87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Mysterious oil drops, HELP

Hello, my 2006 Altis has for the past 4 months been showing mysterious oil drops under the engine. i used a tissue paper on a cardboard box to see the colour of the oil and it was light brownish. after a month i showed it to two different mechanics they said power steering pump is leaking, i took it to toyota rawal motors they said engine timing seal is leaking and they will open up the whole engine fix the seal with Silicone! and replace the timing belt etc take one day leave car.

now the funny thing was during this time i had been observing all the oil levels very closely and neither the engine oil or power steering oil had dropped even a mm. i then took it to lahore and back on motorway and again none of the levels moved even a mm and the oil drops actually stopped after the long drive for a few weeks. later i had the engine oil changed afterwards from mineral to semi synthetic and the level stayed still stayed constant. its been 4 months now and all fluid levels are exactly where they should be steering feels just as good engine is its usual so what could be the issue??
    car has only done 56000km and is driven once every 3 months on motorway and once a week around a block. mostly stands
    pic attached for reference
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Arzaam do one thing, wash and clean the power steering and timing chain cover area thoroughly and than check, the oil seepage area... why am saying this, the pics you have uploaded already has too much oil seepage, so its better to clean it thoroughly and than keep an eye on the area. you and me and we cannot come to any conclusion until unless we have a strong evidence about the seepage from specific area...
    Toyota Cressida 1982 GL ... Mazda Cx-9 2009... Toyota Corolla 2007 XLI EXECUTIVE (SOLD)...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@arzaam.bhatti

In addition to the idea of getting the car washed, locate and follow the low pressure fluid supply hose from the PS fluid reservoir to the PS pump. Not sure about your car, but usually this hose low pressure hose has a normal clamps at both ends. Grab the hose and try to twist it to see if it may be loose. Do this test at both ends of the hose. If there are air bubbles seen in the reservoir, I am guessing that the pump is taking in air from this hose if it is loose. The air going through the pump may be the cause of slight noise you are hearing.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by faisalayub View Post
    Arzaam do one thing, wash and clean the power steering and timing chain cover area thoroughly and than check, the oil seepage area... why am saying this, the pics you have uploaded already has too much oil seepage, so its better to clean it thoroughly and than keep an eye on the area. you and me and we cannot come to any conclusion until unless we have a strong evidence about the seepage from specific area...
    already done that, pinpointed it to the power steering pump, definitely not timing seal, it has reduced by more than half in summer, still haven't topped PS oil and level is correct though tiny bit less than before

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by msabbasi View Post
    @arzaam.bhatti

In addition to the idea of getting the car washed, locate and follow the low pressure fluid supply hose from the PS fluid reservoir to the PS pump. Not sure about your car, but usually this hose low pressure hose has a normal clamps at both ends. Grab the hose and try to twist it to see if it may be loose. Do this test at both ends of the hose. If there are air bubbles seen in the reservoir, I am guessing that the pump is taking in air from this hose if it is loose. The air going through the pump may be the cause of slight noise you are hearing.
    i had the car put on the lift and inspected thourougly later, its form the PS pump, i checked the hoses visually and by touching though didn't try twisting to see if they were loose, both hoses were dry and seemed to be in good order, i think its some seal in the PS pump thats weeping

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i wanted to ask any harm in driving like this? all the oil levels are correct and i have spare for emergency, i took the car on a ling drive after three months, now no more noise at all and level is fine and no drops in 12 hours as of yet, so its probably a seal which gets dry form sitting and is fine while driving

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by arzaam.bhatti View Post
    i wanted to ask any harm in driving like this? all the oil levels are correct and i have spare for emergency, i took the car on a ling drive after three months, now no more noise at all and level is fine and no drops in 12 hours as of yet, so its probably a seal which gets dry form sitting and is fine while driving
    Glad to know that the location of the leak has been pin pointed. If the shaft seal of the pump is weeping it is not a mater of life and death. Just keep an eye on the fluid level of the PS. From the description of the amount of leakage, I'd say check the level once in a fortnight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

User Tag List