 18, so the first thing that i'll do after acquiring my NIC card will be the driving lisence.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I dunno about you but driving without a license..i think its the others who have their saftey at stake? Would'nt you agree?
    Being underage you're in no postion to share "practical obeservations" are you. I really wonder what you base your sermons on?
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| C2G - GARAGE | SHOP | TUNE +92 346 8776643 |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

User Tag List