Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Catalytic Convertor

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    shabbir.53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    63
    Posts
    687
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default Catalytic Convertor

    My 2009 Corolla's Catalytic Convertor got choked at 52000 km, even though i used mix of Hi-octane and super in Islamabad. Got it cleaned from G-8 silencer walla for Rs. 2500, by blowing air through it. Brownish powder comes out. Keep blowing till powder stops coming out. Before cleaning, engine performance was very poor and fuel economy got worse. Now both are ok. Mechanics tend to mislead you. One chap (supposedly Toyota expert) in F11 suggested to change the clutch, etc etc.

    Some of my friends got their CatCon removed, but I dont recommend that, as it can result in more noise, pollution and possibly computer problem. Cleaning is easy and the recommended method.

    I would like to hear from others what their experience was and how they tacked the problem, and at what cost.


  2. #2
    PakWheeler Follow
    Khurram26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    38
    Posts
    275
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shabbir233 View Post
    My 2009 Corolla's Catalytic Convertor got choked at 52000 km, even though i used mix of Hi-octane and super in Islamabad. Got it cleaned from G-8 silencer walla for Rs. 2500, by blowing air through it. Brownish powder comes out. Keep blowing till powder stops coming out. Before cleaning, engine performance was very poor and fuel economy got worse. Now both are ok. Mechanics tend to mislead you. One chap (supposedly Toyota expert) in F11 suggested to change the clutch, etc etc.

    Some of my friends got their CatCon removed, but I dont recommend that, as it can result in more noise, pollution and possibly computer problem. Cleaning is easy and the recommended method.

    I would like to hear from others what their experience was and how they tacked the problem, and at what cost.
    There was no cat at all in 2009 local corolla.

    Sent from my SM-N900 using PW Forums mobile app

  3. #3
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    irfansiddique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,765
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    4
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Khurram26 View Post
    There was no cat at all in 2009 local corolla.

    Sent from my SM-N900 using PW Forums mobile app
    i was about to say this, kissi na sahi ka bana deya

  4. #4
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    asim510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,393
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by irfansiddique View Post
    i was about to say this, kissi na sahi ka bana deya
    I opened the thread thinking someone would be sharing his reborn catalytic convertor experience .


    Sent using portable handheld device.
    Before you criticize someone, Make sure you are better than them.............

  5. #5
    PakWheeler Follow
    ziyad.ahmad.391's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    653
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asim510 View Post
    I opened the thread thinking someone would be sharing his reborn catalytic convertor experience .


    Sent using portable handheld device.
    well I havent till yet cleaned my catcon in my civic 8th gen(reboen) as im getting really good mileage wid light foot and pick is gud too..but what I do notice in the morning is that the engine and exhaust sounds a bit loud..when it warms up it gets quiet..dont knw if that culd be a sign of a choked cat con or not???

  6. #6
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    asim510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,393
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ziyad.ahmad.391 View Post
    well I havent till yet cleaned my catcon in my civic 8th gen(reboen) as im getting really good mileage wid light foot and pick is gud too..but what I do notice in the morning is that the engine and exhaust sounds a bit loud..when it warms up it gets quiet..dont knw if that culd be a sign of a choked cat con or not???
    I m also searching to solve the myth of cat con


    Sent using portable handheld device.
    Before you criticize someone, Make sure you are better than them.............

  7. #7
    PakWheeler Follow
    mwanwar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    36
    Posts
    538
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asim510 View Post
    I m also searching to solve the myth of cat con


    Sent using portable handheld device.
    Bhai there is no myth in it and in the morning car is at auto choke and as the engine gets hots rpm gets down to 1 or below 1

    Choked catalyic converter sounds normal but removed catalyic converter sound like a phatti hoi awaz but not that loud

    But honda do recommend to clean converter after every 10k km due to bad quality of fuel which we get octane level of our hi octane is not even recommend by honda for this engine

    Sent from my GT-I9500 using PW Forums mobile app

  8. #8
    PakWheeler Follow
    ziyad.ahmad.391's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    653
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mwanwar View Post
    Bhai there is no myth in it and in the morning car is at auto choke and as the engine gets hots rpm gets down to 1 or below 1

    Choked catalyic converter sounds normal but removed catalyic converter sound like a phatti hoi awaz but not that loud

    But honda do recommend to clean converter after every 10k km due to bad quality of fuel which we get octane level of our hi octane is not even recommend by honda for this engine

    Sent from my GT-I9500 using PW Forums mobile app
    What exactly do honda people do while cleaning the cat con?..I read somewhere on pakwheels that they open the top o2 sensor and put a screwdriver in it scrap the dirt off of it then they accelerate it till no smoke comes out..I mean this must be some desi tareeka of cleaning it coz on international forums there is no such thing as catcon CLEANING! :-/

  9. #9
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    sk_020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    22
    Posts
    3,316
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    My 1 lac km driven Civic 8th gen's Catalytic converter is fully functional. Pick and mileage is as good as new.
    It's all about the quality of petrol you get. I always get my car refilled from Caltex f6. Best pump in Islamabad.

  10. #10
    PakWheeler Follow
    ziyad.ahmad.391's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    653
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sk_KingpiN View Post
    My 1 lac km driven Civic 8th gen's Catalytic converter is fully functional. Pick and mileage is as good as new.
    It's all about the quality of petrol you get. I always get my car refilled from Caltex f6. Best pump in Islamabad.
    Any such good petrol pump in lahore thokar area?

  11. #11
    PakWheeler Follow
    ziyad.ahmad.391's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    653
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sk_KingpiN View Post
    My 1 lac km driven Civic 8th gen's Catalytic converter is fully functional. Pick and mileage is as good as new.
    It's all about the quality of petrol you get. I always get my car refilled from Caltex f6. Best pump in Islamabad.
    Bro which engine oil and filter do u use?

  12. #12
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    sk_020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    22
    Posts
    3,316
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ziyad.ahmad.391 View Post
    Any such good petrol pump in lahore thokar area?
    No idea about lahore.

    Quote Originally Posted by ziyad.ahmad.391 View Post
    Bro which engine oil and filter do u use?
    Genuine Honda synthetic oil and genuine honda oil filter bro.
    Car is totally honda maintained.

  13. #13
    PakWheeler Follow
    ziyad.ahmad.391's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    653
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sk_KingpiN View Post
    No idea about lahore.


    Genuine Honda synthetic oil and genuine honda oil filter bro.
    Car is totally honda maintained.
    How is ur experience with the honda synthetic oil? its a locally packed total quartz we all know about that..but I just wana know but wuld u advise putting in synthetic oil instead of the caltex havoline 10w30..im using it but having no issues

  14. #14
    PakWheeler Follow
    mwanwar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    36
    Posts
    538
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ziyad.ahmad.391 View Post
    What exactly do honda people do while cleaning the cat con?..I read somewhere on pakwheels that they open the top o2 sensor and put a screwdriver in it scrap the dirt off of it then they accelerate it till no smoke comes out..I mean this must be some desi tareeka of cleaning it coz on international forums there is no such thing as catcon CLEANING! :-/
    SIR this is as per international standards u can search it on you tube they even use carb cleaner to clean catalyic converter

    Another things which u should know is only choked catalyic conveter can be cleaned out of order converter can only be replaced

    As I already wrote above that our hi octane petrol does not have the octane level recommeded by honda for this engine

    its always recommended find a company operated pump for petrol filling best are caltex and attock

    Or u can use liqui moly fuel additive to increase octane level of fuel used u will see a remarkable difference in pick

    Sent from my GT-I9500 using PW Forums mobile app

  15. #15
    PakWheeler Follow
    ziyad.ahmad.391's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    653
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mwanwar View Post
    SIR this is as per international standards u can search it on you tube they even use carb cleaner to clean catalyic converter

    Another things which u should know is only choked catalyic conveter can be cleaned out of order converter can only be replaced

    As I already wrote above that our hi octane petrol does not have the octane level recommeded by honda for this engine

    its always recommended find a company operated pump for petrol filling best are caltex and attock

    Or u can use liqui moly fuel additive to increase octane level of fuel used u will see a remarkable difference in pick

    Sent from my GT-I9500 using PW Forums mobile app
    Ok nice to know that we can actually clean it..il get mine cleaned from honda if I see any symptoms of choking

  16. #16
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    sk_020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    22
    Posts
    3,316
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ziyad.ahmad.391 View Post
    How is ur experience with the honda synthetic oil? its a locally packed total quartz we all know about that..but I just wana know but wuld u advise putting in synthetic oil instead of the caltex havoline 10w30..im using it but having no issues
    My experience with this product is good so far and yes I'd recommend you to put synthetic oil instead of havoline as I was also using havoline previously. Better use engine flush before pouring synthetic oil.
    Pick and mileage improves after pouring in the synthetic oil.

  17. #17
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Docjunaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sadiqabad
    Posts
    2,046
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ziyad.ahmad.391 View Post
    Any such good petrol pump in lahore thokar area?
    Try Areeb filling station & CNG
    I found its fuel to b excellent


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Glory Glory Manchester United

  18. #18
    PakWheeler Follow
    ziyad.ahmad.391's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    653
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Docjunaid View Post
    Try Areeb filling station & CNG
    I found its fuel to b excellent


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanku Doctor sahib..will try it next time inshAllah..its very near my home..

  19. #19
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Docjunaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sadiqabad
    Posts
    2,046
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Catalytic Convertor

    Quote Originally Posted by ziyad.ahmad.391 View Post
    Thanku Doctor sahib..will try it next time inshAllah..its very near my home..
    Try out their shop as well
    They have a very neat tidy shop with coffee, tea, pizza, biggers and the best part Dunkin Donuts and coffee ( this is another reason for going to Areeb because I stop here on my way to Sialkot so coffee is must )

    They also small parts/oil stock as well
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Glory Glory Manchester United

  20. #20
    PakWheeler Follow
    ziyad.ahmad.391's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    653
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sk_KingpiN View Post
    My experience with this product is good so far and yes I'd recommend you to put synthetic oil instead of havoline as I was also using havoline previously. Better use engine flush before pouring synthetic oil.
    Pick and mileage improves after pouring in the synthetic oil.
    What bout the engine noise? did it decrease too?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •