Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Suggest an engine for toyota corolla E90

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    haroon.virk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Tobatek singh
    Posts
    350
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default Suggest an engine for toyota corolla E90

    Asalamu Alaikum everyone.

    Dear friends I need your help/guidance regarding engine swap. I have a toyota corolla e90. I want to swap its engine as the current engine is not good anymore. I also did some research about engines. Here are 4 engines in my point of view (come to know about these engines during research):

    3S-GTE 4th Gen
    2ZZ-GE VVTL-i
    4A-GE 20v Blacktop
    4A-GZE

    Now tell me which is most suitable for e90 from these 4 engines? OR tell me other engines which are suitable for e90.
    Thanks...

  2. #2
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,405
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    2ZZ-GE - motorcycle type revvy engine - no guts at low rpm but shines like a beacon at high rpm

    4AGE 20V black - the last of the old iron 4A engines - lovely powerband, super high CR (use premium branded fuel + HOBC), extremely nice song at high rpm when the intake trumpets scream.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  3. #3
    PakWheeler Follow
    haroon.virk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Tobatek singh
    Posts
    350
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    2ZZ-GE - motorcycle type revvy engine - no guts at low rpm but shines like a beacon at high rpm

    4AGE 20V black - the last of the old iron 4A engines - lovely powerband, super high CR (use premium branded fuel + HOBC), extremely nice song at high rpm when the intake trumpets scream.
    So what is your suggestion, as I don't know much about engines.

  4. #4
    PakWheeler Follow
    haroon.virk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Tobatek singh
    Posts
    350
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    so what is your suggestion, as I don't know much about engines.

  5. #5
    PakWheeler Follow
    haroon.virk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Tobatek singh
    Posts
    350
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    And what is the difference between premium branded fuel & HOBC? Also give some detail about these things.

  6. #6
    PakWheeler Follow
    haroon.virk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Tobatek singh
    Posts
    350
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    39355 members on pakweels, and still no reply from anybody expect one person........strange

  7. #7
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    asad1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,707
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    If it's daily runner go for 4efe or 5afe

    Sent from my GT-I9105 using PW Forums mobile app

  8. #8
    PakWheeler Follow
    haroon.virk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Tobatek singh
    Posts
    350
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asad1 View Post
    If it's daily runner go for 4efe or 5afe

    Sent from my GT-I9105 using PW Forums mobile app
    Yes its a daily runner, and according to this I have these considerations:
    1ZZFE 1.8L
    3ZZFE 1.6L
    4AFE 1.6L
    4AGE 16v Redtop (3rd Gen)

    Now what you suggest??

  9. #9
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,405
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    do you know how to wire up the ZZ engines - and are you sure the ones you are buying do not have some immobiliser type ECU with them.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  10. #10
    PakWheeler Follow
    haroon.virk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Tobatek singh
    Posts
    350
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    do you know how to wire up the ZZ engines - and are you sure the ones you are buying do not have some immobiliser type ECU with them.
    NO I don't know :-(
    And I am not sure.
    Please clear your inbox, as I tried to send some msgs but could not able.

  11. #11
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    ahmed2396's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,330
    Follows
    5
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    2
    Good Answers
    7

    Default

    The best will be 4AFE 16V, 20V or 2ZZ are not advisable and would require much alteration.

  12. #12
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,405
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    2ZZ will fit without problem but its wiring is a bit more complex than the chai paratha 4AFE which anyone can wire up with their eyes closed.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  13. #13
    PakWheeler Follow
    haroon.virk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Tobatek singh
    Posts
    350
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedraja1996 View Post
    The best will be 4AFE 16V, 20V or 2ZZ are not advisable and would require much alteration.
    Yes you are right, that's why I already dropped 20v and 2ZZ. 4AFE is not easily available now a days, I didn't get its price from peshawar, the person said that it is not available. As 4AFE is rare now and difficult to find in good condition, so it is now being replaced by 5AFE and I don't like 5AFE as it is under power than 4AFE. 4AFE is the king of AFE series. If 1ZZ & 3ZZ series did not fit properly, than I would probably go for 4AFE.

  14. #14
    PakWheeler Follow
    haroon.virk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Tobatek singh
    Posts
    350
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    2ZZ will fit without problem but its wiring is a bit more complex than the chai paratha 4AFE which anyone can wire up with their eyes closed.
    Xulfiqar bhai I have a lot of questions to ask to you.

    I am not going for 2ZZ, now I am going for 1ZZ & 3ZZ. Now you tell me that can 1ZZ or 3ZZ is a better option?
    If yes than can they fit easily? What type of alterations & how much modifications have to be done to engine bay?

    Also tell me that If I put 1ZZFE or 3ZZFE instead of 4AFE, is the car remains stable? As 4AFE is heavier than 1ZZ or 3ZZ, is this less weight has any issue?

    I have also heard that 1ZZ & 3ZZ are good than 4AFE in all terms like power, economy, maintenance, etc. Is it right??

  15. #15
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    surplusstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,301
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Although 1zz and 3zz are newer engines as compare to A series engine. But i will suggest you to got for A series engines as need no alteration in engine bay. Keep it original
    SURPLUS STUFF.

  16. #16
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    ahmed2396's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,330
    Follows
    5
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    2
    Good Answers
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by haroon.virk View Post
    Yes you are right, that's why I already dropped 20v and 2ZZ. 4AFE is not easily available now a days, I didn't get its price from peshawar, the person said that it is not available. As 4AFE is rare now and difficult to find in good condition, so it is now being replaced by 5AFE and I don't like 5AFE as it is under power than 4AFE. 4AFE is the king of AFE series. If 1ZZ & 3ZZ series did not fit properly, than I would probably go for 4AFE.
    you can check lahore bilal gunj and peshawar shoba, you can get 4AFE 16V if unable to find then 7AFE and 5AFE would be very good options and will fit easily into engine bay and your pocket.

  17. #17
    PakWheeler Follow
    haroon.virk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Tobatek singh
    Posts
    350
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by surplusstock View Post
    Although 1zz and 3zz are newer engines as compare to A series engine. But i will suggest you to got for A series engines as need no alteration in engine bay. Keep it original
    You are right, A series didn't require any alteration, only one mount of timing belt side has to be changed. And what alterations has to be done for ZZ series?
    But don't you think that it is difficult to find 4AFE in good condition?

  18. #18
    PakWheeler Follow
    haroon.virk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Tobatek singh
    Posts
    350
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedraja1996 View Post
    you can check lahore bilal gunj and peshawar shoba, you can get 4AFE 16V if unable to find then 7AFE and 5AFE would be very good options and will fit easily into engine bay and your pocket.
    I didn't check lahore bilal gunj market yet, but definitely also check there.
    The prices which I got from peshawar are:
    1ZZFE 1.8L = 100k
    3ZZFE 1.6L = 95k
    4AFE 1.6L = N/a
    5AFE 1.6L = 75 to 80k
    4AGE 16v Red top (3rd Gen) = 75k

    You can easily see the difference between prices.
    Both 5AFE and 7AFE are under power than 4AFE. In AFE series there is only one; that is 4AFE
    One of my relatives has 4AFE in his corolla e90 and they are very happy from its performance.

  19. #19
    PakWheeler Follow
    Muhammad_asii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    are u serious? 7AFE is under power than 4AFe..........
    check following links and decide...
    TOYOTA Engines
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/eng...cs-all-engines

    also detailed comparison between 4AFE & 7AEF...
    Toyota 4A-F and 7A-FE engines

  20. #20
    PakWheeler Follow
    Khurram26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    38
    Posts
    276
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by haroon.virk View Post
    Asalamu Alaikum everyone.

    Dear friends I need your help/guidance regarding engine swap. I have a toyota corolla e90. I want to swap its engine as the current engine is not good anymore. I also did some research about engines. Here are 4 engines in my point of view (come to know about these engines during research):

    3S-GTE 4th Gen
    2ZZ-GE VVTL-i
    4A-GE 20v Blacktop
    4A-GZE

    Now tell me which is most suitable for e90 from these 4 engines? OR tell me other engines which are suitable for e90.
    Thanks...
    Why don't you go for 1NZ FE ? I'm talking about the later models with electronic throttle. Similarly, newer 2NZ FE would also be a good choice.
    The reason why I'm recommending 1NZ is that it is light, makes good power and is fuel efficient. The difference between this 1.5 and a 1.8 isn't too great in terms of acceleration. Plus it is a new engine, you will be able to find one in good nick and then it is easy to wire up too considering that you can easily get one with uncut wiring.

    Even the 1.3 2NZ-FE could be a good choice given the fact that it makes much more power than your original 2E and is more fuel efficient. Parts are abundantly available and it will also not require any suspension or brake upgrade.

    I will not recommend going for any performance oriented engine because other that the 3S-GTE, no Toyota 1.8 produces serious racing power. They are all daily runners.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •