Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: need help find a nice mechanic for my Corolla 2007 XLI Tappet Settings (Islamabad)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Post need help find a nice mechanic for my Corolla 2007 XLI Tappet Settings (Islamabad)

Hi,

My problem started when my car had done around 100k kms and the idling would not remain smooth. I showed it to a couple of mechanics and everyone suggested that there was an issue with the tappets and since it has hydraulic tappets, its not simple and has to be done by kharaads. Anyway, someone suggested and referred me to this guy Naseer mechanic (i am not too sure of his name) at (near) Murreer chowk pindi who just took out the round metalish ring type tappets from the engine and got them set by some local kharaad there. The problem seem resolved to some extent however I was not too happy again firstly with the engine sound and secondly with the not so perfect idling rpm.

After a couple of months, idling problem aggravated after checking which plug/valve was not performing as per standard by taking each coil out one by one and noticing engine behaviour, it was determined by Wazir electrician (firebrigade - Islamabad) that the first one had an issue and the valve/tappet needs to be readjusted. This time round, I decided to try a different mechanic and so I took my car to Sohail Autos (Fire brigade) who changed the valve and did something, made a bill of around 20k but to my surprise, the car has gone from bad to worse. Engine sound further deteriorated and severe idling problem (lesser on petrol though than CNG). I told the mechanic that I dont think the engine is running smooth but he said itd b better when the car has run a bit. Everything will take its place.

so bascially, I have tried two mechanics, and I blv the problem lies with the head/valve/tappets... I need to know if any of you know who is the right mechanic to get the job done nicely and who knows all the knitty gritties involved and who wouldnt gouge me.

PS: dont refer me to Toyota as all they know is not to fix things but change everything. Just for tappet settings and valve changing they gave me an estimated bill of 50k. I am tired of spending money already.
    Army Officer

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

goto sultan-ka-kho junk yards with a mechanic you believe & consider little honest - get a complete head for your car engine swap it 1-to-1 without any machine work. It will cost you half of what you have spent so far -

please do mention maintenance history of your vehicle & type of fuel used if it is available.
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Mechanic

Can u plz suggest a mechanic whom I can take a long. I don't know any honest mechanic
    Army Officer

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ask them where u buy head they have also machanic wich is atleast epert in this field

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if you are army officer as your signature says - ask your MT park subedar saheb if he can differentiate between worked up item & stock untouched stuff. Take him along in civies be polite and soft spoken ask people at yards seek knowledge from them as well before you finally make a choice of item try to give 70% down and take delivery and 30% upon after car performance.

If you just put in signature as ARMY officer to show how naive you are then use your luck at the yards - thats 2 paisa worth input. !
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post
    goto sultan-ka-kho junk yards with a mechanic you believe & consider little honest - get a complete head for your car engine swap it 1-to-1 without any machine work. It will cost you half of what you have spent so far -

please do mention maintenance history of your vehicle & type of fuel used if it is available.
    if you are army officer as your signature says - ask your MT park subedar saheb if he can differentiate between worked up item & stock untouched stuff. Take him along in civies be polite and soft spoken ask people at yards seek knowledge from them as well before you finally make a choice of item try to give 70% down and take delivery and 30% upon after car performance.

If you just put in signature as ARMY officer to show how naive you are then use your luck at the yards - thats 2 paisa worth input. !
    @OP
    Best suggestion for you by senior member.
    You ill waste more money on car by getting work done on it furthermore. Seems like it's head has completed it'ss life. Get it replaced.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

your engine does not have hydraulic tappets - they are fully solid lifters and toyota make them in different sizes to adjust tappet clearance to cam. Its basically the same as the old setup but instead of replacing the shims you replace the whole tappet that has out of spec clearance.

The way our pakistani bhai do this is to remove the head and grind the valve stem to adjust clearance. This creates one or two problems or both. One is that the valve is case hardened and they just ground down the hardened bit, second is that they mix up the tappets, each tappet makes a signature on the cam because they rotate in their bores when the cam presses them, If they are mixed up the cam can go flat which will cause you to buy BRAND NEW CAMS and all lifters.

So do it the proper way like toyota recommended - they made the engine - they know best how to repair it back to spec.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

brother Xulfiqar, is it the same issue that happens after CNG use with corollas 2003-2007..?

meaning
    People say that you have to replace the head after abt 40000 KM of CNG use in corolla.. is it true
    sorrry for my ignorance but i need the answer since i am interested in buying a corolla 2003-2007..
    top documentaries " Tears of Gaza"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

over this forum when Corolla ECOTEC was lanuched I also read about the modified head in CNG version of Corolla. I searched & inquired from Toyota 3S at Korangi and they murmurred YES about modified head in CNG version - Guru Please update what is correct method of head re-work in case of failure in KA-ROLA G LIE & XL EYE

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

over this forum when Corolla ECOTEC was lanuched I also read about the modified head in CNG version of Corolla. I searched & inquired from Toyota 3S at Korangi and they murmurred YES about modified head in CNG version - Guru Please update what is correct method of head re-work in case of failure in KA-ROLA G LIE & XL EYE

To be honest - I have never come across such a head that was manufactured with modified specifiation for CNG on those engines in Pakistan.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@onlyfaith
    yes its the same problem with all corollas after indus actually (on CNG )
    even the old shape vitz suffers the same problem on cng.
    my colleague got the head work done twice from toyota capitol on his vitz
    and my cousin after burning 1 gear box and getting head work twice of his SE saloon sold his car to the 3S dealership itself
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hash4u View Post
    @onlyfaith
    yes its the same problem with all corollas after indus actually (on CNG )
    even the old shape vitz suffers the same problem on cng.
    my colleague got the head work done twice from toyota capitol on his vitz
    and my cousin after burning 1 gear box and getting head work twice of his SE saloon sold his car to the 3S dealership itself
    thanks brother for the reply..

so what should i do to avoid this problem if buying a used corolla 2003-2008 shape.. or what features should i look into,before making this deal
    top documentaries " Tears of Gaza"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^^
    buy a car driven on petrol
    or a very low mileage car

unfortunately the probability of someone disclosing that they got the head repaired is less then 5%
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

perfectly suggested already by capsat and xulfiqar.

u can call saeed mechanic on 0300-5159324. a very honest and humble guy. been dealing with him for 5 years now. he can help you out with whatever you decide to do (change the head or get it repaired). i would prefer changing the head.
    u may also give my reference if you want.
    plz note: my experience with him in rwp/isb has always been good. if anything goes wrong, dont blame me

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes I totally agree with you Xulfiqar I also has tappets adjustd from Toyota and after that no problem.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

KhurramFazal you said that no need to recommend me to go to Toyota but I will tell you that the best option is that go to Toyota Capitol Motors and get tappets adjusted from them Because I also got the tappets adjusted from them on my Corolla Gli 2010 model and they adjusted them and told me that the shims need replacing and I did and since then had no problem with my car.So the best option is to go to Toyota Capitol motors

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Asslam o alikum sir ,
    Need your professional assistance,
    I had an issue with my 2007 corolla xli , in the earlier stage, when ever I turn the A/C ON , RPM droped down to less than 800 and engine shaked with A/C, without was fine , then I figured out it need Throtle Body cleaning , Because it was kind of cloged with carbon , then took a Throtle Body appart & gave it a good clean with petrol and carburator cleaner , Idle valve was a kind of stiff , after cleaning , engine is running smooth but the only problem is Higher Idle upto 12-1300 in normal condetion, but with the A/C it drops down to 1000 which is still higher ,

Waiting for your Kind reply,
    Regards
    Usman Ajmal

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by usman.1218 View Post
    Asslam o alikum sir ,
    Need your professional assistance,
    I had an issue with my 2007 corolla xli , in the earlier stage, when ever I turn the A/C ON , RPM droped down to less than 800 and engine shaked with A/C, without was fine , then I figured out it need Throtle Body cleaning , Because it was kind of cloged with carbon , then took a Throtle Body appart & gave it a good clean with petrol and carburator cleaner , Idle valve was a kind of stiff , after cleaning , engine is running smooth but the only problem is Higher Idle upto 12-1300 in normal condetion, but with the A/C it drops down to 1000 which is still higher ,

Waiting for your Kind reply,
    Regards
    Usman Ajmal
    R u from Karachi ?

Best Regards,
    Taha Soomro

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sir I am from Islamabad

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Atta ur Rehman is a good pak wheeler and recommended by many his work shop is at ijp road near Hamza camp.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using PW Forums mobile app

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List