0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Engine optimization Corolla 2.0D

I am posting you 2 pictures. These were taken at higher resolution but have been scaled down by the website.

Engine optimization Corolla 2.0D - amcolian1097 albums mycar picture6532 2

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/mem...ture6531-1.jpg

In the first one you see 2 plungers one is that of CSD (the one in depth) and I wanted to know the function of the second one. Both were marked by me as plunger1 &2 but due to resizing the font is too small to read.

In the second picture there is an adjustment screw which is lying loose and I want you to please tell me its function and what to do with it?

Fiinally of course please tell me the the correct way to release the CSD.

BTW my mechanic is far from competent. That is why I want that I should be aware of what needs to be done and how is that to be done. I will just ask him to do what I would learn from you.

Thanks.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^^ Black smoke is emitted only on initial startup, later its bluish smoke which continues for quite some time. However on running for about 3-4 KM it disappears since the car attains optimum temp by that time.
    I have observed the CSD at both cold and hot engines and found that there is absolutely no change in its position, thereby my inference is, it is not working.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

you are getting 12 to 13.5 Km per litter with this situation , it mean you can add couple more after precision tuning ,,,,,,,,,,i think the expert desel mechanics are at truck stands ,,,,,,,,,,like peer wadahi in pindi/isl , there will be couple of desel labs , couple of days before i met a guy who owns toyota townace and he told me a mechanic near mareer choke ,where there are lot of allighnment and balancing shops ,,,,,,,,,,,i will go there for allighnment and balancing job and then i will search for it ,,,,,,,,,but my car not giving any black or blue smoke ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yesterday i observed all that in early moring cold start ,,,,,,,,,,,i always let the heater swtich off and then crank,,,,,,,,,,,
    Quote Originally Posted by amcolian1097 View Post
    I am getting good consumption so far.
    Average in city is 12-13.5 per litre while on long route I get 17-18 per litre. As far as smoke is concerned I am experiencing black smoke in the morning but I have yet to find time to check the thermostat valve function, nozzle cleaning with liqui moly purge and tappet clearance setting. Can you guide me to a good mechanic for these jobs?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^^Well I am really happy with the consumption but the smoke does bother me. I do intend to get precision tuning done but not at the hands of a novice or anyone who does not want to go by the book. The problem I see here is when you try to discuss technical details with any any mechanic they start avoiding you. Either they don't have any cognizant technical know how or their knowledge is limited to hear-say and they don't like argument of a non-technical user. So if you come across a mechanic who is logical, do share the information with me.
    I know a mechanic who is a bit logical in approach and listens to what the customer says. Being educated his tech understanding is also better than others but I have always seen him working on petrol vehicles and I am not confidant about his capabilities on diesel. Moreover he is a bit careless chap so you have to stand by him all the time. I intended meeting him today but when I called him, he was having a day off. So I hope seeing him tomorrow. Will share the details, if anything positive or relevant.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@amcolian1097please let me know where to get tappet adjustment job done for 2.0D from rawalpindi? I shall be thankful.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AmeerUsman View Post
    @amcolian1097please let me know where to get tappet adjustment job done for 2.0D from rawalpindi? I shall be thankful.
    Sure I will as soon as I find out myself. I am in search of a good mechanic (seems hard to find).

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

well dear when it comes to deal with mechanics ,,,,,,,,,,,i really have a very very bad temperament,,,,,,i guess its batter you collect some proper tools and do all that on your own ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Quote Originally Posted by amcolian1097 View Post
    ^^Well I am really happy with the consumption but the smoke does bother me. I do intend to get precision tuning done but not at the hands of a novice or anyone who does not want to go by the book. The problem I see here is when you try to discuss technical details with any any mechanic they start avoiding you. Either they don't have any cognizant technical know how or their knowledge is limited to hear-say and they don't like argument of a non-technical user. So if you come across a mechanic who is logical, do share the information with me.
    I know a mechanic who is a bit logical in approach and listens to what the customer says. Being educated his tech understanding is also better than others but I have always seen him working on petrol vehicles and I am not confidant about his capabilities on diesel. Moreover he is a bit careless chap so you have to stand by him all the time. I intended meeting him today but when I called him, he was having a day off. So I hope seeing him tomorrow. Will share the details, if anything positive or relevant.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i am observing this yellow indication of fuel in my speedo since last day ,,,,,,,,,,,,i guess its an indication for water inside fuel filter ,,,,,,,,,,,,i try to purge it out through the prime lever on fuel filter but couldnt able to unscrew the drain plug at its botton ,,,,,,,,i couldnt grip that plug and also cant visually inpect that ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,while messing with it i observe another things ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,radiator inlet pipe was squeezed because of vacum inside it ,,,,,,,,,,,,also the radiator reservor was above the full mark,,,,,,,,,,it means the cap is not working properlly ,,,,,,,,,,,
    Engine optimization Corolla 20D -1073308Engine optimization Corolla 20D -1073309Engine optimization Corolla 20D -1073311

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You must clean CSD before with pure vinegar(hot is better) or with mixture of water with acid.If it work you have to see big improvement on economy and not only.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the light is of the sedimenter, unscrew the bottom tap of the filter and let it drain, once it is empty, tighten back and pump the primer till its hard and start the engine - hold about 10% pedal for a few seconds so it does not stall out.

That radiator pipe is normal, infact it is ensuring the system is completely leak free and can hold a vacuum when its shut down. You can insert a brass spring in the pipe to keep it round or replace the pipe with a new part. Dont think that its a fault. And as angeldust shows, the CSD is mandatory for good economical driving and smoothness.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

what is this CSD and how to service it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,today i drain the fuel filter , i couldnt able to open the drain plug so i remove the entire cap ,,,,,,,,around half litter desel spills from it ,,,,,,,,,,drain pipe was also missing ,,,,,,,,,Engine optimization Corolla 20D -1074210Engine optimization Corolla 20D -1074211

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

btw i think I suffered blindness, that yellow lamp is the low fuel lamp, the sedimenter lamp has a tub with a drop of water symbol.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^^
    Does it happen to you as well. I was amazed to see your previous comment on the indicator, but stayed quiet just because I thought I might be wrong.

I saw my mech on Saturday and asked him to make CSD operational but he was reluctant to remove and clean it. He tried to make it work by lubricating it with a drop of oil but there was no improvement. Now I wanted to ask How to do it myself. Does it require any special tools or the usual ones will work ( I have a good set of normal tools) because it also includes removal of a high tension spring and I am a bit confused if I will be able to fix it back once I have done the cleaning of the plunger.

Another thing he did was that he reduced the fuel supply a bit which reduced the smoke at normal temp but increased morning smoke till the car attains optimum temp. The pick has also improved a bit.

I also discussed the tappet adjustment with him and he was fully conversant with the replacement shims but suggested not to go for tappet adjustment as this was not required in his opinion. So, What are the signs of requirement of tappet adjustment?

The heaters were checked and found glowing perfectly well, so he attributed long cranking in the morning to less glow time and suggested to increase the timing of heater but when the electrician was contacted he said that timing on these cars is factory preset and can't be altered (presently the heater light glows for 6 seconds). Is it so?

Any suggestions / recommendations regarding CSD and Heater timings, please?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@amcolian1097
    When cold engine vibrates for some time just after starting, then this is the indication of unadjusted tappets. This is the condition of my 2.0D 2001 110,000 km driven. I talked to my mechanic and he said that he would do this job in 1500~2000 Rs, but this work may involve some lapping work on engine head which will be done by "kharadiya". Hence, I decided not to go for this work in order to avoid any other problem.

@Xulfiqar
    Please suggest whether above procedure is correct or not and I can do tappet adjustment of my 2C myself?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^^ yes I do suffer it, usually get pestered at work and then some, anyways - the CSD is operated by engine coolant, just like your main thermostat, you need to clean it with some mild acid like hot vinegar or citric acid, Yes you can remove it from the pump, its not that difficult in a 2C. There is an entire series of levers it pushes and pulls to control rpm and the arm below it rotates the timing cam plate in the pump to work the timing.

The "smoke" screw what you are calling is actually main fuel load screw and it should never be fiddled with unless the pump is on a test rig, it can throw the pump off calibration really badly. That is why that screw is protected with a locking sleeve from the factory.

The valve clearance is a job done on every timing belt change, its ideal to change out all valve seals too, very easy on such diesel engines - just requires a lever tool to press the valve springs. Makes sure the engine can breathe properly. Otherwise you will experience, smoke, low power, high consumption, noise, backwash through the air filter etc.

The glow timing is set by the engine coolant temperature sensor, the morning glow of 7 seconds is more like 12 seconds, the light goes out at 7 and the relay stays on till 12, its a function built into all factory preglow systems. The plugs also glow when you are cranking the engine.

The engine will start in the morning on first key attempt with healthy compression (make sure valve tappets are set), good glow plugs and correct pump timing and if your starter, wires and battery are good.

You will not require to wait for the glow lamp when the engine is warmed up, it should start very easily.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yeah you right , that indicator was of low fuel warning ,,,,,,,,,,,i fill it with 2K desel and drove around 220 km before next refil , this light come on at around 150km ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i noticed it on 190km and further drive 30km before refil ,,,,,,,,,,if its a reserve sigh then i must say that 2D have a good capacity of reserve fuel in tank ,,,,,,,,,,,,,another thing which confuses ,,,,,,,,,,,,,you ever noticed that hand break and break oil low warning both share the same light in speedo meter ,,,,,,,,,,atleast it is in most cars of pak,,,,,,,,,,so i thought may be low fuel warning and water in fuel filter also share same indication light ,,,,,,,,any how i am strugling with 2D,,,,,,,,,,
    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    btw i think I suffered blindness, that yellow lamp is the low fuel lamp, the sedimenter lamp has a tub with a drop of water symbol.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by agoodfriend View Post
    yeah you right , that indicator was of low fuel warning ,,,,,,,,,,,i fill it with 2K desel and drove around 220 km before next refil , this light come on at around 150km ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i noticed it on 190km and further drive 30km before refil ,,,,,,,,,,if its a reserve sigh then i must say that 2D have a good capacity of reserve fuel in tank ,,,,,,,,,,,,,another thing which confuses ,,,,,,,,,,,,,you ever noticed that hand break and break oil low warning both share the same light in speedo meter ,,,,,,,,,,atleast it is in most cars of pak,,,,,,,,,,so i thought may be low fuel warning and water in fuel filter also share same indication light ,,,,,,,,any how i am strugling with 2D,,,,,,,,,,
    The brake fluid and parking brake lamp is shared in nearly every car of the world.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AmeerUsman View Post
    @amcolian1097
    When cold engine vibrates for some time just after starting, then this is the indication of unadjusted tappets. This is the condition of my 2.0D 2001 110,000 km driven. I talked to my mechanic and he said that he would do this job in 1500~2000 Rs, but this work may involve some lapping work on engine head which will be done by "kharadiya". Hence, I decided not to go for this work in order to avoid any other problem.

@Xulfiqar
    Please suggest whether above procedure is correct or not and I can do tappet adjustment of my 2C myself?
    The lathe wala technique is bad news as they grind down the valve stems, the valves are case hardened items and have a very hard "skin" on them to prevent mushrooming from the tappet hammering action, The grinding removes such hardening. Similarly the valve shims are also case hardened and should never be lapped.

The only correct, reliable and long life way is to replace the under/oversized shims - if the shims are really out of spec then the lifters need to be inspected, they also collapse.

If would cost you a little money in Pakistan to make the pressing lever tool made, you need flat steel plates, an angle iron and a something round like a cut up busted old ring spanner to press the valve retainer to remove the springs.

In an IDI diesel like the 2C when the piston is at TDC for a cylinder and you release the valve spring collets (locks) the valves will sit on the piston top and stay there, while you can then change the valve seals and change the tappet shims.

Its very good economical practice to do all this at the timing belt change period, as you need to remove the T belt to remove the camshaft to replace the shims unless you have the toyota bucket depress tool. The engine becomes ready for reliable service for a very long time after this.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Xulfiqar Bhai!
    Thanks for ur reply.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

first oil change , i use delo gold 15w-40 and guard oil filter , the previous oil filter was of Leppon and malaysian made , car was tunned by toyota 3s and i think they use this brand and also they put a sticker which shows last oil change date and odd reading , and its in japanese language , i have observed one thing that replaced engine oil was very thick and full of carbon ,
    Engine optimization Corolla 20D -1082746Engine optimization Corolla 20D -1082747Engine optimization Corolla 20D -1082748Engine optimization Corolla 20D -1082749Engine optimization Corolla 20D -1082750

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

diesel engine oil is supposed to be black, its a quality of the oil to keep soot suspended in it as these engines do make a lot of soot when running. Always drain the oil when its at full temperature, this makes sure that all carbon soot is in the oil and not left in your sump.

This oil filter made by guard is pretty ok, unless they have changed their quality since i left Pakistan. You can also buy an equivalent MANN, donaldson, etc filter for it. 5000 kms oil change is what is recommended unless you like to burn your money.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

User Tag List