Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question Power Steering for KE70

hi,

I need ideas/solution for putting a power steering rack in corolla 1980(KE70). Two years back one rack was available in Shershah but was not in good condition so dropped the idea. Is is advisable since parts would be scarce now.

Any one tried putting in an EPS and is it reliable since I don't want to mess up the reliability at high speeds.

Please advise if anyone has done this sort of setup successfully.

thanks

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    I have lived in Pakistan for the longest time and have seen such "alterations" a lot, the problem is not about fitment only - anyone can slap and hammer a rack in there of any choice they want, That does not mean its good. The original design was thought out first. e.g. The great no. of bigger Honda engines in Daihatsu shells is apparently "good" While actually they are useless. A car that has to visit a shop for every hiccup every 2 weeks is not good in any sort of way if its for regular road use.

And speaking of power pumps, most old toyota light duty hydraulic pumps are similar with mounting bracket differences only.

The two crosses (u joints) you see are not collapsible - they are assembled on splines and locked into place. If you look at a completely totaled car you will know how the entire thing is collapsible. The crossmember is slightly different but you can it. If you cannot locate it then you need to make new mounts for the rack, When doing this you have to make sure the rack remains in the exact same location to preserve correct steering arm pivot point otherwise you will suffer from bump steer or skeetering at high speed.

If you can find an oldschool scrappie - they might be able to point you in the right direction to get these old items.
    Xulfiqar
    Aslamwalikum - Have a question here, i wanted to convert my simple corolla 1980 DX to power steering. But your point is true so I've not changed my mind and doing that mod.
    I'm getting a Cressida steering box, can this be a good move to do or not ?

Suggestions needed ..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    I find it really hard to swallow, People are installing EPS in such cars?? the steering column is not an item to be played around with, A badly setup column will kill you in a crash as it proceeds to break your ribs.

btw - the original Ke70 corolla steering is already quite easy to turn without power assist.
    yup quite easy to steer without power assist if u have stock engine, and now a days no 1 like the stock engine. but if u have like 4AGE than its a bit of a problem to steer.

i personally don't like EPS but at least its better than nothing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List