Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By roony

Thread: Corolla Gli 2005 synthetic, semi synthetic or mineral?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Corolla Gli 2005 synthetic, semi synthetic or mineral?

I have a corolla Gli 2005 which has been driven for about 130,000km. I have been using the standard corolla mobile oil since the first day. I am thinking of switching to synthetic or semi-synthetic, is that a good option to consider? If yes, then what brand and grade would be best? I was thinking about Zic A or Zic A+, maybe someone can share their experience.

Note that I have been driving it on CNG most of the time.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^^same question as iam using Shell (yellow packing) from last 2 years, my car is 06 model and CNG, iam not facing any issue yet, let experts shed some light which is best oil.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Brother,
    If your car is driven over 130,000 KM, then DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC OIL FOR IT.
    Because Synthetic oils are usually for new engines (new cars). If you use Synthetic oil for your car now, your engine voice will be high & will make you anxious.

I’ll suggest you to use

Performa 20/50 (Red color Sticker plastic bottle) Change it after 3000~3200
    Zic Hi-Flow (Yellow color plastic bottle) Change it after 3000~3200

Do not use Caltex, Shell, Sinopec, Zippex, Havoline, etc.

For your reference, Toyota only produces Cars. THEY DO NOT PRODUCE OILS.
    Hence all the oils which are coming under name of Toyota, that are not originally from Toyota. Toyota is buying from other companies and re-packing under their own name.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Keep on using the same oil

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by GoodMan7 View Post
    Brother,
    Because Synthetic oils are usually for new engines (new cars). If you use Synthetic oil for your car now, your engine voice will be high & will make you anxious.

I?ll suggest you to use

Hence all the oils which are coming under name of Toyota, that are not originally from Toyota. Toyota is buying from other companies and re-packing under their own name.
    But Why...?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Brother,

I’ll suggest you to use

I actually changed the oil to Zic A and it seems fine. If I see a problem i'll switch to hi-flow.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by moneeb666 View Post
    I actually changed the oil to Zic A and it seems fine. If I see a problem i'll switch to hi-flow.
    Well, as you said your car is driven over 130,000 km, that?s why I suggested these oils (Performa 20/50 & Zic Hi-Flow 20/50).
    Machines also grow old and their working efficiencies are gradually down too. That?s why its better to switch to the thicker oils automatically if the car is driven over 100,000 km.

For your ref.

Zic A+ is 5/20. Its thin oil usually good for new engines.
    Zic A is 10/40. Its not multi grade oil but even then good for engine ran over 50K
    Zic Hi-flow is 20/50. Also not multi grade, but good for the engines ran over 100K

Personally if I?ve to choose between Zic Hi-flow 20/50 & Performa 20/50. I will simply choose ?Performa?.
    Because I?ve long experience to use this Zic Hi-Flow in my old car. And after 3000 KM, when I change, then oil color is totally black.

But when I switched to Performa, this oil still has little shine & color even after running 3000 KM.
    Also it cools down the Engine?s voice and increase the pickup. We automatically feel that now our Car Engine is happy with this oil.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yeah Zic A is 10/40 which is recommended in my owner's manual (10/30 or 10/40). I used Havoline 20/50 also but it was the worst experience with any oil ever. Can't say if it was the oil's fault or the viscosity, but I suppose it had to do something with a bit of both. This time I had decided to use the recommended ratings only. Let's see how it goes Btw I also switched from havoline 20/50 to PSO Carrient Plus 20/50 in my alto vxr 2005. I have a feeling havoline did a lot of damage.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Brother,
    The owner’s manual recommends thinner oils. Because car is new and most of the people consult with manuals to find that which oil is recommend. But we forget that these recommendations are usually for the new engines. And once the car is 4~5 years old and ran over 50K, then we have to decide by ourself that which oil suits more.

For new Car -- Use synthetic Oils. Mostly very thin like water.
    Over 30,000 Km -- switch to 5/40 (presently best oil available in the market).
    Over 80,000 Km -- switch to 20/50 and keep using it.
    And if car is Diesel, then use 15/40, 10/60 or 20/60 after 100K.

If you car is driven over 100K and you use “Fully Synthetic or Thinner Oils”, it will produce extra noise in the engine. And you will feel the engine’s pick-up has significantly reduced (instead of increasing).
    Hence switching to thicker oils is wise. But choosing the right oil manufacturers company is more important.

We know many companies using same oils, but they changed the packing and given it the new name like “improved formula”.
    Shell, Castrol, Caltex, Total, Sinopec, Toyota, Havoline, PSO, etc. are old names to forget now. They are making money from our innocence and lack of informations.
    Choose good companies like PTT- Performa, Mobil-1 (If original), ZIC, Redline (if original available), Zippex is also just OK.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Brother,
    The owner’s manual recommends thinner oils. Because car is new and most of the people consult with manuals to find that which oil is recommend. But we forget that these recommendations are usually for the new engines. And once the car is 4~5 years old and ran over 50K, then we have to decide by ourself that which oil suits more.

For new Car -- Use synthetic Oils. Mostly very thin like water.
    Over 30,000 Km -- switch to 5/40 (presently best oil available in the market).
    Over 80,000 Km -- switch to 20/50 and keep using it.
    And if car is Diesel, then use 15/40, 10/60 or 20/60 after 100K.

If you car is driven over 100K and you use “Fully Synthetic or Thinner Oils”, it will produce extra noise in the engine. And you will feel the engine’s pick-up has significantly reduced (instead of increasing).
    Hence switching to thicker oils is wise. But choosing the right oil manufacturers company is more important.

We know many companies using same oils, but they changed the packing and given it the new name like “improved formula”.
    Shell, Castrol, Caltex, Total, Sinopec, Toyota, Havoline, PSO, etc. are old names to forget now. They are making money from our innocence and lack of informations.
    Choose good companies like PTT- Performa, Mobil-1 (If original), ZIC, Redline (if original available), Zippex is also just OK.
    I recently changed my oil to zic A. Let's see how it goes. Everything seems fine up till now. I'll post again if anything changes. Thank you for your advice BTW I do think PSO carrient plus 20/50 is a good oil. What do you say?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Just cause your car is over 100k doesnt mean you have to switch to thicker oils. Probably if you havnt maintained your engine properly.
    I would def not switch to 20w-50 rated oil (not to mention causing more engine wear having a 20w rating on cold start ups). The only reason you would want to switch to a thicker oil if there was a lack of maintenance, severe service or excessive oil consumption. A thicker oil would be be more of a band aid to cover up other serious issues, developing issues.

Switching to synthetic should be fine. However as synthetics are generally thinner and has added additives (to clean engines) it may remove sludge and make leaks on already worn seals.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by roony View Post
    Just cause your car is over 100k doesnt mean you have to switch to thicker oils. Probably if you havnt maintained your engine properly.
    I would def not switch to 20w-50 rated oil (not to mention causing more engine wear having a 20w rating on cold start ups). The only reason you would want to switch to a thicker oil if there was a lack of maintenance, severe service or excessive oil consumption. A thicker oil would be be more of a band aid to cover up other serious issues developing issues.

Switching to synthetic should be fine. However as synthetics are generally thinner and has added additives (to clean engines) it may remove sludge and make leaks on already worn seals.
    Exactly what I have been thinking. The engine has been maintained well and there hasn't ever been any kind of oil consumption uptil now. I, however, was concerned about the leaks thing and decided to go with semi-synthetic instead of fully synthetic. I hope it works.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by moneeb666 View Post
    Exactly what I have been thinking. The engine has been maintained well and there hasn't ever been any kind of oil consumption uptil now. I, however, was concerned about the leaks thing and decided to go with semi-synthetic instead of fully synthetic. I hope it works.
    Brother Shell HX5 yellow one is best for u.

Change after every 6,000 KM.
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bradpit View Post
    Brother Shell HX5 yellow one is best for u.

Change after every 6,000 KM.
    iam using that same oil and they are suggesting to change every 4k KMS.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List