Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default T-Belt & Periodic Maintenance for Corolla 2.0D 2006: Help Sought

Gents and enthusiasts,

Since relocating to Pakistan I have invested in a used 2006 Toyota Corolla 2.0D Saloon.

The meter read 80k kms when bought and the car was very well looked after.
    To cut the long story short, I have kept the car is a very desirable condition and now the clock reads just over 110,000kms.

So far the car has shown no sign of ageing and runs perfect. The car has had brakes and tyres replaced. No other work has been carried out.

Whenever I visit Toyota Islamabad (located on Service Rd. i-9) I am suggested to replace t-belt and "nozzles".

Personally I do not feel the car is asking for any of the suggested treatment.

I would like to know your views (2.0D keepers and enthusiasts) about the situation.

Shall I risk getting the t-belt and/or "nozzles" replaced?

Further information:
    The car is driven within the twin cities with odd trips to Lahore and Murree once in a quarter. Stock size tyres.
    Genuine Toyota Engine Oil Filter (3500kms) + Air Filter (when blows black smoke) replacements are used.
    Caltex Delo Gold Engine Lubricant usage.
    Average annual usage is 20,000kms.
    REV is kept under 3000.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

≈ bump ≈

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

or kisi cheeze ko replace ya change na kro only change t-belt. becoze t-belt change every 80.000 km .

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Do nothing, i have the same case but mine is XLI and its over 130K driven, only rims tyres are changed and one spark plug, if it runs perfect then run it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I will suggest the change of T-Belt as well as T-stat + Waterbody (OEM only get these from Toyota service center0. The FACTORY fitted can be kept as emergency spares for the next 100K kms.

Even a radiator service is recommended with coolant replacement.
    OEM Plugs, Brake fluid FLUSH, GearOil change, Fuel filter change if not done within Your ownership (Or invoiced history) will be a considerable action too.
    Have no idea of nozzles; injectors? If their are no symptoms for bad fueling/low mileage even after above maintenance then let is foul before replacement. May consider Throttle body service + optionally add injector cleaner additive if u really love ur car. do it BEFORE fuel filter replacement if you feel going for it.

There should be maintenance schedule in the owners manual of the car you may want to follow!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear what is your routine of engine oil change interval ?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Genuine Toyota Engine Oil Filter (3500kms) Hope this is with oil change! and not doing it after 8-10K km.
    10K is the case then personally i suggest replacing Oil+Filter every 3- 5 K with cheaper (shell red + guard filter)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Muhd_saddique View Post
    Dear what is your routine of engine oil change interval ?
    3500-5000kms.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mag88 View Post
    I will suggest the change of T-Belt as well as T-stat + Waterbody (OEM only get these from Toyota service center0. The FACTORY fitted can be kept as emergency spares for the next 100K kms.

Even a radiator service is recommended with coolant replacement.
    OEM Plugs, Brake fluid FLUSH, GearOil change, Fuel filter change if not done within Your ownership (Or invoiced history) will be a considerable action too.
    Have no idea of nozzles; injectors? If their are no symptoms for bad fueling/low mileage even after above maintenance then let is foul before replacement. May consider Throttle body service + optionally add injector cleaner additive if u really love ur car. do it BEFORE fuel filter replacement if you feel going for it.

There should be maintenance schedule in the owners manual of the car you may want to follow!
    Thanks for the detailed reply.
    Pardon my ignorance, what is t-stat and waterbody?

I have had fuel filter replaced. Nothing apart from that.

How do I know it is the time for OEM plugs, brake fluid and gearoil replacement?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i have 2004 Xli and it does not have timing belt..It has timing chain...I dont know abt 2D...Get it confirmed!
    If u have enemies---GOOD---It means u stood up for something!!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sir only replace timing belt and diesel filter, u have to do so after 80k km and diesel cars dont have spark plugs

Sent from my MT11i
    Ministry of MAFIA!

12. 30-07-2012, 05:53 PM

Site Banned

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

T-Belt & Periodic Maintenance for Corolla 2.0D 2006: Help Sought - 6254204826 f5ee3f00b9 bT-Belt & Periodic Maintenance for Corolla 2.0D 2006: Help Sought - 6254190144 238e7f1716 b
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The timing belt should be changed every 100,000 kms - no matter if it looks very nice, when it snaps you will be buying 8 new valves and a new camshaft along with T belt, rollers and tensioner assembly. When the belt is replaced it is very good practice to replace the water pump and thermostat valve and fill the system with new fresh coolant.

The fiddly bit is setting the injection pump timing - it requires a dial gauge to be perfect, Before handing over your car speak to the service manager and ask them to show you the dial gauge, if they dont have it or try to talk their way out of it, leave and never trust them for any sort of maintenance including just opening the bonnet. If they do have the dial gauge, then only agree to the change, otherwise the change will be as good as a roadside mechanic will do.

The nozzles are good for about 200,000 kms, if the engine can idle smoothly when hot the nozzles are pretty much in good shape.

In short - Your T belt time is up and is now running on borrowed time.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    The timing belt should be changed every 100,000 kms - no matter if it looks very nice, when it snaps you will be buying 8 new valves and a new camshaft along with T belt, rollers and tensioner assembly. When the belt is replaced it is very good practice to replace the water pump and thermostat valve and fill the system with new fresh coolant.

The fiddly bit is setting the injection pump timing - it requires a dial gauge to be perfect, Before handing over your car speak to the service manager and ask them to show you the dial gauge, if they dont have it or try to talk their way out of it, leave and never trust them for any sort of maintenance including just opening the bonnet. If they do have the dial gauge, then only agree to the change, otherwise the change will be as good as a roadside mechanic will do.

The nozzles are good for about 200,000 kms, if the engine can idle smoothly when hot the nozzles are pretty much in good shape.

In short - Your T belt time is up and is now running on borrowed time.
    Dear Xulfiqar,
    Though I am sure, here toyota 2.0D is under discussion, but I have a question related to my Rexton RX320 (Gasoline) that I feel little fluctuation while hot idle, it sometimes varies from 10 to 20 RPM I guess by looking at RPM indicator, pls., guide me wheather it is time to think about my injectors to look at or some other problem can cause it, it is just my feeling as I observe engine sound while keeping the hood open,the engine is inline 6 cylinder,I checked other rexton very smooth and constant stroke at hot idle. Pls., explain.
    we should be proud of safe driving.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default finally...

Finally I am taking my car to Toyota Islamabad (i-9 Islamabad) to replace the t-belt.
    I am told by Toyota officials not to get anything else replaced unless required at the moment. I asked the service manager about replacing water pump and thermostat value. He says that has nothing to do with the t-belt changing and I shouldnt get it replaced. He further questioned me about car AC. Which works perfectly fine.

They have quoted me just under PKR 18k which includes new t-belt, adjustment bearing and t-belt bearing.

I was thinking to shop around for the spare parts to find a better deal, but I guess t-belt is such a vital bit I wouldn't want to risk it for few grands.. right?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by sh3hryar View Post
    Finally I am taking my car to Toyota Islamabad (i-9 Islamabad) to replace the t-belt.
    I am told by Toyota officials not to get anything else replaced unless required at the moment. I asked the service manager about replacing water pump and thermostat value. He says that has nothing to do with the t-belt changing and I shouldnt get it replaced. He further questioned me about car AC. Which works perfectly fine.

They have quoted me just under PKR 18k which includes new t-belt, adjustment bearing and t-belt bearing.

I was thinking to shop around for the spare parts to find a better deal, but I guess t-belt is such a vital bit I wouldn't want to risk it for few grands.. right?
    Ask the service manager to show you the timing gun... ONLY If its with him then negociate. else just ask him to sell you a T-belt MAX OEM worth RS1500 with adjuster RS 1000, Toyota should be cheaper! to make the 30 % high rate of upfront new buy, (+ waterbody MAX 3000 and bearing 1000, i really suggest coz once i got a new timing belt snapped due to stuck water body) As for service charges they charge around 50% of material cost but only worth it if they use proper tools and equipment else just use a roadside panay wala for doing the (1Hr) work for 2-3K.
    Goodluck.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

plz explain link of t-belt with water body.
    RIP

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    plz explain link of t-belt with water body.
    In my chevy the timing belt actually rotate over the water body like a belt apart from timing the valves. Have no clue concerning 2.0D. I do suggest to read post #13 by Xulfiqar sb for technical explanation.

PS;Never found it Financially feasible to own twadi tota rolla , If i need reliability as claimed by toyota will go for a NEW korean/chinease car and sell it off after 3-5 years.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mag88 View Post
    Ask the service manager to show you the timing gun... ONLY If its with him then negociate. else just ask him to sell you a T-belt MAX OEM worth RS1500 with adjuster RS 1000, Toyota should be cheaper! to make the 30 % high rate of upfront new buy, (+ waterbody MAX 3000 and bearing 1000, i really suggest coz once i got a new timing belt snapped due to stuck water body) As for service charges they charge around 50% of material cost but only worth it if they use proper tools and equipment else just use a roadside panay wala for doing the (1Hr) work for 2-3K.
    Goodluck.
    Hey!

I am taking the car in either twmr or day after.
    I have spoken to few technically sound ppl I know about this issue.

They have suggested to check the condition of the bearing(s) before actually having them replaced. I am back to square one. Well confused. Should I just change the timing belt or do I really need to get bearing(s) replaced.

Some gents have suggested to replace waterpump. I have had not any issue with the engine temp. Do I have to have to change waterpump?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up Eureka!

Finally got the t-belt replaced by the Toyota Capital (i9).

Took about 4 hours and PKR 17.5k.

The original belt and the bearings were all in good shape but it had to be done.

Thank you'all for your contribution.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List