0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Altis exhaust resonance.

just bought the new 1.6 Altis. The exhaust resonates excessively between 2000-3000 rpm, making the engine feel rough. Anybody else notice this problem?

I had a similar problem back in 98 with the 1.6 gli. Indus mitigated the vibration by adding a clamp on weight to the exhaust pipping just behind the engine bay. 14 years later, they have the same problem!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Does it make a tinny hollow sound?? or low rumble in the cabin?? the very first VW Golfs addressed this problem with a clamp it was actually made up of 3 layers of springy steel bolted together with a spring washer, the ends of this device were clamped to the exhaust pipes which were at an angle, this removed the resonance they faced it was specially loud in the 1.5 diesel and the GTI too.

I believe this car also needs it or the weight thing (the corolla 2.0D air box also has such a weight)
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It's more of a low frequency rumble in the cabin. Could mislead you to thing engine not running smooth. I think it probably has to do with the exhaust system calibration, don't think indus folks would be using different exhausts on their cars, all probably the same, with very little engineering and check gone into material and quality control.

So i'm guessing it's not a common issue - ahh, meaning indus won't really entertain without a fight.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List