Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Toyot 2.0D Hot Starting Issue

Dear Pak wheel members,
    I have Toyota corolla 2.0D 1998 model (indus), in the morning when I turn the key to start after the heater time finishes the car starts like awesome but when the car is hot after running few miles and if I stop at any shop and start without waiting for heater time the car takes more crankings and then starts also cranking is not strong, battery is new and maintained,
    2nd thing if in hot condition I wait for heater timer to finish and wait more 2 seconds then car starts better. what is the problem and in which sequence I should check the things?

Injectors had been replaced with genuine Denso injectors, pump was tested by a Diesel lab and they reported it is as good as new. The mileage on my car is about 200,000kms and offcourse there is blowby but there is not black/white or blue smoke and the car pick up is like I can easily catch many Xlis and Glis.

Click here for SOLUTION

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    you should not have any vacuum in the fuel tank, if you are seeing vacuum its a highly dangerous situation of the tank collapsing under vacuum from the injection pumps vane pump inside. I have seen a collapsed tank here in the US, it was a mercedes W123, 240D and the tank was literally smashed, only due to a blocked vent.

and you buy the caltex coolant as concentrate and distilled water separately, mix and use.
    Dear Xulfiqar, Please guide me that do I need to deblock a small pin hole in the fuel cap or that vent is located some where else. I may buy a new fuel cap from Toyota if this is the culprit for vacuum.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the vent should be built into the cap as there is no other vent - and the cap should specifically for a diesel version, it should say diesel on it. Clean it out with a brush or something.

btw how often do you drain the sediment filter in your car?
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ok I will clean the pin hole otherwise I will buy the same one from toyota, to be honest I do not drain sediment filter (are you asking about Fuel filter) as the drain valve and water level switch was broken when I bought the car and now I am not able to find its spare, sometime I will ask toyota about it, last time I changed fuel filter with gaurd but then air lock problem and cold start problem started then I installed a transparent tube after filter as I could see air bubbles, then after that resolved the problem by using proper clamps.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Dear Mr.Xulfiqar

My brother checked my 2.0D today to a good and clean workshop in lahore they say pump is fine as if we switch off the hot engine and immediately start it so it starts quickly but if we wait for 10 minutes or more then it takes crankings,

2nd thing pls., guide me that without opening the pump can we service the cold advancer plunger without removing the pump from engine?

pls., guide me
    we should be proud of safe driving.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1018 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Guru You are tempting me to GET a Diesel vehicle, it will be fun & adventure to explore & do experiments on a diesel motor
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by imran2d View Post
    My brother checked my 2.0D today to a good and clean workshop in lahore they say pump is fine as if we switch off the hot engine and immediately start it so it starts quickly but if we wait for 10 minutes or more then it takes crankings,

2nd thing pls., guide me that without opening the pump can we service the cold advancer plunger without removing the pump from engine?

pls., guide me
    yes you can unbolt that cold start plunger from the pump on a 2C diesel, as it sits facing the front of the car, its the thing with coolant lines going to it, remove and derust it, test it with hot water and free it up so it extends when hot. Your problem is due to the cold start advance, the pump is working fine internally.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post
    Guru You are tempting me to GET a Diesel vehicle, it will be fun & adventure to explore & do experiments on a diesel motor
    hehe

Its a disease that will completely change your way of life. trust me, and specially if you experience german diesels, you are done. You will have to eat at Fujiyama to think about Japanese technology. Otherwise you will pass them off.

But for starters, get yourself a toy, e.g. a charade Turbo diesel (sasta and tikaao) then rework it back to its glory, Even that little mighty mouse engine is something.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

hehe

Its a disease that will completely change your way of life. trust me, and specially if you experience german diesels, you are done. You will have to eat at Fujiyama to think about Japanese technology. Otherwise you will pass them off.

But for starters, get yourself a toy, e.g. a charade Turbo diesel (sasta and tikaao) then rework it back to its glory, Even that little mighty mouse engine is something.
    I will service that cold advance plunger soon as I am expected to go home by this month end,

just for knowledge pls., tell me the difference in japnese diesels,American diesels and german diesels, I know germans are founder of this engine but american diesels are very quiet the sound is very amazing, I have a dream to see the monster diesel engine with more than 100,000 horse power moving the biggest container carrier ship in the world.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If you think American diesels are good, you need to see proper european diesel engines. Americans are always late in development.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

interesting discussion with diesel working details

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

That was only my perception, I know audi , Volks Wagon, BMW, Mercedes benz, MAN has done a lot on diesel engine to make it more quiet and to meet Euro 4 standards,

I see Peugeot 307 CDI in Qatar, very fine engine. even some person from Czechoslovakia met me he told that he has very old 2000cc Skoda diesel car that goes 100kms in only 4 liter fuel, very impressive for me.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ahm ahm can i enter the ring? Have Nissan diesel 2001 B14 that Xulfiqar Bhai knows better than what i know. My car also had the same problem that you are facing. Unfortunately, I was unable to fix the cold start device but managed to properly time the engine, which resolved the hot starting issue completely. Now in morning car starts at half self after pre-glow and once engine is hot, i barely wait for heater and crank the engine, which starts as quickly as it does in morning.

You may visit the Denso authorized shops identified by Xulfiqar Bhai and get the pump and nozzles properly calibrated. If you could get hold of dial gauge, you can time your engine exactly as it was timed by factory when the car first rolled out. This will reduce blow by and help in the starting problems.

I really enjoy my ride specially at Highway where no XLI and GLI can dare to run with it.

Cheers

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by imran2d View Post
    That was only my perception, I know audi , Volks Wagon, BMW, Mercedes benz, MAN has done a lot on diesel engine to make it more quiet and to meet Euro 4 standards,

I see Peugeot 307 CDI in Qatar, very fine engine. even some person from Czechoslovakia met me he told that he has very old 2000cc Skoda diesel car that goes 100kms in only 4 liter fuel, very impressive for me.
    I had a car in Karachi that also ran 100 kms in 4 litres of diesel. , and I could school all the mummy daddy Honda civic and toyota corolla kids all the way long.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Dani80pk View Post
    ahm ahm can i enter the ring? Have Nissan diesel 2001 B14 that Xulfiqar Bhai knows better than what i know. My car also had the same problem that you are facing. Unfortunately, I was unable to fix the cold start device but managed to properly time the engine, which resolved the hot starting issue completely. Now in morning car starts at half self after pre-glow and once engine is hot, i barely wait for heater and crank the engine, which starts as quickly as it does in morning.

You may visit the Denso authorized shops identified by Xulfiqar Bhai and get the pump and nozzles properly calibrated. If you could get hold of dial gauge, you can time your engine exactly as it was timed by factory when the car first rolled out. This will reduce blow by and help in the starting problems.

I really enjoy my ride specially at Highway where no XLI and GLI can dare to run with it.

Cheers
    Nissan CD20 vs toyota 2C is like bad competition, you know a 2C is not that eager to move no matter if its life depended on it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Cheers
    Thanks for sharing your experience, yes Engine Timing and tappet clearence adjustment came in our discussion but Mr.Xulfiqar is emphasizing on the Cold start advance plunger servicing (mechanic call it choke) so first I will do that and then I will do other things, but last time when we replaced the timing belt, mechanic did not move the engine at all just replaced the belt with care but if any movement came during the job that could be a possibility.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Nissan CD20 vs toyota 2C is like bad competition, you know a 2C is not that eager to move no matter if its life depended on it.
    Since the time I bought Nissan, every one has been saying that its a failure specially cd20 engine and 2C is a better choice except you. I never bothered to go into why is that so but now I would like you to say some words in this respect. Why a CD20 is better than 2C or 2D and what is the difference between the two which makes one better than the other?? I have gone through specs of both engines at internet and found them to share almost same specs like both produces 75hp at same rpms and produce 132Nm torque and that too at same rpms then what makes cd20 better in your eyes. In last many months where ever i have gone, I had to listen, "cd20 is very difficult and 2C is great and easy engine". Your remarks please. regards

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Since the time I bought Nissan, every one has been saying that its a failure specially cd20 engine and 2C is a better choice except you. I never bothered to go into why is that so but now I would like you to say some words in this respect. Why a CD20 is better than 2C or 2D and what is the difference between the two which makes one better than the other?? I have gone through specs of both engines at internet and found them to share almost same specs like both produces 75hp at same rpms and produce 132Nm torque and that too at same rpms then what makes cd20 better in your eyes. In last many months where ever i have gone, I had to listen, "cd20 is very difficult and 2C is great and easy engine". Your remarks please. regards
    Let us wait for the Reply of Mr.Xulfiqar, but one of my friend bought an old Nissan Sunny 2.0D its engine was smoking and giving problems so mechanic replaced the engine with a kabli engine and they say that Nissan CD20 gets overheated most of the times, but my idea is that when mechanics overhaul the engine they go for cyclinder bore and sleeve job then they are not able to machine it properly and the clearence is kept as per their experience so afterwards overheating issues start. otherwise Nissan is also a very big competitor of Toyota in the world.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The engine is quite compact as a package compared to a toyota, it revs faster and its transmission greatly compliments the engine torque band. Above all its quieter and has excellent fuel economy to boot.

the reason why mechanics consider it a failure is that it requires some procedures to repair e.g. the correct alignment of the timing belts - as there are no marks for them, the marks are on the belts. The cooling system needs to be purged of air bubbles when filling (we love to open up the radiator cap in Pakistan every hour of every day).

There are some complications in toyota 2C too, e.g. changing the water pump requires you to unmount the injection pump, the waterpump housing is what holds the pump to the engine (daft design IMO)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar
    Sir! I'm getting a Charade 82 (very old shape, 1st generation I think) with diesel turbo engine. The engine looks good but it needs overhaul as the owner says. I'm going to buy my first car (now i'm on bike ) and I know this is a DISPOSAL car; zero resale value but the owner is asking only 70 thousands and car is not in very bad shape. So what do you recommend? If I buy it, will it remain in my budget? Diesel is expected to touch 130 rupees (my friend told me) at the end 2012 and need to change engine oil after 3000kms but big advantage is no waiting for CNG and free diggi lol
    Thanks in Adv@ncE!
    Regards!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers