Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default 3ZZFE Engine rebuild- Strong Tapping Sound from first start

Dear Seniors and Members,
    Need your guidance on my corolla 2002 engine which has just been overhauled. I got the block and head repaired with local (best in KHI) as it was little damaged due to overheated gasket & water problem. To cut the story, once the whole job is done by my local mechanic, on the very first start it had loud tapping noise in idle and increase with the speed. He said it will go away, let the oil run through but the noise did not reduce and feels like it is coming from valve. Either the valve clearance is not calibrated correctly or issue with the dubboos or may be with tappet or ALLAH knows better. I m confused and worried.

I got Piston, rings , valves and other small parts replaced in this overhaul.

Need your guidance and prayers to get this issues resolve, as i have spent good amount of money on this job.

Regards,
    Ali.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ask him to re tight the Cam assy bolts. Usually our local ustad's don't had the torque wrenchs so they tight it with their andaza... so first re tight the bolts then recheck the valve clearance.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bro local mechanics are usually of the belief that tappets (valve clearances) need to be loose for a new engine which is absolutely rubbish.

Get the tappets gaps adjusted.
    Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by autumn_within View Post
    Need your guidance on my corolla 2002 engine which has just been overhauled. I got the block and head repaired with local (best in KHI) as it was little damaged due to overheated gasket & water problem. To cut the story, once the whole job is done by my local mechanic, on the very first start it had loud tapping noise in idle and increase with the speed. He said it will go away, let the oil run through but the noise did not reduce and feels like it is coming from valve. Either the valve clearance is not calibrated correctly or issue with the dubboos or may be with tappet or ALLAH knows better. I m confused and worried.

Need your guidance and prayers to get this issues resolve, as i have spent good amount of money on this job.

Regards,
    Ali.
    What other people are saying seems to be the general source of problem.

The Tappets ( rocker arms ) usually cause that kind of noise, but it is too rapid to distinguish.

My suggestion would be to double check the timing chain/belt and the tensioner pulley assembly.
    Next check what did they do with the valve stems
    next check what did they do with the cam shaft.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rajaatta View Post
    Ask him to re tight the Cam assy bolts. Usually our local ustad's don't had the torque wrenchs so they tight it with their andaza... so first re tight the bolts then recheck the valve clearance.
    Torque wrench is supposed to give accurate tightness to a certain bolt, doesnt mean it'd overcome under torque only, it's used to check the over torque too. in simpler words, not too tight, not too loose- just adequate.
    ''Peace is an unstable equilibrium,that can only be preserved by acknowledged supremacy and...equal power.'' ''We give up the fort when there is not a man left to defend it.''

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by autumn_within View Post

Regards,
    Ali.
    there is equal chance of either loose rockers or else its a bye bye situation for bearings in the block (happens in most of the cases) if you get the block reopened you may find a couple of spung main or road bearing.
    and no, this won't get decreased if you keep on driving the car, slap your mechanic and ask him to fix it all.
    ''Peace is an unstable equilibrium,that can only be preserved by acknowledged supremacy and...equal power.'' ''We give up the fort when there is not a man left to defend it.''

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by immad100 View Post
    Torque wrench is supposed to give accurate tightness to a certain bolt, doesnt mean it'd overcome under torque only, it's used to check the over torque too. in simpler words, not too tight, not too loose- just adequate.
    Ussally every time these scumbags on the road tight the bolts on there. Andaza resulting in loose bolts under few revolutions happens many time in my analysis. So they blame on loose tappet. Thats wrong. This engine doesnt had any rocker arms its shim type tappets which cannot be adjusted in matter of minutes he often needs to change the shims with the oversize one to overcome with this situation. Thanks for letting me know about torque rachetttttt kind of thing which comes from maaaaaars.

And his vehicle crank and connector rod bearings are not over yet if he is lucky...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

it does not even use shims - you buy the whole bucket to set the gap. Did he clean out and correctly reinstall the VVTi actuator? if its not correctly installed or its internal sliding mechanism leaf springs are bad, the engine will rattle on startup, also make sure he correctly tensions the timing chain and when the timing case is installed in place there is a little hole in it that feeds the tensioner to pump it up. When the engine sealant is being applied - careful attention is required to keep the bead exactly 3mm wide and about 4mm away from the inner lip of the case when laying down the sealant. If the sealant was smeared with fingers and he used cheap rtv. the timing chain tensioner will not pump up.

btw - as mentioned above, if you are trying to repair an aluminium cast engine without torque ratchets - then the game is already over. Restart the build again. The torque values are there for a reason, specially when the engine comes upto normal temperature
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I suspect it is the sound coming out of bent or damaged valves. Did you get the valve seats rebuilt or changed the valves?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rajaatta View Post
    Ussally every time these scumbags on the road tight the bolts on there. Andaza resulting in loose bolts under few revolutions happens many time in my analysis. So they blame on loose tappet. Thats wrong. This engine doesnt had any rocker arms its shim type tappets which cannot be adjusted in matter of minutes he often needs to change the shims with the oversize one to overcome with this situation. Thanks for letting me know about torque rachetttttt kind of thing which comes from maaaaaars.

And his vehicle crank and connector rod bearings are not over yet if he is lucky...
    i'm not a toyota guy thanks for letting me know it has no rocker arms. @cRaNk and C.rod bearings, mate you went inside the engine that you know about the condition of bearings or what? what made you say that they arent supposed to be over yet? OP didnt mention he got them new imo that was my assumption cause ive been through such situations many times while passing through honda builds.
    ps:problem we often see here is that these guys give over torque to the bolts ''mostly'', obviously they're taught to use their tools at extreme limits especially when it's about setting up the bolts or else your mechanic could be a patient of chronic arthritis lol.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by immad100 View Post
    i'm not a toyota guy thanks for letting me know it has no rocker arms. @cRaNk and C.rod bearings, mate you went inside the engine that you know about the condition of bearings or what? what made you say that they arent supposed to be over yet? OP didnt mention he got them new imo that was my assumption cause ive been through such situations many times while passing through honda builds.
    ps:problem we often see here is that these guys give over torque to the bolts ''mostly'', obviously they're taught to use their tools at extreme limits especially when it's about setting up the bolts or else your mechanic could be a patient of chronic arthritis lol.
    You will be right in your boots. But if you carefully read the text posted by op then you will know that he had rebuilded the engine and on furst start the noise was there. It is qell known that these scumbags roadside mechanics are fool but not that fool that had not tighten the main and con bearings he had done it correctly. And the second thing which op mentioned is the noise is coming from upper assy not from below. Toyota's are more simpler than hondas. Hondas rebuilds become pain of the head if not done properly.

I did not went inside the engine to see the bearings are fine or not because I cant do it instead you can do it as you had mentioned me. First of all. Plz read the topic carefully and try to understand this fazool language.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    btw - as mentioned above, if you are trying to repair an aluminium cast engine without torque ratchets - then the game is already over.
    plz explain in detail why we should rebuilt a aluminium cast engine without torque ratchets and the local mechanic "so called ustaads" do it all the time

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List