Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question HELP NEEDED: REGARDING FUEL EFFICIENCY OF INDUS COROLLA 1999 GLi

Dear Pakwheelers,

I request your expert opinions on a issue which is bugging me for the past 6 months. If there is already a thread for this then kindly guide me towards it. Your help shall be much appreciated.

So coming to the issue, My father recently bought a Toyota Corolla 1999 GLi. But after buying we came to know that this car pretty much sucked on fuel mileage. It was giving about 5-6 km/l within city and 7-8 km/l on long route. Below are the steps taken so far:
    * Taken to the mechanic and he mingled with distributor cap and adjusted race a little.
    Result: Mileage improved on CNG but on petrol still no affect.
    ** Again took to the mechanic then he opened the carburetor and asked to replace butterflies and injection pin. got it done from Rehmat Kharadia, Lahore hotel. After that he did a complete tuning and oil change of the engine.
    Result: After getting it done I took it on a trip to Rawalpindi. On GT road I reached RWP in about Rs. 2000-2500 of petrol (without AC). On return I decided to take M2 and I reached LHE in about Rs. 2500-3000 of petrol(without AC). So i guess fuel mileage on long route improved but still in the city it is giving me about 7-8 km/l but on CNG it's mileage has improved a lot.

I discussed it with my mechanic again, he checked the spark plugs and also examined the silencer and claimed that silencer's condition is better than the new car and asked me to recalculate the mileage. At that point I concluded that it has gone beyond his expertise now.
    The thing is that my chachu also owns the same car and he claims that it is giving him 10-12 km/l on petrol with A/C within city. So I am confused why is this car's mileage not improving?!

Now I put my case infront of you guys as I have ran out of options here and expect some good expert opinions on it.
    HI NI JAWANIYAY ... KITHAY DHAKAY PAYE KHANI AYN

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1020 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1999 GLI is 1600 CC, is it automatic or manual. Please share more details as in odo meter reading & tyre size it is running on. What is work done since purchase please do not share details in weeks / months share details with respect to (WRT) to odometer readings please. Use approx digits if not noted before.

i believe:

-your car is running without a thermostat valve in cooling system and radiator is full of tap water.
    -cooling fans in engine bay are direct.
    -there is no change of transmission fluids ever mentioned by previous owner
    -no brake oil flushing ( that can be done later as well )
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bro 4AFE 16V engine with manual tranny usually does 8-10km in city if in good nick auto is 7-8 or might be less. 4A series engines are fuel thirsty i have never seen someone claiming above 10 for this engine. And you are saying you did get your carb adjusted but whereas i know this engine came in EFI.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Buddy it is a 1300cc engine with manual transmission and currently it has got approx 150k on it odo.
    Usual work is done since purchase like oil change/filter change etc.
    I have already mentioned the only detailed work done it my title post and i hadn't noted odo-digits during that.

- This car is running with a thermostat valve in cooling system.
    - regarding cooling fans being direct, i'll recheck and then revert.
    - transmission fluids have been changed 1-2 times by the previous owned.
    - i don't know about brake oil flushing, guess i'll have to investigate.

But out of curiosity regarding above four points, how do they affect a car's mileage??

Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post
    1999 GLI is 1600 CC, is it automatic or manual. Please share more details as in odo meter reading & tyre size it is running on. What is work done since purchase please do not share details in weeks / months share details with respect to (WRT) to odometer readings please. Use approx digits if not noted before.

i believe:

-your car is running without a thermostat valve in cooling system and radiator is full of tap water.
    -cooling fans in engine bay are direct.
    -there is no change of transmission fluids ever mentioned by previous owner
    -no brake oil flushing ( that can be done later as well )

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedraja1996 View Post
    Bro 4AFE 16V engine with manual tranny usually does 8-10km in city if in good nick auto is 7-8 or might be less. 4A series engines are fuel thirsty i have never seen someone claiming above 10 for this engine. And you are saying you did get your carb adjusted but whereas i know this engine came in EFI.
    bro it is a 12V carburetor engine and my chachu also has also a 12V carburetor engine car (XLi) with manual transmission.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by talhatoor View Post
    bro it is a 12V carburetor engine and my chachu also has also a 12V carburetor engine car (XLi) with manual transmission.
    This means you have Toyota Corolla GL not GLi, you have 1.3L carb Toyota 2E. Toyota Corolla GLi in indus shape is 1.6L which came in auto or manual 16V EFI Toyota 4AFE

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1020 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1300 CC is a 2E carb. engine. GLI I know of that shape is 1600 CC EFI engine equipped with auto transmission

Thermostat maintain optimum temperature in cooling system and cooling fans running on automatic ensure that temp of coolant does not drop / shot-up. engine running below specified temp will not perform to mark.

Transmission fluid in manual trans. shall be changed at approx 60,000+ km. Transmission get warm / hot and the Viscosity changes over period of time therefore again it affect the vehicle performance.

2E engine is 12 valve you may please ask your mechanic for adjustment Valve clearance: Intake: 0.20 mm Exhaust: 0.20 mm. Ignition system is CDI distributor so carefully timing shall be readjusted. 2E engine with manual transmission can comfortably give you fuel economy of 10+km / litre with aircon in city driving 12+ over highway

click me
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

have you had the cars fuel filter changed? and besides that are u sure your using the correct heatrange of spark plugs?
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very ruff, mean place, and no matter how tuff you think you are, it will always bring you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.You or nobody ain't never gonna hit as hard as life, but it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward. If you know what you're worth, go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hit."
    - Sylvester Stallone

9. 12-09-2014, 01:20 AM

Site Banned

Reason
    Commercial Selling

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List