Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Corolla 2.0D Saloon Engine and Transmission problem.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Corolla 2.0D Saloon Engine and Transmission problem.

AOA members,

i have a corolla 2.0D saloon, 2003 which has started to create problems when i took it to Pakistan tour in January 2015, before that engine had no issue whatsoever and used to start normally in single glow time and single self.

few things to notice before i mention the problems are, CSD is operational and pump and nozzles are calibrated from Cummins PK and it is timed with dial gauge, fans are auto, valve clearances as per manual i.e. 0.28-0.30mm.

Engine problems:

1 - Cold Starting problem with missing, knocking and white smoke - [SOLVED post#25] - does not start when engine is cold and if push started it produces a lot of white smoke and knocking, before the tour i changed its glow plugs as old plugs were taking about 8,9 seconds to fully glow up while new ones were glowing in 6 seconds, cold start issue was initially because of a weak wire from battery to glow plugs, after changing the wire problem was slightly resolved and engine used to start after 3 glow timers but later on it totally refused to start irrespective of the glow timers.

my electrician took out the glow plugs for checking purpose and found oil on the 1st and 3rd glow plug from the pulley, i also feel that knocking sound i also from the 3rd cylinder or somewhere near it.

yesterday i checked the resistance of glow plugs and it was found to be 0.4-0.5 ohm of all four plugs so i again installed old glow plugs whose resistance was varying from 0.9-1.8 ohm and today morning i gave 3 glow timers and it started with 4,5 self and knocking was there but much reduced on old glow plugs.

2 - Starter motor - [SOLVED post#11] - Mechanics say that the starter motor is taking load and not rotating the engine at the speed it should to start it that's why the engine does not start in cold, i do agree with them to the extent that starter motor is somehow slow but it was starting the engine without any knocking n missing and still it starts the hot engine perfectly, now even if i push start it, engine misses and knocks on cold.

Gear problem:

- while i was on the tour, car's 5th gear suddenly came to the position between reverse and 5th just as i left accelerator, when engaged it again into 5th and left clutch there was some sound from the gear it again came between 5th and reverse so without taking any risk i drove it in 4th gear all the way to Karachi. now showed it to a gear mechanic n he said 'faag kat gai hai isski' and if i forcefully keep it in 5th while leaving clutch it'll work fine and the same happened, now i have to hold the gear while leaving clutch in 5th gear.

-speedometer sensor is installed in gear and its not working properly because original 'garari' of #32-27 is not available. when i cold start it the speedometer doesn't work, after a drive of around 5-7kms speedometer slowly starts working but does not show accurate speed like if i am driving on 60 speedometer will show 50 and if i keep the accelerator pressed speed needle stays constant on wrong speed while if i leave the accelerator the needle starts dancing between 10-20 when actual speed is 30, between 50-60 when actual speed is 70, etc

-gear gets hard if the ambient temperature is high or if driven with ac or the car is continuously driven on high rpm like when 5th gear wasn't being engaged so while driving on 4th gear rpm was above 3000 rpm n gear got hard, and it is not only hard it gets extremely hard to shift it, however its perfect when cold or driven without ac or on low rpm.

last year i thought that my car had starting issue when its hot because the starter acted as if battery is down when starting on engine's optimum temperature but i was wrong and found that if i start the car with clutch pressed the starter would act normal so it means the hard gear also makes the starter motor work slow.

-considering the above problems shall i replace the gear or get it repaired ? and idea of its cost ?

@Xulfiqar bhai and other senior members kindly help.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar bhai please see post # 19.

and one more query, i have bought and installed the thermostat valve of 4A engine in 2C (as u guided me that they r same). now i want to pour in coolant, i went to Toyota Eastern and they showed me two kinds of coolant, one was 4L premixed for Rs. 2,500 and another was 1L for Rs.2,100 which was to be mixed later on. now which one is for me and how much liters should i buy ?? i have also collected 8,9L AC water for mixing purpose.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the two coolants toyota sell are red and pink, one has a life of 3 years and one has a life of 5 years. Red is sold as concentrate and pink is sold as ready to pour.

Both are usable in your engine.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Which one has life of 5 years ? I'll pour in that one. And how many liters would be needed ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

pink is the 5 year (I have seen it work for more than 5 years too)

you will need about 7 litres in total - pink is only sold as ready to pour, it will be quite more expensive than the red due to this
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Salman922 View Post
    on 31st March (4 days back), Rameez bhai - @raftechs901 checked its timing with dial gauge and it was considerably retard as compared to what is suggested by you, @raftechs901 will quote exact figures.

now the problem is that how did the timing of pump automatically changed as 10 months back it was also set by dial gauge and after that NO ONE touched the timing of pump as i never leave the car unattended with mechanics. now i feel that engine sound is slightly increased and clattery even after being on optimum temperature, pick up also seems to be slightly increased.

coming to the starting issue, it is same as before even after re-timing the engine. every mechanic with whom i have discussed the problem says 'head ka kaam hai' and even now i too think that when i have played around with timing and glow plugs and no solution so now i may have to leave my car on mechanic's rehem o karam !

one more thing that i noticed was, when i went for timing, engine was on optimum temperature, after the work was done and packed i switched on and the heat needle showed almost 25% of the gauge, now when i started it then too engine nailed but much softer as compared to when it is dead cold. nailing pattern was also little different, like it nailed for few seconds then became normal for a second, then again nailing and then being normal and then coming in normal idling state gradually.

now a latest cold start issue which happened today on dead cold start was engine was taking self and heavy jerks - as if engine was about to start and i stopped cranking it. and then finally it started after a very very long self and huge cloud of black smoke !
    Quote Originally Posted by raftechs901 View Post
    Before timing 5.5 mm at TDC
    after timing 8.5 mm at TDC

@Xulfiqar bhai please see the bold part of timing issue, how it changed by itself ? and after how much interval should i retime the engine ??

problem of cold start was solved by @raftechs901 intake shim of 4th cylinder was faulty so replaced, after that performance also improved and cold start is also perfect now.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

on 31st March (4 days back), Rameez bhai - @raftechs901 checked its timing with dial gauge and it was considerably retard as compared to what is suggested by you, @raftechs901 will quote exact figures.

now the problem is that how did the timing of pump automatically changed as 10 months back it was also set by dial gauge and after that NO ONE touched the timing of pump as i never leave the car unattended with mechanics. now i feel that engine sound is slightly increased and clattery even after being on optimum temperature, pick up also seems to be slightly increased.

coming to the starting issue, it is same as before even after re-timing the engine. every mechanic with whom i have discussed the problem says 'head ka kaam hai' and even now i too think that when i have played around with timing and glow plugs and no solution so now i may have to leave my car on mechanic's rehem o karam !

one more thing that i noticed was, when i went for timing, engine was on optimum temperature, after the work was done and packed i switched on and the heat needle showed almost 25% of the gauge, now when i started it then too engine nailed but much softer as compared to when it is dead cold. nailing pattern was also little different, like it nailed for few seconds then became normal for a second, then again nailing and then being normal and then coming in normal idling state gradually.

now a latest cold start issue which happened today on dead cold start was engine was taking self and heavy jerks - as if engine was about to start and i stopped cranking it. and then finally it started after a very very long self and huge cloud of black smoke !
    Quote Originally Posted by raftechs901 View Post
    Before timing 5.5 mm at TDC
    after timing 8.5 mm at TDC

@Xulfiqar bhai please see the bold part of timing issue, how it changed by itself ? and after how much interval should i retime the engine ??

problem of cold start was solved by @raftechs901 intake shim of 4th cylinder was faulty so replaced, after that performance also improved and cold start is also perfect now.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    pink is the 5 year (I have seen it work for more than 5 years too)

you will need about 7 litres in total - pink is only sold as ready to pour, it will be quite more expensive than the red due to this

ready to pour one is for 2500 for 4 liters (dont remember if its pink or red). so i'll have to buy 8 liters for 5000.

once a spare part shop owner told me that he has a person who makes coolant as per engine's requirement. is this possible ? shall i trust him and go ahead if its cost effective as compared to buying from stealership ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the engine should be retimed whenever you disturb the timing belt. It does not change on its own unless the belt stretches out.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ready to pour one is for 2500 for 4 liters (dont remember if its pink or red). so i'll have to buy 8 liters for 5000.

once a spare part shop owner told me that he has a person who makes coolant as per engine's requirement. is this possible ? shall i trust him and go ahead if its cost effective as compared to buying from stealership ?
    for economy sake buy the 4 litre red concentrate and cut it with distilled water, it will yield 8 litres of prepped coolant.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the engine should be retimed whenever you disturb the timing belt. It does not change on its own unless the belt stretches out.
    Sir how to know if the belt has stretched or not ? It was installed last year and seemed fine while timing the engine a week back !

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

was it a genuine belt?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

was it a genuine belt?
    No sir. It was of 'bandoo' brand.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

No sir. It was of 'bandoo' brand.
    that maybe your problem, There are tons of strange belts out there in Pakistan.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

for economy sake buy the 4 litre red concentrate and cut it with distilled water, it will yield 8 litres of prepped coolant.

Concentrated 1L is for Rs.2100. Buying that 4L will be even more expensive as compared to ready to pour for 2500 each of 4L.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I think you can buy Mercedes Benz coolant cheaper than that.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Why you are not try ZIC Coolant-good as well and economical?
    Engineer + Car's Passion = Enthusiastic Personality.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

that maybe your problem, There are tons of strange belts out there in Pakistan.

or maybe i am making a mistake in timing the engine ? the timing mark on engine and pump also has a significant gap now (pump advanced now). last time when timed with dial gauge the timing marks were almost together ! does that matter ?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I think you can buy Mercedes Benz coolant cheaper than that.
    can u guide me where i will find Mercedes coolant in Karachi ? i don't think it will be easily available ? and whats the code/type of coolant of Mercedes that i need ?

Quote Originally Posted by galant1 View Post
    Why you are not try ZIC Coolant-good as well and economical?
    i think it wont suite the diesel engine ? or it will ? @Xulfiqar bhai please confirm.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

or maybe i am making a mistake in timing the engine ? the timing mark on engine and pump also has a significant gap now (pump advanced now). last time when timed with dial gauge the timing marks were almost together ! does that matter ?
    @Xulfiqar bhai this pic is what i was trying to explain regarding the timing marks ! Now this is timed with dial gauge but engine seems advanced !?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar bhai this pic is what i was trying to explain regarding the timing marks ! Now this is timed with dial gauge but engine seems advanced !?

@Xulfiqar bhai have a look please.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

User Tag List