1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Civic vs. Corolla: Parts and Accessories

Sorry if the post is not well placed. My ratio is low so I am not allowed to start a thread on the buying/selling forum. My query is also rather technical so I thought to post on this forum.

I am planning to buy a new car. I have been looking at both Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla (95 to 2k models). I have found many excellent Civic 95 (my preferred model) around 500k but friends are suggesting I go for the Corolla. They say that Honda, while cheaper, comes with huge repair costs. Corolla is rather expensive but parts are cheaper and is easier to maintain. Given that the cars are already way past their "jawani", repairs are not unexpected. Which one should I buy? My buget is 700k max.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    I have personally owned, driven, repaired, serviced a 3rd gen Honda Accord for eons, That car is legendary for taking punishment and still charging ahead of the pack. Honda in their heyday built some really tough cars - and the older civics/integras with the signature honda double wishbone suspension are one of those.

Now the problem comes in servicing it, its got a myriad of rubber bushings on which all the suspension rides on. If you spray oil under your car kiss them good bye and plan on a giant expense very soon. if you did replace them and forgot to preload the suspension before tightening all bolts kiss your money spent and bushes good bye.

This is similar for a toyota but it does not use such a staggering amount of bushings etc, but in all similarity if you dont pay attention to service techniques you are already dead in the water no matter if you own a toyota, honda or even MB.
    Thanks for your response. Is Civic 95, an 8th Gen car, as sturdy as the 3rd Gen you mentioned?

Sure, service is the key. My query was related to affordability and durability. A car that will be driven by a couple of people -- a typical family car -- that can last two to three years without major problems and still has reasonable resale value. I am not a fan of Margalla and Cultus is small for our family. So the options are limited to Corolla, Civic and Sunny. Baleno is also an option but I've not received positive response on this car. As I mentioned in my first post, my budget is 700k max.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You'll get a 95 Civic well under 700k. The CA Accord has a similar suspension setup of that of an EG Civic, with minor changes.

EG Civics are really durable, no problem there, affordability is not an issue either although it depends on personal factors, but since you have a budget of 700k, you'll have enough money left to get the car on the road without any major problems for at least 5 years.

I agree with Xulfiqar that the Honda suspension uses several rubber bushings, you need to keep a record of their condition otherwise your suspension and axles can let you down, I say this with experience as I had the CA Accord that Xulfiqar had and it's true that you have to maintain it properly and use quality replacement parts to stay out of trouble, otherwise there's no chance you'll have a trouble free car regardless of the make.
    City SX8 - Civic ES - Accord SiR CF4 F20B
    Build Threads http://ow.ly/cZpvx and http://ow.ly/cZpDb

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i myself own 95 civic, well as other said that there are alot of rubber bushes, but trust me if u had done the suspension work with oem parts and good mechanic, you will be free from such work for atleast 4-5 years , but your driving matters+road condition where u drive mostly.
    Best part about EG is you can easily put parts of civic 97-2000 model in it,
    brakes pads, calipers, shocks, window motors, etc, rest the engine Bay is same too, if u ever plan for the swap then your can put bolt on Dseries engine in it.
    Another best part is, there is hell of variety of jdm parts, cz this model is still in the hands of jdm guys.
    so i prefer civic, easy to maintain, low cost, low labour cost, large amount of parts available, easily to swap parts of other EG's too.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

dear , my brother was in favor of Nissan sunny ,due to its tough interior , and of course rock hard exterior , but when i looked for it in the market of Karachi i hardly found two ,
    therefore we discarded this option , as it will cause even more difficulty in sale of such a rare make and Suzuki was not our preferable make for obvious reasons....
    feel free to contact........

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Rock hard exterior means high chances of death or serious injuries upon impact.

It's the mindset here that rock hard exterior or 'mazboot chaaadar' means a car is better, however it's mostly the opposite case.
    City SX8 - Civic ES - Accord SiR CF4 F20B
    Build Threads http://ow.ly/cZpvx and http://ow.ly/cZpDb

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by minpaj View Post
    Yes, I am getting much better response on Corolla but it is too costly. What is your opinion about 2.0D of 1997-2000? It is under my range but what about repair costs and consumption? Any ideas?
    if you run your car on cng than 2od is expensies for you but if you run on petrol then go for 2od.diesel is 4rs expenses than petrol but a well maintained 2od gives you a better milage with alot of torque and power.2od is the best.rest the choice is your.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@poster try using search feature,similar topic has been discussed many times.
    @topic look,if we do an apple to apple comparison of both i.e civic 95 aka dolphin and corolla indus shape,(well you are looking for 2.OD i presume) if yes then there is no way you can save yourself from spending continuously on engine specially,as old 2.OD=everyday punga.
    regarding drive,ive kept both,there is no comparison for sure between both,civic is better than corolla if you talk about drive,grip,accleration,cornering,braking etc etc etc.
    a good civic over any rolla anytime anyday imo.
    if you still dint get it i'l explain further.
    ''Peace is an unstable equilibrium,that can only be preserved by acknowledged supremacy and...equal power.'' ''We give up the fort when there is not a man left to defend it.''

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

how is a used 2.0D an everyday punga?
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yea yea yea i know diesels are gr8 motors,but in PAKISTAN we have this 2c aka 2d engine,i own one of them fortunately,its 278k driven,got it completely overhauled at 170k,on the other hand i have a d15b 4th gen civic,which is like 240k driven,still the d15 is in immaculate condition.
    diesel=noise=smoke=requires more $$$$$$ to keep it happily working.
    ''Peace is an unstable equilibrium,that can only be preserved by acknowledged supremacy and...equal power.'' ''We give up the fort when there is not a man left to defend it.''

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

and yes most of the ''used'' 2c's cause punga because majority of them are found weak,startup issues,runing problems bla bla bla.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the fighting to start, smokey, rattly diesel engine problem is usually bad adjustments not problems that are voodoo.

Diesel engines are very very tough and durable, but require a level headed driver, meaning do not start and go out full rpm driving unless the engine is at normal temperature and stabilized.

By your statement it seems that your idea of maintenance is flawed, let me give you an example, if you have a Ariston or Indesit Front load full automatic washing machine and appoint a gali ki dukaan handyman to fix it who does not know its working intricacies - do not expect for it to last long.

Or if you have a meat locker that cannot control subcooling as per spec and get zabardast AC karigar to fix it who does not vacuum the system or does not pay attention to gas load by subcooling and superheat to fine tune the unit, Dont expect the meat locker to 'freeze' meat.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    the fighting to start, smokey, rattly diesel engine problem is usually bad adjustments not problems that are voodoo.

Diesel engines are very very tough and durable, but require a level headed driver, meaning do not start and go out full rpm driving unless the engine is at normal temperature and stabilized.

By your statement it seems that your idea of maintenance is flawed, let me give you an example, if you have a Ariston or Indesit Front load full automatic washing machine and appoint a gali ki dukaan handyman to fix it who does not know its working intricacies - do not expect for it to last long.

Or if you have a meat locker that cannot control subcooling as per spec and get zabardast AC karigar to fix it who does not vacuum the system or does not pay attention to gas load by subcooling and superheat to fine tune the unit, Dont expect the meat locker to 'freeze' meat.

Dear Xulfiqar bhai, I talk in the above context and ask you that how do you compare the maintenace cost of a diesel corolla and a petrol corolla over the year and what needs to be done at every 5000km service on a diesel corolla to keep it in good shape?(somewhere I heard that diesel can go as long as 400,000km or more without overhaul if maintained well)

secondly pls., explain that is this new common rail fuel injection system reliable as the old system or it has more electronic failures or pump or injector failures, some one tells me that Toyota vigo shows more injector porblems so pls., explain about this.
    we should be proud of safe driving.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List