Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Red face Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 (Model 2005) - Engine Idling Issue

Dear Fellows!

For last one week i am facing this idling issue. You can see the RPM drop issue in the video. The situation becomes worse while driving. I need to restart the engine many times. Or to shift to neutral before applying brakes. The issue appears on turning as well. The acceleration is little sluggish as well.

I was facing this issue since last year. My mechanic (not from Toyota 3s) diagnosed that its because of faulty fuel pump. The fuel pump was replaced in August and the car worked perfect for 2 months. But this problem has re-appeared since last week. Please be noted that the fuel pump my mechanic replaced was a used one, not new.

Air filter, engine oil and everything else is perfect. Every filter/oil is changed on time.

The car is running on Petrol, not CNG. Another thing, which i have noticed is that the Caltex fuel doesnt suit this car. It works perfect whenever it is been filled by Shell. Before getting the fuel pump replaced, i was using Hi Octane and Super mixture with the ratio of 40:60, the issue was still there most of the time. After the fuel pump replacement, I was using Super fuel only.

Please give your input that what is this issue? and how it can be resolved? Should i go for injector cleaning as well? and if it is again a Fuel Pump issue, I would be going for new one. Please suggest some reliable shop. I have not changed the spark plugs so far. Should I get them check as well?

Please guide. An Urgent response will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S ECU resetting is already done. Issue is still alive.

Link to video:

Toyota Corolla Altis (PKDM) 2005 Engine Idling Issue - YouTube

Its the devotion to work, not the resources which makes a nation to stabilize.The need of the hour is to assure people a decent standard of living, education, employment and social and economic security so that they feel stable and contented !!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Please open up the AFM, clean using Carb cleaner, Blow with your mouth to dry, you can see two very fine thin wires that act as resistance wires of the sensor, do not attempt to clean them using cotton swab or anything, carb cleaner is enough, do not wire the sensor back until fully dry, you can also see a bulb type of sensor, thats is the Air temp sensor, it can be cleaned using a Swab.

No need to reset ECU, just crank and enjoy, if problem persists and car is more than 100,000km driven, get the tappets adjusted. If still persists open the Fuel pump, the Filter is built in, it can be choked, install new one around 2500Rs for Genuine Thai and around 700 for chinese. Use Japanese as it act as a FPR as well.

It,s one of the three things, dont mingle more

Thanks

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

AFM can be done yourself, its on the Air cleaner box with I beleive 5 wires going in and installed with -02 philp screws, ungrip the connector and clean yourself. If you consider that Bad to DIY than tell mech to do it for you. Dont tell him a lot of other stuff as he will confuse you more, you are the user after all so you know more than him

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedk06 View Post
    Please open up the AFM, clean using Carb cleaner, Blow with your mouth to dry, you can see two very fine thin wires that act as resistance wires of the sensor, do not attempt to clean them using cotton swab or anything, carb cleaner is enough, do not wire the sensor back until fully dry, you can also see a bulb type of sensor, thats is the Air temp sensor, it can be cleaned using a Swab.

No need to reset ECU, just crank and enjoy, if problem persists and car is more than 100,000km driven, get the tappets adjusted. If still persists open the Fuel pump, the Filter is built in, it can be choked, install new one around 2500Rs for Genuine Thai and around 700 for chinese. Use Japanese as it act as a FPR as well.

It,s one of the three things, dont mingle more

Thanks
    Thanks a lot. I will definitely try it today. And update you by night. Fuel filter was all okay when i checked it in august 2011. It was clean.

Someone told me that there is no tappet adjustment for VVT-i engines. Is it true? My car has clocked roughly 70k km.
    Its the devotion to work, not the resources which makes a nation to stabilize.The need of the hour is to assure people a decent standard of living, education, employment and social and economic security so that they feel stable and contented !!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yes - you cannot adjust the tappets on this engine, the valve lifters are solid. The toyota manual says to discard the head and install a new one if any valve is burnt out or the seats have sunk. STUPID.

you should get the fuel pressure checked at the rail, and if its low - then the FPR above the fuel pump should be replaced, it may require you to buy an entire new fuel pump jug that sits in the tank.

BUT for kicks and giggles - get under the car and remove the crank sensor and see if anything is stuck to its magnet face. I can explain the entire fuel pump energizing circuit for you here but its mandatory that you should know what parts are where.

btw - this engine is cable throttle and has a separate ISC motor on the throttle which controls idle speed, is it bad? I have also seen cases of worn out MAF sensors causing stalling, too much cleaning and running on choked filters causes that.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    yes - you cannot adjust the tappets on this engine, the valve lifters are solid. The toyota manual says to discard the head and install a new one if any valve is burnt out or the seats have sunk. STUPID.

you should get the fuel pressure checked at the rail, and if its low - then the FPR above the fuel pump should be replaced, it may require you to buy an entire new fuel pump jug that sits in the tank.

BUT for kicks and giggles - get under the car and remove the crank sensor and see if anything is stuck to its magnet face. I can explain the entire fuel pump energizing circuit for you here but its mandatory that you should know what parts are where.

btw - this engine is cable throttle and has a separate ISC motor on the throttle which controls idle speed, is it bad? I have also seen cases of worn out MAF sensors causing stalling, too much cleaning and running on choked filters causes that.
    Thanks a lot sir. The issue was with MAF Sensor connector. I pulled it out, tighten the cables and gripped it again. The problem is gone. The car is as smooth as it should be. What a RELIEF!!!

I have not cleaned the MAF sensor yet as it looks like OKAY.

I am more then interested to see the fuel pump circuit. Whenever you are free, please explain/share it. It will definitely help many of the members.

Thanks a lot and stay blessed!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

are you sure tappet adj is not required, cause i have got it done on a 1zz-fe after 80k , on a 1sz-fe around 100k and on a blacktop 4AGE after 1 year of service.

1zz-fe seats are moulded into the head and canot be replaced but that is hardly the problem in cars having idling issues.

Newbie Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i have this altis but i didnt face this

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

this is called "hunting"... just go and get your throttle body tuned up.. it needs cleaning up.. your car would have its life back after the tuneup... trust me....
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    1ZZ-FE's manual tell you to replace the valve lifters. 35 different sizes of valve lifters are available which can be selected using a chart in the manual (or just common sense).

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/cor...se#post5135068

The problem i am facing is where to get it done in RWP / ISB. I have never been to local kharadiyas etc for engine work. and are these valve lifters readily available in the market?
    -

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List