87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Help required! 2011 gli steering lock stuck

Our gli steering switch gets stuck, when you insert the key it won't turn and would stay stuck in the locked position today I spent 15 min just to get it to move past lock position, if steering has not been turned and is not locked then it is little bit easier to get the key past the ignition to start the car it takes a few tries
    What's the issue and howto solve it, car has no spare key and I think the current one sea worn, cars driven 138000km so it's prob ably been through many cycles,
    Please help on howto fix and any tips when it does get stuck ? It's a daily driven car and I can't be stranded with family at the side of the road wrestling with the steering lock

P.S If you move the steering left right left right with forceful jerks that mostly works to get it past lock but not always
    If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

That is a safety feature. If the steering is locked after the the car is switched off you have to turn it a little bit to the left or the right and keep it there until you turn the key. This way your key will turn and the steering will unlock.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by han94 View Post
    That is a safety feature. If the steering is locked after the the car is switched off you have to turn it a little bit to the left or the right and keep it there until you turn the key. This way your key will turn and the steering will unlock.
    i know that it used to work fine but yesterday and today no matter if you turn it left or right one hold it in centre the key still gets stuck in the lock, even if the steering wheel is not locked and has not been touched the key still get stuck

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by arzaam.bhatti View Post
    i know that it used to work fine but yesterday and today no matter if you turn it left or right one hold it in centre the key still gets stuck in the lock, even if the steering wheel is not locked and has not been touched the key still get stuck
    Most probably your key turned to be old & its contacts become plain. This is why your ignition key barrels are not pushing properly. I hope you have secondary new key present with you. Try with new key and it will work InShaAllah.
    "May God keep you away from the venom of the cobra, the teeth of the tiger, and the revenge of the Afghans." ~Alexander the Great.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Since you don't have a spare key, and this one is worn to the point that now it is having difficulties in turning the ignition. In my opinion, other than going to a "talay walla" who will make a new key and maybe mess up your ignition switch in the process, you could go to the 3S Toyota place near you as ask them to provide you with a new set of keys. From the Chassis number, they will be able to provide you with a new one or set as per your needs. It may take some time and will be expensive (Honda Civic is more than 15,000).

Not sure about the Corolla, but the Civic has an immobilizer chip in the key. If the code in the chip does not match the code stored in the car, the engine will not start. If the corolla has the same, then getting the new key from Indus Motors will make sure the chip in the key will match and start your car.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

In my case,i went to normal tala repair shop and he repaired the ignition switch.
    Its fine now.
    If your key is not worn out, then you need to replace ignition switch or get it repaired.
    <..If everything seems under control, U r not going fast enough..>

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

okay i will take it to 3s dealership but first would have to at least bring a tala wala home to get a opinion because now no matter what i do the ignition barrel won't turn and i can't start the car, money is not the issue but won't changing key require me to change all the locks in door or would the 3s match the chassis no and made me a key that would already work in all locks

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

by the way how do i know if its a ignition switch or key problem, i mean its 2011 corolla despite being driven 138000 and no heavy objects dangling from key it still managed to get worn? and the problem suddenly appeared out of blue, if say ignition switch needs to fixed what do i need to lookout for, i don't want to open the steering assembly and mess-up the EPS in the process

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

okay i will take it to 3s dealership but first would have to at least bring a tala wala home to get a opinion because now no matter what i do the ignition barrel won't turn and i can't start the car, money is not the issue but won't changing key require me to change all the locks in door or would the 3s match the chassis no and made me a key that would already work in all locks
    The key provided by the 3S place will be an exact duplicate of the original. No need to replace any lock. Oh one more thing I think they might ask for the original registration book to confirm that you are the owner.

by the way how do i know if its a ignition switch or key problem, i mean its 2011 corolla despite being driven 138000 and no heavy objects dangling from key it still managed to get worn? and the problem suddenly appeared out of blue, if say ignition switch needs to fixed what do i need to lookout for, i don't want to open the steering assembly and mess-up the EPS in the process
    You never said in your opening post that the problem came out of the blue. If that is the case then the problem seems to be in the lock barrel. That is something the talay walla will have to look at. Just go to a good fellow who knows what he is doing.

If you are concerned about the EPS, you can do this as a two step process. Get the 3S people to remove the ignition switch and hand it to you. You then go to the lock smith and get the lock repaired and hand it back to the 3S place and they assemble the car.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

In that case you have to use the spare key or get a new key made. Happened with me too in my 09 Corolla, the key was worn out so I now use the spare key and have to more extra keys made.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default update

problem solved, i managed to get it started and took it to toyots 3S, they were making it a very lone repair and said they would take a day and replace the whole ignition lock, i didn't have time anyway so took it to right next door to a tala wala person on walton road and he found out that a part of the ignition lock that orates the barrel was worn and would get stuck he replaced that part and now it works fine, only took a hour, i also got a spare key made

now only one issue before when after shutting down the car i used to take the key out of the ignition the steering lock used to not engage unless i turned the steering wheel then i would hear a click, now as soon as i take out the key i hear a click without touch the steering wheel and steering lock engages, it it okay?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

problem solved, i managed to get it started and took it to toyots 3S, they were making it a very lone repair and said they would take a day and replace the whole ignition lock, i didn't have time anyway so took it to right next door to a tala wala person on walton road and he found out that a part of the ignition lock that orates the barrel was worn and would get stuck he replaced that part and now it works fine, only took a hour, i also got a spare key made

now only one issue before when after shutting down the car i used to take the key out of the ignition the steering lock used to not engage unless i turned the steering wheel then i would hear a click, now as soon as i take out the key i hear a click without touch the steering wheel and steering lock engages, it it okay?
    Great job. Very happy to hear your problem is resolved and that too in a very nice way. Very happy for you. I think the lock is operating the way it was meant to. You can confirm this by checking another car of the same model as yours. It will only take a second.

Thank you for providing the solution to your problem and formally closing it. Not all Pakwheelrs bother to close the thread properly.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by msabbasi View Post
    Great job. Very happy to hear your problem is resolved and that too in a very nice way. Very happy for you. I think the lock is operating the way it was meant to. You can confirm this by checking another car of the same model as yours. It will only take a second.

Thank you for providing the solution to your problem and formally closing it. Not all Pakwheelrs bother to close the thread properly.
    i think it is important to provide feedback once solved as it helps for people to give advice and see if it worked, thanks for your help!

and i checked my other corolla 2010 altis it lock engages after you turn the steering wheel not when you take the key out of the ignition but i am not worried, been driving the car and so far its working great, so time saved by not going to 3s for now, if it create problem in future then i can always get the whole thing replaced from 3s meanwhile i am relieved

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

[QUOTE=arzaam.bhatti;4458064]Our gli steering switch gets stuck, when you insert the key it won't turn and would stay stuck in the locked position today I spent 15 min just to get it to move past lock position, if steering has not been turned and is not locked then it is little bit easier to get the key past the ignition to start the car it takes a few tries
    What's the issue and howto solve it, car has no spare key and I think the current one sea worn, cars driven 138000km so it's prob ably been through many cycles,
    Please help on howto fix and any tips when it does get stuck ? It's a daily driven car and I can't be stranded with family at the side of the road wrestling with the steering lock

P.S If you move the steering left right left right with forceful jerks that mostly works to get it past lock but not always[/QUOT

Take WD-40 anti-corrosion spray. Spray it on the key at wet it thoroughly. Insert key into the lock several times with intension of lubricating the lock internal parts. You may wet the key more often if required.
    Try it. I am not sure if this will work.But will do no harm.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List