Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Toyota Corolla GLi 09 AC problem

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    rehanalvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    153
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Toyota Corolla GLi 09 AC problem

    Hi guys ..

    Was out shopping today at COSMO, Jinnah Park. Begum was inside and I was sitting the kids in the car. AC was on and I was just driving around in the compound to keep the cabin chilled.

    Then, all of a sudden, a strange slight noise started coming from the engine and when I revved up, it would increase. I checked it up and found that it was the AC (sound vanished with AC turned off)
    The car was feeling a bit more heavy on the accelerator but cooling was perfect.

    So, took it to Toyota GT.

    Diagnosis:

    Complete AC system fouled up. Carbon in cooling lines.

    Remedy:

    Change everything. Estimate, 60-70k (plus the cardiologist's fee ... :s)

    Then I took the car to a local Ustaad (ex Toyota AC technician) ..

    Diagnosis:

    There can't be carbon in the cooling lines coz if there's even a tiny bit, the AC will not work due to some blocked nozzle or sumfin.

    There's a little noise coming from the compressor which is the same as the one that comes in Vitz

    Remedy:

    Enjoy the ride for now. Meanwhile, look for a Kabuli compressor and swap as these compressors can't be repaired. Rest is all fine.



    So, really confused ... Help required from my fellow pakwheelers ..


  2. #2
    PakWheeler Follow
    rehanalvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    153
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Went in the morning to Eastern Car AC, Saddar Rwp today.

    Compressor: Denso 447180-8720 (the one used in Corolla 07 and below) for Rs 22500/-

    Condenser: Toyota Genuine for Rs 6700/-

    Labour / System flush / Gas for Rs 5000/-

    ... Went About an hour ago to collect my car but cooling was not up to the standard .. The sight glass was showing milky stream of gas on idling and got black at 1800 RPM.

    The mechanic said that some valve is faulty which will cost an additional Rs 2500/-

    .. Left the car with him for the night in hope of some betterment .



    HELLPPPPPPPPP !!!

  3. #3
    PakWheeler Follow
    rehanalvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    153
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    It's nice having no help from your fellow pakwheelers when you're in need of it.

    AC is fine now.

  4. #4
    PakWheeler Follow
    masters1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    34
    Posts
    82
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    ^
    Almost same problem occurred to my uncle's car corolla 2007 xli last week(i.e. on 23rd June)... in Karachi and we also had to change the items u mentioned above. Toyota people at Central Motors given an estimate of around 60k...

    Compressor: Denso (Genuine) for Rs 21000/-

    Condenser: Toyota Genuine for Rs 5000/-

    Labour for Rs 2000/-

    Gas for Rs 3000

    Thanks

  5. #5
    PakWheeler Follow
    rehanalvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    153
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    How's it going now? My car's cooling fine but there are RPM issues. The RPM drops to 700 and then rises to 900 when the compressor turns on and the engine shakes a bit on idling. While running, the car gets a slight jolt when the compressor clutch disengages ..

    Searching for a solution ...

  6. #6
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    drtanveerali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Select City
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,305
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rehanalvi View Post
    How's it going now? My car's cooling fine but there are RPM issues. The RPM drops to 700 and then rises to 900 when the compressor turns on and the engine shakes a bit on idling. While running, the car gets a slight jolt when the compressor clutch disengages ..

    Searching for a solution ...
    Reset The ECU by taking out the port of wires on it and wait for 5 mins, then reinstall again. Ur RPM jerks will be fine.
    www.dr-tanveer.com

  7. #7
    PakWheeler Follow
    rehanalvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    153
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drtanveerali View Post
    Reset The ECU by taking out the port of wires on it and wait for 5 mins, then reinstall again. Ur RPM jerks will be fine.
    K sir .. Will try and let you know .. Thanx

  8. #8
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    fawadakbarkhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    100
    Posts
    6,218
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    52 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rehanalvi View Post
    How's it going now? My car's cooling fine but there are RPM issues. The RPM drops to 700 and then rises to 900 when the compressor turns on and the engine shakes a bit on idling. While running, the car gets a slight jolt when the compressor clutch disengages ..

    Searching for a solution ...
    This could be due to a possible refrigerant over charge. The compressor puts load on the engine and it stalls to lower rpms.

    once, i saw a local mechanic revving up a car v.hard with ac on. I asked about it, and he allowed me to peek inside the bay. With every rev, there were sparks from the compressor clutch. he said k compressor is actually refusing to move due to overcharge.

    Don't know if this revving thing is harmful for ur engine but I suggest u get it checked asap.

    Quote Originally Posted by drtanveerali View Post
    Reset The ECU by taking out the port of wires on it and wait for 5 mins, then reinstall again. Ur RPM jerks will be fine.
    please doc sb. not every God damn problem is related to an ecu reset.
    Agar chy bu'tt' hain Jama'at ki Aasteenon main - Mujhay Hai Hukm-e-Aazaan LA ILA HA ILL ALLAH...!

  9. #9
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,402
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    sparks from the compressor clutch??? that would ensure a very dead clutch in short time, the magnet coil would work but the pressure plate will slip on the pulley hub and cause the compressor to spin slow - it will be shut down by the A/C controller due to rpm mismatch.btw dr sb, how can you reset this ecu by such a method? There is a thing called nonvolatile memory.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  10. #10
    PakWheeler Follow
    rehanalvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    153
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Hmmmm ... Fouled clutch and sparks from the clutch are not the problem here. Only the ones mentioned in above posts ..

    Can these issues to be an over tight belt???

  11. #11
    PakWheeler Follow
    rehanalvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    153
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    AC died again. Car going to the mechanic again tomorrow

  12. #12
    PakWheeler Follow
    rehanalvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    153
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Hellllpppppppp

  13. #13
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Vaqas1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    5,267
    Follows
    6
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    Hmm why didnt you installed the compressor that came in your car? I mean why chose an older model of 07 0r 08? As far as i know these older 07 model ones put little more load on engine than the new one.

    you have already spent a lot of money on this ac so its better to go back to the mechanic who fixed this. But getting it fixed from toyota on the first place might have been better.
    Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go.

  14. #14
    PakWheeler Follow
    rehanalvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    153
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Turned out to be a loose grip connector. Phew .......

  15. #15
    PakWheeler Follow
    rehanalvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    153
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    As far as the older version compressor is convened, the mechanic is of the opinion that the compressors being fitted in the newer Rollas have lesser MTBF and tend to fail more frequently as they start functioning with engine operation independent of the on/off status of the AC system, hence low life expectancy ..

    Whereas, the older compressors remain disengaged when the AC is off, thus increasing their life span ...

    I would love to be enlightened / educated on this issue ....

  16. #16
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Vaqas1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    5,267
    Follows
    6
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    Another stupid mechanic theory Anyways its good that its working again.
    Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go.

  17. #17
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,402
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rehanalvi View Post
    As far as the older version compressor is convened, the mechanic is of the opinion that the compressors being fitted in the newer Rollas have lesser MTBF and tend to fail more frequently as they start functioning with engine operation independent of the on/off status of the AC system, hence low life expectancy ..Whereas, the older compressors remain disengaged when the AC is off, thus increasing their life span ...I would love to be enlightened / educated on this issue ....
    hmm - so mechanic says that the new compressors work all time regardless of A/C requirement, - lets see here - Toyota have become complete paagalon ki aulad - that they threw out the compressor clutch idea. They should hire your A/C mechanic so they can actually save a lot of money.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  18. #18
    PakWheeler Follow
    rehanalvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    153
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    hmm - so mechanic says that the new compressors work all time regardless of A/C requirement, - lets see here - Toyota have become complete paagalon ki aulad - that they threw out the compressor clutch idea. They should hire your A/C mechanic so they can actually save a lot of money.
    Hmmm ... Im not advocating or advertising my mechanic here dude .. I just want to get an opinion ... OK .. The mechanic is an outright buffoon ... accepted .. but please let me know the difference between the older and the newer compressor .. Why has Toyota decided to discard the clutch system .. ? and what actually goes on in both the versions ??

    Annnnd .. another recommendation by the "Buffoon" .. he asked my to get my car's RPMs adjusted to 1000 on AC .. is that possible ???

    Guys, I'm really dumb when it comes to cars .. Sorry for the Jahalat is all that I can say and your Kind "Help and guidance" is all that I have to ask ..

    Peace out ..

  19. #19
    PakWheeler Follow
    rehanalvi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    35
    Posts
    153
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RollOnBigMaMa View Post
    This could be due to a possible refrigerant over charge. The compressor puts load on the engine and it stalls to lower rpms.

    once, i saw a local mechanic revving up a car v.hard with ac on. I asked about it, and he allowed me to peek inside the bay. With every rev, there were sparks from the compressor clutch. he said k compressor is actually refusing to move due to overcharge.

    Don't know if this revving thing is harmful for ur engine but I suggest u get it checked asap.


    please doc sb. not every God damn problem is related to an ecu reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    sparks from the compressor clutch??? that would ensure a very dead clutch in short time, the magnet coil would work but the pressure plate will slip on the pulley hub and cause the compressor to spin slow - it will be shut down by the A/C controller due to rpm mismatch.btw dr sb, how can you reset this ecu by such a method? There is a thing called nonvolatile memory.

    So ... should I go for an ECU reset ?? and if Yes, then how to ???


    Ty

  20. #20
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,402
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rehanalvi View Post
    Hmmm ... Im not advocating or advertising my mechanic here dude .. I just want to get an opinion ... OK .. The mechanic is an outright buffoon ... accepted .. but please let me know the difference between the older and the newer compressor .. Why has Toyota decided to discard the clutch system .. ? and what actually goes on in both the versions ??Annnnd .. another recommendation by the "Buffoon" .. he asked my to get my car's RPMs adjusted to 1000 on AC .. is that possible ???Guys, I'm really dumb when it comes to cars .. Sorry for the Jahalat is all that I can say and your Kind "Help and guidance" is all that I have to ask .. Peace out ..
    both have clutches, the only difference is the high temperature cut off and that the new ones are being built in Pakistan. The old ones were sourced from Denso Thailand. - the only A/C compressors with no clutch mechanism are the electric ones installed in electric hybrid vehicles. Your corolla is not hybrid.You cannot adjust the rpm setting in your engine, its determined by the ECU to compensate any load to 800 rpm at idle speed. The statement of rpm adjustment is also a red flag to stay away from said A/C technician, as he has no idea what he is talking about.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •